Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Veronica Mars (Thomas, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Veronica Mars (Thomas, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
6.45%
16.13%
45.16%
22.58%
0%
3.23%
0%
3.23%
0%
0%
0%
I have to pay for this??
3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 03:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Veronica Mars" (Starring: Kristen Bell, Jason Dohring, Krysten Ritter, Ryan Hansen, Tina Majorino, Sam Huntington

Release Date:
3/14/14

Rating:
PG-13 (for sexuality including references, drug content, violence and some strong language throughout.)

Running Time:
107m. (1h. 47m.)

Budget:
$6 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Years after walking away from her past as a teenage private eye, Veronica Mars gets pulled back to her hometown - just in time for her high school reunion - in order to help her old flame Logan Echolls, who's embroiled in a murder mystery.

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.7 (485 votes as of 3/13/14

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:34 Rotten:12 (74% as of 3/13/14)

Metacritic:
62 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 3/13/14)

Trailer:
<iframe width="450" height="238" src="http://v.traileraddict.com/84871" allowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Poster Art:
Old 03-10-14, 04:33 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Veronica Mars (Thomas, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Will be seeing this on Thursday at the fan preview screening.
Old 03-12-14, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Veronica Mars (2014, Thomas) S: Bell, Dohring, Colantoni, Daggs, Majorino

Saw the movie at the NYC premiere, I think they pulled off the transition pretty well. Fans of the show should be pleased.
Old 03-12-14, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How does it hold as a film? If one had no connection to the series?
Old 03-12-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
How does it hold as a film? If one had no connection to the series?
That's my big question as well. I know I'll enjoy it, but I'm seeing if other friends want to go and most haven't seen an episode. It sounds terrible when I'm telling them "well guys, the show is really good, but I honestly don't know how it'll play to you..."
Old 03-13-14, 04:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

‘Veronica Mars’: Not quite ready for the big screen

Some 91,585 fans loved the “Veronica Mars” TV series so much, they contributed a total of $5.7 million to the Kickstarter campaign to fund a “Veronica Mars” movie.

I was not one of the so-called “Marshmallows” pledging financial allegiance to the dream of a big-screen version of “Veronica,” because I’ve never seen an episode of the show about a teenage girl detective, and in fact I didn’t know hardcore fans were called “Marshmallows” until about seven minutes ago.

Given that info, some fans of the UPN/CW series that ran from 2004-2007 might howl, “Disqualification, Roeper! How can you review the movie if you’re never seen the TV show?”

Well. Often I have read the book or seen the TV show upon which a movie is based. Much more often, I haven’t read the book (or the graphic novel, or the comic book), and many times I’m not all that familiar with the TV show or video game that serves as source material for a film, because we have just the 24 hours to each day.

The film must stand on its own. My assignment is to tell you if this movie is worth your time and money, whether you opt to watch the “Veronica Mars” movie on one of 270 screens nationwide, or via same-day video on demand.

As a movie, “Veronica Mars” looks and feels, well, like a glorified TV movie, with just decent production values, mostly unexceptional performances and ridiculous plot developments no more innovative than you’d see on a dozen network TV detective shows.

In a smart move intended to bring the newbies up to speed, creator-director Rob Thomas has star Kristen Bell narrating an opening sequence explaining how the high school student Veronica Mars became a private eye (under the mentorship of her sheriff-turned-private-detective father) in the town of Neptune, Calif., after Veronica’s best friend was murdered.

Flash forward to the present day. Veronica is living in New York City, on the verge of taking a job with a prestigious law firm and in a healthy relationship with Piz (Chris Lowell). She’s put the crazy past behind her.

But just when Veronica thinks she’s out, Neptune pulls her back in. She wasn’t planning on returning for her 10-year high school reunion, but when a former classmate turned pop star named Bonnie DeVille (Andrea Estella) is found electrocuted in a bathtub and Veronica’s former flame Logan (Jason Dohring) is named as the prime suspect, it’s time for Veronica to come home and take out the old sleuthing devices.

One of the myriad odd things about this movie is the nearly universal, emotion-free manner in which most of the characters react to the literally shocking death of Bonnie DeVille. Granted, Logan had become (in his own words) more of a sponsor than a boyfriend to the troubled Bonnie, but he doesn’t seem the least bit ruffled by her death — or the fact he’s facing, you know, something like life in prison if he’s found guilty of her murder.

Then again, this guy actually shows up in his all-white Navy uniform to greet Veronica at the airport, and they’re almost instantly bantering and flirting and reconnecting with former high school classmates, frenemies and archrivals. We’re told Logan was quite the hothead back in the day and there’s some present-day viral video footage of him losing his temper, but as played by Dohring, this guy is more of a drip than a threat.

