Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray/wi-fi question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Blu-ray/wi-fi question

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-14, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Blu-ray/wi-fi question

I have the Sony BDP-S790 player. The $200 one. Hooked up to home Wi-Fi.
A friend recently purchased a new 70in. tv and his first Blu-ray player, the less expensive $79 Sony model. He had the tv delivered, mounted and everything set up by the store he purchased it from.
I go over to his house to check out his new setup. The home menu of both players seemed to be the same except:
1. His home menu displays the cover art of the BD/DVD in the player, mine does not. Wondering why my player does not receive this info. I just get the generic icon of the player.
2. His player's home menu has HP icon for his HP desktop and he can access audio/video files from the HD of his desktop with the Blu-ray player. My player doesn't know my desktop exists.
Curious why this is and if I have the player set up correctly.

Edit to add: Checking manual. Have to enable DNLA of computer. Mine doesn't have it. Disregard question.
It appears the cover images has something to do with gracenote, which either is not enable or not working. Manual doesn't go into this beyond showing the logo, stating it's a trademark, and that I agree the end user license agreement.

Last edited by rw2516; 04-06-14 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-08-14, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Blu-ray/wi-fi question

Gracenote is a thing that IDs what disc you're playing.

DLNA (or whatever it is) is confusing- my TV can do it, but I've only gotten it to work once.
Old 04-09-14, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Blu-ray/wi-fi question

Just to expand on the DLNA question. It requires several things to work, two devices that have DLNA capability on the same network. Windows Vista and newer have built in DLNA capability, you have to setup the shared folders for the media. Also the media that you share has to be in a non copy righted format that your player can decode. Simple test is to try to share an MP3 file, video can be a little trickier. If you dont have windows vista or newer (you should by now) you can always install DLNA capable media apps.

Gracenote is sometimes a bit funky and not all discs will work correctly. Also you should try to update the bluray players software, sometimes that helps as well.