Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

WBO (6/27-6/29): Transformers are more than meets the eye!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-14, 12:55 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/2...of-extinction/

Box office update: The Transformers defy extinction with a $41.6 million Friday

The Transformers might be fighting for their existence in Michael Bay’s fourth installment in the toy-to-movie series, but the film itself is not just surviving — it’s on track to become the highest opener of the year. Sorry, Cap.

Featuring a brand new cast, including Mark Wahlberg, T.J. Miller, Nicola Peltz, Kelsey Grammer, and Stanley Tucci, Transformers: Age of Extinction brought in an estimated $41.6 million from 4,233 locations, Friday. That includes Thursday night’s $8.75 million take from approximately 2,990 locations as well, which started showing Paramount’s nearly 3 hour spectacle at 9 p.m. After some Friday morning hand-wringing, it looks like the blockbuster is still on track for a $100 million + opening — which would be a career high for Wahlberg (whose highest opening to date is the 2001 Planet of the Apes). It also picked up $80 million from international showings, bringing its worldwide total to a staggering $121.6 million.

Coming nearly three years after Transformers: Dark of the Moon, which concluded the Shia LaBeouf-era of the franchise, this latest take picks up five years later in the skittish aftermath of the epic battle in Chicago. All alien activity is to be reported to the government, and Kelsey Grammer’s black ops teams is ready to destroy even the friendliest Transformers. Things really kick into gear after Mark Walhberg’s Texas inventor Cade realizes the junky truck he’s been repairing is actually Optimus Prime.

Ass you might expect, critics aren’t loving this fourth outing. In his D+ review, EW’s Chris Nashawaty wrote, “It isn’t just narratively incoherent. It’s one of the tackiest and crassest blockbusters I’ve ever seen, wasting no opportunity to shamelessly plug products such as Bud Light, Chevy, and Beats by Dr. Dre. It doesn’t even try to conceal its cynicism.” Still, audiences (64 percent male and 42 percent under age 25) gave the nearly $200 million, explosion-happy pic a decent A- Cinema Score. That’s probably a little low for a group that likely consisted of die-hard fans, but it’s not terrible at all.

Outside of this weekend’s only new, wide release, things mostly played out as expected, but, Sony’s Think Like a Man Too could be on track for a much steeper 70+ percent fall in weekend two. Also, Disney’s Maleficent nudged last weekend’s other new pic, Jersey Boys, out of the top five on Friday.

Here’s the top five:

1. Transformers: Age of Extinction—$41.6 million
2. 22 Jump Street—$5.0 million
3. How to Train Your Dragon 2—$4.1 million
4. Think Like a Man Too—$3.4 million
5. Maleficent—$2.59 million
Old 06-28-14, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: WBO (6/27-6/29): Transformers are more than meets the eye!

Heh. Ass you might expect.
Old 06-28-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

More than meets the ass
Old 06-28-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

It made almost three times the other four movies combined

I don't get the whole transformers thing. Each and every movie, four times now, makes a boatload of money and everyone says it sucks
Old 06-28-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb

I don't get the whole transformers thing. Each and every movie, four times now, makes a boatload of money and everyone says it sucks
Yeah, and they will be in line for Transformers 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Michael Bay films are like Metallica albums. Every time a new one comes out it sells millions yet no one likes it. Then 9 years later a new one comes out and sells millions yet no one likes it...
Old 06-28-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for reference:

Transformers: $28M opening day.
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: $63M opening day.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon: $43M opening day.
Transformers: Age of Extinction: $42M opening day.

22 Jump Street will outgross the original come Sunday.

I bet DreamWorks Animation is kicking themselves for releasing How to Train Your Dragon 2 in the summer. It should've been a spring release like the last outing, especially since the first four months of the year there were no big releases outside of The Lego Movie and Captain America.

Man, this summer (and year) have sucked for movies.
Old 06-28-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Remember the others were released mid-week, and had 150-200m by the end of the opening wknd. This one looks like it'll top out about 275m domestically (if it follows the recent pattern of movies opening to 90m, and reaching 200-250m), but of course international will probably be the biggest yet with 800+.
Old 06-28-14, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel

I bet DreamWorks Animation is kicking themselves for releasing How to Train Your Dragon 2 in the summer. It should've been a spring release like the last outing, especially since the first four months of the year there were no big releases outside of The Lego Movie and Captain America.
Maybe a little, but the movie is showing really good legs and will play through the rest of the summer. It wouldn't have made much more no matter when it was released.
Old 06-28-14, 10:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Just for reference:

Transformers: $28M opening day.
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: $63M opening day.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon: $43M opening day.
Transformers: Age of Extinction: $42M opening day.

