DVD Talk
7th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 7th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

shadokitty
05-21-14, 03:22 PM
7th Annual Sci Fi/Fantasy Challenge

Banner coming soon

Since my life is rather hectic this year, I am posting the discussion thread early to give me plenty of time to prepare for the challenge.

Dates: Dusk June 30-Dawn August 1st

Rules

Movies/TV shows should be labeled sci-fi or fantasy from either imdb.com or allmovie.com. Other labels don't matter as long as there is at least a sci-fi or fantasy label from one of those sites. Action/Sci-fi would be fine.

If anyone has a problem with something someone watches or just wants an opinion on if it's sci-fi or fantasy or not, ask here.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy documentaries are allowed but not DVD featurettes/interviews. Documentaries include UFO and alien abduction type shows.

As with the other challenges, the lists must be numbered or it won't count.

Use any counting method you prefer, as prize determination does not depend on number of items watched.

3 wild cards for all. Use for those shows you want to watch but know they really don't count but they're pretty close or borderline to counting.

Watching the movie with the commentary will count as an entry.

Watching multiple versions(theatrical and director's cut) of the same movie will also count.

How to win a prize

There's 1 ways to get an entry:
Participate by watching at least 1 item

Audio:

Sci-fi/Fantasy Radio

I'm treating audio harshly since this is primarily a movie/tv challenge. That being said, one episode, 4 hours with commercials, of Coast to Coast counts as one entry. It's the same format for TV, only doubled. The topic of the show has to be sci-fi/fantasy related, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem with Coast to Coast.

If you're listening to something without commercials, or can skip them, you're looking at 3 hours of audio for one entry.

1/4 entry = 45 minutes without commercials and 60 with commercials.

1/2 entry = 90 minutes without commercials and 120 with commercials.

3/4 entry = 135 minutes without commercials and 180 with commercials.

1 entry = 180 minutes without commercials and 240 with commercials.

Checklist:

Spoiler:
*Watching enough shorts or TV to count as one entry, you can use that one entry as a check on the checklist, as long as each of them count for whatever you're checking. You can mix and match what you've seen to make a check, they all don't have to be grouped together as a single entry on your watch list.

3 Wildcards allowed

Watch one film from every decade, starting with the 1900s.
--- 1900(No time limit but must be at least complete short film) - (optional)
--- 1910(No time limit but must be at least complete short film) - (optional)
--- 1920 -
--- 1930 -
--- 1940 -
--- 1950 -
--- 1960 -
--- 1970 -
--- 1980 -
--- 1990 -
--- 2000 -
--- 2010 -

Watch films in at least two languages other than English.
--- First language -
--- Second language -

Watch a film in 12 of the following -

--- Watch a MST3K/Rifftrax/Cinematic Titanic/Hosted version of a sci-fi/fantasy film -
--- Watch a film featuring laser blasters -
--- Watch a film made on a low budget (ex. Corman or Castle movie) -
--- Watch a film based on a novel -
--- Watch a film which was nominated for a Hugo or Saturn Award-
--- Watch a Documentary Feature -
--- Watch a Film From the Criterion Collection (Doesn't have to be Criterion Version) -
--- Watch a film with commentary -
--- Watch a film and at least two sequels -
--- Watch a film that takes place underneath the Earth -
--- Watch a film that takes place in space -
--- Watch a film that takes place on or under the sea -
--- Watch an animated film -
--- Watch a film with special effects by Ray Harryhausen -
--- Watch a film that takes place in the "future" but the year has already come and gone -
--- Watch a film and its remake/reboot

Watch 2 of the following
--- Written by/inspired by/or related in some way to the late Ray Bradbury/Phillip K. Dick -
--- Watch a film directed/produced/written by James Cameron/Steven Spielberg/Terry Gilliam -
--- Watch a film directed/produced/written by Gene Roddenberry/Edgar Rice Burroughs/Jules Verne -
--- Written by/starring/inspired by/ or related in some way to the late HP Lovecraft / Richard Matheson -

Watch 8 films directed by

--- Tim Burton
--- Hayao Miyazaki
--- David Cronenberg
--- James Whale
--- Ridley Scott
--- Paul Verhoeven
--- Robert Wise
--- Robert Zemeckis
--- The Wachowski Brothers
--- Jerry Warren
--- J. J. "Lens Flare" Abrams
--- Samuel Z. Arkoff
--- David Twohy
--- Richard Fleischer
--- William Cameron Menzies

Watch a film for each rating
--- G -
--- PG -
--- PG-13 -
--- R -
--- X/NC-17(Optional) -
--- Unrated -

Watch a film in 28 of the following subgenres:
--- Alien invasion -
--- Horror
--- Dystopian Society -
--- Post-Apocalyptic -
--- Alternate History -
--- Robot/Android -
--- Immortality -
--- Space Opera/Serial -
--- Mutants (non-critter) -
--- Comic Book -
--- Mad Scientist -
--- Comedy -
--- Time travel -
--- Giant Critters -
--- Prehistoric -
--- Paranormal -
--- Kaiju -
--- Tech Noir -
--- First Contact -
--- Space Soldiers -
--- Magical Beings -
--- Future Crimes -
--- Animalcadabra -
--- Myths & Legends -
--- Worst Movie Ever -
Not sure what qualifies? Check here for a description http://www.wattpad.com/3632123-fanta...sci-fi-fantasy
--- Arthurian Fantasy -
--- Based on fairy tale -
--- Urban Fantasy -
--- High Fantasy -
--- Sword and Sorcery -
--- Dark Fantasy -
--- Martial Arts Fantasy -

Watch a film starring 26 of the following actors:
--- James McAvoy
--- David Warner
--- Edward James Olmos
--- Sir Ian McKellen
--- Liv Tyler
--- Peter Dinklage
--- Charlize Theron
--- Winona Ryder
--- Lena Headey
--- Zoe Saldana
--- Ian Holm
--- Boris Karloff
--- Sir Cedric Hardwicke
--- Lionel Atwill
--- Evelyn Ankers
--- Abbott & Costello
--- Peter Graves
--- Hugh Marlowe
--- Richard Denning
--- Susan Cabot
--- Samuel L. Jackson
--- Tommy Kirk
--- Raquel Welch
--- Ray Milland
--- Roddy McDowall
--- Nancy Allen
--- Rick Moranis
--- Michelle Pfeiffer
--- Arnold Schwarzenegger
--- Kurt Russell
--- Sigourney Weaver
--- Alan Rickman
--- Tilda Swinton

Sponsors:

Hamiltonbooks

Prizes:

Group 1: OOP Double DVD set of Star Wars IV: A New Hope, with the Theatrical Edition; Event Horizon; Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus
Group 2: Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition; Gamera Legacy Collection, 1965-1999: 11 Movie Set
Group 3: King Kong: The History of a Movie Icon From Fay Wray to Peter Jackson (book); Battle: Los Angeles

shadokitty
05-21-14, 03:22 PM
Reserved

shadokitty
05-21-14, 03:23 PM
Reserved x2

Undeadcow
05-25-14, 12:09 PM
Nice! Count me in!

lisadoris
05-25-14, 05:11 PM
This is the discussion thread and not the list thread right? I have a bunch of films waiting in the queue and I want to start re-watching The X-Files for this challenge. I think there was a thread in TV Talk where someone was watching The X-Files, I might revive that thread with my progress.

Gobear
05-25-14, 05:46 PM
So looking forward to this. I wonder if it's possible to offer some alternatives on the checklist. For example, because Robot/Android is already represented, could we dump Cyborg/Cybernetic Revolt, since it's practically synonymous, in favor of something else like Dystopian Society?

If we want to shake up the categories, how about
-Space Soldiers (e.g., The Terminator, Aliens, Starship Troopers)
-Magical Beings (mermaids, yetis, fairies, unicorns, etc.)
-Future Crimes (e.g, A Clockwork Orange, Minority Report, Timecrimes)
-Animalcadabra (talking animals, hyperintelligent ants, etc.)
-Myths & Legends (e.g., Clash of the Titans, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, Trollhunter)
-Worst Movie Ever!-(e.g., Troll 2, The Giant Claw, Turkish Star Wars)

Just throwing ideas out.

shadokitty
05-25-14, 08:25 PM
This is the discussion thread and not the list thread right? I have a bunch of films waiting in the queue and I want to start re-watching The X-Files for this challenge. I think there was a thread in TV Talk where someone was watching The X-Files, I might revive that thread with my progress.

This is the discussion thread yes. List thread will be up about a week or so before the challenge begins.

shadokitty
05-25-14, 08:26 PM
So looking forward to this. I wonder if it's possible to offer some alternatives on the checklist. For example, because Robot/Android is already represented, could we dump Cyborg/Cybernetic Revolt, since it's practically synonymous, in favor of something else like Dystopian Society?

If we want to shake up the categories, how about
-Space Soldiers (e.g., The Terminator, Aliens, Starship Troopers)
-Magical Beings (mermaids, yetis, fairies, unicorns, etc.)
-Future Crimes (e.g, A Clockwork Orange, Minority Report, Timecrimes)
-Animalcadabra (talking animals, hyperintelligent ants, etc.)
-Myths & Legends (e.g., Clash of the Titans, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, Trollhunter)
-Worst Movie Ever!-(e.g., Troll 2, The Giant Claw, Turkish Star Wars)

Just throwing ideas out.

Sure thing, always open to new ideas for the checklist.

LJG765
05-30-14, 10:29 PM
Looking over the checklist, I do have a couple questions/suggestions. Could some of them be watch 8/10 or 9/10 or something like that? Or at least these two:

be combined? Maybe I'm the only one but I kind of struggle with these two and end up watching some bad B movies for them. Or for underneath the Earth, I think I've watched "Journey to the Center of the Earth" for both years I've participated-different versions, but still... :)

Also the watch something starring/inspired by have been the same directors/actors. Perhaps there are a others we could substitute in instead? Tim Burton, James Cameron, Peter Jackson, Stanley Kubrick, Gene Roddenberry or even Hayao Miyazaki (though he might fit better in Animation challenge). I'm sure there a bunch of others that might not be so well recognized but have a good body of work too...

shadokitty
05-31-14, 08:56 AM
Looking over the checklist, I do have a couple questions/suggestions. Could some of them be watch 8/10 or 9/10 or something like that? Or at least these two:

be combined? Maybe I'm the only one but I kind of struggle with these two and end up watching some bad B movies for them. Or for underneath the Earth, I think I've watched "Journey to the Center of the Earth" for both years I've participated-different versions, but still... :)

Also the watch something starring/inspired by have been the same directors/actors. Perhaps there are a others we could substitute in instead? Tim Burton, James Cameron, Peter Jackson, Stanley Kubrick, Gene Roddenberry or even Hayao Miyazaki (though he might fit better in Animation challenge). I'm sure there a bunch of others that might not be so well recognized but have a good body of work too...

Sure thing. The current checklist is just a rough draft from last year and is always open to change. Busy today, but might get to some of these changes tomorrow.

Incidentally, does anyone know of a good free program like photoshop? As you may have noticed on the first page, it said banner coming soon, so I'd like to try my hand at making a banner, though I've never done one before. So don't be surprised if it turns out poorly.

BobO'Link
05-31-14, 09:37 AM
Sure thing. The current checklist is just a rough draft from last year and is always open to change. Busy today, but might get to some of these changes tomorrow.

Incidentally, does anyone know of a good free program like photoshop? As you may have noticed on the first page, it said banner coming soon, so I'd like to try my hand at making a banner, though I've never done one before. So don't be surprised if it turns out poorly.
GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) is quite good but can be complex.
GIMPShop (http://www.gimpshop.com/) is like GIMP but looks more like Photoshop.
Paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/index.html) is a more simple (intuitive?) editor for Windows sytems.
Or you could grab a *free*copy of Adobe CS2 Photoshop (as well as the rest of the suite if you wish - Mac or Windows) by going here (https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?pid=4485850&e=cs2_downloads). You have to register for a Adobe account but it's free. Use a throwaway email address and fake street address if you don't want to get unwanted promitional stuff/nags. They *do* warn that the activation servers for CS2 products have been disabled so I don't know if a install would work or not but the keys needed are on the download page. The info about this came originally from Gizmodo (http://gizmodo.com/5973730/grab-photoshop-and-cs2-for-absolutely-free-right-here).

shadokitty
06-01-14, 11:54 AM
I won't be able to work on the challenge today like I had planned. I may have an eye infection and that makes one eye painful and it has a lot of crusty discharge that almost glues the eye shut. It makes it painful and just plain discomforting to read for any length of time. I'll get to work on the checklist and banner as soon as my eye is better. Plan to make an eye doctor appt tomorrow.

indiephantom
06-02-14, 12:15 PM
I tend to watch plenty of this stuff in the summer, so I think I'll join in this year for the first time. Man, I'm looking forward to July and some time off work for watching stuff.

shadokitty
06-02-14, 01:53 PM
I tend to watch plenty of this stuff in the summer, so I think I'll join in this year for the first time. Man, I'm looking forward to July and some time off work for watching stuff.

Cool, always glad to welcome new participants. Already started watching some sci fi as I watched some Star Trek last night.

lisadoris
06-08-14, 06:39 AM
Being the impatient soul that I am, I'm going to start watching The X-Files today. I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of episodes to watch when the challenge officially beings.

shadokitty
06-08-14, 10:07 AM
Being the impatient soul that I am, I'm going to start watching The X-Files today. I'm pretty sure there will be plenty of episodes to watch when the challenge officially beings.

Cool. Have at it. I tend to watch sci-fi before the challenge too.

I also plan to get to work on the checklist either today or tomorrow, so don't worry, I haven't forgotten.

shadokitty
06-09-14, 07:24 AM
Checklist has been updated with all of the suggestions so far. Either later today or tomorrow, I'll start work on a banner to make the first post eyecatching.

shadokitty
06-09-14, 09:47 AM
If anyone here has a Roku, there is an anime channel for free that has all 3 seasons on Star Blazers, season 1 of Macross II, the original Astro Boy, as well as 2 Yamato movies. The channel is called Manga.

mrcellophane
06-09-14, 08:02 PM
I have a suggestion for the checklist to pose to the group. Could we use the same for format for actors as for genre and sub-genres (list and watch so many)? Sometimes I find the trios difficult.

Also, does Tom Cruise have too few credits (7 by my count) to add to the list? How about Sigourney Weaver or Alan Rickman?

LJG765
06-09-14, 09:30 PM
Looking at the checklist, the inspired by actors/directors are still the same. Any chance of getting some of them changed yet?

shadokitty
06-09-14, 11:24 PM
Looking at the checklist, the inspired by actors/directors are still the same. Any chance of getting some of them changed yet?

I'm just waiting for ideas.

BobO'Link
06-10-14, 10:31 AM
I have a suggestion for the checklist to pose to the group. Could we use the same for format for actors as for genre and sub-genres (list and watch so many)? Sometimes I find the trios difficult.

Also, does Tom Cruise have too few credits (7 by my count) to add to the list? How about Sigourney Weaver or Alan Rickman?
You *do* know you don't have to watch a film with each person in a trio, right? :)

But, yeah... I, too, would like to see the trios broke apart and listed separately with a "watch a film with x actors" where x is perhaps 80-90% of the total, taking into account the number of films some of those have. For example, Mara Corday has only a few SF/Fantasy credits and would be a more difficult entry to complete.

Also do the same with the Producer/Director/Writer sections.

I'm also somewhat confused... there are *two* different "subgenre" sections. I think the top one got a subgenre heading by mistake - it had none last year. That top one could be broken up and included in other sections.

Completing 8 subgenres out of 32 doesn't seem like enough. 25-29 would be better if you're going to put a number on it. 28-29 is roughly 90% which I think would be a good target number.

shadokitty
06-10-14, 12:44 PM
Checklist is up to date, but still a work in progress. Keep the ideas coming. What would you like to see?

BobO'Link
06-10-14, 02:16 PM
Checklist is up to date, but still a work in progress. Keep the ideas coming. What would you like to see?
In that first section, change it to 12 and put:

--- Written by/starring/inspired by/or related in some way to the late Ray Bradbury/Phillip K. Dick -
--- Watch a film directed/produced/written by Ed Wood/Steven Spielberg/Terry Gilliam -*
--- Watch a film directed/produced/written by Roger Corman/Edgar G. Ulmer/Charles Band -
--- Watch a film and its remake/reboot
--- Written by/starring/inspired by/ or related in some way to the late HP Lovecraft / Richard Matheson -

in a section by themselves like the actors is done and drop the "starring" portion on Bradbury, Dick, Lovecraft, and Matheson. Basically a "Written/Directed/Produced/Inspired by:"

Change the decades requirements to either "10" or make the early ones (1900, 1920) optional.

Possibly combine "Myths & Legends" and "Based on fairy tale" as they are mostly the same thing.

LJG765
06-10-14, 03:00 PM
I'm just waiting for ideas.

I suggested these earlier for different directors: Tim Burton, James Cameron, Peter Jackson, Stanley Kubrick, Gene Roddenberry or even Hayao Miyazaki (though he might fit better in Animation challenge).

I'm ok with increasing how many we have to watch in a category, I just like having the ability to skip one or two of my least favorite genres and still be able to feel like I completed the checklist.

shadokitty
06-10-14, 04:13 PM
I suggested these earlier for different directors: Tim Burton, James Cameron, Peter Jackson, Stanley Kubrick, Gene Roddenberry or even Hayao Miyazaki (though he might fit better in Animation challenge).

I'm ok with increasing how many we have to watch in a category, I just like having the ability to skip one or two of my least favorite genres and still be able to feel like I completed the checklist.

D'oh, missed that. Will add it in next time I work on the checklist. Probably tomorrow. :)

shadokitty
06-10-14, 04:14 PM
In that first section, change it to 12 and put:

in a section by themselves like the actors is done and drop the "starring" portion on Bradbury, Dick, Lovecraft, and Matheson. Basically a "Written/Directed/Produced/Inspired by:"

Change the decades requirements to either "10" or make the early ones (1900, 1920) optional.

Possibly combine "Myths & Legends" and "Based on fairy tale" as they are mostly the same thing.

Will change those next time I work on the checklist. :)

BobO'Link
06-10-14, 04:22 PM
I like those and would say throw out the current directors/producers list(s) and do all new. Charles Band has been in the list for several years as has been Corman and Gilliam.

Here are a few more writers/directors/producers who've not been on the list the past few years:

David Cronenberg
James Whale
Ridley Scott
Paul Verhoeven
Robert Wise
Robert Zemeckis
The Wachowski Brothers
Jerry Warren
J. J. "Lens Flare" Abrams
Samuel Z. Arkoff
David Twohy
Richard Fleischer
William Cameron Menzies

Some have only a few credits (which is why we combined these and actors a couple of years back) but if you keep a list at 80-90% needed of the total it should be doable.