Kristen Bell brings her trademark sass and spunk to the role of Veronica Mars. We like her. She seems real, even when the proceedings around grow increasingly cartoonish and just plain weird. Veronica’s smart, she’s tough, she’s fiercely loyal to her father (Enrico Colantoni, in the most grounded performance in the film), she’s vulnerable, she’s self-deprecating — and she’s not without her flaws, especially in the romantic department.

But this story is all over the place. There are two murder investigations, a number of irrelevant subplots featuring characters from the original TV show, a surreal detour featuring a cameo by an Oscar-nominated actor playing himself, some of the most blatant product placements ever (“A Budweiser for you, a Bud Light for you”) and Harvey Levin popping up on TV sets to comment on the case on “TMZ.” And did I mention Jerry O’Connell as an idiotic and corrupt sheriff?

My guess is “Veronica Mars” fans will find comfort and a good measure of closure in this update — and they’d probably kick in another $6 mil if Thomas and Bell wanted to add another chapter to the saga.

But I still won’t be calling myself a “Marshmallow” if that happens.
Old 03-13-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
As a movie, “Veronica Mars” looks and feels, well, like a glorified TV movie, with just decent production values
For $6 million, what did this reviewer expect?
Old 03-13-14, 10:43 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Well... I saw it. It's hard for me to be objective about it.

This was absolutely made for fans. I really don't see how anyone would really like it if they didn't see the show. Maybe I'm wrong? I'd like to see a review on here from someone who sees it and never saw the show.

I was never crazy about the idea about Logan being suspected for murder AGAIN. It just didn't work for me. I especially didn't buy him sparking up a relationship with Carrie Bishop. I suppose the overall mystery was ok and served the purpose of the reunion.

The movie was too episodic. There are a bunch of loose ends and storylines set up for a follow up. I imagine it would be covered in the book coming out. According to Thomas: The books picks up just a few months after the events of the movie, but the movie is not designed as a cliffhanger. If you want to know what happens next after the movie, the book will tell you that. But you won't need to read the book to get closure. The film -- which I wrote before I ever knew there would be novels -- is able to stand alone. That said...

• The books will exist in the same official "universe" as the series and film. Sometimes, novels that build on the events of television shows or films are isolated spin-off stories, or adventures that seem to take place in some forgettable parallel universe. This is not one of those times. The Thousand Dollar Tan Line is the actual next chapter in Veronica's life.

• The book will still be official, even if we make more movies. I've said that I'd like to make more movies, if this one does well, and that's still true. If (or when) we get that chance, one of two things will happen: we'll either (1) adapt the novel, and use it as the basis for the next movie, or (2) have the movie pick up after the events of the books take place. I'm not sure which it will be; we'll figure it out when the time comes. But we won't ignore the book, or pretend it never happened.

• The book's mystery is based on the original idea for the movie. When I started talking about making a Veronica Mars movie, just after the show's cancellation, I had a specific story that I wanted to tell. But last year, when I finally began writing the script, I realized that we'd need to tell a different story first: one that brought our characters back together after years apart. As a follow-up to the movie, the book gave me the chance to pursue my original idea again.

• The book will feature the return of another important figure from Veronica's past -- someone you already know from the show -- who didn't return for the movie. And I promise, this isn't a cheap ploy to get you interested. I'm not talking about a cameo from a minor character. This character is important to Veronica, and has a significant role in the book.

Overall, I'm happy it got made. I enjoyed it a lot. They definitely made the most of the money that they had. And I absolutely would welcome more movies or a Netflix series.

I'm curious as to what other fans thought.

Last edited by dex14; 03-13-14 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-13-14, 11:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I'll watch this as soon as it pops up on VOD.

Ok. $7 to rent on iTunes right now.
Old 03-13-14, 11:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's fantastic, I loved it. I have no clue how it will play to people who haven't seen the show, but for fans, I can't think of a better love letter. I'd love to get a sequel. The writing was really sharp, and seeing the cast together gave me the warm fuzzies.
Old 03-14-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would love to see it in a theater if it was playing anywhere close to me.
Old 03-14-14, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Its playing at most AMC theaters

I'm with Supermallot, its a love letter to the fans, with a decent murder mystery as the plot. Saw it at a midnight screening, our AMC had stuck us in the smallest theater, but people did show up, so it wasn't empty by any means.

