Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is the OOP 'Ran' Criterion worth hunting down?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-14, 02:33 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...or should I just get the studio canal blu-ray?

I've been on a bit of a Kurosawa kick lately, picked up the Criterions of Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Yojimbo and The Hidden Fortress. I've never seen Ran but have heard great things and am intrigued by a more modern Kurosawa film.

Is it worth seeking the Criterion edition on ebay, or will other cheaper editions do just fine? I've seen this DVD go for between $30 and $100 depending on condition/completeness.
Old 09-03-14, 09:54 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Is the OOP 'Ran' Criterion worth hunting down?

It depends on how much you want the extras. Really the only thing that you are missing by not getting the CC disc are a commentary, Sydney Lumet talking about the movie, and the It's Beautiful to Create about the movie. Those extras are good but unless you are flush with a ton of disposable income or plan to rewatch the extras on a regular basis I wouldn't recommend dropping the $50 on a disc if you can get the movie in better quality for cheaper. I got my copy on blu-ray for under $10.

If you are going to drop the money on an Out of Print Kurosawa I'd suggest trying to find a copy of the BCI release of The Quiet Duel. It's a very underrated film, the dvd looks as good as it will probably ever look, and it features interviews with some of the surviving members of the cast and crew.

I will add that the Kagemusha dvd has an extra essay in the book that was dropped from the blu-ray version. That upset some people enough to keep both versions of the movie.