Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hello, im new with a few questions...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-17-14, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really new the the DVD and film collecting world and its really fun. I am starting to see, that like all my other hobbies, it can get expensive. I started with Evils of the Night and since, i have gotten about 30 or so more horror films. my questtion is, with movies like Clownhouse, is $50-$60 expected? I know people will say you can alwaws find it cheaper, but im talking in general. second question, is there a website that i cab build my collection with cheaper movies, mabye like $2-3 movies?
Old 07-17-14, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Hello, im new with a few questions...

Considering "Clownhouse" is out of print because of rights issues, you will have to spend a lot to get a copy of the MGM DVD. That's just something that often happens. You can either spend the money, or wait until rights issues get solved. (Which may not happen for years to come...)

For $2-$3 movies, walmart bargain bins or labels like Mill Creek offer boxsets of multiple movies for low prices. Of course, with cheap prices it also means cheap quality.

Another thing you can do is go to local used shops to find used DVDs or Blu-rays.
Old 07-17-14, 11:19 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Each of these releases has 4 classic horror movies, and the cost per movie is just a few dollars. These are generally considered to be some of the best classic horror movies of all time:

http://www.amazon.com/Spotlight-Coll...versal+monster

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Monste...versal+monster

http://www.amazon.com/TCM-Greatest-C...=hammer+horror
Old 07-17-14, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by grundle
Each of these releases has 4 classic horror movies, and the cost per movie is just a few dollars. These are generally considered to be some of the best classic horror movies of all time:

http://www.amazon.com/Spotlight-Coll...versal+monster

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Monste...versal+monster

http://www.amazon.com/TCM-Greatest-C...=hammer+horror
I can vouch for those specific releases. Those Universal DVDs are from 1999 and are still great.
Old 07-18-14, 07:26 AM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.

Weekends offer the best opportunity for getting movies and TV Shows CHEAP. This is the times many households have a "Garage Sale" in order to sell things they no longer need (and make a little money on the side). Whenever I go "Yard Saleing" The first thing I ask the host "Do you have any videos?" Yes, it is a craps shot, many times the videos they have are either A. Not my kind of show or B. I all ready have that video. Hey, it's the thrill of the hunt. On the other hand some of the bargains I found were nothing less than INCREDIBLE. At one yard sale someone offered 10 "Godzilla" Movies foe 50 cents each. At another sale I came across over three dozen Movie Serials for a dime each. Three dollers changed hands and I took em away. The biggest bargain of them all took place when I purchased Four of the 'Next Generation" Star Trek (Thats Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise) for a wallet busting $100.00!

If you have the misfortune of discovering a Movie or TV Show is Out-of-Print you may find yourself a copy at someone's garage sale (I found copies of Animalympics & Mouse on the Mayflower, both of which would set you back over $100 if you bought them from "The Big River" for 50 cents each! On the naughty side a trailer park a little over a mile from my house has a neighborhood-wide garage salt every March and October. There is one family there that sells b**tleg DVDs. For one dollar I relieved them of a copy of Song of the South (If Disney ever makes an official copy of this movie I'd snatch it up, meantime the copy I have will tide me over). Seek and ye shall find!
Old 07-18-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only 4 movies each?! Bah, Go all out and get 'em all!
Old 07-18-14, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by manicsounds

Wow! Thanks for telling us about that.

However, please be aware that one of the links that I posted was for Hammer, not Universal.
Old 07-18-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Wow! Thanks for telling us about that.

However, please be aware that one of the links that I posted was for Hammer, not Universal.
Price wise you'd do better to pick up the sets individually (6 @ $27.98 for $167.88 - a ~$22 savings):

Dracula
Frankenstein
The Wolfman
The Mummy
The Invisible Man
Creature from the Black Lagoon

Doing this you would *not* get the box to hold them all, the booklet, and possibly Phantom of the Opera (which is more melodrama/musical than horror and though traditionally included doesn't really belong).

I thought Phantom of the Opera was listed on one of these sets a few days back but don't see it now. The A&C films *are* on associated individual sets with A&C Meet Frankenstein showing to be on *three* of them. You would think it would only be on the "Frankenstein" one.

If you already own the original "Creature" set you may not even want/need the new one. It looks to be nothing more than a repackage as the original was already on SS discs. I'm looking to pick up the individual sets to get rid of those flippers - my "Mummy" set started going bad after a couple of years and I expect the others to follow suit at some point.

I'm also curious as to just *which* version of Dracula is included. I already own 3 different transfers, each with their flaws. I'd *really* like to get *one* definitive copy that finally corrects the issues of all the previous releases.
Old 07-18-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Did anyone ever put together a set of "silent horror," i.e. CALIGARI, NOSFERATU, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and whatever other silent horrors Chaney did? Sounds like a worthy Criterion project if there ever was one.
Old 07-18-14, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by retrogametruck
second question, is there a website that i cab build my collection with cheaper movies, mabye like $2-3 movies?
Not a website but the store, Big Lots has quite a lot of new DVD's for $3-$5 each and Blu-rays for $5-$7 each.
Old 07-18-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Did anyone ever put together a set of "silent horror," i.e. CALIGARI, NOSFERATU, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA and whatever other silent horrors Chaney did? Sounds like a worthy Criterion project if there ever was one.
Quite sure Kino did on DVD years ago.
Old 07-18-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Quite sure Kino did on DVD years ago.
That is correct and it's still in print:

German Horror Classics (Nosferatu (1922) / The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari / Waxworks / The Golem)

But Chaney was not in any of those. AFAIK there have been no collections of Chaney horror films. I, too, think that would make for a excellent compilation and Criterion *would* be just the company to undertake such a project. Good copies of Phantom..., Hunchback..., The Penalty, and a few other horror titles have only been released as singles with a couple appearing in sets with non-Chaney films.
Old 07-18-14, 10:11 PM

One time I lucked out and got a bunch of horror titles at a yard sale for 25 cents each.

Add pawn shops to the list of places to look, also Dollar General has those 1.95 treasure hunt dvds also at DG I have recently saw 1 dollar dvds and blurays there with a few horror titles thrown in. It is always a crap-shoot of whether you will find anything you want but is usually worth looking.

Awe those echo bridge and mill creek 5 dollar 8, 10, 15 and even 20 horror movie sets I have too many of them up to the point where I think twice before buying another one. They tend to duplicate titles amongst sets so if you buy a lot of them like I have you will have many copies of certain movies.

Overlooked that you wanted websites in your original post but nonetheless yard sales, pawn shops, dollar stores are still good places to look

Last edited by CrazyMat; 07-18-14 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added something
Old 07-21-14, 05:39 AM

awesome.....thanks guys, i just ordered a few of the ones mentioned, ill show them once they come in. I had another question, i was looking at the collection topic and saw some Black and white cases in the collection of Sinraft . at the top of his shelves, can anybody tell me what those are?