22 Jump Street will outgross the original come Sunday.

Man, this summer (and year) have sucked for movies.
when do you think it would have been ideally released?
Old 06-28-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

HTTYD2 is imo the biggest box office casualty so far of the summer, like I said in other threads....Dreamworks for whatever reason has not been able to grow these franchises...both Kung Fu Panda and now Dragon...both coming off well reviewed first movies and sequels...and under performing in an unimaginable way domestically. They can maintain themselves with the increased foreign sales, but it is absolutely a crushing blow to the company imo.

Last edited by Artman; 06-28-14 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-28-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the Dreamworks animated movies are just cookie cutters, the first time it's fun but do you really want a second batch of the exact same pattern?
Old 06-28-14, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb

How many 10-year-old boys do you know? Transformers is made for them, not adults. The adult characters are mere window dressing for the giant, robotic cars fighting each other.
Old 06-29-14, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
I think the Dreamworks animated movies are just cookie cutters, the first time it's fun but do you really want a second batch of the exact same pattern?
Except for the fact that Kung Fu Panda 2 and How To Train Your Dragon 2 are both superior to their predecessors and actually bring something new to the table - both are excellent and didn't seem to really click with audiences - although dreamworks also had a rough go with Peabody and Sherman, which was also really damn good.
Old 06-29-14, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
How many 10-year-old boys do you know? Transformers is made for them, not adults. The adult characters are mere window dressing for the giant, robotic cars fighting each other.
Not gonna lie, I know none
Old 06-29-14, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Box Office Mojo reported $201 million overseas for Transformers. Add the domestic estimate of $100 million and that's pretty damn good.
Old 06-29-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Except for the fact that Kung Fu Panda 2 and How To Train Your Dragon 2 are both superior to their predecessors and actually bring something new to the table - both are excellent and didn't seem to really click with audiences - although dreamworks also had a rough go with Peabody and Sherman, which was also really damn good.
While I disagree about HTTYD2 being better then the original, I do think it's weird that neither franchise's sequels were bigger hits. Hardly cookie cutter movies though.

As for this summer's or years' movies overall, i've been pretty darn happy based on the strengths of Lego Movie, Captain America, X-Men, and Edge of Tomorrow
Old 06-29-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Technically? None. Intellectually? Quite a few .

I kid, I kid.
Old 06-29-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I hope this passes The Dark Knight Rises since Michael Bay is a much better director than Christopher Nolan. Bay deserves more praise than he gets.
Old 06-29-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I hope this passes The Dark Knight Rises since Michael Bay is a much better director than Christopher Nolan. Bay deserves more praise than he gets.
Holy shit, are you a spam bot programmed to insult Nolan whenever someone posts something that contains a vowel?
Old 06-29-14, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I couldn't agree more.
Old 06-29-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Quote from Box Office Guru:
Factoring in different conditions, Extinction opened a bit weaker than Moon.

Reviews were mostly negative for the new Transformers and with teens today increasingly skipping multiplexes for their entertainment, it was tough to get much past $100M. Studio research showed that males made up a very high 64% of the crowd and 58% were 25 and over. The CinemaScore grade from paying moviegoers was a good A- so customers were generally satisfied with this as mindless summer escapism which is exactly what it is supposed to be in the first place.
Old 06-29-14, 07:31 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10-year-olds alone aren't going to cut it, you know?
Old 06-29-14, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Yes, but a lot of men still want to feel ten years old on the inside. I know I would want to see this if I could get past the whole Michael Bay feel of the movie, but I've always found his movies tedious, even the few I've sorta liked.
Old 06-29-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I can tolerate Bay's nonsense up to a point, but the bloated over length of most of his films just wears me down. The militarized aesthetic, constant leering at female characters, screaming loud noise, and nonstop sensory overload might be fun for a while, but eventually, without anything worth caring about, even the mindless entertainment starts to grow tiresome because not only do I not care about anybody, but I eventually lose interest. Power Rangers is trash too, but at least the episodes are only 22 minutes.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Quote from Box Office Guru:
I think it's the nostalgia factor too. I still think that a lot of these 80s properties are getting at least some of their audience from nostalgic fans who remember the products' heydays.
Old 06-29-14, 11:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To some degree... I'd agree. Ya see? Transformers from what I remembered as a kid was a lot more epic in my nostalgic memory . I'd also blame this on how pretty much TF:TM was the last G1 thing for me. That was 1994 and then I bought the G1 DVD that was last released. Jesus. I totally didn't remember the stupid shit they did in there. The 1986 flick was waaaaaaay different than the cartoon. Shit got real in that movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.