Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pink Floyd -- "The Endless River" -- New Album -- October 2014

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 07-05-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This year marks the 20th anniversary of Pink Floyd’s fourteenth and final album, Division Bell. Beyond a deluxe reissue, David Gilmour apparently plans to mark the occasion with a brand new LP entitled The Endless River, which will be released in October.

The news was revealed by Gilmour’s wife, Polly Samson, on Twitter. Samson added that the album is based on 1994 sessions with Pink Floyd’s Richard Wright.

Singer Durga McBroom-Hudson, who toured with Pink Floyd throughout the 1980s and early 1990s, revealed further details on her Facebook page. “The recording did start during The Division Bell sessions (and yes, it was the side project originally titled ‘The Big Spliff’ that [Pink Floyd drummer] Nick Mason spoke about),” she explained. “Which is why there are Richard Wright tracks on it. But David and Nick have gone in and done a lot more since then. It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them. That’s the song you see being worked on in the photo.” She also added that the album consists entirely of “unreleased songs.”

Source

-------

Holy shit. Didn't see that coming.
Old 07-05-14, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Pink Floyd -- "The Endless River" -- New Album -- October 2014

Interesting news. Wasn't expecting to ever hear the phrase "New Pink Floyd Album" again. Although I'm not too interested if it doesn't include Roger Waters. Division Bell was a snoozefest for the most part.
Old 07-05-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spsimmons
Interesting news. Wasn't expecting to ever hear the phrase "New Pink Floyd Album" again. Although I'm not too interested if it doesn't include Roger Waters. Division Bell was a snoozefest for the most part.
Pretty much how I feel too. I will certainly check it out though.
Old 07-05-14, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

While I liked some of the songs on Momentary Lapse and Division Bell, the albums as a whole didn't feel very Floydish.

I will definitely check this out. Too bad Roger isn't involved. Looking at some of the Facebook comments, one person said David is releasing an album next year and Roger is working on a double-album. So there's still that.
Old 07-05-14, 07:43 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

Gilmour's solo albums are wonderfully melodic yet equally as vapid while Water's albums are full of brilliant snarky vitriol and are about as pleasing to the ear as fingernails down a blackboard. Oh the wonderful music the world has missed out on over a pissing match. Shame these cats can't get it together and let bygones be bygones.
Old 07-05-14, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

It'd be nice if Waters and Gilmour would bury the hatchet and work together along with Mason on a new album. Not too interested in this album without Waters' involvement personally.
Old 07-06-14, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by spsimmons
Division Bell was a snoozefest for the most part.
The Division Bell had one thing going for it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P7YMI39sObY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We'll be lucky to get this much out of the new one.
Old 07-06-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
It'd be nice if Waters and Gilmour would bury the hatchet and work together along with Mason on a new album.
"I'll take Things That Will Never, Ever Happen Again for $200, Alex!"
Old 07-06-14, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
"I'll take Things That Will Never, Ever Happen Again for $200, Alex!"
You know, I sort of thought there might have been a small glimmer of a chance that it may happen when Waters joined the group back in 2005 for their Live 8 performance. Yeah though I understand it's very unlikely that those two will ever see eye to eye again, let alone work with each other on something. Personally I was always more of a fan of Waters than Gilmour so a Pink Floyd album without Waters doesn't interest me much at all. A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell were both fairly meh albums.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-06-14 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but since Richard Wright passed away from cancer 6 years ago, who is now doing his vocals on songs like Comfortably Numb? I only casually follow Floyd and David Gilmour and I know when Gilmour toured in the past, Wright did those vocals.
Old 07-06-14, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

This sounds like another David Gilmour solo album gussied up so it could be released under the Pink Floyd name. I'm fairly sure his dog is now writing the song lyrics. His last solo album was the best cure for insomnia ever invented.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 07-06-14 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-06-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure I see this as a way for Gilmour to release another Floyd album but just an album of unreleased tracks. I have always wondered the Gilmour hate when I find him the more methodical one of the entire group when Waters was just sitting around making funky noises with machines.
Waters is an egotistical control freak and the reason why he was out of Pink Floyd. It wasn't just Gilmour he didnt get along with.
No Gilmour, Pink Floyd would not have been what it became.

