Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

GoHastings Sale 4 or more Used Movies, CDs, Games, Books, take 40% off. Valid 3/16-17

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

GoHastings Sale 4 or more Used Movies, CDs, Games, Books, take 40% off. Valid 3/16-17

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Code: SERENITYNOW
Old 03-16-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Re: GoHastings Sale 4 or more Used Movies, CDs, Games, Books, take 40% off. Valid 3/1

As usual there are several USED items I added that do *not* get the discount. Has anyone had experience with calling to get such product adjusted? These *are* "used" and *not* PV.
Old 03-16-14, 11:03 PM

Re: GoHastings Sale 4 or more Used Movies, CDs, Games, Books, take 40% off. Valid 3/1

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
As usual there are several USED items I added that do *not* get the discount. Has anyone had experience with calling to get such product adjusted? These *are* "used" and *not* PV.
Yes, that has happened to me, too. Some used titles do not get a discount. The fine print says "qualifying titles," so I just assumed that not all their used product will qualify in the sale so I never bothered to call. It really is frustrating searching their site, too, because a lot of their used inventory is also "out of stock."
Old 03-16-14, 11:49 PM

I don't mind having their movies indicating "out of stock". What annoys me the most and is a complete waste of time, is when the movie doesn't show out of stock on the initial page and when you click on the title, then it indicates that they're out of stock. I mentioned that annoyance to a customer service rep and she said she would talk to the IT dept about it. That was at least 6 months ago and I have a better chance winning the lottery than waiting for an IT person to make a change that they don't care about and have no intention of making.
Old 03-17-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They've gone up on their shipping.

$8.00 shipping for 5 books.

A few months ago you could get those shipped for $1.00.
Old 03-17-14, 06:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The last sale I went through the site for over an hour and put around 30 dads or so in my cart, and when I went to check out the shipping was so grossly high I didn't bother. Never again with this site for me.
Old 03-17-14, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
They've gone up on their shipping.

$8.00 shipping for 5 books.

A few months ago you could get those shipped for $1.00.
Whoa! that is QUITE the increase!

What is that? 800%?

Shipping is more expensive than some of their books!
Old 03-18-14, 03:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Not that it matters now since the sale is over, but all of their sales are only on "qualifying items."

What does "qualifying items" mean? How are they decided? It's completely arbitrary. The easiest way to see the qualifying titles is to click on the link on the website for the deal/sale/promotion, which you'll have to do because no one bothers to link directly to the site from this forum. The link on their website takes you right to everything that qualifies. If you're insistent on using their wishlist, then you just have to add everything you're interested in to your cart, apply the code, and see what sticks and what doesn't.

Originally Posted by Steve
Whoa! that is QUITE the increase!

What is that? 800%?

Shipping is more expensive than some of their books!
It's $3 base shipping for books PLUS $0.99 for books. So $3.99 shipping for one book, $4.98 for two books, etc. So the more books you buy, the more you can decrease your shipping cost per book.

It's a huge leap over their $0.96 shipping. And before $0.96 shipping, they actually offered FREE shipping on books. And now they've conditioned their customers to expect rock bottom shipping prices on books even though that was never a sustainable model since they won't add shipping costs into the base cost of the items. But it's easy to see both were huge money losers. Since Hastings ships items from individual stores and not warehouses, it's possible your items will all ship individually. The online discounted price for USPS Media Mail shipping under 1 lbs is $2.92. 1 to 2 lbs is up to $3.40 now. So they were bleeding money on book shipping costs. The new rates are pretty fair if you buy more than one book per order. And though the increased shipping prices are fair, without a significant sale on the books themselves, the prices are no longer cheaper than Amazon Marketplace or eBay. So without a good sale you might as well shop around.