Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

The pros & cons of in-wall / in-ceiling speakers?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the process of buying a new house, and I'm interested in putting together a modest HT system in the den, as well as multi-room audio.

I've never really been a fan of wall-mounted surround speakers. Aesthetically, they just turn me off. And I would rather not have a set of speakers in the den, the living room, the kitchen, and the dining room. I know that in-wall/ceiling speakers used to be sub-par, but that they've come a long way over the past several years.

Does anyone have experience with these? Any suggestions or recommendations? I am not an audiophile, but do want something that sounds good and I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount for them.
Old 05-30-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The pros & cons of in-wall / in-ceiling speakers?

They do seem to be all over the place, price isn't necessarily a good quality indicator. Haven't really listened to too many myself, and it can be difficult to do so. But I hear good things about Boston Acoustics, NHT, Focal, PSB.

Bass can be tricky. It seems like a lot of people use regular subs with in-walls. Or none.
Old 05-31-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank you so much for a response.
Old 06-02-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I have in-ceiling. The pro is they sound fantastic, the con is a good number of them are not directional, but there are some that are.

The sound quality is absolutely fantastic.
Old 06-03-14, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on how they will be used. For music playback, they can sound quite good. Just a matter of getting a quality set. For home theater use, speaker placement is just as important and sound quality. Placement, in this case, being location, height, and direction. It boils down to what you want to sacrifice, the sound stage or having the speakers visible. To each their own.
Old 06-06-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, Rich and Dogg. I would plan on going the quality route, and when it comes to a HT, I'll have it professionally installed so hopefully placement won't be an issue.
Old 07-02-14, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used in ceiling speakers and I am happy with how it sounds. You can find some very decently priced and good quality in-wall speakers from monoprice.com. I am sure some people who are audiophiles will state otherwise. But for typical use, I think they are great, and some of their speakers are directional... Worth checking out....and you will need a decent amount of speaker wire, and their site has good deals on that too.
Old 07-18-14, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I have some speakercraft Aim 8's in my house. I think they are the 3 or 5 models. I love them. They are directional, so I can point them directly to the area of the family room where most people are watching stuff. I've had them for about 7 or 8 years now. If they were to blow out, I'd buy new ones. I have regular speakers for the front (polk audio freestanding 3 way speakers). i don't mind seeing speakers in the front, but i wanted something nearly invisible in the back.