Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Target DVD prices (June 8th - 14th, 2014)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-14, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recuit
* Exclusive Blu-Ray bonus disc; Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $13.00

Ray Donovan: Season One
* Exclusive Blu-Ray/DVD combo $34.99

Exclusive Blu-Ray MetalPacks $8.00 (each)
* Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes, Alien, Fight Club, X-Men: First Class, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, X-Men United, X-Men and X-Men: The Last Stand

- - -

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recuit $13.00

Non-Stop $17.9-9

- - -

Catch Me If You Can $4.75
The King's Speech $4.75
RED $4.75
Cowboys & Aliens $4.75

- - -

Gladiator $7.00
Star Trek: Into Darkness $11.00
Rush $11.00
Last Vegas $11.00
Bad Grandpa $11.00
The Wolf Of Wall Street $12.99
Anchorman 2 $12.99
Ride Along $14.99
Hunger Games: Catching Fire $14.99
Lone Survivor $16.99

- - -

True Detective: Season One $24.99
Pretty Little Liars: Season 4 $34.99
Ray Donovan: Season One $29.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey $24.99
Transformers Animated: Season Three $9.99
Game Of Thrones: Season 3 $29.99
True Blood: Season 6 $32.99
Sherlock: Season 3 $19.99
Falling Skies: Season 3 $19.99
Longmire: Season 2 $24.99

Information from Bainbridge's_Stache from Forum Blu-Ray dot com.

I'm gonna wait till Black Friday and pick up "Pretty Little Liars" S4 for ten bucks. I do plan on getting "True Detective".
Old 06-03-14, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Target DVD prices (June 8th - 14th, 2014)

Putting Pretty Little Liars in the ad makes no sense to me. Today is the release day, so why next week's ad? Sometimes they've done that when there's a decent price drop in week 2, but $34.99 is not what I'd call a decent price. Huh. Good Season though.

I want True Detective too, but am hoping to see it under $20. We'll see. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-03-14, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bite on Jack Ryan, due to the bonus disc. $13 for a new release is pretty good...
Old 06-03-14, 10:51 PM

$34.99 is not what I'd call a decent price
Yeah. My thoughts too.
Old 06-03-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Putting Pretty Little Liars in the ad makes no sense to me. Today is the release day, so why next week's ad? Sometimes they've done that when there's a decent price drop in week 2, but $34.99 is not what I'd call a decent price. Huh. Good Season though.

I want True Detective too, but am hoping to see it under $20. We'll see. Thanks for the info.
$34.99 is pretty normal pricing for a new release TV on DVD. The MSRP is $59.98. For someone who has already seen Pretty Little Liars on TV weekly, yeah I can see that being a little hard to pay for because you saw it recently. You probably wouldn't watch the episodes again anytime soon.

But for those who don't have cable and haven't seen the season, I'm sure $34.99 for 24 episodes plus bonus material is very reasonable. So I would hardly call it an awful price.

I'm sure most in this forum do the same thing. If you watch the show weekly as it airs and like it enough to want to collect it, you will probably wait until the Holidays for a 60-70% discount.
Old 06-04-14, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Are BDs usually $5 more, so True Detective and Cosmos for $29.99?
Old 06-04-14, 07:52 PM

But for those who don't have cable and haven't seen the season, I'm sure $34.99 for 24 episodes plus bonus material is very reasonable. So I would hardly call it an awful price.
I'm in the same boat; don't have cable. It was getting lost on IMDb that got PLL on my radar and turned it into a blind buy. The first half of season one is just awful, but then boom, it changed gears and be came quite addictive.

But... no.

Unless this has some kind of exclusive (bonus disc or such) - then yeah, I would be incline to pay thirty-five dollars. If not, basic; thirty bucks feels right. Granted, ($34.99) is not awful, but that kind of number will make my delay my purchase for months for a much reduced price - the store getting even less of my dollars.

And lets be honest, as you buy; the moment it becomes your property - it loses value. You can take that still sealed season set on Ebay and will not sell for $34.99. Now, if that were an exclusive box, that would be different. But that's a whole other kind of anal.

C'mon, we all do it. Buy now or wait for an eventual cheaper tag? What is it worth to you?

For me, thirty bucks - max. I can totally see Suncoast selling it for the full $60.00 without blinking, which is probably why they and Boarders went under.

Taking a glance at Ebay, the highest S4 is going is twenty-five bucks.

- - -

GatorDeb; BDs "True Detective" S1, "Cosmos" are both $29.99 each.

Last edited by JohnIan; 06-05-14 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-04-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I have Directv and have watched PLL every summer/winter as it airs. I like the show and the girls, but it doesn't have a lot of replay value if you've seen it weekly. So paying $34.99 is definitely out of the question for me. I have collected the seasons when they get discounted sub $20.

It's really about your budget and what's it worth to you? I try to avoid getting a TV series so soon after it aired if I'm a fan and watched it weekly. Because who am I kidding, I'm not watching it again anytime soon. It would just go on the shelf or in the closet sealed and unwatched.
Old 06-05-14, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
$34.99 is pretty normal pricing for a new release TV on DVD. The MSRP is $59.98. For someone who has already seen Pretty Little Liars on TV weekly, yeah I can see that being a little hard to pay for because you saw it recently. You probably wouldn't watch the episodes again anytime soon.
I can think of a lot of TV shows that are newly released under $35. A lot of ABC titles that are $20-$25, sometimes with coupons that make them less. Falling Skies S3 is $28 in Target this week, but $17 at BB. I recently got Covert Affairs S4 for $20 I think. I really don't think $35 is a "good" price, more like a bit above average. I never called it, and don't think of it as, "awful", but not good either.

You're right about the MSRP, but how many us usually pay MSRP? If we did, then wouldn't Black Friday always be pretty dead around here, most people having already picked everything up at or near full price earlier in the year?

As far as the price for PLL, then I expected it, they've been very consistent with their new release pricing, but I was actually hoping to rewatch again before the Season begins again next week. Same with Graceland, despite my having already watched that too. I know that I should be concentrating on the many many unwatched piles, but there are times that I really want to binge watch to refresh my memory.

I'm sure most in this forum do the same thing. If you watch the show weekly as it airs and like it enough to want to collect it, you will probably wait until the Holidays for a 60-70% discount.
For the most part you're probably right, though I like to spread out the buying throughout the year, so that I don't have to stress on dozens upon dozens of titles all at the same time. Like with Falling Skies, maybe that's $2 or $4 less at the end of the year, but at a certain point I'll forgo that worry, so as to be able to keep track of other titles like PLL, Homeland, etc. that never went too low.
Old 06-06-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Alien Metal Paks were 7.50 at my store this week. The other X-Men were 10.
Old 06-08-14, 09:57 PM

I'm back - lost internet yesterday, early morning. Got it back half an hour ago. I'll update Best Buy ad later tonight. Have some catching up to do first.

- - -

Update...

Games

- - -

Axeramm, I went over the store and picked up their ad for a later price match. Page 8 has those metalpacks. The spines clearly show X-Men films at $8.00. Get the ad and show customer service that there is an error.