Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Life On The Road - Mockumentary feat. The Office's David Brent - Ricky Gervais

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 11:39 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Ricky Gervais is to make a big screen outing centred around his character from the The Office, David Brent.

The film, Life On The Road, will chart Brent's progress in the 15 years since leaving the company at the centre of the hit BBC Two show.

Brent will be portrayed as a travelling salesman financing a UK concert tour in the hopes of fulfilling his dreams of becoming a rock star.

The BBC film is expected to go into production next year.

The movie will be made in the UK but is intended for worldwide distribution. The Office was shown in more than 100 countries, and was also remade for a number of local markets. including the US.

It originally ran in the UK on BBC Two from 2001 - 2003.

Gervais, who picked up a slew of awards for the show and his portrayal of Brent, went on to produce and star in Extras and Derek.

But he returned to his best known character, bringing Brent back for a Comic Relief special in 2013.

More recently, he revived the hapless character in a series of spoof videos on YouTube inviting viewers to learn the guitar with the former manager of Slough paper company Wernham Hogg.

The appearance led Gervais to take Brent and his band, Foregone Conclusion, out on the road for a number of live appearances.

In the new big screen outing, currently in development, Brent assumes the director is making a rockumentary in the vein of Martin Scorsese's film about the Rolling Stones - but it turns into a "where are they now"?

Brent, now a travelling cleaning product salesman, covers the cost of session musicians by raiding his pension pot because the returns from ticket sales for his concerts are so meagre.

The film is expected to follow the mockumentary style which characterised The Office and turned it into a huge - if at times painful to watch - small screen hit.

Last edited by dex14; 08-05-14 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-05-14, 12:25 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Ricky Gervais Making 'The Office' Movie Featuring His Character, David Brent

hmmm hope it's good
Old 08-05-14, 12:29 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Ricky Gervais Making 'The Office' Movie Featuring His Character, David Brent

It sounds interesting, but I fear it'll turn out to be unbearably depressing.
Old 08-05-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

This is going to turn out to be either really good, or really bad. Either way, I'll watch.
Old 08-05-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

As long as he's borrowing interest from past glories, why doesn't he try taking it to Broadway as a musical too? Ugh.
Old 08-05-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I wonder if Steven Merchant will be on board, too...?
Old 08-05-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 314 Likes on 201 Posts

Fuck yes
Old 08-05-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

God no.
Old 08-05-14, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Ricky Gervais just seems irritating these days; I'm not sure how that'll affect my feelings about this.
Old 08-05-14, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think enough time has passed for this to work. Hopefully they'll be able to get some of the other cast members back to.
Old 08-05-14, 08:00 PM

Original article wasn't sure if this was going to be theatrical or air on BBC...seems it will be a big screen release. Moving to Movie Talk.
Old 08-05-14, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Ricky seems to be running out of new things to do. That said, it will probably be great and hopefully he will revisit Extras next.
Old 08-05-14, 09:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Life On The Road - Mockumentary feat. The Office's David Brent - Ricky Gervais

His versions of The Office and Extras seemed too short a life with only 2 seasons at 6 episodes each. I always felt there was more he wanted to do with both.

But don't do any more Derek.
Old 08-05-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by stenix
I think enough time has passed for this to work. Hopefully they'll be able to get some of the other cast members back to.
I really hope none of the other cast members return for this. Tim and Dawn's series wrap was too utterly perfect to be messed with. As was how Brent left it with Chris Finch.

I hope he doesn't even step foot in Wernam Hogg to be honest. The Office ended so perfectly that I hope if this movie happens it will be Brent far removed from the whole Wernam Hogg, Slough stories. Hopefully he takes it in a whole new direction while staying true to the David Brent character.

That said, if I'm be totally honest, part of me WOULD like to see some sort of Gareth cameo, but only if done right.
Old 08-05-14, 10:18 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I wonder if Steven Merchant will be on board, too...?
I love Gervais, but I really hope Merchant is involved in the writing.
Old 08-05-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Re: Life On The Road - Mockumentary feat. The Office's David Brent - Ricky Gervais

Originally Posted by trespoochies
His versions of The Office and Extras seemed too short a life with only 2 seasons at 6 episodes each.
What about "Life's Too Short"?

Old 08-05-14, 11:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Nah, Warwick Davis was the big guy on that show and called the shots. Gervais and Merchant were his pawns.
Old 08-07-14, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll watch it but I wish Ricky would write something other than a mockumentary-style show.
Old 08-07-14, 08:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
I'll watch it but I wish Ricky would write something other than a mockumentary-style show.
You got your wish with The Invention of Lying.
Old 08-07-14, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ytrez
Originally Posted by Groucho
You got your wish with The Invention of Lying.
And Cemetery Junction.
Old 08-07-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

and Extras.
Old 10-19-15, 12:02 PM

@rickygervais Oct 17
Still buzzing from our first studio session this week recording the David Brent soundtrack album. Too much fun.
Old 10-19-15, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Didn't realize so many on this board dislike Gervais. I don't like everything he's done but generally enjoy him. The original version of The Office wasn't on all that long so I think there's some potential still left in revisiting the character.
Old 10-19-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I loved him back when the Office ran and the podcasts were awesome but he's worn out his welcome over the years. Did anyone watch Derek? God awful.

He tried this travelling salesman David Brent persona in the last two episodes of the Office but I'm afraid the magic is gone. I'll be surprised if he can make this work.
Old 10-19-15, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Gervais is a fairly empty shell without Merchant to work with.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.