Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Posters

Old 02-26-14, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Movie Posters

I've heard that it's not too good to keep posters rolled up in a tube. So, how should I go about displaying them? It used to be that I would stick them to the wall with sticky-tack. Is framing expensive?
Old 02-26-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Movie Posters

Good framing can be very expensive.
Old 02-26-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy reasonably priced frames, too. It all depends on how much you value the poster. I've got some nice ones in nice frames, and some that are just cool looking that are in $20 frames. If I liked the poster enough to buy it, I'd rather hang it up in a cheap frame than keep it in a tube.
Old 02-26-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,092 Likes on 789 Posts

Michaels and Hobby Lobby sell nice frames in a variety of styles and colors.

At least one a month both stores have sales on frames, and you can find coupons as well.
Old 02-26-14, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Yea I've used Michael's alot for my frames. The standard movie poster is 24 x 36 and frames for that size usually cost $15.
Old 02-26-14, 10:39 PM
Banned

Very cool. Thanks for the tips. I have a really cool The Incredibles poster I'd love to hang.
Old 02-26-14, 11:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you only have a single poster that you want to display, splurge on a nicer frame with some protection for the poster. If you need to get frames for a bunch, then go the Michael's route.
Old 02-26-14, 11:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
The standard movie poster is 24 x 36
The Mondo fad posters are regularly 24X36 or 18X24, but 1-sheets are generally 27X40(41), in the US anyway.

If you don't want the art to fade, get a nice frame, acid free, UV, etc. Otherwise go the Michael's rout.
Old 02-27-14, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by HellTrack
I've heard that it's not too good to keep posters rolled up in a tube. So, how should I go about displaying them? It used to be that I would stick them to the wall with sticky-tack. Is framing expensive?
Framing can be as expensive as you want it to be. Custom framing can run you quite a bit, but if you're just wanting something that's a step up from sticky-tack then a frame from Target should do you just fine.

If the posters have been sitting in tubes for a long time make sure to take them out, find a big enough surface to lay them down on, and flatten them. This can be done by putting the poster down, covering it with cardboard (or acid-free board if you really want to protect them) and then weighing it down around the edges. Some people use heavy bean bags. I usually place canned food items around the edges of the poster, on top of the cardboard that is protecting it. Leave it for a few weeks so it naturally flattens out. Then frame it.