Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon Original: The After (from Chris Carter)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Synopsis: From Chris Carter, creator of The X-Files. Eight strangers are thrown together by mysterious forces and must help each other survive in a violent world that defies explanation.

Starring: Adrian Pasdar, an unrecognizable Sharon Lawrence, Jamie Kennedy, Arielle Kebbel (nude scene alert!), and mostly character actors.

My synopsis (mild spoilers): YAAS - Yet Another Apocalypse Show.
Spoiler:
An unknown (super)natural disaster has occurred in downtown Los Angeles. Is it an attack? Is it a natural disaster? We don't know ... we do know it sounds like explosions in the distance and for some strange reason causes everybody to empty out of the safety of buildings to wander around the street aimlessly. (Not like zombies; like bad extras.)

In the midst of this, the eight strangers wind up locked in the parking garage of an LA hotel. The group consists of a French actress (who will make you forget whats-her-name on Mad Men), a female cop, a clown (played by Jamie Kennedy), an obscenely rich old lady, an Aussie badass, an escaped convict (wrongfully convicted, of course), an LA attorney, and his mistress.

As the story unfolds and our band of misfits escape the parking garage, we begin to learn about their strange connections. The events of the pilot episode seem fairly mundane until the group come face to face with ... I said mild spoilers; I'm not giving it all away!

Has anybody else checked this out? I hesitated on watching until I knew if they were going to pick it up. I bit on the hook though ...

I am hoping this gets picked up! The pilot had its ups and downs, but the story and characters have me intrigued.

The good: In spots the production values and special effects are really good. Carter works the claustrophobic spaces rather well in the "more confined" scenes. The actors are an intriguing bunch. The story has me clamoring to know more -- it's Chris Carter for crying out loud!

The bad: The characters are stereotypes. The larger-scale scenes show the lower end of the production values. Some character actions (mostly the extras) seem unmotivated by reason and logic (a DVDTalk pet-peeve).

End judgment: I WANT TO BELIEVE ... this will get picked up and will be good. I was an avid X-Files watcher until I finally got fed up with too many mysteries being pounded into the story with no answers to be found anywhere. This could easily happen again in The After; but I would rather get frustrated than never know where this was headed.
Old 02-22-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Amazon Original: The After (from Chris Carter)

I liked it enough to watch more but the French accent got old quick.
Old 02-22-14, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Nevermind, wrong thread.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 02-22-14 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-22-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I liked the pilot. I would watch if more were made. Especially if Kebbel keeps showing off them titties.

Btw- there's already been some discussion on this in the streaming forum.
Old 02-23-14, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I tried a search but came up empty. Apparently the words "the" and "after" are too short and too common.

I didn't follow this whole Amazon Originals thing the first time they did it. When is Amazon supposed to announce which series will be made? About how long till the series actually hits?
Old 02-23-14, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I tried a search but came up empty. Apparently the words "the" and "after" are too short and too common.

I didn't follow this whole Amazon Originals thing the first time they did it. When is Amazon supposed to announce which series will be made? About how long till the series actually hits?
30 day test.

Sometime in March they will announce which series will be picked up. Most likely they will be filmed over the summer and premiere in the Fall.
Old 02-26-14, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess if it doesn't get picked up I will just chalk it up with X-Files. I never did finish it.
Old 03-03-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Sure the characters were annoyingly one-note and stock, but I liked it.
Old 03-11-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Looks like this will be greenlit into series: http://variety.com/2014/digital/news...ve-1201129456/
Old 03-11-14, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Looks like this will be greenlit into series: http://variety.com/2014/digital/news...ve-1201129456/

Sorry to hear it. This is one I absolutely hated. Fucking Chris Carter and his "clues" and "symbols" and other hints and bullshit that turn out to amount to absolutely nothing. No thanks.
Old 05-28-14, 04:42 PM
ATX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so...

its almost june, what ever happened with this? the pilot is still up but nothing else
Old 05-28-14, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX
so...

its almost june, what ever happened with this? the pilot is still up but nothing else
It just got greenlit a few months ago...they have to go off and shoot the episodes now, and Amazon will probably follow Netflix's lead and release them all at once. So don't look for anything before fall or even winter.
Old 01-05-15, 11:11 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Amazon Studios Scraps Series Order for Chris Carter’s ‘The After’:

