DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Wonky Remote Button

Old 02-26-14, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wonky Remote Button

The last few days, I've noticed that it will often take a lot of pressure for me to get the remote to read me pressing the OK button to choose to do something while watching a movie. I took the remote apart and very lightly Q-tipped the little black dot the makes the button work. This seemed to work for a day or two, but not it's sometimes not working again. At least so far, it doesn't seem to be as bad as before.

Other than getting a new remote, is there a way for this to be fixed?
Old 02-27-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Wonky Remote Button

If the contact material is worn you can buy copper based paint at Radio Shack to repainting the internal contacts with.
Old 02-27-14, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Another solution is to use copper tape. You cut a tiny piece of it and stick it to the rubber backing on the button. I had this work for years with a few remotes I repaired. In fact, they never failed again.
Old 02-27-14, 08:22 AM
Banned

Would you get copper tape at someplace like Lowes or ACE? On the back of the rubber button is a little black "tab" that I guess makes contact with whatever is inside the remote that makes the button work. Copper tape really works?
Old 03-01-14, 11:08 AM
Banned

I found an old roll of metal tape and stuck a little dot of it on the backside of the messed up button. I also rubbed some graphite on the circuit of the button. This works perfectly. I know it won't last forever, but it will last until I can get some Keypad Fix.
Old 03-04-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Sorry, I'd forgotten about this thread.

Yes, copper tape works really well. A friend of mine had a big piece of it, so I didn't have to buy it, but I think you can find it pretty easily, online.

It will probably last longer than you think, because it (the tape) has the added benefit of being re-pressed against the back of the button, every time you use the button.