Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: Cagayan -- 2 Hour Premiere -- "Hot Girl with a Grudge" -- 2/26/14

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,670 Likes on 2,638 Posts
Survivor: Cagayan -- 2 Hour Premiere -- "Hot Girl with a Grudge" -- 2/26/14

THREE CASTAWAYS FACE A GAME-CHANGING DECISION MINUTES INTO THE COMPETITION, ON A SPECIAL TWO-HOUR SEASON PREMIERE OF "SURVIVOR," THEMED "BRAWN vs. BRAINS vs. BEAUTY," WEDNESDAY, FEB. 26

"Hot Girl With A Grudge" - Three castaways face a game-changing decision minutes after the competition begins. Meanwhile, one tribe pours both blood and sweat into an early challenge and one castaway seeks revenge after discovering that her tribe wants to vote her out, on a special two-hour season premiere of SURVIVOR, Wednesday, Feb. 26 (8:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

CASTAWAYS:

Brawn Tribe

Cliff Robinson Age: 46 Newark, N.J. Former NBA All-Star

Lindsey Ogle Age: 29 Kokomo, Ind. Hairstylist

Sarah Lacina Age: 29 Cedar Rapids, Iowa Police Officer

Tony Vlachos Age: 39 Jersey City, N.J. Police Officer

Trish Hegarty Age: 48 Needham, Mass. Pilates Instructor

Yung "Woo" Hwang Age: 29 Newport Beach, Calif. Martial Arts Instructor

Brains Tribe

David Samson Age: 45 Plantation, Fla. President, Miami Marlins

Garrett Adelstein Age: 27 Santa Monica, Calif. Pro Poker Player

J'Tia Taylor Age: 31 Chicago, Ill. Nuclear Engineer

Kassandra "Kass" McQuillen Age: 41 Tehachapi, Calif. Attorney

Latasha "Tasha" Fox Age: 37 St. Louis, Mo. Accountant

Spencer Bledsoe Age: 21 Chicago, Ill. Student

Beauty Tribe

Alexis Maxwell Age: 21 Addison, Ill. Student

Brice Johnston Age: 27 Philadelphia, Penn. Social Worker

Jefra Bland Age: 22 Campbellsville, KY. Miss Kentucky Teen USA

Jeremiah Wood Age: 34 Dobson, N.C. Male Model

LJ McKanas Age: 34 Boston, Mass. Horse Trainer

Morgan McLeod Age: 21 San Jose, Calif. Ex-NFL Cheerleader

Read more: Listings - SURVIVOR on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listin...#ixzz2uSQ4CAiQ

1st Survivor I've watched in the last year (2 seasons)

I'm glad we're back to fresh all new contestants.
Old 02-26-14, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Survivor: Cagayan -- 2 Hour Premiere -- "Hot Girl with a Grudge" -- 2/26/14

I'm excited for a new season!
Old 02-26-14, 07:16 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boobies!
Old 02-26-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
Boobies!
Magnificent boobies!
Old 02-26-14, 07:28 PM
Suspended

Tony thinking people would think a cop is a good strategic player. Shocking, an asshole cop from Jersey.

Last edited by aktick; 02-26-14 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-26-14, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,306 Likes on 950 Posts

Garrett complaining that Survivor has too much surviving. Day 3
Old 02-26-14, 08:31 PM

I am praying to the Survivor gods that Morgan never gets voted off.

So. Much. Bouncing.
Old 02-26-14, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Bweebs. Epic Bweebs.
Old 02-26-14, 08:40 PM
Suspended

She will look perfect after a month out there.
Old 02-26-14, 08:55 PM
Suspended

Keep the crazy around, makes for better tv.
Old 02-26-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Look on Garrett's face: Priceless
Old 02-26-14, 09:01 PM
Suspended

Hopefully they don't completely do away with physical challenges already. Brains deserve to continue to be decimated.
Old 02-26-14, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot this was starting tonight so I missed the first 45 minutes....but that last tribal....WOW.
I can't believe Garrett is such an idiot!! And his eye rolls, hysterical.