LJG765
06-11-14, 12:01 AM
D'oh, missed that. Will add it in next time I work on the checklist. Probably tomorrow. :)

Cool. :)

I like those and would say throw out the current directors/producers list(s) and do all new. Charles Band has been in the list for several years as has been Corman and Gilliam.

Here are a few more writers/directors/producers who've not been on the list the past few years:

David Cronenberg
James Whale
Ridley Scott
Paul Verhoeven
Robert Wise
Robert Zemeckis
The Wachowski Brothers
Jerry Warren
Samuel Z. Arkoff
David Twohy
Richard Fleischer
William Cameron Menzies

Some have only a few credits (which is why we combined these and actors a couple of years back) but if you keep a list at 80-90% needed of the total it should be doable.

Works for me! Maybe some new actors too? I know that this batch has been the same for at least a couple years now.

Alan Rickman
Patrick Stewart
Ian McKellan
Sigourney Weaver
Ron Perlman
Harrison Ford (might be stretching it, but he has starred in 2 very popular series that qualify!)
Tom Cruise (not a favorite of mine, but he's racked up some sci fi/fantasy titles)

Any more women actors anyone can think of or older actors that we haven't already covered?

BobO'Link
06-11-14, 12:39 PM
Cool. :)

Works for me! Maybe some new actors too? I know that this batch has been the same for at least a couple years now.

Alan Rickman
Patrick Stewart
Ian McKellan
Sigourney Weaver
Ron Perlman
Harrison Ford (might be stretching it, but he has starred in 2 very popular series that qualify!)
Tom Cruise (not a favorite of mine, but he's racked up some sci fi/fantasy titles)

Any more women actors anyone can think of or older actors that we haven't already covered?
Here are more actors/actresses for a revised list:

James McAvoy
David Warner
Edward James Olmos
Tilda Swinton
Sir Ian McKellen
Liv Tyler
Peter Dinklage
Charlize Theron
Winona Ryder
Lena Headey
Zoe Saldana
Ian Holm
Hugh Marlowe
Boris Karloff
Sir Cedric Hardwicke
Lionel Atwill
Evelyn Ankers
Abbott & Costello
Peter Graves
Hugh Marlowe
Richard Denning
Susan Cabot
Samuel L. Jackson
Tommy Kirk
Raquel Welch
Ray Milland
Roddy McDowall
Nancy Allen
Rick Moranis
Michelle Pfeiffer

Several of those actors/actresses have only 2-3 qualifying films and many have only 4-5 so it may be prudent to fully check before including. There are also several who will be in a film with others on the list *or* match to a producer/director.

Finding "new" actors/actresses for the list is somewhat difficult as there doesn't seem to be many we've not already used who are known for SF/Fantasy. There were several names I recognized for certain films only to look up their filmography to find they only did 1 or 2 qualifying films.

Yes, A&C are a legit entry performing in at least 4 qualifying films. :)

Here are more producers and directors for consideration:
Ishirō Honda
George Pal
Irwin Allen
Terence Fisher
Jack Arnold
Sidney W. Pink

shellebelle
06-12-14, 10:01 PM

David Cronenberg
James Whale
Ridley Scott
Paul Verhoeven
Robert Wise
Robert Zemeckis
The Wachowski Brothers
Jerry Warren
Samuel Z. Arkoff
David Twohy
Richard Fleischer
William Cameron Menzies

Isn't Paul Verhoeven horror? I can't remember anything science fiction by him. But I could be mistaken.

Also, you could add Edgar Rice Burroughs to the Written By category. He's written the Tarzan books (there are tons of those movies out) and the Barsoom series (at least 3 movies (A Princess of Mars, John Carter, and can't think of the other one) of the first book have been made so I know there are a lot of things out there for him.

BobO'Link
06-13-14, 10:55 AM
Isn't Paul Verhoeven horror? I can't remember anything science fiction by him. But I could be mistaken.
Nope. He directed: Hollow Man, RoboCop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers (hmmm.... I'd have sworn there were more by him...). I think most of the rest of his work is drama/thriller type stuff. I don't think he's directed a horror film.

Also, you could add Edgar Rice Burroughs to the Written By category. He's written the Tarzan books (there are tons of those movies out) and the Barsoom series (at least 3 movies (A Princess of Mars, John Carter, and can't think of the other one) of the first book have been made so I know there are a lot of things out there for him.
Absolutely! I meant to put his name down but just forgot! :)

H.G. Wells and Jules Verne would be a couple more for the "Written/inspired by" category. I've not looked back to see if we've used either before.

coyoteblue
06-13-14, 11:20 AM

Also, The Land That Time Forgot, The People That Time Forgot, At The Earth's Core

shadokitty
06-13-14, 12:30 PM
Too many to quote, but everyone has posted good ideas. I'll work on the checklist this weekend, and possibly the banner too. With my mom's health problems, just haven't been motivated the past few days.

BobO'Link
06-13-14, 01:30 PM
...and the Barsoom series (at least 3 movies (A Princess of Mars, John Carter, and can't think of the other one) of the first book have been made so I know there are a lot of things out there for him.
I'd never heard of Princess of Mars so I had to look it up. Ahhh.... an *Asylum* film... another piece of dreck produced to capitalize on a "Major Motion Picture" release (in this case, John Carter). Hmmm... sometimes these things can be bad/good campy fun... This one stars Antonio Sabato, Jr. and Traci Lords, has a few "good" reviews (of the "it's campy fun" type). I might have to seek out a copy... wait... did I just say that!?!?!

shellebelle
06-16-14, 07:21 PM
I'd never heard of Princess of Mars so I had to look it up. Ahhh.... an *Asylum* film... another piece of dreck produced to capitalize on a "Major Motion Picture" release (in this case, John Carter). Hmmm... sometimes these things can be bad/good campy fun... This one stars Antonio Sabato, Jr. and Traci Lords, has a few "good" reviews (of the "it's campy fun" type). I might have to seek out a copy... wait... did I just say that!?!?!

Yeah, I own it, and love the campiness of it. Granted, it's not the best of films, but it was a fun watch!

shadokitty
06-16-14, 08:54 PM
Checklist is updated. Sorry it took so long, but haven't felt that good lately.

shellebelle
06-17-14, 01:15 PM
Hey Shadokitty, good job on the list. I noticed that you have Hugh Marlowe in the actors twice. Also, we've had Edgar G. Ulmer and Charles Band on the list for years it seems like. Can we change one or both of them to someone else like maybe Edgar Rice Burrroughs and Jules Verne?

shadokitty
06-17-14, 01:56 PM
Hey Shadokitty, good job on the list. I noticed that you have Hugh Marlowe in the actors twice. Also, we've had Edgar G. Ulmer and Charles Band on the list for years it seems like. Can we change one or both of them to someone else like maybe Edgar Rice Burrroughs and Jules Verne?

Done.

LJG765
06-17-14, 09:24 PM
Checklist is updated. Sorry it took so long, but haven't felt that good lately.

Looking good! Thanks for the hard work! I haven't been feeling the greatest the last couple weeks either-and it shows in the current challenge where I've barely watched anything.

Think that the higher numbers to complete the checklist look good. I do have one question/comment though-for the actors, do we want that high of a number? Maybe go down just a bit more for that one, like 23/33? Just seems like a high number of movies to hunt down...but honestly, if no one else objects, it can stay. Just a suggestion. (think my library is going to be seeing a lot of me for this challenge!)

BobO'Link
06-17-14, 11:29 PM
Looking good! Thanks for the hard work! I haven't been feeling the greatest the last couple weeks either-and it shows in the current challenge where I've barely watched anything.

Think that the higher numbers to complete the checklist look good. I do have one question/comment though-for the actors, do we want that high of a number? Maybe go down just a bit more for that one, like 23/33? Just seems like a high number of movies to hunt down...but honestly, if no one else objects, it can stay. Just a suggestion. (think my library is going to be seeing a lot of me for this challenge!)
Many of the actors overlap with other actors and/or directors/producers in the lists. I think there are a few I suggested where 2-4 can be knocked off with a single film. 26/33 is a bit over 20% leaving just under a 80% completion target. I think that sounds doable, especially if you can double-credit a few. Of course there *are* those participants who strive for *no* duplication so they'll have a more difficult time of it.

The other side of that coin is that to complete the checklist with the *minimum* needed without duplication means you pretty much need to concentrate on it exclusively as you need 93 films. I can see where looking for maximum checkage per film would be a good thing.

mrcellophane
06-18-14, 03:14 AM
[B][SIZE="7"]Watch 2 of the following
--- Written by/inspired by/or related in some way to the late Ray Bradbury/Phillip K. Dick -
--- Watch a film directed/produced/written by James Cameron/Steven Spielberg/Terry Gilliam -
--- Watch a film directed/produced/written by Gene Roddenberry/Edgar Rice Burroughs/Jules Verne -

For reasons of aesthetics, could this section be formatted like the other "people" sections? Also, the people who are primarily directors could be simply be moved to that list unless we want to highlight these three directors.

BTW, awesome job with the checklist! Makes me excited to get started!

shellebelle
06-18-14, 03:40 PM
Yes, Shadokitty, you've done a fantastic job on the list. I can't wait to get started on watching movies! I've been holding off on watching anything scifi/fantasy until next month. I'm already working on my list of movies to watch!!

shadokitty
06-18-14, 05:22 PM
For reasons of aesthetics, could this section be formatted like the other "people" sections? Also, the people who are primarily directors could be simply be moved to that list unless we want to highlight these three directors.

BTW, awesome job with the checklist! Makes me excited to get started!

The reason I left it that way, is I don't really have a long list of writers or producers, but will look some up to expand to make it so I can make it formatted like the rest of the checklist.

shadokitty
06-18-14, 05:24 PM
Yes, Shadokitty, you've done a fantastic job on the list. I can't wait to get started on watching movies! I've been holding off on watching anything scifi/fantasy until next month. I'm already working on my list of movies to watch!!

For the most part, I have also held off on watching on any scifi or fantasy, but I have watched some Star Trek on occasion this month.

mrcellophane
06-18-14, 09:29 PM
The reason I left it that way, is I don't really have a long list of writers or producers, but will look some up to expand to make it so I can make it formatted like the rest of the checklist.

That sounds like a lot of work, and it's fine by me to leave it as is. Whatever works best!

shadokitty
06-18-14, 10:12 PM
That sounds like a lot of work, and it's fine by me to leave it as is. Whatever works best!

Ok, we'll leave it as is. Next step, work on the banner. I have also contacted Goldenwheels about a possible sponsorship, but don't know of any other sponsors.

shadokitty
06-19-14, 09:43 AM
Hamiltonbooks is in as a sponsor.

shadokitty
06-24-14, 05:55 PM
List Thread (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/620799-7th-annual-sci-fi-fantasy-challenge-list-thread.html#post12149193) is up.

Also, currently in the process of picking out prizes for the Challenge, and will hopefully get a chance to work on a banner this week some time.

LJG765
06-25-14, 03:23 AM
Quick question-how is counting done for the checklist/watch list?

BobO'Link
06-25-14, 09:35 AM
Quick question-how is counting done for the checklist/watch list?
From the first post:
*Watching enough shorts or TV to count as one entry, you can use that one entry as a check on the checklist, as long as each of them count for whatever you're checking. You can mix and match what you've seen to make a check, they all don't have to be grouped together as a single entry on your watch list.
I'm trying to decide how much I want to try to complete it this year. Even though I caused lots of additions I really want to focus on the unopened piles. I have enough SF/Fantasy in those to breeze through the month but, IIRC, little of it qualifies for the checklist. I really should catalog it to see for sure...

LJG765
06-25-14, 04:49 PM
I saw that, but it doesn't really say how much is one entry. The only time references are about radio shows, I believe. I did go back and look at last years and it looks like 1=1 no matter how long so I think it's however you want to do it. (didn't think to do that before I posted, whoops).

And...the 3rd time I looked at the opening post, I found it.

"Use any counting method you prefer, as prize determination does not depend on number of items watched."

I skipped over that a few times. Gah, sometimes I annoy myself for missing the obvious.

BobO'Link
06-25-14, 09:08 PM
^I missed that too! :lol:

With that line I quoted I'd just thought it was the counting method that uses 4 half-hour or 2 hour TV episodes as a single movie/entry. I've gotten to where like the "easy" method as it doesn't take as much time or space to put TV episodes in a list. That method also seems to help discussion more as you're not so focused on getting raw numbers.

LJG765
06-25-14, 10:31 PM
^I missed that too! :lol:

With that line I quoted I'd just thought it was the counting method that uses 4 half-hour or 2 hour TV episodes as a single movie/entry. I've gotten to where like the "easy" method as it doesn't take as much time or space to put TV episodes in a list. That method also seems to help discussion more as you're not so focused on getting raw numbers.

Yeah, I like just being able to post the update without having to math. :) I agree about not making it about the numbers. I like knowing how many shows I've watched, but it's not like I go back and see how many I watched last year. Maybe some people do, but by letting us do whatever as long as it's numbered, I think everyone can win.

wayoutjunk
06-26-14, 12:30 AM
Is the checklist finalized? I was planning on printing it out if it was, so I could start getting ideas on what I wanted to watch.

shadokitty
06-26-14, 09:32 AM
Is the checklist finalized? I was planning on printing it out if it was, so I could start getting ideas on what I wanted to watch.

It's finalized. Go right ahead. Last things I have to do to get ready for the challenge are pick out prizes and work on a banner.

shadokitty
06-26-14, 03:22 PM
Prizes are chosen, just waiting for the ok from GoldenWheels. Ran into a stumbling block on the banner, so won't be a banner this year. Sorry folks.

shadokitty
06-28-14, 09:47 AM
I've got the prizes picked, and am just waiting for the final ok from GoldenWheels, saying he has pulled them to list them. I hope everyone likes my choices.

On another note, been watching Ancient Aliens Season 3 for the Historical Challenge to wet my appetite for the SciFi Challenge. Plan to start the challenge with double credit something. Either Time Tunnel, or an eligible documentary, like Ancient Aliens, my Movie monster documentary, or perhaps a UFO documentary on Roku. Anyone else have an idea what they are starting with?

Gobear
06-28-14, 10:29 AM
I'm planning to lead out with my Warner Archive disc of On a Clear Day You Can See Forever as a dual entry in both the history and sci-fi/fantasy challenges

SterlingBen
06-28-14, 09:26 PM
I might start with The Event

Not going to have a high score this go around as life is getting pretty busy but still looking forward to it none the less.

mrcellophane
06-28-14, 10:51 PM
I'm hoping to start with Firefly which I haven't watched in several years. I've got lots of films pulled to watch, including loads of Godzilla and Gamera flicks. I also want to revisit the Batman films.

shellebelle
06-29-14, 05:15 AM
I have some rentals I'm holding for the beginning. So I'll watch those first to get my rotation in line. Holy cow! I just noticed that the first is on Tuesday. I can't remember, are we starting on 6/30 at sundown or on 7/1? I guess I could look it up...Naw, too lazy right now.

lisadoris
06-29-14, 06:42 AM
I hope to finish season 4 of The X-Files tomorrow so I can start the challenge with season 5. Maybe, just maybe, I'll even be able to fit in some non X-Files related titles toward the end of the month.

shadokitty
06-29-14, 10:04 AM
I have some rentals I'm holding for the beginning. So I'll watch those first to get my rotation in line. Holy cow! I just noticed that the first is on Tuesday. I can't remember, are we starting on 6/30 at sundown or on 7/1? I guess I could look it up...Naw, too lazy right now.

Sundown on the 30th :)

Indy24LA
06-29-14, 11:56 AM
Got the MST3K 20th and 25th anniversary dvds, so that what I'll be getting into.

shellebelle
06-30-14, 12:59 AM
Sundown on the 30th :)

Thanks shadokitty! :)

LJG765
06-30-14, 02:58 AM
Haven't pulled anything, but am excited to get going on this challenge. I have several movies in mind to watch and actually feel like watching/participating. I've been really busy this month and just not been able to get into this June's challenge, so I'm hoping that July turns out differently! This is one of my favorite genres so it's always easy to find something to watch!

shadokitty
06-30-14, 07:10 AM
Haven't pulled anything, but am excited to get going on this challenge. I have several movies in mind to watch and actually feel like watching/participating. I've been really busy this month and just not been able to get into this June's challenge, so I'm hoping that July turns out differently! This is one of my favorite genres so it's always easy to find something to watch!

This is one of my favorite genres too. It's why I picked up running the challenge. To keep it from disappearing. May start with my Godzilla and Other Movie Monsters documentary for double credit tonight.

shadokitty
06-30-14, 11:37 AM
Just watched the first episode of Xena: Warrior Princess to wet my appetite for tonight. I say it counts, as anything that Netflix has listed as Sci Fi/Fantasy counts by my rules.

shadokitty
06-30-14, 01:14 PM
With the provision that it must be only eligible for double credit with the Historical challenge until sunset tonight, I decided to start the sci fi challenge early and open it up to starting now if you want.

LJG765
06-30-14, 10:32 PM
I think I've gotten to a good start. Watched "The Fly" and "20 Million Miles to Earth." Deciding if I want to finish off the Ray Harryhausen set and watch "Earth vs the Flying Saucers" or if I want to do something a little more recent. I need to check what I have to watch and see if anything else catches my eye.

I was surprised at how much I did enjoy "20 Million Miles," though. These kind of movies are usually hit and miss (and usually more miss than hit) with me but I did enjoy this one. The monster was well done and you did feel a bit sympathetic for it even.

LJG765
06-30-14, 10:35 PM
This is one of my favorite genres too. It's why I picked up running the challenge. To keep it from disappearing. May start with my Godzilla and Other Movie Monsters documentary for double credit tonight.

This one and Animation are my top 2, followed by Holiday. I probably lean a little more towards fantasy than Sci-fi, but both are so fun to watch. I also tend to read these genres so it's fun to see if what I've created in my mind is what is shown on screen.

shadokitty
06-30-14, 11:10 PM
I think I've gotten to a good start. Watched "The Fly" and "20 Million Miles to Earth." Deciding if I want to finish off the Ray Harryhausen set and watch "Earth vs the Flying Saucers" or if I want to do something a little more recent. I need to check what I have to watch and see if anything else catches my eye.

I was surprised at how much I did enjoy "20 Million Miles," though. These kind of movies are usually hit and miss (and usually more miss than hit) with me but I did enjoy this one. The monster was well done and you did feel a bit sympathetic for it even.

I've got that set, and also enjoyed 20 Million Miles to Earth when I watched it. I started, not counting the double credit pre challenge I opened up this afternoon, with more double credit with a couple episodes about the Mayan prophecies on Season 4 of Ancient Aliens. Haven't decided if I want to watch more for more double credit, or branch off into pure sci-fi/fantasy now.

shadokitty
06-30-14, 11:10 PM
This one and Animation are my top 2, followed by Holiday. I probably lean a little more towards fantasy than Sci-fi, but both are so fun to watch. I also tend to read these genres so it's fun to see if what I've created in my mind is what is shown on screen.