I'm a fan of all Pink Floyd and Gilmour's solo act. I look forward to hearing old tracks.
Old 07-06-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm a bit burnt out on Pink Floyd and don't want to listen to them for a while. I recently watched their movie "The Wall" and found it pretty boring - and I hadn't see it in years.
Old 07-06-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mickey65
I'm a bit burnt out on Pink Floyd and don't want to listen to them for a while. I recently watched their movie "The Wall" and found it pretty boring - and I hadn't see it in years.
I never much cared for The Wall movie even when I was a bigger fan of the band. Honestly I like some of Pink Floyd's material but have kind of outgrown them. I like Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here but that's about all. Even then I have to be in the right mood to listen to them.
Old 07-07-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Pink Floyd just posted this on Facebook:

Pink Floyd can confirm that they are releasing a new album "The Endless River" in October 2014. It is an album of mainly ambient and instrumental music based on the 1993/4 Division Bell sessions which feature David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Richard Wright. The album is produced by David Gilmour with Phil Manzanera, Youth and recording engineer Andy Jackson. Work is still in progress, but more details to come at the end of the Summer.
Old 07-07-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Sounds like the perfect album to cure my insomniac nights. Ambient and instrumental music based on material from 20 years ago? Go figure it isn't new original material since Wright is dead and Waters still isn't participating. They really should just consider this another Gilmour solo album.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-07-14 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-07-14, 12:30 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

I'm OK with this, because if it's not going to have Waters' biting lyrics behind it, then I'd prefer for it to be mainly instrumental anyway.
Old 07-07-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

I'll give it a chance.
Old 07-07-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
Sounds like the perfect album to cure my insomniac nights. Ambient and instrumental music based on material from 20 years ago? Go figure it isn't new original material since Wright is dead and Waters still isn't participating. They really should just consider this another Gilmour solo album.
Waters hasn't been with the band in decades. People need to get over it.
If people really this way about Waters not being included, then every album after Waters left would be considered a David Gilmour album and not a Pink Floyd album.
Old 07-07-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by VHS?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G4i8tzFbTAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-07-14, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VHS?
If people really this way about Waters not being included, then every album after Waters left would be considered a David Gilmour album and not a Pink Floyd album.
Well in fairness they haven't exactly been very active since Waters left either. There's only been two albums put out so far under the Gilmour led era of the band (A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell) and neither were all that great. They still performed live but that's different if you ask me. I agree that Waters is a bit egotistical and is largely the reason he isn't in the band but I think Gilmour isn't much better personally. Plus it's hard denying that Waters in the better lyricist.
Old 07-07-14, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/G4i8tzFbTAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Seriously? I could have sworn we were talking about albums releases here, not charity or one-off guest appearances.

Originally Posted by Mike86
Well in fairness they haven't exactly been very active since Waters left either. There's only been two albums put out so far under the Gilmour led era of the band (A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell) and neither were all that great. They still performed live but that's different if you ask me. I agree that Waters is a bit egotistical and is largely the reason he isn't in the band but I think Gilmour isn't much better personally. Plus it's hard denying that Waters in the better lyricist.
The Division Bell went straight to #1 so I guess matter of opinion.
Momentary Lapse of Reason was the first without Waters and maybe it wasn't what people were used to but it did try to resemble older "Floyd".
Plus it's hard denying that Waters in the better lyricist.
Gilmour has been co-writer more than people know as well as being lead vocals when Waters was in the band.

I get it. Some are not fans of new Floyd but to me, Gilmour took off were Waters was going.
Imagine if Sid had stayed in the band. I bet Pink Floyd would have been a '60s, flash in the pan psychedelic band buried with some of the others.
Old 07-07-14, 07:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Water's albums are full of brilliant snarky vitriol and are about as pleasing to the ear as fingernails down a blackboard.
I completely disagree. Waters' solo albums aren't as instantly memorable as the best PF albums, but the Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking and Amusing Ourselves To Death are both excellent, and far better than any of the Waters-less PF albums.

As for this, pass x1000.
Old 07-07-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no way any of the RW solo releases better than the Pink Floyd releases. A few great songs/parts, but oh so much filler on each one. And that goes for the DG releases as well.

I would never call MLoR or DB as good as any of the previous PF releases. But they both are better than the solo efforts.

Like another poster earlier, I'll give this new release a chance. But I suspect if will be the first PF release to fall into the same category I use for the solo releases. I have a favorite or two and frequently skip the rest.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 07-07-14 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-07-14, 08:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope, the RW solo albums are definitely better than Momentary Lapse or Division Bell.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.