Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SyFy picks up Metal Hurlant Chronicles -- S: Adkins, White, Flanigan, Hauer, Biehn

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

SyFy picks up Metal Hurlant Chronicles -- S: Adkins, White, Flanigan, Hauer, Biehn

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

SyFy just made an exciting choice as they’ve picked up ‘Metal Hurlant Chronicles’. The series is already two seasons in and is based on the ‘Heavey Metal‘ comic from the 70′s which has a very adult flair with bizarre to fantastic story lines.

The series itself consists of two six-episode seasons with each episode clocking in at 30-minutes. It will be enough to catch all of our appetitites but not long enough to really get things going quite yet. The show is an English-language French production and stars a few faces you’ll probably recognize including Rutger Hauer (‘Blade Runner’, ‘Batman Begins’), Joe Flanigan (‘Stargate: Atlantis’, ’6 Bullets’), James Marsters (‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’, ‘Warehouse 13′), Michael Jai White (‘The Dark Knight’, ‘Arrow’), Scott Adkins (‘The Bourne Ultimatum’ ,’The Legend of Hercules’), David Belle (‘Babylon A.D.’, ‘District B13′), Matt Mullins (‘Mortal Kombat: Legacy’, ‘Kamen Rider’), Michael Biehn (‘The Terminator‘, ‘Aliens’), John Rhys-Davies (‘The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring’, ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’), and Jimmy Jean-Louis (‘Heroes’, ‘Tears of the Sun’). Talk about one hell of a cast that I can’t wait to actually see working together!
The comics were initially released in the 1970s with an animated film released in 1981 and is still fondly appreciated with an underground cult status of awesome. Well, that’s how I would describe it at least.

This is a French production, but shot entirely in English. I believe it's supposed to start airing next month on Mondays. They also picked up season 2. Pretty impressive cast list.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5Y4vvrf6Asw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SyFy teaser:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hso3FTzMSy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-30-14, 01:39 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: SyFy picks up Metal Hurlant Chronicles -- S: Adkins, White, Flanigan, Hauer, Bieh

that cast is epic... the trailer, not so much.
Old 03-30-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: SyFy picks up Metal Hurlant Chronicles -- S: Adkins, White, Flanigan, Hauer, Bieh

Here's another teaser. This one actually looks better than the 1st one I posted:

<iframe src="http://www.metacafe.com/embed/11171122/" width="440" height="248" allowFullScreen frameborder=0></iframe>
Old 03-30-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Incredible cast, but that tells me it was likely a very short commitment and many of them end up dying on the show. Could we finally get to see Spike fight against a ninja?
Old 03-30-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I remember back when David Belle posted a clip of this in his YouTube page. I never thought I'd see anything more than that clip. The cast is insane. Hopefully the show lives up to them.
Old 04-14-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Bump

This premieres tonight on SyFy

2 episodes are airing. Almost forgot about this one.

Premieres Monday, April 14 at 10 & 10:30PM - Based on the popular comics anthology Metal Hurlan, each of the 12-episodes (comprising Seasons 1 & 2) take place on a different planet with a different cast, linked together by the presence of an asteroid, which plays a vital role in their lives - and the future of their civilization. The international cast includes James Marsters, Rutger Hauer, Michael Jai White and Joe Flanigan.
Old 04-15-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

Dang, I missed this. I'll have to catch a replay.
Old 04-15-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Doh! Did not realize this already aired...hopefully, like most syfy shows, I can catch up when they repeat the episodes later this week.
Old 04-15-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

OMG....

Episode 1 was hilariously bad.

I'm guessing this is some kind of weird anthology series. This 1st episode was a mix of a Medieval period show and some steam punk elements.

Michael Jai White was reciting lines like he was acting in a Shakespeare play. That was hilarious.

The fight scenes he had with Scott Adkins was pretty poorly staged. And WTF was that giant cheap looking robot?

at the last scene when Adkins got lobotomized and the brain of the dying king was transferred to his body.
Old 04-15-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Just finished episode 2

Man, this series is so fucking weird. Michael Jai White was playing a different character in this episode.

It started out pretty decent. The aliens were creepy and I thought White's character was much better this time around. He was pretty badass and had some good fights. It felt more science fiction.

Then there was the last scene with the Giant Bunny Rabbit.....

The good thing is the episodes are so short. Only 30 minutes.

Looks like Joe Flanigan and Rutger Hauer's episodes are next week.
Old 04-15-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

So I guess it's a good thing I missed it.
Old 04-17-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the deal with the order of episodes being aired for this? I saw there were 2 episodes, the first episode of season 1, and then technically the 2nd episode of season 2. Are they just picking up in season 2 then? Watching the rest of season 1 isn't important? Not sure what the point of airing the first episode of season 1 was then...
Old 04-17-14, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Yeah, I saw the first two episodes and they were pretty bad. I did like the creepy aliens, but the fighting was ridiculous, and there was a distinct lack of hot fighting chicks as shown in their publicity materials.

Maybe they wanted to air the second episode in time for Easter because of the monster at the end?
Old 04-17-14, 11:00 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the first episode was garbage.

the second was also garbage, but the aliens (especially the lead one) was pretty freakin' creepy.

In the second episode I love how the asteroid apparently somehow crossed over the planet twice within the span of a day or so.
Old 04-17-14, 12:16 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I am right there with everyone else on this show...such an odd creature. I also quickly picked up on the show being more like an anthology when Michael Jai White's character popped up in episode 2.

I never read the comic this is based on, but each ep. is quick enough so I am in as long as the show is on the air.

I also do love that the creepy bad guy was killed by the Easter Bunny (the scene of the kid riding the Easter Bunny had me flashing back to when the kid was riding the beast in The Neverending Story).
Old 04-17-14, 12:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

taped it, is it worth it?
Old 04-17-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
taped it, is it worth it?
Do you enjoy an anthology series, and one that is really "Out there"?

This is a French-Belgian production, so it's not a typical Science Fiction show. It's super strange.
Old 04-17-14, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It's a weird, low-budget French series. I thought the first episode was awful, while the second one was merely bad. Remember, I think SyFy probably aired the best episodes of the bunch as the debut.

The fight scenes are some of the worst I've seen since the heyday of the 1980s.
Old 04-18-14, 02:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
Do you enjoy an anthology series, and one that is really "Out there"?

This is a French-Belgian production, so it's not a typical Science Fiction show. It's super strange.
Maybe I'll look out for it in our UK version of SyFy. Where would you put it on the Lexx scale of out there-ness?
Old 05-20-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are any episodes of this not horrible? I'm almost done with the series, waiting for a gem to surprise me.
Old 05-21-14, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the first two (in order) and I like it. I know this show is getting some hate here, but I'm a big fan of the stories in Heavy Metal and this show is basically those type of stories.
Old 05-21-14, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I tuned in for a second and turned it off. Could not watch.