DVD Talk
Is the OOP 'Ran' Criterion worth hunting down? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Is the OOP 'Ran' Criterion worth hunting down?

dvdcooler
09-02-14, 03:33 PM
...or should I just get the studio canal blu-ray?

I've been on a bit of a Kurosawa kick lately, picked up the Criterions of Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Yojimbo and The Hidden Fortress. I've never seen Ran but have heard great things and am intrigued by a more modern Kurosawa film.

Is it worth seeking the Criterion edition on ebay, or will other cheaper editions do just fine? I've seen this DVD go for between $30 and $100 depending on condition/completeness.

flansered
09-03-14, 10:54 AM
It depends on how much you want the extras. Really the only thing that you are missing by not getting the CC disc are a commentary, Sydney Lumet talking about the movie, and the It's Beautiful to Create about the movie. Those extras are good but unless you are flush with a ton of disposable income or plan to rewatch the extras on a regular basis I wouldn't recommend dropping the $50 on a disc if you can get the movie in better quality for cheaper. I got my copy on blu-ray for under $10.

If you are going to drop the money on an Out of Print Kurosawa I'd suggest trying to find a copy of the BCI release of The Quiet Duel. It's a very underrated film, the dvd looks as good as it will probably ever look, and it features interviews with some of the surviving members of the cast and crew.

I will add that the Kagemusha dvd has an extra essay in the book that was dropped from the blu-ray version. That upset some people enough to keep both versions of the movie.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0