Same here.

shadokitty
07-01-14, 10:50 AM
Started today with an episode of Super Robot Red Baron, then decided, eh, move onto something else. I was in the mood to do a film or two from one of my MC sets, and since I couldn't locate my Sci Fi Classics, and Sci Fi Invasion is missing some DVDs from when I was on the verge of tossing the set, I decided on my 20 movie Monsters set. The first movie in the set happens to be one of my favorite genres, a kaiju movie, Monster From A Prehistoric Planet.

pacaway
07-01-14, 11:44 AM
With the provision that it must be only eligible for double credit with the Historical challenge until sunset tonight, I decided to start the sci fi challenge early and open it up to starting now if you want.

I'm glad for that, since I went to see Transformers at 6pm, just a few hours before sundown. Now I can count it!

Undeadcow
07-01-14, 12:33 PM
Starting with Johnny Mnemonic (1995), which I have always felt was a totally under-rated example of 1990s "cheese" and has been a guilty pleasure of mine despite the negative critical ratings - everyone should give Johnny Mnemonic a chance...

shadokitty
07-01-14, 12:40 PM
Turned off my movie, and ran into a roadblock. I have so much I can watch, but don't know what to watch. Maybe I'll look up what's on TV, or browse Roku for something to watch. It's a problem with one of your favorite genres, you have so much, but some times you don't know what strikes your fancy at the moment. Decisions, decisions.

Undeadcow
07-01-14, 12:46 PM
@Shadokitty - sometimes I just turn on mindless fluff when I'm in a unsure mood, in those cases I end up watching a bunch of bad stuff but sometimes there's a real gem.

shadokitty
07-01-14, 01:48 PM
@Shadokitty - sometimes I just turn on mindless fluff when I'm in a unsure mood, in those cases I end up watching a bunch of bad stuff but sometimes there's a real gem.

Good idea. Ended up deciding on some Irwin Allen cheese with The Time Tunnel. Though the early episodes of that series were actually pretty decent.

BobO'Link
07-01-14, 07:10 PM
We were out of town for a family reunion over the weekend so my plans were a bit thrown off. I'd taken a "safe" SF film to watch with the grandkids last night but we wound up watching Lego: The Adventures of Clutch Powers, a movie the their mom picked up at WM earlier that day. It actually wasn't too bad and I enjoyed it more than the recent Lego movie. So did my grandson.

Oddly, neither IMDB or Allmovie has SF or Fantasy as a genre on this one but I don't see how it doesn't fit as it has skeletons, magic, castles, space ships, and more from those genres. I'm going to count it unless someone objects.

I'm hoping to be able to make up for the slow start a bit over the next few days as I took the entire week off for the reunion (it was actually "over" Sunday night but we took a couple more days in the area as a mini-vacation and took the grandkids to tour the caverns a few miles from where we were staying).

I'm trying to decide just what to start with later tonight. I just purchased the newly remastered/released Gamara movies and have quite a few other films purchased over the past year that are itching to be opened...

lisadoris
07-01-14, 09:31 PM
So I have a question for the fellow x-philes among us about the episode "Post-Modern Prometheus." I know the episode is almost twenty years old but I'm going to use spoiler tags anyway because I was really confused watching the episode this time around

So if I understand the story. The Old Man basically adopted his son's creation. The Old Man then set out to make Mutato a mate. They suggest in the episode that the Old Man genetically engineered some of the townspeople crossing human and animal DNA which is why we got the back and forth shots between the people and the animals they resembled. Mutato then decides he's give mating a try and he rapes the mom and the Dr's wife and then everyone comes together to fulfill Mutato's wish of meeting Cher (or her impersonator since she turned down the role). Do I have this right?

shadokitty
07-01-14, 09:45 PM
We were out of town for a family reunion over the weekend so my plans were a bit thrown off. I'd taken a "safe" SF film to watch with the grandkids last night but we wound up watching Lego: The Adventures of Clutch Powers, a movie the their mom picked up at WM earlier that day. It actually wasn't too bad and I enjoyed it more than the recent Lego movie. So did my grandson.

Oddly, neither IMDB or Allmovie has SF or Fantasy as a genre on this one but I don't see how it doesn't fit as it has skeletons, magic, castles, space ships, and more from those genres. I'm going to count it unless someone objects.

I'm hoping to be able to make up for the slow start a bit over the next few days as I took the entire week off for the reunion (it was actually "over" Sunday night but we took a couple more days in the area as a mini-vacation and took the grandkids to tour the caverns a few miles from where we were staying).

I'm trying to decide just what to start with later tonight. I just purchased the newly remastered/released Gamara movies and have quite a few other films purchased over the past year that are itching to be opened...

I'm lenient, go right ahead and count it if you think it counts.

On another note, discovered a B Movie hosted show on Roku that I had never heard of before called Cult of UHF. The host was very unobtrusive. He introduced the movie and closed it, and other than that never appeared during the movie. I just watched a Gamera movie episode of the show, Attack of the Monsters.

LJG765
07-01-14, 11:39 PM
I finished off the Harryhausen set today with both "Earth vs the Flying Saucers" and "It Came from Beneath the Sea." I also watched the extras on both discs, one of which was a very nice documentary narrated by Leonard Nimoy. It was about an hour long and basically was a doc on Harryhausen. How he got his interest in stop motion (his aunt took him to see King Kong), how it turned into a job and a lot of the people he met along the way (Ray Bradbury, Ted Geisel). Quite a nice little bonus for the disc.

Watched "Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back" tonight as well. Tomorrow will finish up with "Return of the Jedi." Fun to watch as usual. And as a nice little continuation of the earlier movies I watched, it has some stop motion action with the AT-ATs.

Going to try to fit one more in tonight-thinking about the MST3k "The Magic Sword." Not sure if I'm in the mood for it though. It'll probably take me longer to settle on a movie than to actually watch it at this rate! I'm also trying to think of the name of a film I watched last year that involved time travel. B movie, I watched it on Youtube, but I liked it so I picked it up on DVD. Problem is, I can't remember the title and it is in a 2/3 pack with a random title so I'm not sure where it is on my shelves. Grr. I may just have to sit down and go through them all and hope it's towards the beginning of the alphabet!

pacaway
07-02-14, 08:36 AM
Yesterday I watched Now You See Me. There definitely were some elements of science fiction in it, so I am going to use my first wild card to count it. I also watched an Irish movie called Grabbers from 2012. It was on Netflix and was an unexpected delight! It had very likable characters and a nice tweak on the typical creature feature in that the monster didn't attack drunk people. (Maybe that's why the characters were so likable!:)) Finished off the day be seeing the new Godzilla movie in 3D again on its last day in theaters here. What an awesome movie. If they try hard enough, I guess there's nothing they can't make look real in movies now.

shadokitty
07-02-14, 10:40 AM
Started the day with a SyFy movie, Showdown at Area 51. Typical Good alien comes to earth to stop evil alien movie, but not a bad movie nonetheless. Maybe I just have a higher tolerance for bad movies though.

BobO'Link
07-02-14, 12:05 PM
...I'm also trying to think of the name of a film I watched last year that involved time travel. B movie, I watched it on Youtube, but I liked it so I picked it up on DVD. Problem is, I can't remember the title and it is in a 2/3 pack with a random title so I'm not sure where it is on my shelves. Grr. I may just have to sit down and go through them all and hope it's towards the beginning of the alphabet!
I'm assuming you watched it for the SF/Fantasy challenge last year. If so it would be easier to look at your list from last year. I did just for fun and came up with one film which seems to fit your description:

Prisoners of the Lost Universe

If that's not it, look at this wikipedia page of time travel films (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Time_travel_films) - it might be easier than digging through your collection (I know it would be for me!:)).

I watched the Irwin Allen version of Lost World last night. I don't believe I've ever seen that one before, which is surprising considering I watched *every* SF/Horror/Fantasy film I could as a kid in the 60s. It was quite entertaining even with the fake dinosaurs made by gluing fins, etc. onto lizards. In spite of the fake "dinosaurs" I'd have loved this one as a kid, but would have grumbled about the dinos! I read that Allen originally wanted to do stop-motion dinosaurs but it was too expensive. Considering how his films were usually budgeted it's not surprising he'd skimp on that area... I liked how a dropped dino egg that breaks at the end of the film reveals a lizard which is called a baby T-Rex when it looks *nothing* like a T-Rex. The egg from which it emerged was large enough to hold a dozen or more of that lizard! At least they used a live lizard for the role! :lol:

I have a documentary running (replacement copy of life of Mammals I picked up - mine had a few spots where it hung) while I'm doing some online stuff and need to decide if I'm going to mow my daughter's lawn or find a movie to put in the player... I'm leaning towards the movie but it's been a couple of weeks since I last mowed and it really needs a trim...

I think the next movie I screen will be the "bonus" film on the Irwin Allen set. It's a copy of the 1925 version of The Lost World which is said to be the "Eastman restoration" and the full film. The downside is it's said this copy was run at 24fps rather than the original screen speed of 18fps so it runs ~75 minutes instead of ~100. That could have significant impact and introduce the "Keystone Cops" effect (i.e. stuff moves too fast). I have a very good version, the Image release which appears to be at the correct speed, so it'll be interesting to see how this one compares.

shadokitty
07-02-14, 12:45 PM
Decided I was in the mood for some Alien, so I dug out my Alien - Predator Total Destruction Collection and put in Alien. Since I threw out the sleeve, the DVDs are loose, but now Predator 2 is missing, but even if I can't locate it, it should be easy to pick up an inexpensive replacement. I've also been looking through my cartoon sets, and realize I have a lot of sci-fi/fantasy animation, and that is good, as lately, I've been kind of hankerin' for some cartoons too. I just wish I could locate my BD/DVD Combo pack of The Last Unicorn. I bought it a couple years ago, and never watched it. Last year when I was going to watch it for this or the Animation challenge, I realized, it was not in my DVD Shelf. I imagine it is probably fallen behind a dresser somewhere, still unopened. Wish me luck in finding it.

shadokitty
07-02-14, 01:06 PM
I've looked everywhere. My only conclusion is someone might have accidentally thrown it out at one point. I guess I'll have to replace my copy of The Last Unicorn.

LJG765
07-02-14, 02:41 PM
I'm assuming you watched it for the SF/Fantasy challenge last year. If so it would be easier to look at your list from last year. I did just for fun and came up with one film which seems to fit your description:

Prisoners of the Lost Universe

It was this one. Thanks for helping! It took me awhile but I eventually found it last night. I went hey-I bought it from Amazon, so I was able to look in my purchase history. It turned out to be a 20 pack, so a few choices to look through, but then I went, d'uh, look at last year's challenge and there it was. Though, there are a couple more in the pack that I'll be watching, so bonus. I swear my mind is going (or it's probably this new med I'm on) and I am totally missing the obvious. Grr.

I am glad I had the name because somehow it got miss shelved. Not too badly, but it wasn't exactly where it was supposed to be which while I don't have a GIGANTIC collection, I do have over 1200 so if it's not nearby, it can get complicated.

I've looked everywhere. My only conclusion is someone might have accidentally thrown it out at one point. I guess I'll have to replace my copy of The Last Unicorn.

Ouch, that's not fun. I hate rebuying something I know I have already bought. I've been pretty lucky in not losing any movies, though I KNOW I bought "Fantastic Four" at one point and I haven't been able to find it in years-it never even made it to my cataloging program, so I have no idea where it went or when it disappeared. It's not a favorite, so I'm not rushing to replace it, but I also feel like as soon as I do, the original will show up in a box somewhere!

PCBreakdown
07-02-14, 04:53 PM
IMDB has Under the Dome listed as Drama | Mystery | Thriller. It's obviously Sci-Fi. Can I count it, or should I use a wildcard?

shellebelle
07-02-14, 05:03 PM
I'm going to count it. Definitely has sci-fi tones so it should be no problem counting it.

BobO'Link
07-02-14, 07:45 PM
I hate rebuying something I know I have already bought...
What's worse is purchasing something you've already purchased but forgot! I've done that several times when I'd see a sale on a title I'd wanted and just jump on it before checking the collection properly. A couple of times I called myself checking the unwatched piles (the biggest cause of my accidental double-dips so far) only to come up empty, order the title, and when it comes in put it right on top of the original purchase! I really need to start cataloging stuff when I make the purchase rather than after I watch it.
IMDB has Under the Dome listed as Drama | Mystery | Thriller. It's obviously Sci-Fi. Can I count it, or should I use a wildcard?
I'm going to count it. Definitely has sci-fi tones so it should be no problem counting it.
I'd have never considered it to *not* be SF material based on the premis. Sidereel.com (the TV side of Allmovie) adds "Fantasy" to the genre list so with that I'd say it's a given.

shadokitty
07-02-14, 07:54 PM

I've seen the commercials, so I'd say count it.

wayoutjunk
07-02-14, 08:32 PM
I started off with Wall-E, one of those movies that's been on my unwatched pile for quite a while. It was more cerebral than I would have expected from a kid's movie, but I enjoyed it. I then watched the "Geek Track", which was commentary provided by four of Pixar's admitted geeks.

I went from that to Troll Hunter (which also helped fulfill my "found footage" and one of my foreign language flicks). I didn't really know what to expect from this one, but I liked it.

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad was next. I thought I had seen it, but I'd probably only seen bits of it. Even in HD, Harryhausen's effects looked awesome!

Next was Dinosaur Island. This is a Fred Olen Ray movie, so you know there will be an engrossing plot, great characterizations, and spectacular special effects. (Stupid auto-correct. That should have said, "This is a Fred Olen Ray movie, so you know there will be boobies. Lots and lots of boobies.")

I'm now starting the double feature of Invasion of the Body Snatchers from 1956 followed by the 1978 version. Should be fun!

pacaway
07-03-14, 08:25 AM
I'm now starting the double feature of Invasion of the Body Snatchers from 1956 followed by the 1978 version. Should be fun!

You know, a real completist would also watch Body Snatchers from 1993 (a fair reimagining WITH boobies, albeit brief) and The Invasion from 2007 with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. :)

shadokitty
07-03-14, 09:18 AM
Highly depressed today, so I want something that doesn't take a lot of concentration. Maybe a scifi cartoon day today. If anyone cares, here is the story of why I am so sad today. We have two outdoor cats, a gray tiger female and a black male. The other day we discovered that Mama had had a couple of kittens. Last night every time I stepped outside, she was just sitting and laying on the porch like she was sad. And since we hadn't seen the kittens in a couple days, I just got this sad feeling with a tightness in my chest wash over me. I just know the kittens were killed or somehow didn't make it.

shadokitty
07-03-14, 10:44 AM
While browsing my Roku, I took a look at a private channel I had added quite a while ago, but never paid much attention to. Today however, I found two sub channels on that channel with good programming for this challenge. The channel if anyone is interested is called FilmOn. And the two channels are Bloodzillathon, a kaiju and Japanese sci fi channel. Earlier I saw Johnny Sokko was airing on it. The other channel is Sci-Fi Telly. I just caught the tail end of a Crash Corrigan serial chapter, Undersea Kingdom, Ch 3, and after that, One Step Beyond came on.

shadokitty
07-03-14, 02:52 PM
In case anyone is wondering about the prizes, on Monday I made a last minute prize switch, and am just waiting for Goldenwheels to get back to me, saying he has pulled the final prize, before I list them.

BobO'Link
07-03-14, 04:12 PM
I'm trying to watch stuff from the unopened piles first - so far it's going well and, because I took the week off for a family reunion last weekend, I've been able to work in a fair number of films so far.

I watched the new version of The Lost World (1925) that came as a bonus feature with the 1962 film. Honestly I didn't see too much difference in what I recall from the Legend copy I already own. But I'm not too familiar with the film and would need to screen both simultaneously to see the differences. No matter - it's still a good film and better than the 1960 version.

After that I sucked it up and put in the copy of Catwoman (2004) I'd picked up on sale at BL over the winter. Yes... I purchased a copy in spite of all the bad reviews and comments. Kind of like a train wreck - I had to see for myself so picked up a copy for ~$1. I was expecting the worst and got a little better than my expectations - as long as I didn't think too much. If you strip away that it's supposedly based on the DC comics character it's a passable, although generic and cliched, super hero type origin story. I kept thinking how the back story seemed more similar to Spider-Man than Catwoman but had to remind myself that she didn't get her abilities from dropping in the goop in the factory but rather from this mystical cat who has seemingly lived since ancient Egyptian times. There were several what I'd consider to be plot holes but, again, if you don't think too hard they are easily overlooked. I gave it 4 stars out of 10 and would watch it again if someone came over and really wanted to see it. Still... It's pretty much a dog of a film if you watch with a critical eye.

After that: Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013). I really wanted to like this more than I did. While it was enjoyable it's just another attempt to spice up a gothic type horror tale with "modern" weapons and fighting styles. I've really grown tired of the current trend to turn everything into some type of action flick with endless ninja style fights. Had this been done in a more "traditional" style I think they'd have had a really good film. As it is, it's a fun diversion but nothing really memorable.

I started this morning with The World's End (2013), a Simon Pegg film. This is another blind buy based on reviews and liking very much Shaun of the Dead. About 30 minutes into the film I stopped it to check IMDB to make sure it qualified for the challenge. At that point it was all about Pegg's character getting his buddies getting back together to finally do "The Golden Mile" and I just didn't see any SF trappings. Yup... it has SF as a genre tag so unpause and keep going. Ahhh... SF mode finally kicks in and it's a insane Invasion of the Body Snatchers run to the finish. While I didn't find it as funny as Shaun... it was still a fun ride.

Then Sunshine (2007), a film I'd never heard of and stumbled across reading reviews of other films. It's a basic "The world is going to end because the sun is going out" type film. When I read a few reviews I was thinking "Oh... another Armageddon type disaster film and about as plausible." Then I read Roger Ebert's review where he said:
The sun is not "dying in the normal sense," IMDb.com reports, but in the Cox scenario "has instead been 'infected' with a 'Q-ball' -- a supersymetric nucleus, left over from the Big Bang...that is disrupting the normal matter. This is a theoretical particle that scientists at CERN are currently trying to confirm -- the film's bomb is meant to blast the Q-ball to its constituent parts, which will then naturally decay, allowing the sun to return to normal."
OK... it's not just another "let's throw a bomb at the sun to re-ignite it" scenario but has a somewhat plausible scientific basis. Still I don't recall getting that explanation from the film. Maybe I missed it... my wife *did* walk through sometime during the first 5-10 minutes and made a comment.

