Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you enjoy the movies like you used to?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you enjoy the movies like you used to?
Yes (please explain)
34.09%
No (please explain)
63.64%
What are you high? (no explanation needed)
2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-14, 07:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

when i was a kid going to the movies was like an event.

now, it's like well, ok, that looks good let's go see that.

maybe i have become cynical in my elder years, but it just seems like the movies and movie going experience has waned on me.

do you get the same kick out of the movies like you used to?
Old 07-15-14, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Do you enjoy the movies like you used to?

I still enjoy the experience, but it has more to do with the experience than the movie. Now that the kids are adults, its tougher to spend quality time with them like before, so if we get to go to the movies, its enjoyable even if the movie isn't an A+
Old 07-15-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

No I see it as a chore these days, really. I see the Marvel movies in the theaters but that's pretty much it. I just...don't really care anymore. Prefer watching at home now. I may make the effort to see Expendables 3 and/or Sin City but it's not a priority.

It's weird but back in middle school-college I was going to the movies at least once a week, not I see maybe 4-5 a year in the theater.
Old 07-15-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Well, there's really two issues here.

Do I enjoy movies as much as I used to? For sure.

Do I enjoy GOING to movies as much as I used to? No way.

I won't re-hash the reasons, I think most of us who have been to a movie theater in the past 10 years know the issues.
Old 07-15-14, 07:26 PM

i think the popcorn, junk food, beverages were all better back then (forget about price, we all know that is different obviously). i had popcorn the other day in the theater and it was salty. not good.
Old 07-15-14, 07:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

As I age my attention span is getting shorter. Up until 5 or so years ago I'd see 100+ movies in the theater every year, and watch one on DVD almost every day. I don't think I've been in a theater in over a year, and at home I watch maybe one movie a month.
Old 07-15-14, 07:28 PM

yeah, my attention span sucks too...
Old 07-15-14, 07:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I find I'm enjoying movies more as I've been going to a lot less of them. It makes each trip feel a little more special. I still watch a ton at home and love those as well, of course.
Old 07-15-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Yes to film art. No to the logistics of going out of my way to see a film. And now with my immersion of vinyl I have to schedule my viewing accordingly.
Old 07-15-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes.

We used to go all the time, now with having the boy child we hit up 5-6 movies a year, so we definitely cherish it much more.

Also taking our kid to movies, and see him love cinema puts a big smile on our face.
Old 07-15-14, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Watching movies - Yes, enjoy just as much, if not more.

Going to a theater - No way.
Old 07-15-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had this discussion with a friend of mine. Anymore I feel like I'm going to the movies because I have to go, not because I want to go. I have to see the new Captain America, not I want to and I'm excited to see it. Very rarely am I excited about going to the movies and seeing a film.
Old 07-15-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

I enjoy and appreciate good filmmaking more, but I encounter it less frequently. In theaters this year, out of a total of eight trips so far, I've really only seen one film that qualifies as really good filmmaking and that's the Japanese film, LIKE FATHER LIKE SON, by Hirokazu Koreeda. And last year, it was the anime feature, WOLF CHILDREN, by Mamoru Hosoda; the Chinese movie, A TOUCH OF SIN; and three films from 1959-1962 by Yasujiro Ozu, all seen on a big screen. Last year, I also revisited a lot of classic films for the first time in many years, all on TV, tape, or disc, including THE GRAPES OF WRATH, CRISS CROSS, SUNSET BOULEVARD, A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, ON THE WATERFRONT, etc., often for the challenges on DVD Talk, and fell in love with them all over again--because of the filmmaking.

But do I enjoy going to the movies as much? No. It's harder to go. The theaters are not conveniently located. The movies are too long and I lose patience or have to go to the bathroom (or both). I don't like most movies I see on the big screen anymore. I don't like trailers or having to sit through endless commercials. I don't like other people talking during the movie. I don't like people turning on their little devices with glaring screens during the movie. And I don't much like new movies anymore, either.
Old 07-15-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It'll never be as fun as the days in high school when we used to sneak into movies all day. Not even close.
Old 07-15-14, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Personally, I enjoy movies in theaters more then ever and find myself regularly looking forward to catching specific movies in theaters far more then I used to. A lot of that probably attributes to things like comic book movies hitting it big, and also things like a specific theater chain called Cinepolis that I love going to over the standard Regal/AMC theaters. On the flip side, my movie watching at home has diminished significantly over the last few years and i've started reducing my movie collection considerably.
Old 07-15-14, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Movies in general? Yes. However, the obsession of needing to see certain movies in theaters for me has diminished as I've gotten older. When I was in middle school and high school, I was at the movies every weekend watching something. The experience was different for me. Once cell phones started becoming more mainstream in the mid-2000s, the feeling was just different.

