Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Gwar frontman, Dave Brockie, dead at 50...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

According to Style Weekly, Dave Brockie, better known as Oderus Urungus, the founder and lead singer of renowned metal band GWAR, has died. Roommates reportedly found Brockie's body at his home Sunday evening (March 23). "I wish it was a joke," former GWAR bassist Chris Bopst, a music writer for Style Weekly, tells the site. "Everyone is in shock." Brockie was 50 years old.

"Dave was one of the funniest, smartest, most creative and energetic persons I've known," former GWAR bassist Mike Bishop told Style Weekly. "He was brash sometimes, always crass, irreverent, he was hilarious in every way. But he was also deeply intelligent and interested in life, history, politics and art. His penchant for scatological humors belied a lucid wit. He was a criminally underrated lyricist and hard rock vocalist, one of the best, ever! A great frontman, a great painter, writer, he was also a hell of a bass guitarist. I loved him. He was capable of great empathy and had a real sense of justice."

Vocalist Randy Blythe of fellow Richmond, Virginia metallers LAMB OF GOD, who toured with GWAR in 2009, wrote on Instagram: "I got a very sad call tonight from my buddy Chris Bopst, who was one of the original members of GWAR. My friend Dave Brockie, a.k.a. Oderus Urungus, the singer of GWAR, has left the building and taken off back to his home planet. He was 50 years old.

"I do not know details of why he died yet, just that he passed away at home and his roommates found him.

"When someone dies, a lot of the time people will say, 'Oh, he was a unique person, really one of a kind, a true original.' Most of these people no idea of what they are talking about; they obviously had never met Dave.

"Dave TRULY WAS ONE OF A KIND. I can't think of ANYONE even remotely like him. That's VERY HARD TO SAY.

"My band learned how to become a real touring band from GWAR. They gave us out first shot at this thing.

"I learned many things from Dave, many of which I am eternally grateful for, and some of which I am deeply ashamed of.

"I took this picture at his birthday party a few months ago — Dave kissing his Oderus birthday cake.

"Right now, if I were to truly honor Dave in the way HE would do it if it were ME that had died, I would make a completely tasteless joke about his death. But I do not have the stomach for that — Dave would, but not me. He never put much stock in 'limits.'

"Richmond has lost one of its most creative people.

"This is a crying shame to me.

"Thank you, Brockie, for all the crazy shit you did. Thank God you existed, so you could do it and I didn't have to. It was an honor to know you, to be your Shaky Slave, to serve in the Blood Vomits along side you (let's ride!), and to be soaked by your sweet cuttlefish.

"RIP Dave Brockie. Oderus, enjoy your trip back home."

Vocalist Tony Foresta of another Richmond, Virginia band, MUNICIPAL WASTE, which toured with GWAR in 2012, wrote on Instagram: "I'm so devastated right now. One of the most fun, brilliant, inspirational and creative people I've ever had the privilege to call a friend has passed. I'm going to miss you so much, pal."

Dez Fafara (DEVILDRIVER, COAL CHAMBER): "Rest in peace, my brother!"

EMMURE: "We are deeply saddened by the news of our fellow comrade passing away. Dave was a admired individual amongst us. He spoke highly of EMMURE and whether he knew it or not, we were very passionate about him as well. R.I.P., Oderus Urungus. GWAR FOREVER."

Ben Orum (ex-ALL SHALL PERISH): "Dave, You were a creative genius. Thank you for bringing so much joy to me and my friends as we grew up with GWAR. RIP."

According to Australia's TheMusic.com.au, GWAR's management will issue a statement regarding reports of Brockie's passing at approximately 1:00 p.m. EST today.

Brockie is not the first member of GWAR to die at an early age. GWAR guitarist Cory Smoot, who played the character of Flattus Maximus for over ten years, was discovered dead on the band's tour bus on November 3, 2011. He was 34 years old.

In a January 2012 interview with Full Metal Jackie, Brockie stated about Smoot's passing: "I think Cory's death is a big wake-up call for all of us. We all breathed a big sigh of relief when we found out it wasn't a drug overdose, to speak quite frankly. But then to think that he was 34 and died of a heart attack — it's really scary."