I had really high hopes for this one but it let me down a bit. In spite of the excellent characterizations and suspense in the film I felt it falls into the trap of using several SF tropes/cliches:

1. We found the missing/unheard from original mission and
2. We need to visit that original ship to have a 2nd bomb just in case. But no mention is made of how they'll get that bomb/ship back on course with the limited crew/resources at hand.
3. That visit brings a still living crew member (after *7* years of isolation) who went crazy and killed the crew of the original mission and managed to get aboard the new ship.
4. A crew member who goes "crazy" from the stress of the mission.
5. A crew member thinks they are more important than the mission because of thier rank.
6. A repair *must* be made or the entire mission will be in jeopardy.
7. During the space walk to repair the ship, ship's automation takes over the controls due to issues caused by turning the ship to facilitate repairs. This causes the death of one crew member who sacrifices himself to complete repairs.
8. The *one* person who's most crucial to the mission goes on both the space walk *and* to the other ship. Of course he makes it back from both situations.
9. Even though the science is plausible *JUST HOW* will they keep the bomb from melting from the sun's heat before it makes it all the way to the core? That alone almost much ruined it for me as I just didn't buy that the module would survive.
10. Just *how* were they running out of oxygen with such a large ship? Hell... seal off unused sections and pump that air to where it's needed.
And the apparent need for lots and lots of empty space on a ship of that type. You would think it would have just enough space for the immediate needs of the crew but there are areas that are huge and seemingly empty. Part of that is the "bomb," but would the bomb's core have *that* large a space? Yes, it's a long mission and the crew would need *some* space for moving about and exercise but *that* much?

OK... maybe some of that isn't fair. The film is still very good and has some excellent moments. One that sticks out was when one of the crew was in a observation room viewing the sun at *2%* light level and asked for 4% only to be told it would burn out his eyes in seconds so he settled for the maximum 3.1%. The parts that work best are those which deal with the psychological aspects of the mission on the crew.

My grandson came over so I switched gears to be more kid-friendly. We watched The Three Stooges in Orbit (1962). I saw this one in the theater when it first came out and recall being somewhat unimpressed back then, mainly because of the special effects. I also recalled thinking the alien makeup job really looked fake. It also didn't help that many scenes are reworked bits taken from skits in their early years. So... It's been 10-20 years since I've seen this one and it was better than I'd recalled. While still not on a par with their earlier work it's still superior to the late 50s material with Joe Besser. My grandson laughed a couple of times which is a good indication that he considers it passable.

davidh777
07-03-14, 04:27 PM
The first 75-80% or so of Sunshine is awesome. :up:

Watching ID4 for the holiday!

Highly depressed today, so I want something that doesn't take a lot of concentration. Maybe a scifi cartoon day today. If anyone cares, here is the story of why I am so sad today. We have two outdoor cats, a gray tiger female and a black male. The other day we discovered that Mama had had a couple of kittens. Last night every time I stepped outside, she was just sitting and laying on the porch like she was sad. And since we hadn't seen the kittens in a couple days, I just got this sad feeling with a tightness in my chest wash over me. I just know the kittens were killed or somehow didn't make it.

:(

BobO'Link
07-03-14, 05:05 PM
The first 75-80% or so of Sunshine is awesome. :up:

That's a pretty fair assessment. That last bit was where I had most of my issues.
Watching ID4 for the holiday!
I might just throw that one on as well as it's been a few years since I last did a screening. I saw it in the theater the summer it opened when my wife and I did a dinner/movie "double-date" with one of my cousins and his wife. That was the film selected and my wife actually wanted to see it which was a huge surprise as SF is a genre she normally eschews completely. I had lots and lots of issues with the film but overall thought it was a pretty good turn-off-your-brain "popcorn flick." I watch it now for the over-the-top acting and camp appeal. My grandson is still here and he may enjoy it.

*EDIT*
...and... it's in the player. It was easily found so I threw it in to get his reaction. Now if I can only get his attention away from the "Minecraft" videos (I don't understand the appeal of the game much less watching videos of other people playing...).

mrcellophane
07-03-14, 05:40 PM
I've gotten off to a pretty good start, focusing on rewatching Firefly as well as some new acquisitions (Gamera and Flash Gordon). Of course, the show is excellent, and I love the ensemble so very much! The crew of the Serenity is a lovable bunch of misfits.

Flash Gordon is fun in a low budget way. Buster Crabbe is great. Part of me really wishes all the supporting cast were more attractive. There's a lot of bare legs and torso, but all the men are middle-aged and stocky. I want a little more beefcake!

The Gamera series is just as low budget but not as fun. The first two films were paint-by-the-number affairs that focused too much on uninteresting characters. I'm curious about how the series is going to progress.

BobO'Link
07-03-14, 06:39 PM
I've gotten off to a pretty good start, focusing on rewatching Firefly as well as some new acquisitions (Gamera and Flash Gordon). Of course, the show is excellent, and I love the ensemble so very much! The crew of the Serenity is a lovable bunch of misfits.
It's almost criminal the way Fox treated Firefly. I stopped trying to watch it during the original run. The DVDs made the difference and proved it to be a quality show that *should* have run for several years had it not been bungled, both in scheduling *and* marketing. It's one of my favorites.
Flash Gordon is fun in a low budget way. Buster Crabbe is great. Part of me really wishes all the supporting cast were more attractive. There's a lot of bare legs and torso, but all the men are middle-aged and stocky. I want a little more beefcake!
Those were produced primarily for prepubescent boys who want action, adventure, and a good looking girl or two. They couldn't care less about "beefcake!" :lol:

Seriously though, you can't put any other good looking men against your star! After all, he's the main reason the ladies watched! :D
The Gamera series is just as low budget but not as fun. The first two films were paint-by-the-number affairs that focused too much on uninteresting characters. I'm curious about how the series is going to progress.
I picked up the 11 film DVD set a few weeks back. I think I've only seen a couple of the Gamera films up until now, mainly focusing on the Godzilla films. I always looked upon Gamera as a poor relation and the ones I've seen appear to be aimed squarely at the above mentioned prepubescent boys. I've always enjoyed the first one, and I'm somewhat excited to finally get to see it in the OAR and language, so we'll see how the series progresses as I get into the ones I've never before seen.

Cardsfan111
07-03-14, 11:45 PM
My challenge has been off to a bit of a slow start, though I have managed to watch the Back to the Future trilogy which is always enjoyable. Now I look forward to several days off in the near future with plans to catch up on many things in my unwatched pile. :up:

LJG765
07-04-14, 12:04 AM
What's worse is purchasing something you've already purchased but forgot! I've done that several times when I'd see a sale on a title I'd wanted and just jump on it before checking the collection properly. A couple of times I called myself checking the unwatched piles (the biggest cause of my accidental double-dips so far) only to come up empty, order the title, and when it comes in put it right on top of the original purchase! I really need to start cataloging stuff when I make the purchase rather than after I watch it..

This is why I bought Profiler for my iPod. I love being able to pull it out while shopping and see if I already have it. I'm pretty good at remembering, but when there are sequels involved or seasons, I can never remember the right one!

Very sad! :(

After that I sucked it up and put in the copy of Catwoman (2004) I'd picked up on sale at BL over the winter. Yes... I purchased a copy in spite of all the bad reviews and comments.

After that: Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013).

I saw Catwoman many years ago. A friend had it and since I hadn't watched it, we put it in. I knew at the time that it was supposed to be awful, but I honestly enjoyed it. That was the only time I watched it, so I don't know if I'd have the same feelings now (it's the only Batman film I don't own, I believe) but I remember it being campy fun. I didn't think it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I think sometimes those types of films pick up a reputation that is only partly deserved... My biggest thing with these types of films, is you just can't go looking for the plot holes. Because as soon as you do, you find them and then you (well, at least I can't!) can't enjoy the rest of it. But if you can suspend disbelief enough, you can at least get enough entertainment to make it not a waste of 2 hours.

As for Hansel & Gretel I picked that up Black Friday and I'm glad you mentioned it because I think I would have forgotten about it. I mainly picked it up because Jeremy Renner is in it and I've become...attached... since the Avengers movie. :) I am just hoping it's not so bad as to be unwatchable and I'll be happy with the investment.

I still haven't watched Firefly. I finally saw the series a couple years ago and just haven't gotten to the movie. I need to put that on my list to watch, I guess!

I enjoy the '80s Flash Gordon myself. Such a fun watch. I remember it playing all the time on TV back then and eventually I made a copy, commercials and all. I love the winged guys and the battle on that platform with the spikes. Don't ask me why! I've long since lost the VHS copy, but have picked up the DVD...hmm, this may also go on the list...

I just finished watching Jack and the Giant Slayer. This one has gotten some negative press, if I remember right, but I found it entertaining. I wasn't looking for Oscar material and didn't get it, but I enjoyed what was presented. I'd watch it again. I don't know that I need to own it, but if I came across it in a bargain bin, I'd pick it up.

shadokitty
07-04-14, 12:34 AM
All this talk of Hansel and Gretel makes me want to give it another shot, as I see it on quite a few channels on Roku. Maybe even the Asylum ripoff, Hansel and Gretel: Warriors of Witchcraft. Not tonight though. After taking most of the day off the challenge due to sadness, ready to get back into it, with something easy. Maybe kaiju or sci fi cartoons.

Gobear
07-04-14, 12:53 AM
For those who have cable, Encore is doing an Independence Day marathon.

shadokitty
07-04-14, 01:41 AM
For those who have cable, Encore is doing an Independence Day marathin.

Cool, I'll watch it some time.

mrcellophane
07-04-14, 02:23 PM
It's almost criminal the way Fox treated Firefly. I stopped trying to watch it during the original run. The DVDs made the difference and proved it to be a quality show that *should* have run for several years had it not been bungled, both in scheduling *and* marketing. It's one of my favorites.

When it was on, I wasn't paying much attention to television and missed it entirely. A friend introduced me to it a couple years after it aired. The sad thing is that it often takes science fiction shows a season to settle and really get going (Star Trek: TNG, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Stargate SG-1), but Firefly starts out extremely strong and delivers fourteen extremely good episodes. It's a mystery that Fox couldn't see that they had a quality show on their hands.

Those were produced primarily for prepubescent boys who want action, adventure, and a good looking girl or two. They couldn't care less about "beefcake!" :lol:

Seriously though, you can't put any other good looking men against your star! After all, he's the main reason the ladies watched! :D

Sometimes I forget that there was a time I didn't care about beefcake! I will say that Buster Crabbe is quite the looker, and that hair! One of my favorite aspects so fair has to be Eve Arden's bad lungs. Twice, everyone has been in a situation where they don't have enough air, and she is always the first one to react. The second instance had her fainting before anyone else in the room (including other women) really reacted to the lack of oxygen.

I'm pretty busy this weekend, but hopefully I will find the time to finish up the first set of serials. No one in my family shares my interest in such things, so I'll have to sneak away.

I enjoy the '80s Flash Gordon myself. Such a fun watch. I remember it playing all the time on TV back then and eventually I made a copy, commercials and all. I love the winged guys and the battle on that platform with the spikes. Don't ask me why! I've long since lost the VHS copy, but have picked up the DVD...hmm, this may also go on the list...

Hopefully, I can find a copy and watch it after I finish the serials. I've never seen it, though I do have the Queen song on my iPod. Flash! Savior of the universe!

wayoutjunk
07-04-14, 09:48 PM
While a lot of people watched Independence Day today, I opted for the alien invasion movie that came out around the same time (and the one I liked a lot more), Mars Attacks!. Such a great cast (Jack Nicholson (playing two different roles for no particular reason), Glenn Close, Pierce Brosnan, Danny Devito, Natalie Portman, a young Jack Black, Joe Don Baker (MITCHELL!!), and even Tom freakin' Jones! I personally found it much more enjoyable then ID4, and just as plausible when you think about it.

shadokitty
07-04-14, 10:48 PM
I ordered a TCM Sci-Fi Greatest Hits with 4 classic sci-fi movies from Amazon today. The set contains 2001: A Space Odyssey, Soylent Green, Forbidden Planet, and the 1960 Time Machine. Hopefully, this time when I watch 2001, I might be able to understand the ending, as last time I saw it, it went right over my head.

pacaway
07-04-14, 11:13 PM
I ordered a TCM Sci-Fi Greatest Hits with 4 classic sci-fi movies from Amazon today. The set contains 2001: A Space Odyssey, Soylent Green, Forbidden Planet, and the 1960 Time Machine. Hopefully, this time when I watch 2001, I might be able to understand the ending, as last time I saw it, it went right over my head.

The ending is inexplicable unless you've read the book. It's not just you.

mrcellophane
07-04-14, 11:47 PM
While a lot of people watched Independence Day today, I opted for the alien invasion movie that came out around the same time (and the one I liked a lot more), Mars Attacks!. Such a great cast (Jack Nicholson (playing two different roles for no particular reason), Glenn Close, Pierce Brosnan, Danny Devito, Natalie Portman, a young Jack Black, Joe Don Baker (MITCHELL!!), and even Tom freakin' Jones! I personally found it much more enjoyable then ID4, and just as plausible when you think about it.

I absolutely love Mars Attacks!. A few years ago, they reissued the trading cards, and I had to pick up a couple packs. I think my favorite characters are Pierce Brosnan's perpetually optimistic scientist and Glenn Close's stylish first lady.

I also decided against Independence Day, opting instead for Captain America: The First Avenger as my patriotic selection. I watched it with my grandparents who were extremely entertained. It's my favorite of the first wave of Marvel films. I sometimes prefer my superheroes less pompous than Iron Man or Thor and more memorable than the Incredible Hulk. (For the life of me, I can't remember that movie. I think Liv Tyler runs around reacting to things.)

LJG765
07-05-14, 12:25 AM
Well, I ended up watching a movie tonight that I thought I'd never see and wasn't on my list to watch. My brother convinced me to watch "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" which I had no desire to ever see. I have to admit it wasn't as bad as I was fearing (hate James Franco and the CGI wasn't very consistent) but I doubt I'll watch the sequel or even feel the need to. I admit, I'm not a fan of the originals or the other remake that Burton? did.

It's funny that "Mars Attacks" is being mentioned as I had planned on watching that tonight, but perhaps I'll get to it later. I love all of it. It's such a fun watch.

ororama
07-05-14, 11:15 AM
We watched I Am Legend last night, the first (and I expect only) time with the alternate ending. I don't think they could have come up with a worse ending. If I had seen the alternate ending version first, I don't think I would have ever watched the movie again.

shadokitty
07-05-14, 11:43 AM
While searching for my copy of The Last Unicorn the other day, I came across my set with the trilogy of the first 3 Resident Evil movies, so I decided to watch them today. Milla really kicks some serious ***. Just finished the first movie. Seen the first two, but never seen any mire after that. May watch Afterlife after that, as I see it online.

lisadoris
07-05-14, 01:52 PM
Went to the theater and saw Snowpiercer today. What an interesting film. It was worth the price of admission to watch Chris Evans slip on a fish during a fight scene. I think I read that the graphic novel the film is based on has been translated into English, I think I'll pick it up.

shadokitty
07-05-14, 02:55 PM
Went to the theater and saw Snowpiercer today. What an interesting film. It was worth the price of admission to watch Chris Evans slip on a fish during a fight scene. I think I read that the graphic novel the film is based on has been translated into English, I think I'll pick it up.

Don't think I've heard of that movie. On another note, watched my first bonus feature today with the Cast Commentary on Resident Evil: Apocalypse. Watching these movies made me decide to order Resident Evil: Afterlife, so I only need Retribution now.

ntnon
07-05-14, 04:10 PM
Orphan Black's on Amazon Prime, and it's really good. :)

..I sucked it up and put in the copy of Catwoman (2004) I'd picked up on sale at BL over the winter. Yes... I purchased a copy in spite of all the bad reviews and comments. Kind of like a train wreck - I had to see for myself so picked up a copy for ~$1. I was expecting the worst and got a little better than my expectations - as long as I didn't think too much. If you strip away that it's supposedly based on the DC comics character it's a passable, although generic and cliched, super hero type origin story. I kept thinking how the back story seemed more similar to Spider-Man than Catwoman but had to remind myself that she didn't get her abilities from dropping in the goop in the factory but rather from this mystical cat who has seemingly lived since ancient Egyptian times. There were several what I'd consider to be plot holes but, again, if you don't think too hard they are easily overlooked. I gave it 4 stars out of 10 and would watch it again if someone came over and really wanted to see it. Still... It's pretty much a dog of a film if you watch with a critical eye.
I lowered my expectations as far as I could, and still thought it was terrible a year or so ago..! ;) But the underlined part is my problem, certainly. Why call it Catwoman if you aren't going to base it on Catwoman?!

After that: Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013). I really wanted to like this more than I did. While it was enjoyable it's just another attempt to spice up a gothic type horror tale with "modern" weapons and fighting styles. I've really grown tired of the current trend to turn everything into some type of action flick with endless ninja style fights. Had this been done in a more "traditional" style I think they'd have had a really good film. As it is, it's a fun diversion but nothing really memorable.
It's the steampunk effect, certainly.. although I enjoyed it quite a lot more than I'd thought I would when I saw it. I actually thought that without the 'modern' touches it wouldn't have been as enjoyable as it was..

BobO'Link
07-05-14, 04:16 PM
I will say that Buster Crabbe is quite the looker, and that hair!

I'm pretty busy this weekend, but hopefully I will find the time to finish up the first set of serials. No one in my family shares my interest in such things, so I'll have to sneak away.
He's really a brunette - I read he had his hair dyed blond in order to appear more like the comic strip. He was very self-conscious about this and kept his hat on in public at all times, even with women present. He did not like men whistling at him. :lol:

Because of your post I got out my copy and watched a couple of chapters with my grandson. He really enjoyed what he saw before falling asleep (in all fairness I *did* wait until 9:30 or so before I started them). I hope to get the entire first serial in with him before the challenge ends.
While a lot of people watched Independence Day today, I opted for the alien invasion movie that came out around the same time (and the one I liked a lot more), Mars Attacks!.
I absolutely love Mars Attacks!. A few years ago, they reissued the trading cards, and I had to pick up a couple packs.
IDW Comics issued a 10 issue mini-series comic in 2012/13 based on the cards. The first issue had 55 variant covers - each a large version of one of the original cards! They sold that in a special box set if you wanted them all. The comic was quite good and lots of fun with each issue coming with a reprint card! It was so well received they went off the deep end and started a series of Mars Attacks crossovers with other comic characters. I've ignored those...

I, too, like Mars Attacks better than ID4.
Hopefully, this time when I watch 2001, I might be able to understand the ending, as last time I saw it, it went right over my head.
The ending is inexplicable unless you've read the book. It's not just you.
Exactly. Read the book and *lots* of things will be better understood.

Well, I ended up watching a movie tonight that I thought I'd never see and wasn't on my list to watch. My brother convinced me to watch "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" which I had no desire to ever see. I have to admit it wasn't as bad as I was fearing (hate James Franco and the CGI wasn't very consistent) but I doubt I'll watch the sequel or even feel the need to. I admit, I'm not a fan of the originals or the other remake that Burton? did.
Yes... Tim Burton did the rather poor "reimagined" version. I'd never planned to see "Rise..." but got a copy very cheap so went ahead. I wasn't expecting much but it was better than my expectations - much better than the Burton film. I *do* plan to see the sequel but it's not high on my "must see" list.