"I dug up the immunity idol but forgot to bring it with me" COMEDY GOLD!!!
Old 02-26-14, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Feel bad for Spencer. Hopefully, he can survive a bit.

It was great seeing Garrett go after all his talk-block. It would have been hard for me to vote with J'Tia after she dumps all the food on the fire, but it has made things interesting.

Also nice to see David go right away, too. I've seen him on a few things and has always come off as an arrogant guy. Awesome to see him be the first out.
Old 02-26-14, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

It IS scary that J'Tia is a nuclear engineer. She got the crazy going on in this episode. Let me see, she was bossy, single-handedly lost the second immunity challenge by failing at a puzzle portion, and then dumped the rice in the fire when she thought she was going home. And, CRAY CRAY gets to stay because Survivor. Poor Spencer (because picked him for the Survivor Game)
Old 02-26-14, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

Was that the earliest ever found HII in a season of Survivor? Too bad dummy didn't use it. Garret could have brought an Agent Philip level craziness to the show if he had stayed.
Old 02-26-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Back after taking last season off (just couldn't stand so many of the returning players)

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Garrett complaining that Survivor has too much surviving. Day 3
I liked the line the Beauty team girl said while looking for the HII. Complaining that the hidden immunity idol was ... hidden.

Originally Posted by chowderhead
It IS scary that J'Tia is a nuclear engineer. She got the crazy going on in this episode. Let me see, she was bossy, single-handedly lost the second immunity challenge by failing at a puzzle portion, and then dumped the rice in the fire when she thought she was going home. And, CRAY CRAY gets to stay because Survivor. Poor Spencer (because picked him for the Survivor Game)
Maybe being a nuclear engineer isn't as hard as it sounds?

Giving brains a bad name Spencer and Kass seem like level-headed people though.
Old 02-26-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

That episode was certainly interesting.

Wonder if one of the remaining Brainy members will find Garrett's HHI back at camp.
Old 02-27-14, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

It's too bad David didn't stick around. He proved he was great at blindsides when they gutted the Marlins last offseason after they got that publicly financed stadium.

How bad do you have to be to go home over someone who is annoying around camp, singlehandedly lost the last immunity challenge, and dumped all your food in the fire. That Garrett is something else.
Old 02-27-14, 01:52 AM
Banned

Good to see new players, but they might as well merge next week. Or reshuffle.

One of the lamest concepts ever as far as execution. They've always cast photogenic bikini types...didn't need to invent this idiotic precept as an excuse.

The results of the challenges prove that one or both of the following must be true:

a) The casting was really bad (some on each tribe would fit in perfectly with others & no one would have noticed);

b) The challenges do not really test the different alleged strengths of each team.

Some of the 'brawny' people don't appear to be that strong (do tats give some superpower to women?); in fact, the pilates instructor looks as though she'd starve within a few days in an actual survival situation. You'd expect some dockworker-types to be there; instead, you get out-of-shape former athlete, some females with reasonable but not-extraordinary strength, etc. And many of the 'beauty' tribe look like they're in great physical shape (to be expected if they're models). Just because someone doesn't do grunt work for a living doesn't mean they aren't fit (and what does being a hairstylist have to do with "brawn"?). And how do Bryce and the two other guys qualify as 'beauty'?

Some of the 'beauties' aren't any better-looking than some others. J'Tai looks as though she could be a model, and so does Woo for the brawny tribe. Seriously...go back & look at the group photo and see whom you would have predicted would be on the tribes judging on looks alone. And the "brains" don't appear to be all that brainy (economics student? accountant? poker player?), especially in the common sense dept.