He continued: "Everybody out there needs to take care of themselves, especially you guys who are playing in bands and starting to get up into your 40s and you're all sitting there just like me saying, 'Holy shit, this is still going on and I can keep doing this probably for the rest of my life?' Yeah, you can, but you have to take of yourself. You really, really, really, really do. So I'm trying to quit smoking right now."

GWAR's latest album, "Battle Maximus", sold around 3,500 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 109 on The Billboard 200 chart. The CD — the band's first full-length studio effort since the loss of Flattus Maximus — was issued on September 17, 2013 on Metal Blade Records.

GWAR's previous CD, 2010's "Bloody Pit Of Horror", opened with around 2,800 units — roughly half of the first-week tally registered by 2009's "Lust In Space", which premiered with 5,000 copies to land at No. 96.
Old 03-24-14, 08:19 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Gwar frontman, Dave Brockie, dead at 50...

I'm glad I got to see them live a few years ago. I hadn't really kept up with the band in over a decade, but it was still a hell of a show. Nothing like walking back through the lobby of the posh conference hotel with your clothing and skin soaked with fake 'blood'.
Old 03-24-14, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I recall seeing a commercial for GWAR playing at a local venue in the late '80s and they seemed to be more of an act than a band but I was pleasantly surprised when I heard Scumdogs of the Universe. I have not kept up with their latest material but I have fond memories listening to Scumdogs and America Must Be Destroyed.

In college I worked with a guy that seemed like the most unlikely fan -- nice, clean-cut guy -- but he loved GWAR. He even took a date to a show and recounted taking her through the mosh pit and getting sprayed with fake blood. I don't remember if they had another date or not.

I need to watch Phallus in Wonderland and I will give Scumdogs and America a spin tonight.

Cuttlefish of Cthulhu
Old 03-24-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yeah, woke up to the news this morning. Fuck, and I never did see them live. I went through my GWAR phase (obsession) in high school. I even have that book that Brockie wrote recently called "Wharghoul."

I noticed his Twitter feed was still active up until yesterday where he was criticizing Slayer for supposedly protesting the Fred Phelps memorial. Brockie called them idiots.
Old 03-24-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Saw them a few years back at Harpos in Detroit when my then girlfriend knew the opening band. It was about as amazing as you would expect but the thing I remember the most was a drunk off his ass fan stumbling down the aisle next to us with his dick hanging out of his pants pissing everywhere.

Only at a Gwar show.
Old 03-24-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Total bummer. I've probably seen them live more than any other band (around eight times) and it was always a ton of fun. He will be missed.
Old 03-24-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was never a big follower of their music, and, frankly, always thought they were more of a joke than anything. But I saw them play live at the Key Club once and that changed my opinion immensely. Not only was it one of the most offensive, fantastic, entertaining shows I've ever been to in my life, but, man, those guys could really play!

Old 03-24-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I can't find it but there was a Daily Show segment with Beth Littleford interviewing Oderus at a golf course back in the '90s.

From YouTube it looks like he was quite the regular on Fox News Red Eye.
Old 03-24-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm glad I got to see Gwar live, what an experience. Oderus was typically hilarious through his tweets, his appearances on TV shows, and I loved that he went full on with the Scumdogs living in Antarctica, destroying Earth.

It's too bad he died, and 50 isn't all that old. I look forward to seeing what Gwar does now. I doubt they'll hang it up, since it would be easy to bring in someone else and make up whatever story they want.
Old 03-24-14, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I was never a big follower of their music, and, frankly, always thought they were more of a joke than anything. But I saw them play live at the Key Club once and that changed my opinion immensely. Not only was it one of the most offensive, fantastic, entertaining shows I've ever been to in my life, but, man, those guys could really play!

This was the same story for me, regarded them as a no-talent joke band until I went to the Sounds of the Underground tour in 2005. Became a huge fan from that point forward.
Old 03-24-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

This is a real bummer man
I got to meet Dave last year at SDCC and he took some pics with my Two girls who loved watching him on Holliston.
The guy was such a loud mouth but spoke his mind. He didnt care what anyone thought.
Old 03-24-14, 02:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw Gwar 5 or 6 times during high school/college. Always a fun show. I haven't been crazy about their more recent albums but I had been pondering taking my 14 year old to a show as it is something one has to experience.