But you surely are not including the original POTA with Charlton Heston? That one is a SF classic!

On that note, my grandson and I watched "Beneath...", "Escape from...", and "Conquest of...", yesterday in a mini-marathon. I'm waiting on him to come back over to watch "Battle for..." (IMHO the absolute worst one made - even worse than the Burton film) and will probably watch the Burton version and the new relaunch series. He's really enjoying them, which is understandable as those last 4 were primarily aimed at the kid market.

I'm not much of a fan of the sequels but had wanted a copy of "Beneath...", even though it's not truly all that good, mainly for the bit of closure it provides (until someone figured out how to get around that for the third film). I got all 5 in a set for less than the cost of "Beneath..." alone so figured "Why not?"

I watched the set's bonus documentary (checklist item!), Behind the Planet of the Apes, this morning and found it to be quite good and highly entertaining. Over half of the 2 hour + (!) run time was devoted to the original with the sequels and TV shows each getting about as much attention as they truly deserve.

ntnon
07-05-14, 04:22 PM
I watched the new version of The Lost World (1925) that came as a bonus feature with the 1962 film. Honestly I didn't see too much difference in what I recall from the Legend copy I already own. But I'm not too familiar with the film and would need to screen both simultaneously to see the differences. No matter - it's still a good film and better than the 1960 version.
Is there a 'new' new version.. or is this one (http://www.amazon.com/Lost-World-1960-1925/dp/B000SAGGL4/) the one you mean? :)

BobO'Link
07-05-14, 04:23 PM
[Catwoman]...I lowered my expectations as far as I could, and still thought it was terrible a year or so ago..! ;) But the underlined part is my problem, certainly. Why call it Catwoman if you aren't going to base it on Catwoman?!
My feelings exactly. I watched a bit of the mini-documentary on the disc because it had Julie Newmar and Lee Meriwether doing some of the talking head stuff. At some point someone (don't recall just who) said it deviated from the "origin" as Catwoman never really had one and every era has a different version of Catwoman. I guess that kind of works - *but* when the majority of people going to see the film are expecting the Selina Kyle version but get a all new interpretation you're just asking for trouble! I guess someone didn't pay attention to Burton's reimagined POTA, eh?

BobO'Link
07-05-14, 05:43 PM
To whomever mentioned/recommended The Mighty Peking Man in one of the challenge threads the past few months:

THANK YOU!

I did a blind buy based on the comments that were made and finally watched it this morning. What a hoot! It's one of the funniest films I've seen this year!

pacaway
07-06-14, 12:19 AM
Well, I've used up my second wildcard already, although I don't think I necessarily should have needed to, for Terry Gilliam's Tideland. Neither IMDB nor allmovie.com mentioned fantasy in their genres but Wikipedia calls it a "fantasy thriller". I didn't know anything about it before watching it but assumed it would qualify, being a Gilliam picture after all. It definitely had fantasy elements in it.

I'm going on a bit of a Gilliam kick this week, because Zero Theorem starts here on Friday! Man! I can't wait to see that!

LJG765
07-06-14, 01:39 AM
But you surely are not including the original POTA with Charlton Heston? That one is a SF classic!

Well...I can't say I hated it but it really wasn't in my top ten, to put it lightly. It was ok and it didn't help that I knew what the ending was going be before seeing it for the first time, so I didn't have that "wow" moment.

I just finished "Idaho Transfer." Has anyone seen this as all? I am totally confused about the whole thing. I only watched this because it's on the same disc as "Prisoners of the Lost Universe" and having watched that, wanted to finish the other movies on the disc. Spoiling the rest:

Ok, so, the ending, does them putting her in the trunk mean they are using people as fuel, kind of a Soylent Green take off? What was the point of this movie? Only youngsters could get to the future, old people die. When they get there something happened (did they ever say what?) and now the only people are kids and young adults who all are damaged. Are the future people here and they just don't see them? Are they the ones who killed some of her friends and that's why whats her face was attacking her? And let's ignore that she left a bunch of them-they're just out there camping? They got picked up by future people to be used as gas?

Why did that one chick kill the two guys by the time machine and why did she try to kill Karen (I think that was her name). Also, if the military is in the time facility, how come they have no clue what this place does? They don't ask the scientists, hey where did your daughters go and why did one come back dead?

I'm usually pretty good at suspending disbelief but this movie made no sense. It was directed by Peter Fonda, so I thought it wouldn't be too bad...guess I was wrong!

Two more on this disc to go. Not sure if I'm going to make it...!

I am going on a mini vacation here for the next few days so I'm probably not going to get a lot of viewings in. Bringing some discs with me, just don't know if I'll get to them.

shadokitty
07-06-14, 09:43 AM
I am going on a mini vacation here for the next few days so I'm probably not going to get a lot of viewings in. Bringing some discs with me, just don't know if I'll get to them.

Have fun on your vacation. :)

BobO'Link
07-06-14, 01:43 PM
Last night I watched the restored, original length version of She (1935). Again, I'd have to play the 95 minute version alongside the 102 minute one to see what's been added. It's a very good film but not one I've seen with any regularity so I was unable to pick out the additions.

Then I watched the colorized version so I could listen to the commentary by Ray Harryhausen and Marion Cooper biographer Mark Cotta Vaz. The commentary is only available on the colorized version! While listening I found out why - at least a third of the commentary is solely to extol the virtues of Legend's colorization of the film, which was done under Harryhausen's supervision! The parts *not* dealing with the colorization were quite good but I found myself wishing they'd done the commentary on the B/W version so as to not be constantly pointing out the process. That said, the colorization on this film actually works fairly well and fits the "feel" of the film. Harryhausen said several times that Cooper had wanted to film She in color but the budget was cut at the last minute forcing him to use B/W stock. Of course he's said pretty much the same thing about his works that were colorized under his supervision. There's a high probability that I'll watch the colorized version of this one in the future. Yeah, I know... blasphemy, eh? - I guess I'll have to find a way to reconcile myself with that one... I *do* know I want to watch the colorized version at least *once* again *without* the commentary to see if it truly holds up.

My grandson is back at the house so it's going to be a "Apes" afternoon, starting with the last film of the original POTA series: Battle for the Planet of the Apes. After that one I'll see if he wants to watch the Tim Burton adaptation...

BobO'Link
07-06-14, 01:55 PM
I just finished "Idaho Transfer." Has anyone seen this as all? I am totally confused about the whole thing. I only watched this because it's on the same disc as "Prisoners of the Lost Universe" and having watched that, wanted to finish the other movies on the disc. Spoiling the rest:

Ok, so, the ending, does them putting her in the trunk mean they are using people as fuel, kind of a Soylent Green take off? What was the point of this movie? Only youngsters could get to the future, old people die. When they get there something happened (did they ever say what?) and now the only people are kids and young adults who all are damaged. Are the future people here and they just don't see them? Are they the ones who killed some of her friends and that's why whats her face was attacking her? And let's ignore that she left a bunch of them-they're just out there camping? They got picked up by future people to be used as gas?

Why did that one chick kill the two guys by the time machine and why did she try to kill Karen (I think that was her name). Also, if the military is in the time facility, how come they have no clue what this place does? They don't ask the scientists, hey where did your daughters go and why did one come back dead?

I'm usually pretty good at suspending disbelief but this movie made no sense. It was directed by Peter Fonda, so I thought it wouldn't be too bad...guess I was wrong!
It's been ~4 years since I've seen it but from what I recall:

You are correct about the ending. They are using them for fuel.

Old people's kidney's fail when they are transported - that's why only the young can make the trip.

The reproductive functions of the young become damaged during transport which then negates the sole reason they were sent - to "repopulate/replenish" the Earth.

For your other questions I'd have to watch the film again. As you've now piqued my interest I may do just that... :)
Enjoy! The one I did last week was a nice break - especially so since we were pretty much cut off from all technology.

LJG765
07-06-14, 02:47 PM
Have fun on your vacation. :)

Thanks, I'm going to try!

It's been ~4 years since I've seen it but from what I recall:
You are correct about the ending. They are using them for fuel.

Old people's kidney's fail when they are transported - that's why only the young can make the trip.

The reproductive functions of the young become damaged during transport which then negates the sole reason they were sent - to "repopulate/replenish" the Earth.

For your other questions I'd have to watch the film again. As you've now piqued my interest I may do just that... :)

Enjoy! The one I did last week was a nice break - especially so since we were pretty much cut off from all technology.

I figured that out about the old people and kidneys, I'm just confused as to what happened to wipe out so many people in the past. They give no explanation for that-just a something happened that we only know about because we've been in the future. I guess that would have added plot. :/ I just think this movie was a hot mess! Most of the time, with something like this, I just go, it's a movie, it's a movie. But this one, just kept on making me go "why did that just happen?" Oh well. I'd love to see what you think of it now...

I'm hoping this small break will be fun. It's a full family affair so it might get a little close quarters, but we're right on a lake, so as long as the weather cooperates, I'm planning on spending quite a bit of time in it. Normally we are all cut off from everything but the TV, but I think my brother is getting wi-fi that we can all use as his work needs him to be on call...so I'm totally taking advantage of it. :)

See you all in a few days!

BobO'Link
07-06-14, 07:28 PM
Well... it's my turn for tech problems this time out...

My main computer crashed a hour or so ago. I let it cool (the PS felt a bit warmer than I'd like) but that didn't work so I sucked it up and pulled it out (it has lots of DVDs around it so removal involves relocating a few stacks...), opened it up and nothing felt "hot" - that's when I saw the capacitors... at least 4 bad ones and at a point I'm surprised it's lasted this long! I'm currently using my work laptop and attempting to get one of the "spares" I have up and working. Of course the last one I messed around with has also decided to be problematic... sigh... at least I do this for a living so I'm not beholden to anyone else for support. :)

On a brighter note...

My grandson and I watched Battle for the Planet of the Apes (which he proclaimed to be the worst one), the Tim Burton reimagined one (which he liked better than "Battle..." but said it wasn't all that good - bright kid), and the first of the latest relaunch, Rise of... which he liked. I made sure he saw it and understood what was going on as he's somewhat interested in seeing the latest installment. We'll see... I've not yet decided if I want to see it in the theater or just wait for the DVD.

When I put the last one in the player he commented "If that's another Ape movie I'm going to be all aped out when it's over..." :lol: As it started I assured him there were *no more* to watch unless we go to the theater!

*EDIT*
I'm back on a desktop which makes me happy. I'm not too fond of laptop or tablet systems...

mrcellophane
07-06-14, 11:27 PM
My grandson and I watched Battle for the Planet of the Apes (which he proclaimed to be the worst one), the Tim Burton reimagined one (which he liked better than "Battle..." but said it wasn't all that good - bright kid), and the first of the latest relaunch, Rise of... which he liked. I made sure he saw it and understood what was going on as he's somewhat interested in seeing the latest installment. We'll see... I've not yet decided if I want to see it in the theater or just wait for the DVD.

I may try to fit in some of the PotA films. I hadn't planned on revisiting the series, but it may be time with the new film hitting theaters. The sequels are definitely not up to par with the original, but they're still a lot of fun!

Today, I finished the first Flash Gordon serial and started Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars which must have had a larger budget. There are some cool effects - I especially liked the clay men dissolving in the cave walls - and the costumes look more convincing. Flash is as dashing as ever. I looked up photos of Buster Crabbe, and he looks much different as a brunette. Speaking of which, Eve Arden is now a brunette; unfortunately, she still has that darn fainting problem.

I also continued my foray into the Gamera series with Gamera vs. Viras. Wow... just wow... vs. Gyaos was a step in the right direction, easily besting vs. Barugon, but vs. Viras was just the worst. It's basically a clips show, recycling the monster battles from the first three films and shoehorning them into a frame story that has aliens kidnapping two boy scouts in order to control Gamera. Thankfully, the boys are not as annoying as the kids in previous films. Anyway, I hope the series picks up in the 70s; if not, I just have to hold out until the 90s trilogy.

shadokitty
07-07-14, 05:57 PM
Prizes are all pulled and ready to go. I have updated the first post with the prizes. Here they are. They are in 3 groups.

Group 1: OOP Double DVD set of Star Wars IV: A New Hope, with the Theatrical Edition; Event Horizon; Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus
Group 2: Close Encounters of the Third Kind: 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition; Gamera Legacy Collection, 1965-1999: 11 Movie Set
Group 3: King Kong: The History of a Movie Icon From Fay Wray to Peter Jackson (book); Battle: Los Angeles

Once again, a big thanks go out to Goldenwheels.

On another note, watched the original King Kong this afternoon, for the first time in about a year. Always enjoyed that movie.

Cardsfan111
07-07-14, 06:02 PM
Watched a Kubrick double feature this afternoon: 2001: A Space Odyssey & A Clockwork Orange. I had never seen either one. I wish I could have the afternoon back to do-over. ;) Hard to understand the mass appeal regarding these 2 films.

Gobear
07-07-14, 11:06 PM
Watched a Kubrick double feature this afternoon: 2001: A Space Odyssey & A Clockwork Orange. I had never seen either one. I wish I could have the afternoon back to do-over. ;) Hard to understand the mass appeal regarding these 2 films.

:hscratch:

I watched Jodorowsky's Dune on demand. I find Jodorowsky to be a fascinating director whose visions do not always translate to the mass market. The costume designs and the Proustian length of his script (14 hours!) would not have worked, but I would have loved to have seen his version. Guillermo del Toro would be a great choice to create a new film of Frank Herbert's novel. IMO.

mrcellophane
07-08-14, 12:46 AM
I watched Jodorowsky's Dune on demand. I find Jodorowsky to be a fascinating director whose visions do not always translate to the mass market. The costume designs and the Proustian length of his script (14 hours!) would not have worked, but I would have loved to have seen his version. Guillermo del Toro would be a great choice to create a new film of Frank Herbert's novel. IMO.

I want to check out this documentary; I've heard such good things. Now, I really want to watch Guillermo del Toro's Dune. I also feel that Darren Aronofsky could be up to the task.

This morning I think I encountered a John Woo film. I was driving to work, and suddenly an explosion of birds flew in front of my car. When I got to work, I was confronted with my credit card statement and two cartons of sound recordings that needed to be entered into a database of the archives. This meant a day of dull data entry and invoice shuffling. To alleviate some of my boredom, I watched Escape to Witch Mountain (1975) and enjoyed its 70s campiness. I will say that the children are a lot creepier than intended. Oh, and Eddie Albert's hair is massive.

I also delved into The Captains Close Up. The episodes are compiled from interview footage that William Shatner didn't use in his documentary. I loved it. The documentary pretty much focused on Shatner and his journey, and these episodes give us a clearer picture of the actors that have sat in the Captain's seat. The three I watched were fascinating.

When I got home, I shifted back to kiddie entertainment with Gamera vs. Guiron which was a definite step up from vs. Viras. Two boys end up on a distant planet, and Gamera has to come to the rescue. While the puppets are just as terrible, the miniature work was really good. I loved the design of the alien buildings. Also, there are sexy space vixens with a taste for children's brains, so that's a point in the movie's favor.

SterlingBen
07-08-14, 01:40 AM
It might be the alcohol talking but I am really liking the Planet Of The Apes TV series.

BobO'Link
07-08-14, 02:40 PM
Today, I finished the first Flash Gordon serial and started Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars...Eve Arden is now a brunette; unfortunately, she still has that darn fainting problem.
She, too, dyed her hair blonde for that first one. Brunette is her natural hair color.
I also continued my foray into the Gamera series with Gamera vs. Viras. Wow... just wow... vs. Gyaos was a step in the right direction, easily besting vs. Barugon, but vs. Viras was just the worst. It's basically a clips show, recycling the monster battles from the first three films and shoehorning them into a frame story that has aliens kidnapping two boy scouts in order to control Gamera. Thankfully, the boys are not as annoying as the kids in previous films. Anyway, I hope the series picks up in the 70s; if not, I just have to hold out until the 90s trilogy.
I need to open my copy of that set and start watching. My problem is I much prefer the original Japanese with subtitles but if I start it too late I'll easily fall asleep on it. Maybe this weekend...

I jumped out of movie mode a bit to start Season 2 of Deep Space 9. It's been years since I've seen that one and I recently caved and purchased S2-4 (I already had S1 & S5 and watched S1 sometime back). I can also watch TV episodes late at night and easily catch up/re-watch any sections I fall asleep on. At this point I'm thinking I enjoyed S1 better than the first 8 episodes I've seen of S2. Most of them have felt pretty generic/disposable but I see some of the coming turmoil beginning to build.

shadokitty
07-08-14, 04:02 PM
She, too, dyed her hair blonde for that first one. Brunette is her natural hair color.

I need to open my copy of that set and start watching. My problem is I much prefer the original Japanese with subtitles but if I start it too late I'll easily fall asleep on it. Maybe this weekend...

I jumped out of movie mode a bit to start Season 2 of Deep Space 9. It's been years since I've seen that one and I recently caved and purchased S2-4 (I already had S1 & S5 and watched S1 sometime back). I can also watch TV episodes late at night and easily catch up/re-watch any sections I fall asleep on. At this point I'm thinking I enjoyed S1 better than the first 8 episodes I've seen of S2. Most of them have felt pretty generic/disposable but I see some of the coming turmoil beginning to build.

I've watched Deep Space 9 off and on on Netflix. Still on Season 1, but enjoying what I see so far.

davidh777
07-08-14, 04:08 PM
I might just throw that one [ID4] on as well as it's been a few years since I last did a screening. I saw it in the theater the summer it opened when my wife and I did a dinner/movie "double-date" with one of my cousins and his wife. That was the film selected and my wife actually wanted to see it which was a huge surprise as SF is a genre she normally eschews completely. I had lots and lots of issues with the film but overall thought it was a pretty good turn-off-your-brain "popcorn flick." I watch it now for the over-the-top acting and camp appeal. My grandson is still here and he may enjoy it.

*EDIT*
...and... it's in the player. It was easily found so I threw it in to get his reaction. Now if I can only get his attention away from the "Minecraft" videos (I don't understand the appeal of the game much less watching videos of other people playing...).

Turn-off-your-brain popcorn pretty much sums it up. My kid had never seen it but was doing some eye-rolling.

I followed it up with some more Will Smith: I, Robot, which I haven't seen in years but looks very good on BD and has some cool imagery.

The TCM sets are great for both shelf space and challenges. :up:

Orphan Black's on Amazon Prime, and it's really good. :)

I'm trying to finish up the first season, which I started for the Action challenge. :) Watched eps 5-7 last night.

