Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Wu-Tang Clan Releasing Only One Copy of New Album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I am not quite sure if this is the most clever or most stupid thing ever ... but here it is

=====================

Never one to do things the easy way, the Wu-Tang Clan is reportedly preparing to follow the July release of A Better Tomorrow—an album that will mark the 20th anniversary of the group, as well as the fourth or fifth anniversary of members of that group being pissed at RZA —with another, double album, titled Once Upon A Time In Shaolin. However, the latter will see an appropriately bizarre release, one befitting a collective with a history of complex mythology and making things difficult for themselves: Only one copy will ever be pressed, and next to no one will be able to hear it.

In a release strategy that makes Beck’s recent distribution of sheet music look like a personalized mix-tape, the sole copy of Once Upon A Time In Shaolin will be encased inside an engraved silver-and-nickel box designed by British-Moroccan artist Yahya, then taken on a tour through museums, art galleries, and festivals. There—and only there—visitors will be able to listen to all 128 minutes of its 31 songs on headphones, and only after enduring a rigorous security check to eliminate the risk of any recording devices. Once the album has completed that tour, it will then be sold to a single buyer for a price estimated to be “in the millions.” Because Wu-Tang is for the children—the children on museum field trips, and the children of very rich people.

“We’re about to sell an album like nobody else sold it before,” RZA tells Forbes (where he presumably stopped off to discuss diversifying bonds). “This is like somebody having the scepter of an Egyptian king.” Still, both RZA and the project’s co-mastermind, producer Tarik “Cilvaringz” Azzougarh, recognize maybe not everyone wants to own an Egyptian scepter, but would rather just, you know, be able to listen to the music. “It might totally flop, and we might be completely ridiculed,” Cilvaringz says. “But the essence and core of our ideas is to inspire creation and originality and debate, and save the music album from dying.” One way to save it is to stick it inside an insanely expensive sarcophagus, apparently, where its legend can outlive its mortal songs. Judging by the tepid reaction to new Wu material—even from other members of the group—that may not be such a crazy strategy.
Old 03-26-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wu-Tang Clan Releasing Only One Copy of New Album

I guess my knowledge of the Wu-Tang Clan is outdated as I have no idea who the hell Cilvaringz is.
Old 03-26-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Krayzie
I guess my knowledge of the Wu-Tang Clan is outdated as I have no idea who the hell Cilvaringz is.
He was a Wu-affiliate out of Europe, showing up in the early 2000s. He has a couple of albums that never saw release in the States. I had no idea he was even still connected to the Wu-Tang, I think he was associates with one of Rza's cousins or something.
Old 03-26-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Ambitious, pretentious, all in one!

And I like Wu-Tang but what a way to alienate the fan base.
Old 03-26-14, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's nearly genius. It would have been perfect if they toned it down to the point of just putting out one copy of the random cd out there in the wild for any random to be able to just pick it up.

This putting it in a special box, taking it out on tour for listening sessions, placing it in museums and then trying to sell it for millions is just a bit off-putting. It's still commercializing their music, just a lot more clever then anyone else to date. I do like the thought process, they just seem to be taking it too far.
Old 03-26-14, 06:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And then it leaked to torrent sites.
*POOF* goes the museum dream.
Old 03-27-14, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Between this and Facebook buying a VR company, the actual April Fool's jokes are going to have their work cut out for them.
Old 03-27-14, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by The Black
And then it leaked to torrent sites.
*POOF* goes the museum dream.
Well, it will certainly be easy to track down who leaked it.
Old 03-27-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

RZA shouldn't give Gene Simmons & Lars Ulrich any ideas.
Old 03-27-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John Cage would be proud.
Old 03-27-14, 09:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Here's why they're doing this:
The "millions" that one dumbass will pay for the thing will outweigh the tens of thousands of dollars (if that) that they'll make from selling it in the traditional way. This guarantees that they actually make some money.

8 Diagrams sold 68,000 in its first week in 2007, and who knows how few after that. They likely made $1 (maybe $2?) off of each sale.

I fully expect the album to be released on streaming services after the "listening tour" is over.