Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can anyone school me on the Sonos wireless system?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 03-18-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend's father got a few speakers for Christmas and I was intrigued and impressed by the system.

However, there are questions I have and I can't seem to get answers from their website:

- Do I need to have a receiver if i want to watch a DVD or use a device like a Roku?

- If I wanted to use this for a record player, what would be the best options?

- Are any of the bridge components required?
Old 03-21-14, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Can anyone school me on the Sonos wireless system?

Well, I've never used one or visited their website, but Crutchfield is pretty helpful.

No, you don't necessarily need a receiver, unless you have many devices and you need the switching capability. Instead, you can plug one analog audio source into the Play:5 speaker, one digital source into the Playbar, or use the Connect for a few sources. It would also depend on the device, though. For instance, the Roku3 only has HDMI output (except in its remote), and none of the Sonos devices have HDMI.

With a record player, you need a turntable with a built in phono preamp, or a separate preamp. Or a receiver with a phono preamp. And one of the Sonos devices with analog input.

The Bridge is for wireless access for the Sonos, if you don't put a speaker near your network router. You don't necessarily need one, you can wire any of the speakers, instead.

Note: You would need to carefully set up a receiver to work with the Sonos. The receiver needs to have the proper output. Not every receiver would be easy or even able to do this.

Last edited by Spiky; 03-21-14 at 11:25 PM.