Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers Franchise: Has it Run It's Course?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Has Transformers run its course?
Yes
19.44%
No
25.00%
It never even had a course with me
41.67%
Yes, but only as far as Michael Bay is concerned
13.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I liked the most recent one, but thought it was too long. I don't see any reason for them to keep hiring Michael Bay to make them. Do you think this franchise is close to death?
Old 06-29-14, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Transformers Franchise: Has it Run It's Course?

No. Unfortunately... No. Bay is a big deal as to why it works for the masses. It's a piece of shit for me but it makes money.
Old 06-29-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

It's not my favorite franchise running currently but no it hasn't run it's course yet. The films still make a ton of money so they'll keep going for a while at least. I do think that if the newest film was trimmed down into about two hours rather than being close to three it would have been a more solid film all around though.
Old 06-29-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Giant transforming robots will never run their course. I can't wait for a Transformers musical. A Transformers swashbuckler. A Transformers western. And a Transformers mumblecore film....
Old 06-29-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Absolutely not. This is not an artistic franchise where they've run out of ideas, hell they barely had an idea in the first place. It's about money & lots of it. Plus it's virtually critic proof. It's getting horrible reviews but it's still putting asses in seats.
Old 06-29-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I myself have not seen any of them nor will I ever, even if it were for free. As long as people go see it, the studios will continue making it.

Last edited by inri222; 06-29-14 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Considering yet again, Optimus Prime turned into a printing press for the studio and cash is flying off it, its going strong.
Old 06-29-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It made $100 million this weekend. I'd say no.
Old 06-29-14, 01:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It has with me. I'll watch this new one on HBO when it comes out on there. But I'm not paying to see these in theaters or on blu anymore.
Old 06-29-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I havent seen the new one yet, but probably not. I do hope Michael Bay moves on, Pain and Gain was a welcome break from these movies.
Old 06-29-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It made $100 million this weekend. I'd say no.
Plus it made $200 million overseas. A nice $300 million weekend.
Old 06-29-14, 02:14 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Question: Michael Bay has been derided his entire career for excess and bombast. He's frequently pointed out as being the definition of Hollywood over the top action. Despite many people being critical of his style, many of his films are very popular. Most people enjoy The Rock and many people love the Bad Boys films. I personally enjoyed The Island.

He has now been wrapped up in Transformers for 7 years during which time he made 4 films that every sane person consider to be complete pieces of shit.

1. Is it a good thing that Michael Bay got sidelined making shitty Transformers movies so that he couldn't use his shitty abilities elsewhere?

-or-

2. Would it have been better if he never made a Transformers film and instead we got to see what else Bay had up his sleeve? Maybe Bad Boys 3 or something original that's as good as The Rock.

I think I would have rather seen him try and fail over the last 7 years while I crossed my fingers that he made something good, rather then watch him waste 7 years of his life on 4 films that were hopeless pieces of shit.
Old 06-29-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From the studio perspective, it hasn't run its course until it stops making ridiculous money.

As a viewer, to me it seems like they just keep making the same film over and over. How much variance exists in any of the stories? Virtually none.
Old 06-29-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Please please let them reboot the franchise...make them a more clean looking more refined (like the Cartoon or that video game trailer with the Dinobots) and make it a faithful adaptation to the cartoon with less humans.

Old 06-29-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I wouldn't mind if they continued the series with someone like Justin Lin at the helm. I actually saw Pain and Gain the night before I saw this new one and was disappointed at how quickly Bay went back to the old bombastic approach. However, I also thought Pain and Gain was a bit overlong for the story it was telling.
Old 06-29-14, 02:44 PM
Premium Member

Received 699 Likes on 466 Posts

No, not even close.
Old 06-29-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

They will continue to make them as long as Bay sticks around. I foresee this eventually becoming something like the Godzilla franchise but as a true global brand.

Transformers are the apex predators of the Hollywood money system.
Old 06-29-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Considering yet again, Optimus Prime turned into a printing press for the studio and cash is flying off it, its going strong.
And that is probably the neatest Transforming trick of all... At least by Hollywood standards.

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Question: Michael Bay has been derided his entire career for excess and bombast. He's frequently pointed out as being the definition of Hollywood over the top action. Despite many people being critical of his style, many of his films are very popular. Most people enjoy The Rock and many people love the Bad Boys films. I personally enjoyed The Island.

He has now been wrapped up in Transformers for 7 years during which time he made 4 films that every sane person consider to be complete pieces of shit.

1. Is it a good thing that Michael Bay got sidelined making shitty Transformers movies so that he couldn't use his shitty abilities elsewhere?

-or-

2. Would it have been better if he never made a Transformers film and instead we got to see what else Bay had up his sleeve? Maybe Bad Boys 3 or something original that's as good as The Rock.

I think I would have rather seen him try and fail over the last 7 years while I crossed my fingers that he made something good, rather then watch him waste 7 years of his life on 4 films that were hopeless pieces of shit.
I'll go with #1. The only non-Transformer movie by Bay that I liked was PEARL HARBOR. I watched a few scenes from the BAD BOYS movies on cable and was thoroughly repelled. I really disliked THE ROCK and couldn't sit through ARMAGEDDON. I don't recall anything else of his I've seen.
Old 06-29-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Artistically yes, it ran its course before the first movie was over. Financially, I don't think it's going anywhere, the franchise is a box office juggernaut which continues to pack the audiences in.
Old 06-29-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Transformers are the apex predators of the Hollywood money system.
"It's the ultimate movie for globalization, because you need no brain to understand it."
John Landis

It's certainly the epitome of the Hollywood blockbuster in contemporary terms: braindead, incoherently plotted, shot with a loud, glossy, shiny, sexy (or less kindly, misogynist) aesthetic which aims to be as bombastic and excessive as possible, determined to truly prove the "more is better" axiom.
Old 06-29-14, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
And that is probably the neatest Transforming trick of all... At least by Hollywood standards.

I'll go with #1. The only non-Transformer movie by Bay that I liked was PEARL HARBOR. I watched a few scenes from the BAD BOYS movies on cable and was thoroughly repelled. I really disliked THE ROCK and couldn't sit through ARMAGEDDON. I don't recall anything else of his I've seen.
Fuck that.

I may have thought the first one was alright but Bay is more boring now than before. I may not like his films for the most part but it is very nice to see a variation. If he did a movie in between each one. That'd be cool too. But all he was Pain and Gain...after 3 TF movies. And he only was able to do that one cuz Paramount would do it if he agreed to do more TF films.
Old 06-29-14, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have enjoy they Trans movies, except for a few minutes in the 2nd movie.

Looking forward to seeing the movie with my son. The last 2 movies were panned by the critics, after watching them both in IMAX, my son and I turned to each other and said "What were the talking about".

I go to movies to be entertained, and that be many different forms: Action, comedy, Sci-Fi, Time Travel (My fav), romance (wife loves to go to these with me), animation...
-Transformers gives me Action, Sci-Fi, little comedy and a little romance (with Fox, not that other blond...she was the worse part of the 3rd movie).

Some, not all, get on the band wagon of hating a movie because it is popular and they let their views be known. All that is OK, but their seems to be a ton of people that still enjoy TF movies.
Old 06-29-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Shia LeBarf isn't in this movie. That's enough to make me want to buy the Blu-ray.
Old 06-29-14, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

No. But I hope Bay leaves. I really like his movies and want to see him move onto something else.
Old 06-29-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

$100 million in one weekend. Apparently not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.