BobO'Link
07-08-14, 04:18 PM
I've watched Deep Space 9 off and on on Netflix. Still on Season 1, but enjoying what I see so far.
I think what threw me off is the season starts with a *three* parter that could have easily been done in two. Most of the episodes so far (5 of 8) have dealt with the Cardassians in some way or another. Looking over the synopsis of episodes to come shows this to be significantly lessened with a return to more character development and less about the Cardassians. I don't have a issue with the episodes other than they seemed to drag down the season beginning a bit. Had they put these later in the season, or had I gone directly from S1 to S2 with no time between, I think I'd have a better opinion of them. based on some of the synopsis I read I'm looking forward to some upcoming episodes.

shadokitty
07-08-14, 04:48 PM
The TCM sets are great for both shelf space and challenges. :up:

Very true. I think tonight I'm going to watch Beast From 20,000 Fathoms from the TCM set I already own, and then go into my Harryhausen set.

shadokitty
07-09-14, 10:07 AM
I've decided to start a long term challenge for myself, and what better time to start it than this time of month. I'm going to work through all Star Trek episodes and movies. While this month won't be all Star Trek, I'm going to watch a lot of it.

mrcellophane
07-09-14, 01:07 PM
I've decided to start a long term challenge for myself, and what better time to start it than this time of month. I'm going to work through all Star Trek episodes and movies. While this month won't be all Star Trek, I'm going to watch a lot of it.

Sounds like quite the challenge! In the last couple of years, I've watched all of TOS and TNG as well as all of the films. I haven't started DS9 yet. It's the only series I haven't really watched before. I've seen all of Voyager and much of Enterprise either during their original run or in reruns. Not sure if I'll get back to it during this challenge.

BobO'Link
07-09-14, 04:39 PM
Good luck! That's a *lot* of content there! :)

LJG765
07-09-14, 11:59 PM

Travis and I watched all of TOS last year, plus the animated series and some of the movies. We're sort of trying to finish off the rest of the movies, but life got in the way for both of us. I really enjoyed the marathon, though. I'm not sure if I could have done ALL the series (heck, I only have one season of TNG, all of Enterprise and most of the fan packs (like the Time Travel one) so I couldn't actually do them all) even with taking my time without getting a bit overwhelmed. I hope you manage it!

I'm back from vacation, weather did not cooperate which was a bit sad-rain for 3 days and then 60s today, but I hope to get back this weekend and get in some swimming yet. Did get out on the lake today which was probably the funnest part of the week (by the end, we were all getting a bit cooped up). I had brought some dvds with me, but they did not get watched. Oh well. I'm enjoying the quiet tonight, but plan to get a couple watches in tomorrow after my appointments.

shadokitty
07-10-14, 01:12 AM
Travis and I watched all of TOS last year, plus the animated series and some of the movies. We're sort of trying to finish off the rest of the movies, but life got in the way for both of us. I really enjoyed the marathon, though. I'm not sure if I could have done ALL the series (heck, I only have one season of TNG, all of Enterprise and most of the fan packs (like the Time Travel one) so I couldn't actually do them all) even with taking my time without getting a bit overwhelmed. I hope you manage it!

I'm back from vacation, weather did not cooperate which was a bit sad-rain for 3 days and then 60s today, but I hope to get back this weekend and get in some swimming yet. Did get out on the lake today which was probably the funnest part of the week (by the end, we were all getting a bit cooped up). I had brought some dvds with me, but they did not get watched. Oh well. I'm enjoying the quiet tonight, but plan to get a couple watches in tomorrow after my appointments.

After thinking about it, I realized it -would- be too much of an undertaking, just wishful thinking I guess.

LJG765
07-10-14, 04:57 AM
After thinking about it, I realized it -would- be too much of an undertaking, just wishful thinking I guess.

I didn't mean to discourage you! Maybe make a goal of getting through TOS and the animated series in a certain time frame. Then maybe the movies related to the TOS cast. And then go on to the other series from there?

lisadoris
07-10-14, 07:40 AM
I made my way through the entire Trek franchise in 2012. It took about eight months to do but it is doable - if not exhausting. The various challenges helped me push through the episodes a tad faster than I probably would have done on my own. It was totally worth it to finally see the episodes I had never watched before and to relive some of the great ones and it helped me remember why I'm a Trekkie in the first place.

shadokitty
07-10-14, 09:41 AM
I didn't mean to discourage you! Maybe make a goal of getting through TOS and the animated series in a certain time frame. Then maybe the movies related to the TOS cast. And then go on to the other series from there?

Maybe do TOS, the animated series, and the TOS movies over a period of 6 months, then if I'm not worn out, pick another series.

BobO'Link
07-10-14, 09:49 AM
Go for it! Sure it's a somewhat daunting task but you'll kick yourself later if you back out... There's nothing that says you have to marathon them all. :)
I made my way through the entire Trek franchise in 2012. It took about eight months to do but it is doable - if not exhausting. The various challenges helped me push through the episodes a tad faster than I probably would have done on my own. It was totally worth it to finally see the episodes I had never watched before and to relive some of the great ones and it helped me remember why I'm a Trekkie in the first place.
While I've never done this I can easily see me making the attempt. I'm anal enough to want to view them in original airing order which would mean concurrent viewings of some series and a bit of record keeping.

Other than a glut of unopened TV/movie content, the main thing holding *me* back is not owning the last 2 seasons of DS9 and last 5 of TNG (I do *not* stream unless it's absolutely necessary - it's just too flaky for me to mess with for something of that nature). With planning those could possibly be purchased before hitting those seasons.

shadokitty
07-10-14, 10:18 AM
Go for it! Sure it's a somewhat daunting task but you'll kick yourself later if you back out... There's nothing that says you have to marathon them all. :)

While I've never done this I can easily see me making the attempt. I'm anal enough to want to view them in original airing order which would mean concurrent viewings of some series and a bit of record keeping.

Other than a glut of unopened TV/movie content, the main thing holding *me* back is not owning the last 2 seasons of DS9 and last 5 of TNG (I do *not* stream unless it's absolutely necessary - it's just too flaky for me to mess with for something of that nature). With planning those could possibly be purchased before hitting those seasons.

True, I don't even have to watch Trek every day, do I? I don't have to do it in 8 months, like Lisadoris did, do I? I don't own a lot of Trek either, just figured on using Netflix for most of it.

Right now, I'm at a roadblock of what to watch, want to watch something, but don't know what, and not in the mood to work on my Star Trek challenge at the moment. Got a lot on Netflix, a lot of DVDs, and a lot to pick from on Roku, but nothing jumps out at me. Been pondering starting Tekkaman Blade, as I've got the set, but never made it past disc 1 before. It's the Japanese version of Teknoman, but much more adult, as violence abounds. I've also thought about Super God Masterforce or the Rebirth of Mothra series. Could also veer into fantasy with Conan, and Red Sonja. Just don't know what to watch.

shadokitty
07-10-14, 11:01 AM
Decided to watch some Masterforce. It really is much better than Headmasters.

BobO'Link
07-10-14, 12:45 PM
Right now, I'm at a roadblock of what to watch, want to watch something, but don't know what, and not in the mood to work on my Star Trek challenge at the moment. Got a lot on Netflix, a lot of DVDs, and a lot to pick from on Roku, but nothing jumps out at me.
I looked over your lists the past few years and one thing that jumped out at me is they seem to be missing many "classics" of the genre... So with that said, might I suggest:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (both 1956 and 1978 are excellent)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Forbidden Planet (1956)
The Road Warrior (1981 - aka Mad Max 2)
A Boy and His Dog (1975)
Blade Runner (1982)
Dark Star (1974)
Earth vs The Flying Saucers (1956)
Quatermass and the Pit (1967)
Silent Running (1972)
Solaris (1972)
Soylent Green (1973)
The Thing from Another World (1951)
The Thing (1982)
War of the Worlds (1953)

shadokitty
07-10-14, 02:31 PM
I looked over your lists the past few years and one thing that jumped out at me is they seem to be missing many "classics" of the genre... So with that said, might I suggest:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (both 1956 and 1978 are excellent)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Forbidden Planet (1956)
The Road Warrior (1981 - aka Mad Max 2)
A Boy and His Dog (1975)
Blade Runner (1982)
Dark Star (1974)
Earth vs The Flying Saucers (1956)
Quatermass and the Pit (1967)
Silent Running (1972)
Solaris (1972)
Soylent Green (1973)
The Thing from Another World (1951)
The Thing (1982)
War of the Worlds (1953)

I have some of those coming actually, from Amazon.

shadokitty
07-10-14, 06:31 PM
I hit the challenge hard today, but in order to avoid burnout, I plan to step away from sci-fi for a day or two, and just watch what I want.

BobO'Link
07-10-14, 07:20 PM
I hit the challenge hard today, but in order to avoid burnout, I plan to step away from sci-fi for a day or two, and just watch what I want.
I didn't know it was possible to burn out watching SF... ;)

pacaway
07-10-14, 07:49 PM
Going to Sharknado: RiffTrax Live tonight!

LJG765
07-10-14, 08:09 PM
Watched "Star Odyssey" today. I really wish I hadn't. Woofta, this was a bad one. Filmed right after "Star Wars" was, it tries to use some of the same ideas (light sabers) in a horrible, horrible way. Pass on this one if you can!

shadokitty
07-10-14, 08:18 PM
I didn't know it was possible to burn out watching SF... ;)

Even if it's one of my favorite genres, I -do- like to watch other stuff now and then. ;)

SterlingBen
07-11-14, 12:50 AM
Everyone would agree with these checks, right?
-x- Dystopian Society - Planet Of The Apes S01E01-14
-x- Post-Apocalyptic - Planet Of The Apes S01E01-14
-x- Alternate History - Planet Of The Apes S01E01-14

shadokitty
07-11-14, 10:02 AM

I'm not familiar enough with the pota series to give an accurate judgment. I'll defer to what others say.

Giles
07-11-14, 10:04 AM
Going to Sharknado: RiffTrax Live tonight!

and? how was it??

watched "Les Aventures Extraordinaires D'Adèle Blanc-Sec" (dir. Luc Besson) last night - what a strange movie. Not his best, but certainly odd.

pacaway
07-11-14, 10:17 AM
and? how was it?? [Sharknado: RiffTrax Live!]

Well, I really hated this movie when it was on TV, but it was FANTASTIC last night! They made fun of all the crap that bugged me about it. And they had an old B&W short about springs (yes, metal coils) that was hilarious. I just can't think of a reason it would have been made in the first place but it was sure funny to see them pick it apart! :) It was good times, for sure.

wayoutjunk
07-11-14, 10:39 AM
and? how was it??

The Rifftrax version of Sharknado was indeed great! If it was playing near you and you missed it, you might check and see if a theater near you is playing the encore performance of it this Tuesday night. It's worth seeking out. (It's just too bad I can't count it towards my Challenge this month!)

davidh777
07-11-14, 10:44 AM
Easily the worst movie I'll watch for this or any other challenge (except maybe B Movie): The last Twilight, so the wife and daughter could finish off the series. So. Bad. At least we enjoyed mocking it.

I'm not familiar enough with the pota series to give an accurate judgment. I'll defer to what others say.

Granted I haven't seen the TV series, but the categories make sense to me just based on the franchise.

watched "Les Aventures Extraordinaires D'Adèle Blanc-Sec" (dir. Luc Besson) last night - what a strange movie. Not his best, but certainly odd.

I watched that for another challenge. Odd, but interesting. I started one of the comics and need to get back to it.

wayoutjunk
07-11-14, 10:52 AM
It seems like I've accidentally gotten preoccupied with Mars, considering I've seen Mars Attacks!, Mars Needs Women, and Invaders from Mars this month.

Journey to the Seventh Planet wasn't bad. It was kind of like a glorified Star Trek episode (astronauts land on planet, and an alien intelligence tries to lure them to their doom by conjuring up women from the astronauts' past). I guess they called the movie Journey to the Seventh Planet because calling it Journey to Uranus would sound like a movie about getting a colonoscopy. It does have a wonderfully odd love theme during the closing credits though. Take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMYmtYF8MTQ

pacaway
07-11-14, 11:13 AM
The Rifftrax version of Sharknado was indeed great! If it was playing near you and you missed it, you might check and see if a theater near you is playing the encore performance of it this Tuesday night. It's worth seeking out. (It's just too bad I can't count it towards my Challenge this month!)

Funny! I didn't even hesitate to count it this month! Sharks being dumped from the sky in Tornados? What could be more science fiction than that, or at least fantasy? Hmm, but now that you say it, maybe I shouldn't have.

Anyone else have any thoughts on counting Sharknado?

By the way, it was definitely the best theatrical RiffTrax presentation I've seen so far. One of my sons and I saw Starship Trooper and Night of the Living Dead before this. They were good too, but Sharknado definitely wins.

BobO'Link
07-11-14, 11:19 AM

OK... I'll sound off... :)

I've never seen the series but based on the films and synopsis of the episode cited I'd say:

*Yes* on "Dystopian Society": Humans in a Ape controlled environment pretty well fits the dystopian definition.

*Yes* on "Post-Apocalyptic": the series is Earth of the future *after* some apocalyptic type event wiped out man.

*No* on "Alternate History" as the series takes place in the future. In the series premier it's established the year is ~3085 (based on the ships' chronometer) and the astronauts find a book dated 2500 which proves to them they are in the future. IMHO to be "Alternate History" the story should be roughly based on or involve a historic event and take place in that past depicting events differently than what actually occurred.

BobO'Link
07-11-14, 11:25 AM
Funny! I didn't even hesitate to count it this month! Sharks being dumped from the sky in Tornados? What could be more science fiction than that, or at least fantasy? Hmm, but now that you say it, maybe I shouldn't have.

By the way, it was definitely the best theatrical RiffTrax presentation I've seen so far. One of my sons and I saw Starship Trooper and Night of the Living Dead before this. They were good too, but Sharknado definitely wins.
Both IMDB and AllMovie show "Horror" - I'd say wildcard it if you're in doubt. Plus it's from The Asylum... It certainly sounds like it could fit the Fantasy label even though it's somewhat plausible...

Ash Ketchum
07-11-14, 12:30 PM
OK... I'll sound off... :)

*Yes* on "Dystopian Society": Humans in a Ape controlled environment pretty well fits the dystopian definition.

Now, now, I'm quite sure that Zaius and the other esteemed ape elders would be absolutely insulted to hear their egalitarian simian society being called "dystopian." ;)

BobO'Link
07-11-14, 12:41 PM
My grandson found The Nightmare Before Christmas on the shelf earlier this week and asked to see it. Everything aligned properly yesterday so we watched it early yesterday evening. After it went off I asked him if he liked it. He said: "It's good in a cheesy kind of way." I asked him if he liked the musical numbers. He replied: "It had music in it?" That's when I said "Yes... It's a *musical*. How did you not notice?" His reply was: "Well... I guess 'cause it's a Disney thing and they *all* have music." :lol: At least he's noticed that almost all Disney animations have musical numbers.

From there I watched the French film Le magnifique (aka: How to Destroy the Reputation of the Greatest Secret Agent...) (1973). That's a very funny film! When a "bad" spy is in a phone booth that's picked up by a helicopter *while he's on the phone* during the open I knew I was in for a fun ride. It's one of those films I'd never heard of and stumbled across reading about other stuff. I read the premis, saw that it is considered a very good spy spoof, and also stars Jacqueline Bisset. I found a relatively inexpensive copy and ordered it. It's a good purchase and one I'll watch again in the future.

Then was more DS9. It's better now that the they are back to more single story episodes. While those first 3 weren't "bad" they really weren't all that good a season opener.

BobO'Link
07-11-14, 12:42 PM
Now, now, I'm quite sure that Zaius and the other esteemed ape elders would be absolutely insulted to hear their egalitarian simian society being called "dystopian." ;)
Of course! But I'm speaking strictly from the human point of view. :D

shadokitty
07-11-14, 12:45 PM
Both IMDB and AllMovie show "Horror" - I'd say wildcard it if you're in doubt. Plus it's from The Asylum... It certainly sounds like it could fit the Fantasy label even though it's somewhat plausible...

Netflix has Sharknado under the Sci-Fi/Fantasy heading. It is on my queue some time this month.

pacaway
07-11-14, 01:20 PM
Netflix has Sharknado under the Sci-Fi/Fantasy heading. It is on my queue some time this month.

Yes! :)

Giles
07-11-14, 01:25 PM
well we can't go without mentioning the sequel to Sharknado - airing on SyFy near the end of the month can't we??

Giles
07-11-14, 01:27 PM
My grandson found The Nightmare Before Christmas on the shelf earlier this week and asked to see it. Everything aligned properly yesterday so we watched it early yesterday evening. After it went off I asked him if he liked it. He said: "It's good in a cheesy kind of way." I asked him if he liked the musical numbers. He replied: "It had music in it?" That's when I said "Yes... It's a *musical*. How did you not notice?" His reply was: "Well... I guess 'cause it's a Disney thing and they *all* have music." :lol: At least he's noticed that almost all Disney animations have musical numbers.

From there I watched the French film Le magnifique (aka: How to Destroy the Reputation of the Greatest Secret Agent...) (1973). That's a very funny film! When a "bad" spy is in a phone booth that's picked up by a helicopter *while he's on the phone* during the open I knew I was in for a fun ride. It's one of those films I'd never heard of and stumbled across reading about other stuff. I read the premis, saw that it is considered a very good spy spoof, and also stars Jacqueline Bisset. I found a relatively inexpensive copy and ordered it. It's a good purchase and one I'll watch again in the future.

Then was more DS9. It's better now that the they are back to more single story episodes. While those first 3 weren't "bad" they really weren't all that good a season opener.

kids say the darndest funniest things don't they? :lol:

pacaway
07-11-14, 03:05 PM
well we can't go without mentioning the sequel to Sharknado - airing on SyFy near the end of the month can't we??

They actually showed an exclusive clip of Sharknado 2 before the show last night.

wayoutjunk
07-11-14, 06:00 PM

Well, that's good enough for me! I'll go ahead and add it to my list then. Thanks!

LJG765
07-11-14, 07:13 PM
I watched "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" this afternoon. Still enjoyed it, and I plan on watching the 2nd one tonight. But instead of watching it right after, I felt in the mood for "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." Pop it in and was like-um, I know that guy. Totally didn't realize (it's been several years since I watched it) Martin Freeman was the main character in both.

mrcellophane
07-11-14, 10:49 PM
It seems like I've accidentally gotten preoccupied with Mars, considering I've seen Mars Attacks!, Mars Needs Women, and Invaders from Mars this month.

Journey to the Seventh Planet wasn't bad. It was kind of like a glorified Star Trek episode (astronauts land on planet, and an alien intelligence tries to lure them to their doom by conjuring up women from the astronauts' past). I guess they called the movie Journey to the Seventh Planet because calling it Journey to Uranus would sound like a movie about getting a colonoscopy. It does have a wonderfully odd love theme during the closing credits though. Take a look!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMYmtYF8MTQ

You should watch John Carter; it's pretty awesome!