If they had cast people with great strength/stamina/endurance for the 'brawn' tribe (but who were only of average intelligence) along with pretty people with only average stamina/intelligence and brainy people with weak physical skills, it would make more sense. Instead, there's not that much differentiation among the tribes...a fact which Probst pointed out in the challenges when he said, "You'd think that..." I mean, how does the brains tribe get a lead in the physical part of a challenge only to be beaten by the brawny bunch and then caught and surpassed by the beauty bunch? You could chalk it up to pressure, but it would seem likely that the brainy bunch would handle the pressure of solving a puzzle better than the beauty bunch, at any rate.

At best, this would be a lame concept for the simple reason that 'beauty' would be of absolutely no advantage in anything so far. After all, how does a "beautiful" person use his/her attractiveness to manipulate other "beautiful" members of the same tribe? For now, at least, being pretty doesn't offer any advantage in camp or in challenges. Yet the pretty people keep trucking along. Just a silly concept from the start.

As long as the other tribes maintain a balance re: whom they sit out in upcoming challenges, the "Brains" are toast unless the producers issue a purely mental challenge (and, even then, they haven't yet demonstrated superior ability) or if they catch a lucky break. If they keep getting decimated since they're now much weaker physically than the other tribes, will the producers do an early re-shuffle and just abandon the whole idea?

We're just pretending that it's just three separate groups without any special differentiation. I just wish Probst would use the tribe names and quit yelling "Brains! Brawn! Beauty!" to remind us of the absurdity of it all. Especially when he calls out "Brains"...I think I'm watching Return of the Living Dead.

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-27-14 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-27-14, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It still baffles me how 2-3 days into the game people are more worried about day 39 then keeping a tribe strong so you have a better chance if they shuffle folks up (or when you get to the merge). I kind of hope the Brains tribe gets down to Jtia and someone else and the someone else volunteers to go home just to see what JTia would do by herself.

The mistake was made on the first vote and leaving an obvious woman's alliance a possibility even though I'm sure they thought JTia would be an easy second vote. And then of course the complete lack of social game when someone who burns all your food (and that may have been the most work she did around camp) is somehow still a more appealing option Now Jeff just needs to give JTia a hidden immunity idol have JTia "find" an idol.
Old 02-27-14, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Each week Jeff gives his thoughts on each episode. Sometimes it's intetesting.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/27/su...obst-premiere/
Old 02-27-14, 08:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Each week Jeff gives his thoughts on each episode. Sometimes it's intetesting.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/27/su...obst-premiere/
Humorous to watch Probst try to spin the 'beauty' angle. He acknowledges that most people discount the value of "beauty", then goes on to say that "beauty often opens doors, and open doors lead to experiences" (and maturation), yada yada. Probst says that they don't panic because usually everything "works out" for them... making them the ultimate optimists, I guess. Happy thoughts! And then says that the "social experiment" is working out "quite nicely."

Of course, his spinning doesn't exactly match up with the statement of one of that tribe saying how she always got what she wanted by getting others to do what she wants. Doesn't sound like the kind of "experience" that is going to help a bunch of narcissists win physical and mental challenges...unless that person picked up tips by osmosis while watching other people doing things for her.

He does admit that the supposedly-brainy tribe has made multiple amateurish mistakes that anyone familiar with Survivor history would avoid.

Maybe the Final Three will all be pretty ones, and the rest of the world will finally have to recognize our superiority in all areas, not just our beauty.
Old 02-27-14, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts

Once again, the Marlins finish dead last.

I feel bad for Spencer too. He obviously doesn't look much like him, but does anyone else get a Matt Damon vibe from his mannerisms? When he said "The fact that you are a nuclear engineer is really, really scary." during the final vote his speech pattern was very Damon-esque. Probably just me.

I agree that Morgan is the best eye candy this season - I'm actually not that impressed with the other females in the 'beauty' tribe. Like the one guy said, the other girls are cute, but Morgan is hot.
Old 02-27-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi
I am praying to the Survivor gods that Morgan never gets voted off.

So. Much. Bouncing.
Holy. Effing. Christ. If there was ever a time to rig Survivor, this is it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.