Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Raid - remake (D: Hughes)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 06:16 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I'm sure everyone will not be happy about this.

Update 5:45 p.m.: Patrick Hughes' deal has closed and Screen Gems plans to start production this fall.

As “The Expendables 3″ buzz begins to build, filmmaker Patrick Hughes is in negotiations to direct “The Raid” remake for Screen Gems and XYZ films, TheWrap has learned.

XYZ Films will produce with Gareth Huw Evans, who directed “The Raid” and its ambitious sequel “The Raid 2,” which hits theaters in March.

Brad Inglesby (“Out of the Furnace”) wrote the script.

Casting has yet to begin but the Hemsworth brothers have been mentioned as possible targets for the hard-hitting action movie.

The original “Raid” followed an Indonesian S.W.A.T. team tasked with storming a building where a violent gangster and his thugs reign over innocent residents. One young cop has a mission of his own – to rescue his drug-dealing brother from the chaos inside.

The remake will feature a similar storyline, though it may be difficult for Hollywood stars to perform the brutal hand-to-hand fight scenes and other stunts with the same intensity as the original film’s martial arts experts.

Hughes has been rumored to be Screen Gems’ top choice for several weeks, as first mentioned by TheWrap during a visit to Shia LaBeouf’s art exhibit #IAmSorry.

Hughes is an acclaimed commercials director whose Ryan Kwanten movie “Red Hill” earned him the “Expendables 3″ job. He’s repped by WME, Brillstein Entertainment Partners and Gang, Tyre, Ramer & Brown.
Old 02-21-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
re: Zeno -- The Raid "remake" (D: Carnahan) S: Grillo

It was already remade with Dredd.
Old 02-21-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Why wouldn't they just have Gareth Evans remake his own movie?

I didn't care for The Raid (or Dredd) but I can see why they'd target it for remake.
Old 02-21-14, 08:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

sure - why not?
Old 02-21-14, 08:58 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Why wouldn't they just have Gareth Evans remake his own movie?

I didn't care for The Raid (or Dredd) but I can see why they'd target it for remake.
Cuz he didn't want to. They asked him and he said no. He wanted to make The Raid 2 and more Indonesian stuff. I can't remember what he said... It's on the BD.

Plus he had kind of joked that Indonesia has a work ethic he likes. No unions. Lol. White man works the slit eyes as much as he could.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 02-21-14 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-21-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Considering the original had a decent run in American theaters, as the sequel likely will, I really don't see the point of this.
Old 02-21-14, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Considering the original had a decent run in American theaters, as the sequel likely will, I really don't see the point of this.
Same.
Old 02-21-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Despite my not liking the first movie at all, it's obvious it resonated well with US audiences (as will undoubtedly the sequel). So I agree that a remake is a pointless expense.
Old 02-21-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
A friend of mine was reticent to watch the original because of the subtitles. I told him for God's sake, it's a martial arts movie, the plot isn't difficult to figure out.
Old 02-21-14, 09:56 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The sad truth is that even a shitty remake would make more money simply because it's in English and (presumably) has recognizable stars.
Old 02-21-14, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Looks like whatever cut of Expendables 3 was shown to executives they liked it enough to give the remake gig to Hughes. Fuck it, he may be the new action director to go to for big budget action flicks.
Old 02-21-14, 09:57 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

nah, but at this point, who gives a fuck!
Old 02-21-14, 10:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

We need this!
Old 02-21-14, 10:16 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Ugh. I'll see it, but I have no reason to believe that the choreography and camerawork will be nearly as exceptional as in the original. I also expect to see more guns, less martial arts, and some boobs.
Old 02-21-14, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

This is especially stupid due to the sequel for The Raid coming soon, which looks to amplify everything from the first movie by about 100.
Old 02-22-14, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, but it's subtitled man! Who wants to read when watching a movie! That's like, work, man! Next thing you know movies might offer actual involving storylines that are memorable when you leave the cinema and may even be challenging intellectually! This must be remade in English so as to avoid subtitles. The plot of the original was too complicated!

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 02-22-14 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-22-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What the hell is an "in loving" storyline?
Old 02-22-14, 01:56 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think he meant real fucking.
Old 02-22-14, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not approve.
Old 02-22-14, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Starring Channing Tatum.
Old 02-22-14, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Starring Channing Tatum.
As long as Jonah Hill plays his brother (or the Al Leong lookalike), it might actually be awesome.
Old 02-22-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
nah, but at this point, who gives a fuck!
You are just mad that you got beat starting a thread about it.

Didn't like the first one so means nothing to me either.
Old 02-22-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I think he meant real fucking.
No, I meant "involving." Damn autocorrect.
Old 05-28-14, 11:07 AM

Fans of the cult classic “The Raid” may have to wait a little bit longer to see how the Screen Gems remake turns out.

Sources close to the production tell Variety that plans to begin shooting the action pic in September have been pushed back and pre-production has been halted. Insiders add that the film isn’t being put into turnaround and that the plan is to still shoot in the first quarter of 2015.

The film was getting close to a greenlight as execs were zeroing on an ensemble with sources indicating that Luke Evans, Anthony Mackie, Frank Grillo and Ethan Hawke were frontrunners for roles. However, other insiders said no casting decisions had been made and no offers were sent out. It’s possible that one reason for the delay is that producers are seeking a bigger name.

Patrick Hughes is still on board to direct.

Brad Ingelsby penned the script. XYZ Films is producing the pic.

In the 2011 original, an elite Indonesian S.W.A.T. team raids a building where a gangster and his thugs are embedded and chaos ensues. The remake will have a similar storyline.
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/sc...ke-1201190302/

It was recently announced that you'd be directing THE RAID remake. What can you tell us about that?

It’s a really exciting project. Actually, I had the pleasure of catching up with Gareth [Evans, director of the original film] the other night in L.A., who’s EP [Executive Producer] on it. This one is a little more broader canvas. It’s a very different film, very different style of filmmaking. It centers around a DEA FAST (Foreign-Deployed Advisory and Support Team) Team that was formed during the Bush administration when the crossover between terrorism and the narcotics trade were so closely intertwined that they created a task force – I believe there are six teams that operate – they’re sort of like Navy SEALS but they operate in the world of narcotics. And, these teams work across borders so it centers around a team that goes across the border and, y’know, all hell breaks loose. One thing that blew me away with THE RAID, along with everyone else, was – you know, what was phenomenal – it wasn’t cut up, y’know. You could clearly tell that there weren’t stunt doubles involved because you weren’t cutting around the action, it was done in “oners” and that comes down to rigorous training and having incredible fight choreography play out. We’re just in the middle of casting right now.
Old 05-28-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Hmmm, that could be interesting, but there's no way they would make the fighting as high speed and brutal as the originals. They've really got their work cut out for them but that cast sounds great and I'm totally down with Hughes directing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.