I watched Journey to the Seventh Planet for the B-Movie Challenge this year, and I absolutely love that theme. If I ever get married, it has to be incorporated into the ceremony!

Yesterday, I started rewatching the original Battlestar Galactica. It's been years since I last watched the series, and I still enjoy it. Of course, my feelings for it are a bit tampered by the remake, so the original feels tonally erratic. Most of humanity has been wiped out, and Starbuck is womanizing and wisecracking up a storm. With a few exceptions, we don't really get a sense that anyone is all that changed after seeing most of their loved ones killed and their planets destroyed. I'll be interested how it progresses. It's been so long that I don't remember much about it.

pacaway
07-11-14, 11:12 PM
For you doubters out there, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was great!

Gobear
07-11-14, 11:40 PM
I watched Special Bulletin, a TV docudrama whose plausibility scared the crap out of me when I saw it on its one and only broadcast on NBC. It fills the slot for "alternate history" because Charleston, SC, wasn't destroyed by a nuclear weapon during a live television broadcast in 1983.

mrcellophane
07-12-14, 12:05 AM
For you doubters out there, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was great!

I'm excited to see it and hope to go to the theater next week! Today, I bought the Tim Burton version in order to get the $8 toward a movie ticket, essentially making the film free!

LJG765
07-12-14, 01:27 AM
For the "worst movie ever" category, is this personal taste?

pacaway
07-12-14, 04:01 AM
I'm excited to see it and hope to go to the theater next week! Today, I bought the Tim Burton version in order to get the $8 toward a movie ticket, essentially making the film free!

We were excited too. Left work early to catch the 4:00pm show. I bought Platoon to get the same voucher but I didn't use it yet. I used reward points to get in for free and get D-Box seats! They cost about $24 here! I guess I'll have to go again now. Too bad... ;)

shadokitty
07-12-14, 01:27 PM
For the "worst movie ever" category, is this personal taste?

I'm lenient, so I say it can be personal taste. Would have replied earlier, but I don't know if the site was down, but I couldn't access DVD Talk all morning.

LJG765
07-12-14, 01:55 PM
I'm lenient, so I say it can be personal taste. Would have replied earlier, but I don't know if the site was down, but I couldn't access DVD Talk all morning.

It's all good, I just signed on now anyway. :)

Sounds good, thanks. Is there a list out there for future reference? I found the original post, but there wasn't a link to a worst movie site on it or anything.

shadokitty
07-12-14, 02:19 PM

Sounds good, thanks. Is there a list out there for future reference? I found the original post, but there wasn't a link to a worst movie site on it or anything.

I'll look.

BobO'Link
07-12-14, 04:41 PM

Here's a list generated with the IMDB Advance search (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=sci_fi&groups=bottom_250&title_type=feature) filtering for SF, Feature Film, and the IMDB Bottom 250. You can also filter by "user ratings" to get a specific range.

Here's one from Rotten Tomatoes with SF films having scores of 10-19% (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie/browser/?movietype=&genre=14&tomatometer=10s&avgrating=&numreviews=&mpaa=&decade=). You can reset filters on the search page.

And here's a "Greatest Box-Office Bombs, Disasters, and Flops" page from AMC (http://www.filmsite.org/greatestflops.html). It can't be sorted or filtered by genre so you just have to slog through...

Happy hunting! :)

LJG765
07-13-14, 01:36 AM
Here's a list generated with the IMDB Advance search (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?genres=sci_fi&groups=bottom_250&title_type=feature) filtering for SF, Feature Film, and the IMDB Bottom 250. You can also filter by "user ratings" to get a specific range.

Here's one from Rotten Tomatoes with SF films having scores of 10-19% (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie/browser/?movietype=&genre=14&tomatometer=10s&avgrating=&numreviews=&mpaa=&decade=). You can reset filters on the search page.

And here's a "Greatest Box-Office Bombs, Disasters, and Flops" page from AMC (http://www.filmsite.org/greatestflops.html). It can't be sorted or filtered by genre so you just have to slog through...

Happy hunting! :)

Thanks! Maybe these could be moved to the first post-that way next year, they're ready to go!

Ok, after looking at the sites, Rotten Tomatoes has lost all creditability with me. How can "Pagemaster" be on the worst movie list? Really? That was an awesome movie! Plus, a personal favorite of mine is "Ice Pirates" which is also on the list. So, double whammy there.

I just got finished watching "Starship Troopers." I'm not sure why I like this one, but I do. It has everything I dislike, yet I like it. Maybe it's the Rue McClanahan cameo that does it, I'm just not sure. (And if anyone needs some checklist marks, this movie counts for like 4 or 5 of them at least!)

Gobear
07-13-14, 01:55 AM
I just watched Gravity, and its visual effects are so amazing I somewhat regret not seeing it in the theater, but the last film I saw George Clooney play an astronaut was the dreadful remake of Solaris, so that was enough to keep me away. Apart from the visuals, the story is weak and Sandra Bullock's soliloquies are cringingly bad, so I feel better about skipping the theatrical release.

pacaway
07-13-14, 03:50 AM
I ended up using my last wildcard today because assumed that Kick-Ass was a superhero movie. I guess technically it was but there were no real superpowers in it and therefore no real Sci-Fi elements. Has anyone else ever had that experience where you just assume a movie is Sci-Fi or fantasy but it turns out not too be? Maybe we should have a "beware of" list.

lisadoris
07-13-14, 06:48 AM
Watched G.I. Joe: Retaliation last night. I thought the first film was just bad but I figured I'd give the franchise another chance. The second film was just boring. Oh well, there's always more episodes of The X-Files.

BobO'Link
07-13-14, 08:19 AM
Ok, after looking at the sites, Rotten Tomatoes has lost all creditability with me. How can "Pagemaster" be on the worst movie list? Really? That was an awesome movie! Plus, a personal favorite of mine is "Ice Pirates" which is also on the list. So, double whammy there.
I pretty much stopped using/trusting them long ago. I tend to use the reviews here on DVDTalk, the Roger Ebert Archives (Ebert reveiws only - I'm not ready to trusy the crop of wannabe's currently on his site), and DVD Drive-In.

On that Rotten Tomatoes search engine you'll not find Catwoman on the list (the one I used for "worst movie ever") even though it only got a 9 on the Tomatometer. Curious... It makes me less trusting of them (or at least their site programmers) as I'm sure there are others missing as well.
I just got finished watching "Starship Troopers." I'm not sure why I like this one, but I do. It has everything I dislike, yet I like it. Maybe it's the Rue McClanahan cameo that does it, I'm just not sure. (And if anyone needs some checklist marks, this movie counts for like 4 or 5 of them at least!)
Yeah... it's fairly serviceable. My biggest problem is I've read the novella on which I thought it was based several times. I found out the title/book was optioned well into script development so they simply overlayed *some* of the book onto the script. All it truly has in common is the title, character names, a *few* isolated incidences, and the general premis of fighting giant bugs. Reportedly, on the commentary it's indicated Verhoeven only read the first few chapters and became both "bored and depressed." It shows in the film. Still, it's a good popcorn type film. I must like it some as I own it and the sequels. :D

BobO'Link
07-13-14, 08:58 AM
I ended up using my last wildcard today because assumed that Kick-Ass was a superhero movie. I guess technically it was but there were no real superpowers in it and therefore no real Sci-Fi elements.
Thanks for the warning! I had Kick-Ass in the queue because of thinking of it as a comic book based super-hero movie.
Has anyone else ever had that experience where you just assume a movie is Sci-Fi or fantasy but it turns out not too be? Maybe we should have a "beware of" list.
Yes - on the first movie I watched for this challenge this year, LEGO: The Adventures of Clutch Powers. I watched it with the grandkids and just assumed it had a SF and/or Fantasy genre tag attached because of many of the fantastical portions of the film. When I looked it up on IMDB I found it's "Animation/Action/Adventure/Family." It's a wildcard.

I also thought I'd get to count Despicable Me 2 based on the fantastical goings on. It's my 3 year old granddaughter's current favorite film - "Can we watch 'Be-doe' paw?" - if you've seen it you know that scene: "be-doe, be-doe, be-doe..." IMDB says it is "Animation/Comedy/Family" - really? It's full of SF super-spy type devices and there's a "Mad Scientist" type character. I may wildcard it, too, since I've seen it several times already this month and I'm sure there'll be more viewings...

shadokitty
07-13-14, 12:08 PM
While I'm not in the mood to watch much sci-fi lately, letting folks know, I still check the thread. Later tonight I'll add the links to the worst movies to the first post.

shadokitty
07-13-14, 03:18 PM
Gonna watch at least some sci-fi tonight. Don't have anything in particular on tap. Just gonna wing it, and watch whatever strikes my fancy at the time. Some times I think that's the best way to do it.

ntnon
07-13-14, 03:53 PM
Watching the live Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I was amused by the closing credits song "T.U.R.T.L.E. Power" and by it's passing-inclusivity of the entire plot...!

It got me thinking about other songs that delve deeply into the actual plot of the film: Queen's "Flash" contains snippets of dialogue that roughly go over the plot of Flash Gordon; Will Smith's "Men in Black" is (by memory) more of a vague overview of what the MIB are and do than a summary of the film, and the Ghostbusters song by Ray Parker Jr. is also more of a rough description of what they do than how the film goes.

Any other songs that do this...? :)

ntnon
07-13-14, 04:12 PM
I hadn't planned on revisiting the [PotA] series, but it may be time with the new film hitting theaters. The sequels are definitely not up to par with the original, but they're still a lot of fun!
I enjoyed them. I had the same problem as LG765 mentions upthread with the original - I'd seen enough of it before, and knew the main twist, to be unsurprised and relatively unmoved by the ending... but the journey and the turns were still interesting. The fairly-obvious idea that people in positions of power might lie and cover-up the past to 'protect' people is both very-1984 and arguably very wise.

Similarly, the Earth reaction to the apes in #3 - and the temporal paradoxes involved in the justification - were sadly all too real. Again, the ending was obvious enough that it wasn't surprising, but it was still good. If bleak. I don't understand why what appeared in PotA to just be the passage of time suddenly became a reversible timewarp, but... there was a plot justification, so I didn't mind!

The first sequel, with it's "for some reason, exactly the same thing happens again" basic plot was... very odd. The unmentioned and unexplained underground survivors (two thousand-odd years... undiscovered, unevolved, not all dead from radiation poisoning?) were very weird.

Elements of the Apes movies may actually come halfway close to what I was going to ask about: watching Defiance and Falling Skies, and thinking about all the hundreds of shows and films with their "plucky Earth resistance groups facing up to the evil invading menace of Aliens," I wonder: are there films that show this the other way around..? i.e. A justified agressor, appalled by [humanity's] callous disregard for weapons and willingness to kill their own kind, trying to quash resistance as benignly as possible, because the "resistance" are "terrorists" keen to keep the status-quo of a violent and bad race..?

Starship Troopers is pro-military and pro-invasion, I think, so it comes close. And Apes certainly delve into the "humanity is awful and deserves to be replaced" angle, but are their others? Films that suggest aliens might be right to want to subjugate earth because of the atrocities and mindset displayed by people in charge...?

Gobear
07-13-14, 05:14 PM
Starship Troopers is pro-military and pro-invasion, I think, so it comes close.

Heinlein's novel is emphatically pro-military, but the film is not. It stands the book's themes on their heads and shows the ugliness of jingoism and shoot-first-and-ask-no-questions military policy. It would have had more bite if it had been released post-Iraq than in the relatively peaceful Clinton years.

mrcellophane
07-14-14, 12:03 AM
Yesterday was my birthday, and I spent all day celebrating with my family. We went to see a production of The Little Mermaid: The Musical, and it was delightful. Today, I was able to watch part of Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe which returns our heroes to Mongo to thwart Ming's plans for universal domination. In an odd production choice, Prince Barin and his kingdom seem to be based on Robin Hood, complete with tights and feathered caps. I'm planning to finish it up tomorrow and perhaps watch the 80s film.

shadokitty
07-14-14, 01:22 AM
Yesterday was my birthday, and I spent all day celebrating with my family. We went to see a production of The Little Mermaid: The Musical, and it was delightful. Today, I was able to watch part of Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe which returns our heroes to Mongo to thwart Ming's plans for universal domination. In an odd production choice, Prince Barin and his kingdom seem to be based on Robin Hood, complete with tights and feathered caps. I'm planning to finish it up tomorrow and perhaps watch the 80s film.

Happy belated birthday. I hope you had a good one.

Decided to start watching Doctor Who on Netflix. I'd never seen many of the older episodes. In fact I was surprised that on season 1, not only are the episodes black and white, but they are only half an hour long.

BobO'Link
07-14-14, 10:09 AM
Happy belated birthday!

I've often wondered if those odd costume choices were simply made based on what was already available from the costume dept. "Conquers the Universe" had the smallest budget of the three Flash Gordon serials which makes that a distinct possibility.

mrcellophane
07-14-14, 10:53 AM
Happy belated birthday. I hope you had a good one.

Thanks! I had an amazing day!

Happy belated birthday!

I've often wondered if those odd costume choices were simply made based on what was already available from the costume dept. "Conquers the Universe" had the smallest budget of the three Flash Gordon serials which makes that a distinct possibility.

Thanks! Yeah, I had the same thought. Along with the odd costumes, there is a lot of stock footage sprinkled throughout the series, including some from the first serial. I went ahead and stayed up way too late to finish up and enjoyed it a lot.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
07-14-14, 10:56 AM
Light Blast is easily my best surprise blind buy in a long time. It was nice to see something made with so many practical special effects. With no slow start, it begins with how the rest of the movie will go, [spoiler]with people melting[/quote]. Starring Erik Estrada, a death ray, car chases/crashes, an 80s montage featuring talking instead of the usual action scenes you get with other montages, this film is special indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqoOT7tXHp4

BobO'Link
07-14-14, 03:21 PM
I finished S2 of Deep Space 9 Saturday and decided to watch the Theatrical version of Star Trek: The Motion Picture I finally purchased. I *really* enjoyed it and think it's possibly a better version than the "Extended" version. I also liked the original graphic effects. I really need to watch it and the Extended back-to-back sometime to see if that impression is true or if I was just ready to see the film again. I also purchased the Theatrical version of Wrath of Khan - I'll probably watch that one sometime before the challenge is done.

BUT... after that I moved on to S3 of Deep Space 9. I'd purchased a "Very Good" used copy from Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon) and since it came shrink wrapped I didn't bother to open and inspect it thinking it might be "new" after all. Bad move... it *was* used and is missing disc 7! I almost kept it as that's only 2 episodes but knew I'd be bothered by that until I got a replacement disc/set. I contacted Amazon CS and even though it was a week or so outside the return window they are taking it back so my gorging on DS9 is out for now. :(

What to watch... I hit on a 8-Movie Action & Sci-Fi Pack (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085Z3BYE/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=) I picked up *very* cheaply a few months back to get copies of a few of the films on the set. I started with Fortress and discovered I'd seen the film some time back. It's pretty good, cheesy, fun with lots of implausible happenings. The best part is "The Intestinator" device. I recall when I first saw the film wondering just *what* keeps the prisoners from passing the thing since it's basically shoved down their throat. Somehow it stays in the stomach and provides "punishment" when they get out of line. It's also somewhat extreme as our main protagonist and his wife are thrown into prison for her becoming pregnant the *second* time and attempting to escape the US into Mexico. Surprisingly the copy on this set is anamorphic WS when all the prior releases were FS!

I fell asleep on Total Recall 2070: Machine Dreams. It opens with some incredibly laughable and superbly lame dialog. It's FS and I believe was made for TV. Probably a cable channel as there *is* nudity in the opening segment. I'll give it another go this evening unless I opt for one of the other 2 films on that disc (yeah... 4 films per disc).

ntnon
07-14-14, 03:42 PM

Hmm. I would have thought it's surely some kind of apocalyptic fantasy-esque something... and wasn't it on SyFy?

ntnon
07-14-14, 03:58 PM
I ended up using my last wildcard today because assumed that Kick-Ass was a superhero movie. I guess technically it was but there were no real superpowers in it and therefore no real Sci-Fi elements.
It's at least three-quarters the way to fantasy, though, isn't it..? It's like Batman or The Bionic Woman or even Starship Troopers where it's all essentially just extrapolated-reality... which thus makes it fantasy. V for Vendetta could happen; it's still fantasy. Even something like RoboCop seems close enough to reality that it's possible...

BobO'Link
07-14-14, 04:06 PM
... and wasn't it on SyFy?
So is Wrestling... :D

BobO'Link
07-14-14, 04:07 PM
LJG765 - I *just* noticed the graphic on your list! :lol:

LJG765
07-14-14, 06:57 PM
Yesterday was my birthday, and I spent all day celebrating with my family.

Happy belated birthday!

LJG765 - I *just* noticed the graphic on your list! :lol:

:) I admit to just getting it on there not too long ago. I've been looking for something for awhile and finally just made my own. :) I was trying for more of an action shot, but it was harder to tell what the toys were.

Okay, two questions. Is "Warm Bodies" sci-fi/fantasy? It's about zombies, so I think it would be covered but IMDb considers it comedy, horror, romance. I suppose I could use it as a wild card...

2. Would "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" qualify for the martial arts fantasy checkmark? It's not quite what I imagine, but having just watched it, I kind of feel like there is enough to make a case for it.

pacaway
07-14-14, 07:51 PM
Okay, two questions. Is "Warm Bodies" sci-fi/fantasy? It's about zombies, so I think it would be covered but IMDb considers it comedy, horror, romance. I suppose I could use it as a wild card...

zombies are definitely fantasy, no matter what IMDB or allmovie.com say. do NOT waste a wildcard on that! IMHO

shadokitty
07-14-14, 08:13 PM
Happy belated birthday!

:) I admit to just getting it on there not too long ago. I've been looking for something for awhile and finally just made my own. :) I was trying for more of an action shot, but it was harder to tell what the toys were.

2. Would "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" qualify for the martial arts fantasy checkmark? It's not quite what I imagine, but having just watched it, I kind of feel like there is enough to make a case for it.

The Resident Evil movies are about zombies, and according to IMDb, they count, so I say you can count it without a wild card.

2. Never seen it, but if you think there is enough to make a case, go ahead and count it.

davidh777
07-14-14, 08:19 PM
zombies are definitely fantasy, no matter what IMDB or allmovie.com say. do NOT waste a wildcard on that! IMHO

Especially zombies nailing hot chicks.

shadokitty
07-14-14, 08:38 PM
Just finished the first season of the original series of Doctor Who. I enjoyed it, but was somewhat surprised to see, it wasn't just the first season that was so short. Every season of the original series is only 4-6 episodes long and one story arc.

Giles
07-14-14, 08:38 PM
wow - FX's The Strain is insane - can't wait to see more as the story unfolds!