Originally Posted by mndtrp
It's too bad he died, and 50 isn't all that old. I look forward to seeing what Gwar does now. I doubt they'll hang it up, since it would be easy to bring in someone else and make up whatever story they want.
It's possible they may continue without him, but it would be a big change. A couple years back I was flipping through some metal magazine at Borders that had a "roundtable" interview between various Gwar band members. It seemed like many of the original members who were interviewed had a lot of animosity towards Brockie. One of them said something to the effect of 'the band needs to die already, but as long as Brockie is around it never will.'
Old 03-24-14, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R.I.P, Gwar is my all time favorite band.

Old 03-25-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by BGPu
It's possible they may continue without him, but it would be a big change. A couple years back I was flipping through some metal magazine at Borders that had a "roundtable" interview between various Gwar band members. It seemed like many of the original members who were interviewed had a lot of animosity towards Brockie. One of them said something to the effect of 'the band needs to die already, but as long as Brockie is around it never will.'
Interesting. If that's the case, then I won't be surprised if the rest of the band does just let it go.
Old 03-27-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

GWAR Frontman Dave Brockie's Death Being Investigated As Drug-Related
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 03:51:40 EST

It is now being reported that GWAR frontman Dave Brockie's death on March 23rd is being investigated as drug-related based on evidence gathered at the scene.
Old 03-27-14, 10:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I'm glad I got to see Gwar live,what an experience. Oderus was typically hilarious through his tweets, his appearances on TV shows, and I loved that he went full on with the Scumdogs living in Antarctica, destroying Earth.

indeedy ... I also saw their side project band X-Cops which was even more surreal - but had guns, and a lot of blood squibs.
Old 03-28-14, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VHS?
GWAR Frontman Dave Brockie's Death Being Investigated As Drug-Related
Posted on Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 03:51:40 EST

It is now being reported that GWAR frontman Dave Brockie's death on March 23rd is being investigated as drug-related based on evidence gathered at the scene.
That sucks. An overdose? And he was all about clean living, I suppose. You'd need the energy ago lug around all that stuff on tour and he was fit. You can't wear what he wore onstage and be a fat ass.

I'll wait for the official report to come out. Bummer if true.
Old 03-28-14, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Brockie never really struck me as a big time drug-user. He always seemed too quick-witted and lucid to be fucked up. I've spent a bit of time around junkies and pill-poppers, and it's not too difficult to pick them out. He might've smoked a little mj, but I never got a cokehead or heroin vibe off of him.

It could have been an accidental thing where he was killed by mixing prescription painkillers or muscle relaxants with alcohol, I suppose.
Old 03-28-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really is hard to believe how clueless most people are about drugs. I guarantee you are around users all the time and have no clue that they do various drugs.
Old 03-28-14, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by arminius
It really is hard to believe how clueless most people are about drugs. I guarantee you are around users all the time and have no clue that they do various drugs.
It does take one to know one. Often I can spot it, but that's just because I've done it myself and know what to look for.
Old 03-28-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
Yup, the pharmacy & liquor store are the biggest pushers.
Old 06-03-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

GWAR Frontman
Died of Heroin Overdose

6/3/2014 12:59 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dave Brockie -- lead singer and founding member of legendary metal band GWAR -- died of a heroin overdose ... and officials tell TMZ it was accidental.

Brockie -- a.k.a Oderus Urungus -- was found dead sitting in a chair at home back in March.

A rep for the Virginia medical examiner's office tell us the official cause of death is acute heroin toxicity ... and the death is being ruled an accident.
I thought this dude lived a clean life after giving all that shit up years ago.
Perhaps he was hiding it. Still sad but it also kinda pisses me off.
Old 06-03-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

How can a heroin overdose be "accidental"? Was he reaching for a can of Pepsi and, oops! Heroin!
Old 06-03-14, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bummer.