As far as non fans of the show and the movie, the writing is very sharp and funny, & you have a who dun it, but then again a lot of the enjoyment is seeing these characters and their intereactions with each other again
Old 03-14-14, 11:20 AM

Here is a review of Veronica Mars and the official 2 week delay for Sacramento fans.

http://www.cinemawest.com/pal.html

The amiable, highly enjoyable “Veronica Mars” offers as much as one can expect from a TV-show adaptation financed by $5.7 million in Kickstarter fan donations.

Available on video on demand today and opening in some theaters (nearest to Sacramento is the AMC Showplace Manteca; Folsom’s Palladio Cinemas will open it March 28), “Veronica” brings back most of the gang from the 2004-07 UPN/CW show.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/03/13/623...#storylink=cpy

Jacob
Old 03-14-14, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I tend to like What the Flick! reviews and they gave pretty positive comments, especially considering both reviewers had not seen the series. http://youtu.be/02-W3go9-QE
Old 03-14-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a fan of VM, this was great. Just finished rewatching the series today, and this fit in perfectly.

For a non-fan, this would be a total loss. But I was definitely pleased.
Old 03-14-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw it and really enjoyed it, but if I weren't already such a huge fan of the series, then I likely would not have been too impressed. Glad I pledged to the campaign and would again for a sequel, but it's not for non-fans.
Old 03-14-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I never watched the show nor do I plan I seeing the movie but I hope it does well simply for possible future series that end up in the same boat as VM that I would be interested in.
Old 03-14-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Was going to see it in the theaters in the morning, but got blown off with the people I was going with. They can't go until Sunday. So I called it in on On Demand. I loved every fucking minute of it. This is exactly what the fans have been waiting for. I was literally smiling the whole time watching. I don't care how or where, but they have to do another movie or two. Or maybe a series somewhere like Netflix. I want more!
Old 03-14-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I have the digital download on my pc from being a backer, but I really want to see it in the theater first. The only problem is it's not playing anywhere in Tennessee. I'd have to drive four hours to see it in a theater. I'm probably going to break down and watch it on my pc this weekend.
Old 03-14-14, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Really liked the movie. I can't see fans of show not liking it with all the throw backs.
Old 03-14-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 980 Likes on 691 Posts

As a fan of the show, I loved just about every minute of it. However, it's not particularly cinematic in any way. In fact it feels pretty much like a double length episode of the show. Kind of like a great season finale. The unresolved plot threads, in particular, really play to this feeling. Still, if you were a fan of the show, it's essential viewing. If you're not already a fan, there's some fun to be had, but I can't imagine wanting to pay $12 to see it.
Old 03-14-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wrote my thoughts about this for a friend who is in the middle of watching the series and didn't want any spoilers given away:

The film really is a love letter to all the die-hard fans of the tv show who wanted it back. The winks and nods and references to the show are slathered throughout, to the point that even though I enjoyed them, I don’t think the film standing on its own would carry any great value to those who never saw the tv show. The more you know the show, the more you'll appreciate the movie and thankfully I re-watched all the episodes the last two months.

About the characters: Veronica is in pretty much every scene, and her full new-mom figure is in prominent display (even though she isn’t one in the story). She remains wise beyond her years. Logan isn’t given much to do from an acting standpoint, despite the central mystery revolving around him. Mac and Wallace share all their screen time together and are used as tools to help Veronica get information and not much else. Dick is given the best jokes and lines, and it really is distracting how much he reminds me of Jay Cutler. Most of the bit players make appearances in cameo type fashion. They come in for a scene, they’re interviewed by Veronica, and they’re never heard from again. It must have been a tough balancing act for Rob Thomas to make everyone happy. I enjoyed Leo's the most. I’m glad we caught the midnight show, because you know all the people in the audience were pretty hardcore fans of the show and applauded for their favorite characters as each one popped up for their scene.

Criticisms aside, it felt like there was a lot of joy behind making the movie, and it shines through. Seeing these people reunite both as characters and actors and feel the same chemistry between them nine years later was pretty fun to watch. In terms of the story, it felt like a complete season long story arc compressed into two hours with a side story (Weevil’s), although it does set up for a sequel and almost plays out like an origins story moving forward.
Old 03-15-14, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed it and I am completely satisfied. I am not quite sure what the disappointed people were expecting.
Old 03-15-14, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I unabashedly loved it. It has a lot of the weaknesses that the TV show had, but it was so great seeing these characters on screen again that I just didn't care. Gave me the same bittersweet feeling that Serenity and Star Trek VI gave me.
Old 03-15-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Gave me the same bittersweet feeling that Serenity and Star Trek VI gave me.
I was fairly glad it wasn't the main character blood-bath Serenity was though ....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.