DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Mid Range Speakers?

Old 04-14-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Mid Range Speakers?

So my new project is to transform my upstairs bedroom into a projector theater. Looking to not go cheap on speakers but nothing too overpriced. Need a good mid range priced one. Looking at $500. Any recommendations?
Old 04-14-14, 05:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mid Range Speakers?

I've read that the recent Pioneer speakers are outstanding in that price range.
Old 04-14-14, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm happy with my Infinity Primus speakers. I have two PC-363 towers ($107 each on sale at Frys), a PC351 center ($200 at crutchfield) and two P163s ($75 each via Crutchfield). Total: roughly $550 at sale prices. If you want to keep it under $500 you could nix the rear surrounds, or use the 163s as your fronts, substitutes the PC251 for the center, and use the 143 or 153s for satellites. The towers are likely overkill in a bedroom.

That, of course, doesn't include a subwoofer. I'm using a Bic F12, which can be found on Amazon for less than $200. Like the towers, this would be overkill in a bedroom. This sub can shake my my whole 2500-sq-ft house.
Old 04-14-14, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
I've read that the recent Pioneer speakers are outstanding in that price range.
Awesome. Just added them on Amazon. Went a little over my budget but nothing shockingly bad.
Old 04-14-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing about the the floor speakers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...PDKIKX0DER#Ask

"Ships 1-2 months". That's a weird statement coming from Amazon. They're usually quick with orders. If it's that long a wait might as well just go to best buy.
Old 04-14-14, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like they have been discontinued. Looks like you can find dealers on Pioneers website too, plus they are in stock on their website. Again, I haven't heard them, just read some impressive reviews.

You may be able to get BB to lower the price enough to cover the tax too.
Old 04-25-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion is to spend at least double that amount. Speaker technology doesnt change and you can use them for a long time, even if you upgrade other theater components like the AV receiver or the projector. The bare minimum sub that will give you some decent low range effects will cost you about $350.

I like the Acoustech PL-89II setup, it will run you about $1200 for the full 5.1 setup. I have had the version I system in my home for about 12 years and its been great.
http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=1539&sc=27

Look at Home theater direct, you can put together a level II system for similiar money.
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers

Another option would to buy portions of the system like just the front speakers or fronts +sub and buy the rest later. Good quality front speakers will still blow away most any 5.1 setup in the $500 price range.
Old 04-25-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by cseyer
My suggestion is to spend at least double that amount. Speaker technology doesnt change and you can use them for a long time, even if you upgrade other theater components like the AV receiver or the projector. The bare minimum sub that will give you some decent low range effects will cost you about $350.
It's nice of you to try spending his money for him.

You can find entry-level speakers that sound nearly as good as more expensive setups. You just have to search a little harder and be wary of crap.
Old 04-25-14, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cseyer
The bare minimum sub that will give you some decent low range effects will cost you about $350.
This is far from true. The very first sub I ever purchased was a Sony 12" 120w for less than $200 at Best Buy (forget the model number) almost 15 yrs ago. Performed excellent until it started giving me issues. I now use a Dayton Audio SUB-1200 which also sounds great and was also under $200.
Old 04-25-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276
This is far from true. The very first sub I ever purchased was a Sony 12" 120w for less than $200 at Best Buy (forget the model number) almost 15 yrs ago. Performed excellent until it started giving me issues. I now use a Dayton Audio SUB-1200 which also sounds great and was also under $200.
You guys aren't talking about the same thing.
Old 04-25-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

On the point of spending more - I'd look near double the budget, but check local dealers for floor models and craigslist. Also, using that same approach, I'd look at a good bookshelf speaker. You won't get low bass, but it will like sound more detailed than a comparable floor standing.
Old 04-25-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JZ1276

I also have a Dayton audio sub. 10" down firing that was highly praised several years back. It's performance is no comparison to the acoustech sub. It's also ugly so it stays hidden in the bedroom.

Perhaps the newer vintage are better, they definitely look better in the pictures. I can only say I dont think much of my Dayton audio setup in comparison to my main theater setup, I did an A/B comparison and there was no comparing them.
Old 04-26-14, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I fixed my speaker problem. It was a loose wire that was messing up. Back to normal all 8 still work great