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news...ve-1201392623/
Old 01-05-15, 11:42 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Amazon Studios Scraps Series Order for Chris Carter’s ‘The After’:

http://variety.com/2015/digital/news...ve-1201392623/
Aw man, I kinda liked that pilot. The hint of cool mythology at the end was something to look forward too.
Old 01-05-15, 12:33 PM

With the episodes already ordered and actors locked up, could a SyFy or another distributor pick it up? Not thinking it will happen but wondered how that works.
Old 01-05-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatlander
With the episodes already ordered and actors locked up, could a SyFy or another distributor pick it up? Not thinking it will happen but wondered how that works.
Yes, if the producers really wanted to keep it going. Amazon would make some percentage on the back end, even if it landed at another place.
Old 01-05-15, 01:10 PM

What the f***?!?!?!?!?!??!?!??!? (An SE Vader "Nooooooooooooooo!")

Are you ****ing kidding me?

Damn it. I was all set to post joyously, saying how incredibly bizarre this bump was: I *just* yesterday...*just last night*, not even 12 hours prior... had Googled this again to see if a release date had yet been made. Furthermore, I actually even discussed it a few hours earlier yesterday with the couple folks I had recommended it to, as well.

I watched the pilot immediately after the series pick up order was announced (not willing to get utterly screwed anew with another one and done, dangling cliffhanger nonsense - I still smart from things like Carnivale a decade later, one of my all-time faves.) and simply *loved* it. I'm a huge fan of Carter's, good and the bad, and this show was pure Chris Carter bliss. It was equal parts Hex (Brit show), Walking Dead, Last of Us (Game) mixed in with Carter's normal brilliance and plot devices, characterization and tropes.

The last ten minutes was just... freaking insane. That chase in the woods... what the hell was going on? (Possibly literally Hell, to boot. Oh, except we'll never know now.)

I thought to myself, "Self, if this only gets one episode, I'm going to lose my mind having all this lingering forever unanswered."

Every month since, I always make sure to Google for a release date - making the timing of this bump especially bizarre.

So what the freak? Absent normal TV concerns and ratings and the like, what the Hell possessed Amazon to even do this? This really pisses me off. Sorry, but for me, the rest of Amazon's original Prime content slate is garbage. I've had *more* than enough of this recent trend of stupidity with "oh so witty, quirky and strange critic darling comedies" or "intense, provocative and edgy drama" (ala House of Cards or Mad Men; HBO's lineup or Scandal/SR's various works!) to make me want to vomit. However heralded they might be for originality, bottom dollar is that it's a formulaic effort where everyone in Hollywood seems obsessed with mirroring a certain recipe of mature, "critical darling" efforts like those from AMC, HBO or Netflix.

This pilot was the *only* original content I've ever deigned to watch myself on Amazon Prime... I'll give anything that's actually original a chance, seeing as how I'm a massive fanboy of assorted horror, sci-fi and supernatural based fiction.

But right now I'm feeling scared for one other show: Alongside this series, I also search for news on Crackle's Chosen, Season 4. There ain't been much updating on that front for months, either - despite a commitment of picking up another season of that series almost a year ago. Now I wait for something like this to befall Chosen, too. Ugh. Wonderful start to a Monday - never mind a brand new year.

If I didn't have/get Prime only for the Amazon shipping discount aspect (Having signed up the very first week it was offered, and never looking back since with near instant free shipping on all of Amazon), this would almost certainly be enough to make me cancel and write them a very, very long letter explaining why. God, you can't even feel safe watching something after it's been picked up/renewed anymore! I guess you just need to wait until the series finale, then binge watch as long as you've read the show concluded satisfactorily
Old 01-05-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The streaming services are making very tentative efforts to produce original content. Unless something hits or becomes noteworthy almost immediately, I wouldn't get too attached to any of them.
Old 01-05-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Just a guess, but I think the only way Amazon would have nixed shooting additional episodes was not being able to agree on a budget. Unlikely, but maybe another scenario was that Amazon hated the scripts that Carter was turning in for production.

Bosch, the other new Amazon show that was greenlit, shot their entire 10 episode season over the summer.
Old 01-05-15, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

This sucks, but mainly because I wanted more Arielle Kebbel nudity.
Old 01-06-15, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
This sucks, but mainly because I wanted more Arielle Kebbel nudity.
She'll be in "Ballers" on HBO, so I guess there's still hope