Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sci-Fi Movies That Predicted Tech We Use Today?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-14, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I remember Minority Report had a scene where we see someone reading a newspaper on a Tablet. Also the Tech where Tom Cruise uses to navigate through touchscren/hand gesture and voice commands is very similar to Xbox One's Kinnect.
Old 08-24-14, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Sci-Fi Movies That Predicted Tech We Use Today?

The Island predicted the Kinect. It even predicted which platform would have the Kinect.
Old 08-24-14, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2001, released in 1968, shows Dave and Frank using what look exactly like iPads.

Old 08-24-14, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
2001, released in 1968, shows Dave and Frank using what look exactly like iPads.
And the tablets in 2001 also have the images framed in portrait mode instead of widescreen mode (or landscape mode), something that happens now in a lot of videos people take with their smartphones.

(I personally find it inexplicable why so many people film that way. Do they not know the videos will end up looking better if they just turned their smartphones sideways?).
Old 08-24-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
(I personally find it inexplicable why so many people film that way. Do they not know the videos will end up looking better if they just turned their smartphones sideways?).
Some people I know simply prefer them that way. Even with pictures where they are trying to get multiple subjects in one shot. I've had people get upset with me if I take a shot for them with their phone held sideways.
Old 08-24-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

And the tablets in 2001 also have the images framed in portrait mode instead of widescreen mode (or landscape mode), something that happens now in a lot of videos people take with their smartphones.

I recently had a former employee attempt to take a picture of her final check to send to me. She took four pictures on her phone in portrait mode in order to capture the check info all the way across. Instead of, you know, just turning her phone sideways & getting the entire check in one shot.

For some people, thinking really isn't an option.
Old 08-24-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well Star Trek had the communicators which are pretty similar to cell phones (especially older flip phones). There are also lots of older sci-fi movies that show some form of video messaging eerily similar to Skype and the like. Demolition Man and Minority Report had self-driving cars that we are pretty close to now with emergency braking and self-parking and whatnot.
Old 08-24-14, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Robocop (1987) had what was essentially a DVD.
Old 08-24-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It also has a hilariously far-fetched premise about Detroit going bankrupt. Wacky sci-fi writers . Who comes with this? Like that would ever happen .
Old 08-24-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember watching RoboCop as a kid and thinking the police cars looked futuristic. Today they all look like that. Something that's most likely totally lost on young people who watch it today.
Old 08-24-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

This has always been a chicken or egg thing for me. Did movies predict the technology, or influence the creation of it??
Old 08-24-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

In Conquest of Space (1955) they are watching a flat widescreen TV:

Old 08-24-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Ben-Hur they race chariots.
Old 08-24-14, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
It also has a hilariously far-fetched premise about Detroit going bankrupt. Wacky sci-fi writers . Who comes with this? Like that would ever happen .
If anything they undersold it too. Their "terrifying" portrayal of a future Detroit bankrupt and overrun with violent crime actually looks preferable to the real life Detroit we have now.
Old 08-24-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

. You're sadly correct, it turned out to be even more tragic than they predicted in some respects. Goddamn sad .

Originally Posted by Jory
I remember watching RoboCop as a kid and thinking the police cars looked futuristic. Today they all look like that. Something that's most likely totally lost on young people who watch it today.
Verhoeven and his art department spent a lot of time and money designing what were supposed to be "futuristic" cars, and apparently wound up with something which didn't look very good. They saw a Ford Taurus, decided "That looks futuristic!" And wound up going with it. Turned out to be fairly prescient.
Old 08-25-14, 09:41 AM

Was there ever any widespread adoption of Ford Taurus police cars? If they had gone with Crown Victorias instead, they would have really hit the nail on the head. They dominated the market for about 20 years starting in the mid-90's. Of course the Taurus police cars in RoboCop are more reminiscent of the sportier squad cars that are becoming popular now, like the Dodge Charger. So maybe they were forecasting further into the future than I am giving them credit for.
Old 08-25-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that the police have almost always used Crown Vics, though at least in my neck of the woods, they use new Taurus now, which a lot more upscale. I had one of those old upside down bathtub Taurus for years and years, apart from the transmission problems, it was one of Ford's best. It was used to hell when I got it, I used it to hell, and it ran remarkably well, all things considered. That particular body style stuck for a long time, and they're still fairly ubiquitous on the road.
Old 08-25-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Because that's the way people normally hold cell phones so they're used to that position.
Old 08-25-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It would seem to me if you've ever watched a video on a smartphone, you'd know that it can adjust orientation. That said, I took a video once and then related the phone for a moment before rotating it back, and it seems that it locks one or the other during playback, and turning it shrunk it down.
Old 08-25-14, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first time I watched Robocop, it was with a bunch of friends. When the Tauruses appeared someone said "Are those... Ford Tauruses?" And then we all had a good laugh.
Old 08-25-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Star Trek (both TV and Movies) predicted verbally asking computers questions in natural language in order to look up information, just like we do with Siri and Google Now ("OK Google").

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fJfkYjrbPS4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(according to Wikipedia, Google Now had "Majel" as a development codename, named after Majel Barrett, the voice of most Star Trek computers)
Old 08-25-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 08-25-14, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

The Running Man pretty much shows how most of our current reality television is digitally manipulated and how some contestants can be given a "villian" or "hero" edit.
Old 08-25-14, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are basically living Timecop right now.
Old 08-25-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
We are basically living Timecop right now.
Why am I not banging a smokin' hot Mia Sara?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.