Doesn't change the fact that movies are a big part of my life and always will be.

Last edited by My Other Self; 07-15-14 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-15-14, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an embarrassment of riches. With the advent of home video, and then the Internet, there are simply too many options for entertainment at any given time that I suffer paralysis of analysis. Combined with an ever-shortening attention span, I just don't sit down for a two or three hour movie as much any more. Doesn't stop me from accumulating them, though, because some day...
Old 07-15-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Movies are still entertaining as ever. I will say the desire to see a movie immediately upon release has greatly diminished.
Old 07-15-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts

No.

It's an enjoyment on a different level. When I was a kid, I bought everything hook, line and sinker. Could Mary Poppins fly away with just her umbrella? You betcha. Is Kirk Douglas really fighting a giant squid? Yes, they're real!

As a kid you're not looking for wires or realizing it's just a man in a rubber suit. It's more of just a basic viseral experience. As you get older, you learn more about the movie-making process so you start noticing things in a different light. You are both more appreciative and critical of certain aspects of the creativity it takes to bring a movie together.

Sometimes I wish I could go back to a place in time where a lion, a scarecrow and a tin woodsman really can dance and sing down a yellow brick road. And there really was no place like home.
Old 07-15-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When my wife and I started dating 80 zillion years ago, we would go the movies usually once a week, either Friday or Saturday night. I saw tons of classic movies on opening night in a packed theater.

Now, we go to matinees maybe once every 4-5 weeks. The last time I was at a movie that started after 4pm was for the final Harry Potter flick.

I still love going to the movies, but it's gotten way too expensive and I have less tolerance for being around people.
Old 07-15-14, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sadly, no.

It's actually more exciting for me to read through the plot of a new movie at Wikipedia.
Old 07-16-14, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No because as a younger one they were magical but now after learning more about their makings it sort of makes it less illusory so i've decided to completely stop learning their making-of and revert to a dumbfounded stupor, therefore shall enjoy them ONCE MORE!
Old 07-16-14, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I voted no.

Nostalgia and the lack of abundant access to instant media made movie going more fun back then. That was the only place you were certain to see trailers for upcoming movies, instead of hoping a cool one would show as a commercial break on TV. You would also get a chance to see movie posters highlighting upcoming films. I remember seeing the poster for "The Fly" and it creeped me out as a kid. I always liked roaming the hallways of the theater after the film ended to see what films were just coming out.

The theaters also seemed much more grand back then. The screens were bigger housed under giant domes, the floors lit up prior to the film starting so you could make your way around in the dark easier. That's the only criticism of the movie going experience now that's not rooted in nostalgia.

Other than that, when there is something really special playing it's just as fun. But considering I can watch movies instantly on netflix or through amazon, watch clips on youtube, or read the plot on wikipedia, going to the theater is not a big deal in of itself.
Old 07-16-14, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still love movies as much as ever, but with two major caveats:

1. I have become completely disenchanted with the theater experience. The technology is great, but the theater chains' implementation of it can vary wildly to the point of outright bungling. And the general public's decline in manners, civility, and class often ruins the experience of going to the movies altogether.

2. While Hollywood still produces some great films, I think the overall quality of their output has declined measurably since I was a kid. In the 70's and 80's - and even the 90's - there were just more films of merit than in recent years (to me, anyway). There's just too many remakes/reboots and big budget CGI-fests with next to no character development or compelling plots. There are notable exceptions, of course, but in general there just isn't as much originality or artistry anymore.

Helping to counter balance this, however, is that the home theater experience has improved in almost every regard since I was a kid. So my overall enthusiasm for cinema stays quite strong since no matter how bad the latest crop of new releases gets, I can always sit in my recliner and watch old favorites on a big screen HDTV with 7.1 surround sound and enjoy the hell out of the experience.
Old 07-16-14, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
I see the Marvel movies in the theaters but that's pretty much it.
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Now, we go to matinees maybe once every 4-5 weeks.
Same.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.