Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

New to comics! a year later

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New to comics! a year later

So last year i started reading comics casually thanks to the popularity of the marvel movies and my interest in checking out Extinction Parade.

So i Found a local comic books store (minus the other 3 local stores i try and rotate thru to get stuff my store don't get) and now have a pull which isnt too bad but ever growing. (usually 20-30$ a week)

I also got two coworkers into reading which one never read anything and the other would causally pick up a wolverine issue every so often now goto the lcbs every week for theyre pull with me after work.

I also incorporated comics with my job by starting a comic book club which is encouraged autistic/mr adults to read or atleast express themselves in art projects.

one year ago I had a stack of about 5 walking dead trades.

now I have about 8 short boxes and around 250 trades
I was most surprised in 70% of my pull is DC and rest is Indie
I got burnt on Marvel with too many bi monthly releases and meaningless tie in issues that killed my wallet.
The Only Marvel book I have on my pull is Miracleman

Now having so much to read the back issues started getting crazy on me (i mean 8 long boses really?) im curious to know how big is some of yall collections?

Im trying to cut down on the collection bc it takes up a lot of room

I signed up for Unlimited to read all the old issues so i don't need to hoard up all the past issues, but may try to find the essentials for cheap and DC showcases to read up on the older stuff *the gaps in unlimited drives me nuts*

My favorite stories so far:
Preacher
Infinity Gauntlet
Animal Man - Morrisson's run(enjoying Lemires n52 stuff too)
Forever Evil
Miracle Man
Captain America - Brubaker
Old 08-24-14, 07:52 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New to comics! a year later

My collection is 12 long boxes, I stopped buying regular issues and went digital to save on room. I started collecting in the 80's and stopped in the early 90's. I recently got back into collecting again, and I'm trying to sell my collection so I can get everything digital.
Old 08-25-14, 07:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

It's hard to stop once you get hooked.

I got hooked on comics at age 6 or so, and attempts at quitting have never taken. I'm up to about 50 long boxes, 6 bookcases full of trades, and 6000 or so digital books.

If you digitized all of my physical books I'd give up 99% of them; but until I get it legal digital form I can't see myself selling much of it due to silly nostalgia and love of collecting runs/characters/artists.
Old 08-25-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 777 Likes on 377 Posts

I have over 30 long boxes in my basement, and I quit cold turkey a couple of years ago. I just couldn't justify the expense anymore with 3 young children to care for. Only books I've accumulated since I quit are free comic book day books, and there's only about 5 of those that I've kept (the rest I let my kids have, and they inevitably get ripped to shreds).

I'd like to sell my collection, and I know most of them aren't worth dick, but if I sell it in bulk, I'd be afraid of letting one or two things that might be valuable slip out with the rest. I just don't have the time to go thru it all though, so it just sits.
Old 08-25-14, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I have over 30 long boxes in my basement, and I quit cold turkey a couple of years ago. I just couldn't justify the expense anymore with 3 young children to care for. Only books I've accumulated since I quit are free comic book day books, and there's only about 5 of those that I've kept (the rest I let my kids have, and they inevitably get ripped to shreds).

I'd like to sell my collection, and I know most of them aren't worth dick, but if I sell it in bulk, I'd be afraid of letting one or two things that might be valuable slip out with the rest. I just don't have the time to go thru it all though, so it just sits.
thats where a trustworthy cbs owner comes into play.

he will take in collections someones wanting to sell but has no clue about what theyre worth and go thru em. A couple weeks ago he got a collection in where a roommate left his collection in the appt and moved out and didnt want them. so this kid and his dad brought em in not know what anything was worth. we went thru it and he had alot of full runs and like 5 Wolverines #1.

he showed them what was worth money and what theyre going for on ebay and told him what he was willing to pay for it so he could decide what was the way he wanted to go. he ended up deciding it wasnt worth the time ebaying and sold him the collection and I got a cheap almost complete run of wolverine
Old 08-25-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 777 Likes on 377 Posts

I do have a cbs owner that I dealt with for many years and I'm sure wouldn't cheat me. I just don't think he'd be interested in 30+ boxes worth of my comics, especially because there's hardly anything older than the mid nineties.
Old 08-25-14, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 826 Likes on 698 Posts

They have groups to help with the addiction.

Marvel's business plan seems to target the new addict, they like fresh junkies. DC gets them after they've been burnt out.

Speaking of exposure outside the comics world, Marvel has 4 actual issues of a single arc bundled together in a trade paperback format featuring popular characters. This is a new thing I just saw at the stands in Walmart, going for $5! That's definitely the most attractive value I've seen from anything comic book-related in years.
Old 08-25-14, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
They have groups to help with the addiction.

Marvel's business plan seems to target the new addict, they like fresh junkies. DC gets them after they've been burnt out.

Speaking of exposure outside the comics world, Marvel has 4 actual issues of a single arc bundled together in a trade paperback format featuring popular characters. This is a new thing I just saw at the stands in Walmart, going for $5! That's definitely the most attractive value I've seen from anything comic book-related in years.
They come with digital codes for the actual collections too!

Would love to see $1 kid friendly comics back on the newsstands from DC and Marvel. You'd think that even as a loss leader they could grow the audience and attract some new addicts fans.
Old 08-26-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,554 Posts

What kinds of collections are those?

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I've been trying to introduce physical comics to my kids... of course, they don't pay for them or know what it's worth, but I've been buying up the DC kids packs from DCBS and reading them with them.
Old 08-26-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
What kinds of collections are those?

I don't know what's wrong with me, but I've been trying to introduce physical comics to my kids... of course, they don't pay for them or know what it's worth, but I've been buying up the DC kids packs from DCBS and reading them with them.
The Spider-Man one collects Amazing Spider-Man 648-651 in trade paperback format for $5 and comes with a digital code. It's obvious bait meant to hook curious readers from outside the comic book world. They have a couple of different ones featuring Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'd still be purchasing practically every monthly if they all came in this format. They have to be selling them at a loss.
Old 08-26-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,554 Posts

I should note that besides the kids comics, I have started (or will start) to pick up some monthlies. I started with Teen Titans (and the early reviews do not look promising), Multiversity, and the new Batgirl creative team. This is the first time I've picked up monthlies outside of FCBD since near the start of the new 52, I think.

Ah, it's a deal between walmart and marvel:

http://comicsalliance.com/marvel-wal...de-paperbacks/

Last edited by fujishig; 08-26-14 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-26-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The only other place I've seen monthlies outside of a comic shop and regular bookstores was Toys 'R Us. I don't know how often they replenish them but they looked up to date to me.
Old 08-26-14, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
I should note that besides the kids comics, I have started (or will start) to pick up some monthlies. I started with Teen Titans (and the early reviews do not look promising), Multiversity, and the new Batgirl creative team. This is the first time I've picked up monthlies outside of FCBD since near the start of the new 52, I think.

Ah, it's a deal between walmart and marvel:

http://comicsalliance.com/marvel-wal...de-paperbacks/
Hmmm, that article claims they are cheaper in print quality. I handled them all and none of them looked or felt any different than any other normal trade paperback.
Old 08-26-14, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Hmmm, that article claims they are cheaper in print quality. I handled them all and none of them looked or felt any different than any other normal trade paperback.
The covers definitely feel flimsier to me.