Giles
07-14-14, 08:39 PM
Just finished the first season of the original series of Doctor Who. I enjoyed it, but was somewhat surprised to see, it wasn't just the first season that was so short. Every season of the original series is only 4-6 episodes long and one story arc.

which is a good thing in my book.

BobO'Link
07-14-14, 08:44 PM
Whew! I just finished Total Recall 2070: Machine Dreams (1999). It's the first 2 episodes of a single season series edited into a TV movie. Before I go any further I should qualify that I do *not* care for "police procedural" type shows - never have. That said, that's pretty much what this is just with SF trappings. It kind of blends Blade Runner with Total Recall to make a fairly pedestrian made-for-(Canadian)TV outing. It's full of horrible, and frequently juvenile sounding, dialog and sub-par acting. I read that Showtime picked it up in the US before it went into syndication. They must have been hurting for content as this would be right at home on SyFy. At least I get a couple of checklist items for the time spent...

LJG765
07-14-14, 09:02 PM
The Resident Evil movies are about zombies, and according to IMDb, they count, so I say you can count it without a wild card.

2. Never seen it, but if you think there is enough to make a case, go ahead and count it.

Thanks! Just finished watching "Warm Bodies" and I can say it should definitely count. Zombies abound. It was a lot better than I thought it would be, so I'm glad I went ahead and watched it.

As for the "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" I'm on the edge about it. It's not like it's straight out martial arts, but he does get pretty wicked twirling about with his axe and coat. There's a lot of slow mo action shots, as well. I'll probably hold off on counting it unless someone else chimes in. I'm really on the fence about it myself.

Gobear
07-14-14, 10:45 PM
I'm thinking about using The Swimmer as a wild card. It's clearly not sci-fi, but it definitely has elements of fantasy, especially at the film's conclusion. BTW, the Grindhouse Blu-Ray is gorgeous!

pacaway
07-15-14, 04:03 AM
If I had any wildcards left, I'd use one for Black Swan, which no site calls fantasy. Allmovie came closest calling it a "supernatural-flavored psychological thriller" in their synopsis.

ororama
07-15-14, 08:07 AM

I think that pacaway's point is that allmovie.com lists Romantic Fantasy as a sub-genre for Warm Bodies. See first post of this thread regarding allmovie.com as an arbiter.

I don't think of zombies as fantasy. Resident Evil is sci-fi because the zombies are changed by a virus, which is a common element in many zombie movies and TV shows (The Walking Dead, Channel 4's Ultraviolet, which I just started watching last night), but not all (George Romero's zombie movies offer no real explanation, White Zombie and Zombies of Mora Tau offer the traditional voudon explanation).

I think that the unusual relationship between a living person and a dead person, rather than the zombie element per se, results in the classification of Warm Bodies as Romantic Fantasy (like Pushing Daisies).

Although I see imdb classifies Zombies of Mora Tau as fantasy, so it appears that either imdb or I am wrong (since they classify White Zombie soley as horror, it appears that they are wrong, or at least consistently inconsistent).

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
07-15-14, 10:23 AM
As for the "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" I'm on the edge about it. It's not like it's straight out martial arts, but he does get pretty wicked twirling about with his axe and coat. There's a lot of slow mo action shots, as well. I'll probably hold off on counting it unless someone else chimes in. I'm really on the fence about it myself.

When I watched it, martial arts never crossed my mind.

shadokitty
07-15-14, 10:35 AM
After reading about your banner LJG, I was curious enough to look myself. It's adorable. I love cats.

shadokitty
07-15-14, 10:42 AM
After skimming the lists, I see Chad and Trevor have yet to list anything. Just a reminder that you need at least one entry to qualify for a prize. If you two plan to list anything, you have two weeks left.

BobO'Link
07-15-14, 12:24 PM
Continuing on with that 8 movie "action pack" set...

Cypher (2002) wasn't half bad. It's more talk and mystery than action/fx which is somewhat a nice change of pace. It's more cyber security/super spy stuff with a bit of Matrix type confusions thrown in for good measure. It was better than I'd thought it was going to be and will receive another viewing at some point.

I woke up early this morning and decided to watch another film rather than attempt ~90 minutes of catnaps waiting for the alarm. I should have gone for the catnaps as I watched Convict 762 (1997), the last film on that disc. I thought Total Recall 2070 was lame but this one almost makes it look like high art. It's one of those "trapped in a haunted house" type films - yeah... like Alien but with *none* of the good stuff. Here's the synopsis from IMDB (I'm not going to spoilerize it because you *need* to know...):
A spaceship with an all female crew runs into a meteor field because of a navigational mistake. They lose a lot of their fuel and realise they cant get home on what they've got. They are forced to land on a planet which has been reformed into one of the most dangerous penal colonies in the universe in order to refuel. Once there they realise only two men are left on the planet and they are engaged in hand to hand combat. The women cant figure out which one of the men is the officer and which one has systematically slaughtered the rest of the inmates. One by one each of the women is killed. Just who is Convict 762?
It spends the *entire* movie using all the standard tropes for this type film with the women doing all the stupid things people in these films do. No one can decide *who* is Convict 762 and by the end of the film you no longer care as there are several times the computer decides differently which of the men is the killer. Yeah... it's as bad as it sounds.

So... that's 2 watchable films and 2 turkeys. It's still worth the $4 I paid - especially if any of the other 4 are worthwhile.

shadokitty
07-15-14, 12:37 PM
I just watched Earth vs. the Flying Saucers. Good movie, but then I like any Harryhausen film. Just have It Came From Beneath the Sea and the set will finally be watched.

LJG765
07-15-14, 03:26 PM
After reading about your banner LJG, I was curious enough to look myself. It's adorable. I love cats.

:) Thanks. I think eventually I'll have one of Crash for every challenge. I'm a fan of cats myself and since I have one...well, I made a "deal" with him. I rescue him from the shelter-he puts up with me decorating him occasionally. It's worked so far. ;)

I just watched Earth vs. the Flying Saucers. Good movie, but then I like any Harryhausen film. Just have It Came From Beneath the Sea and the set will finally be watched.

I enjoyed that whole set (if it's the one I'm thinking of) of Harryhausen. I'm glad I picked it up when I saw it at Big Lots. I watched all 3 this month and I'd say the "20 Millions Miles to Earth" was my favorite.

Had a surprise entry late last night/early this morning. Couldn't sleep, so was channel surfing. Stumbled across "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" with Steve Carell in it. Started watching it just for something to watch and ended up really, really enjoying it. It's not all action or anything exciting, but it is well done and you really get sucked into it. Until I looked it up, I didn't think it qualified, but it is listed with a sci-fi subplot, so it counts this month. I'm actually DVR'ing it so that I can watch again.

BobO'Link
07-15-14, 04:21 PM
I enjoyed that whole set (if it's the one I'm thinking of) of Harryhausen. I'm glad I picked it up when I saw it at Big Lots. I watched all 3 this month and I'd say the "20 Millions Miles to Earth" was my favorite.
That's a very good set with a nice booklet! In spite of owning that 3 film set I like the films so much I actually purchased the 2 disc BW/Colorized versions of 20 Million... and It Came from Beneath... from BL sometime back when they had them for $3 each just to see if the colorization was any good. It's actually not too bad, but I still prefer the BW versions.

Our good sponsor (and frequent participant), Hamilton Books, has the 3 film box set that comes with the Ymir figure for $19.95 + shipping. I'm leaning hard on getting it for no other reason than to have all three films in the colorized versions BUT more importantly to get that cool figurine! :D

wayoutjunk
07-15-14, 08:11 PM
I (sporadically) write reviews for a website, and got a review copy of Mystery Science Theater 3000: Vol. XXX. Thankfully, three out of the four movies are eligible for this challenge (The Black Scorpion, Outlaw (of Gor), and The Projected Man). I've watched the first two, and forgotten just how much I enjoyed the cheesiness of Outlaw.

Speaking of cheesiness, I found Beware! The Blob on YouTube, and that's almost painfully bad. It was directed by Larry Hagman, and parts of it are very obviously improvised (and not in a good way).

Another YouTube find was a silent movie version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea from 1916. The highlight here was the underwater photography, which (while a bit murky to modern eyes) was quite revolutionary for its time. It makes me want to compare it to the Disney version, which I found at the library and will be watching soon.

Next I watched all 4 movies in the Tremors series. I've seen the first one many times, so I knew it was good. The second one was all right, and the third one wasn't that great. The fourth one was set in 1889 and was about the first sighting of the graboids, and I liked that one quite a bit.

Finally, I did a double feature of Man of Steel and Pacific Rim. Man of Steel was about as dark and depressing as I was expecting, despite the fact that I thought Henry Cavill was pretty good as Superman. Plus I'm another person that didn't like the way Superman dispatched Zod. It seemed too out of character to me. Unless they lighten up Supes a bit in the next movie, I don't see how adding Batman to the mix is really going to help much. I did find Pacific Rim to be a lot of fun, though. I regret not seeing that one on a big screen. I think I would have liked it even more.

Dimension X
07-15-14, 09:39 PM
After skimming the lists, I see Chad and Trevor have yet to list anything. Just a reminder that you need at least one entry to qualify for a prize. If you two plan to list anything, you have two weeks left.
Those two are notorious for reserving spots and not listing anything.:) (Cronenbergfan71 and HyperWeather also have nothing listed yet.)

I would've had nothing listed yet either, but I finally watched something yesterday. I just haven't been in much of a TV watching mood recently, so most of what I have watched was either mindless stuff like Pawn Stars or Storage Wars, or movies or TV shows that I've seen so many times before that I didn't really have to pay attention to what was going on. On top of that, my internet was out for a couple days because of a lightning strike or something, which also killed my wireless router and my old Blu-ray player. Then my Direct TV went out. And around the same time, my new Blu-ray player decided it didn't want to send pictures down the HDMI cable anymore (I'm waiting to hear if the manufacturer will honor the warranty, since I've only had it for a few months).

I bought a cheap Blu-ray player to replace the dead one and used it to watch some stuff. I still need to test Netflix streaming on it, so I should be watching something that counts tonight or early tomorrow.

ororama
07-16-14, 01:09 AM
Resident Evil is sci-fi because the zombies are changed by a virus, which is a common element in many zombie movies and TV shows (The Walking Dead, Channel 4's Ultraviolet, which I just started watching last night),

Of course, Ultraviolet is a vampire series, not a zombie series, but my point about the virus was more or less correct (I don't think they have identified the infection as a virus).

We watched a couple more episodes tonight, and I highly recommend it.

LJG765
07-16-14, 02:23 AM
Finally, I did a double feature of Man of Steel and Pacific Rim. Man of Steel was about as dark and depressing as I was expecting, despite the fact that I thought Henry Cavill was pretty good as Superman. Plus I'm another person that didn't like the way Superman dispatched Zod. It seemed too out of character to me. Unless they lighten up Supes a bit in the next movie, I don't see how adding Batman to the mix is really going to help much. I did find Pacific Rim to be a lot of fun, though. I regret not seeing that one on a big screen. I think I would have liked it even more.

I forgot I had planned to watch "Pacific Rim" this challenge, so I'm glad you mentioned this. I also have "Man of Steel" and I should add that to my list. Just picked up a couple movies from the library that I need to get to first. Nothing too exciting, though. Took today off, needed to clear some of the shows of my DVR that have been filling it up.

lisadoris
07-16-14, 06:53 AM
I hit a bit of a brick wall with The X-Files. I've gotten to that point where I really want to finish the series but I also really want to be watching something else. It doesn't help that season 8 wasn't exactly the high point for the show.

shadokitty
07-16-14, 07:45 AM
I forgot I had planned to watch "Pacific Rim" this challenge, so I'm glad you mentioned this. I also have "Man of Steel" and I should add that to my list. Just picked up a couple movies from the library that I need to get to first. Nothing too exciting, though. Took today off, needed to clear some of the shows of my DVR that have been filling it up.

You'll enjoy Pacific Rim. I own it. Plan to watch it some time this month myself.

BobO'Link
07-16-14, 10:17 AM
During the theatrical release I basically dismissed Pacific Rim as it looked pretty much like a "Transformers clone" and my thinking was it would be absolute crap. Then I read and hear all these good reviews which piques my interest. THEN *you* guys talk it up! Looks like I'm going to have to pick up a copy to see for myself!

shadokitty
07-16-14, 11:05 AM
I would've had nothing listed yet either, but I finally watched something yesterday. I just haven't been in much of a TV watching mood recently, so most of what I have watched was either mindless stuff like Pawn Stars or Storage Wars, or movies or TV shows that I've seen so many times before that I didn't really have to pay attention to what was going on. On top of that, my internet was out for a couple days because of a lightning strike or something, which also killed my wireless router and my old Blu-ray player. Then my Direct TV went out. And around the same time, my new Blu-ray player decided it didn't want to send pictures down the HDMI cable anymore (I'm waiting to hear if the manufacturer will honor the warranty, since I've only had it for a few months).

I'm wondering if my Blu-Ray player is on the way out, as the other night, I could hear the disc inside. I know what you mean. Lately, I've just been watching what I want, and not worrying about the challenge.

BobO'Link
07-16-14, 03:04 PM
I opted to continue that mini-box set last night and watched:

Equilibrium (2002) - I think I'd have liked this one better had I not been constantly thinking it was pretty much a update of Fahrenheit 451 with a bit of The Matrix (1999) and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) style acrobatics/fighting thrown in for good measure. There was even a very quick shot of someone who looks remarkably like Oskar Werner, the fireman in Fahrenheit 451. The basic premis is pretty much the same. To eliminate war, emotions are suppressed and controlled by drugs you must take daily. There are people who do *not* do this and collect "entertainments" (Art, Music, Books, Pets, etc.), many of whom have hidden rooms to house and enjoy these items. The penalty is destruction of your entertainments, typically by burning, and death. The Clerics and Firemen are responsible for carrying out the sentence and destruction. The action was quite good and the "Gun-Kata", martial arts with gunplay, scenes are amazing.

After that was a repeat viewing of Impostor (2001). Looking at my rating from last year shows I didn't care for it as much on the second viewing. That could have simply been due to my being a bit tired and dozing off several times forcing a backup/restart of sections. I still enjoyed it, just not as much as I indicated last year. I recently read this film was originally a shorter segment of a 3 part film. It and Mimic were expanded to feature length after the 30 minute versions had been created (the third part was abandoned). It's possible those added parts are what caused me to doze off and are the root cause for my lower rating.

So far I've pretty much stuck with the unopened piles only getting checklist stuff by happenstance. I'm really tempted to pull more deliberately from the unwatched material to get a few checklist items done this evening. I have enough of them that I'm starting to feel that compulsion to complete the list.

pacaway
07-16-14, 03:33 PM
During the theatrical release I basically dismissed Pacific Rim as it looked pretty much like a "Transformers clone" and my thinking was it would be absolute crap. Then I read and hear all these good reviews which piques my interest. THEN *you* guys talk it up! Looks like I'm going to have to pick up a copy to see for myself!

It was quite awesome in IMAX 3D, I gotta say! :)

pacaway
07-16-14, 03:36 PM
I think I'm done with Under the Dome. Anyone else feel the same way? I just power marathoned the last 4 episodes of season 1 that I hadn't seen yet and then the first 3 of season 2. It seems like they're just pulling stuff out of their rear ends now for a 'calamity-of-the-week' type series. I really don't care anymore. It seems so contrived now. Maybe I just shouldn't have power-marathoned 7 episodes.

Giles
07-17-14, 12:11 AM
couldn't wait til next month's Animation challenge - watched Spirited Away (bluray) tonight. I've seen the movie quite a few times and yet I still winced when Chihiro breaks the wood stair as she's trying to walk down them gingerly.

wayoutjunk
07-17-14, 01:00 AM
I think I need a clarification. What does "animalcadabra" mean on the checklist?

shadokitty
07-17-14, 01:25 AM
I think I need a clarification. What does "animalcadabra" mean on the checklist?

I didn't make up the term, but I believe magic having to do with animals.

Gobear
07-17-14, 08:18 AM
I didn't make up the term, but I believe magic having to do with animals.

I suggested the term just as a new category to liven things up, and it includes any film where an animal plays a pivotal role. For example,

Babe, (talking animals)
Charlotte's Web (ditto)
Tarantula
Them
It Came from Beneath the Sea

mrcellophane
07-17-14, 10:22 AM
:) Thanks. I think eventually I'll have one of Crash for every challenge. I'm a fan of cats myself and since I have one...well, I made a "deal" with him. I rescue him from the shelter-he puts up with me decorating him occasionally. It's worked so far. ;)

Yeah, I tried to dress up my cats a couple of times, but it never worked. When Lillian goes to the groomers, they put her a bandanna around her neck which usually lasts a few hours. I did once put a scarf on her and dubbed her hipster cat.

Yesterday, I revisited an old favorite, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. When I was a kid, my grandparents had the Disney channel, and we would always bring an armful of tapes to fill up with movies and shows. This film was one that stuck around for years and got watched over and over. I think it holds up pretty well, and it's still exciting to see these kids survive in a jungle that's right outside their house. Also, I'm not to proud to admit that I still got teary when the ant died.

I also watched a few episodes of The Adventures of Superman before bed. That is one charming show, and the cast has great chemistry. I'm always amused at how mean everyone at the Daily Planet is to poor Clark Kent. At one point in "Jet Ace", Clark feigns hysteria in order to dash from the room, transform into Superman, and save the day. When he gets back, Perry White immediately berates him, fuming that Clark is unreliable in a situation where Clark's actions wouldn't have made any difference. It's great!

walletboyniac
07-17-14, 11:49 AM
I (sporadically) write reviews for a website, and got a review copy of Mystery Science Theater 3000: Vol. XXX. Thankfully, three out of the four movies are eligible for this challenge (The Black Scorpion, Outlaw (of Gor), and The Projected Man). I've watched the first two, and forgotten just how much I enjoyed the cheesiness of Outlaw.

I would say that all the movies in the set qualify because MST3K itself is Sci-Fi.

MrTerrific
07-17-14, 01:03 PM
The Warriors

Not listed as sci-fi on IMDB, but has to be close. Should I use a Wildcard?

shadokitty
07-17-14, 02:05 PM
The Warriors

Not listed as sci-fi on IMDB, but has to be close. Should I use a Wildcard?

I'm not familiar with the movie. What does someone who's seen it say?

I ordered a used copy of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad today with the remaining funds on a $25 gift card. Looking forward to adding a new Harryhausen picture to my collection. And if it doesn't come this month, I can always watch it next month.

walletboyniac
07-17-14, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I tried to dress up my cats a couple of times, but it never worked. When Lillian goes to the groomers, they put her a bandanna around her neck which usually lasts a few hours. I did once put a scarf on her and dubbed her hipster cat.

Ramona would not put up with any outfits, either. She's far too surly, as can be seen in her picture. Her favorite movie is Mutant Girls Squad.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0