Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-14-14, 10:48 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 26-year-old actress told the crowd "I’m here today because I am gay," adding "and because maybe I can make a difference. To help others have an easier and more hopeful time. Regardless, for me, I feel a personal obligation and a social responsibility."

Page was speaking at the Human Rights Campaign's THRIVE conference, an event supporting LGBTQ youth. Page spoke of the pressures of a life in the spotlight, and the toll that celebrity can take on one's life.

"It’s weird because here I am, an actress, representing -- at least in some sense -- an industry that places crushing standards on all of us," the star of the upcoming movie "X-Men: Days of Future Past" said. "Not just young people, but everyone. Standards of beauty. Of a good life. Of success. Standards that, I hate to admit, have affected me."

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Page expressed displeasure with gender stereotyping, and pointed to examples of "courage all around us," including "football hero Michael Sam," "Orange Is the New Black" star Laverne Cox and musicians Tegan and Sara Quinn.

The Human Rights Campaign posted Page's remarks online. Watch the amazing warm reception to her coming out at minute 5:20 in the video posted by the Human Rights Campaign.

Page has previously advocated for women's empowerment and lamented sexism in the entertainment industry.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...usaolp00000009

Popular Reply

03-18-21, 06:44 PM
Decker
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts
Re: Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

I will never forget the first time I had a trans girl patient like 15 years ago. She was like seven. She was very nice and happy, but she was insistent she was a girl. Didn't want anyone to call her a boy. She would cry and say "I'm a girl!". And that's when it hit me and I finally understood. Clearly that's not a sexual desire thing. And it's not driven by the intention to compete in girl's athletics. Sometimes what a person just knows their gender is just isn't what their chromosomes say they are. And you know what? That's okay. Why force them to live their life a lie just because you feel it's better? How does that benefit them?
I am proud of Elliot for speaking out, and helping others understand. No matter how much I enjoyed Juno (and I loved that movie), I'm happier knowing he is living his best life now. Was a little sad to hear he got divorced already.
Old 02-14-14, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
This isn't too big of a surprise right? I think there's been rumors of it for awhile and she just never gave a direct answer.
Old 02-14-14, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Yeah, no surprise. Good for her.
Old 02-14-14, 10:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

... and in other news the sky is blue
Old 02-14-14, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Some of the worst kept news...
Old 02-14-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I guess if that helps her in some way... what she does privately isn't really something I don't think a lot of people were clamoring to know. But it has been awhile since she's gotten any headlines for roles. Looking forward to when things like this aren't even a blip on the radar...
Old 02-14-14, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I view Hard Candy completely different now.
Old 02-14-14, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

I view Trailer Park Boys differently now.
Old 02-14-14, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
I guess if that helps her in some way... what she does privately isn't really something I don't think a lot of people were clamoring to know.
Yeah, no one is curious about the personal life of movie stars. Especially attractive young lesbians.
Old 02-14-14, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

That's too bad. She's a real cutie.
Old 02-15-14, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

This is all gonna change when Ben Affleck gives her a serious deep dicking.
The following users liked this post:
Jack Straw (12-01-20)
Old 02-15-14, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I knew a long time ago. Here's my post to prove it: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11432517-post38.html
Old 02-15-14, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess if that helps her in some way... what she does privately isn't really something I don't think a lot of people were clamoring to know.
Page was speaking at the Human Rights Campaign's THRIVE conference, an event supporting LGBTQ youth.
And maybe when discrimination is a thing of the past and equality is a reality, things like this will just be a blip on the radar.
Old 02-15-14, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
That's too bad. She's a real cutie.
Were you planning on asking her out?
Old 02-15-14, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Yeah for some reason this doesn't really surprise me either. I always kind of thought she might be but I don't really care either way. She's still a good young actress.
Old 02-15-14, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
And maybe when discrimination is a thing of the past and equality is a reality, things like this will just be a blip on the radar.
Regardless of the politics...it just seems weird that this kind of an announcement is supposed to be met with a congrats of some kind. My reaction is total indifference. (and isn't that the way it should be?) I actually can understand the significance of a first-time in an industry type of thing - such as we had this week with the college football player coming out. But an actress? No interest...
Old 02-15-14, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah for some reason this doesn't really surprise me either. I always kind of thought she might be but I don't really care either way. She's still a good young actress.
Agree. I always got that vibe. Never expected her to come out though. Which is a brave move. Sure, actresses (and even female singers) have it easier than actors (and male singers). But it still must be a very difficult decision. So for that, I applaud her. I'm not a fan of the movie "Juno", but she she's an extremely talented actress and very cute. And a great public speaker. Was very impressed by her very moving speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hlCEIUATzg
Old 02-15-14, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So she doesn't get dick but just scissors? That's cool i'd like to see that.
Old 02-15-14, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah yes, duff beer arrives just in time to raise the level of discourse.
Old 02-15-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regardless of the politics...it just seems weird that this kind of an announcement is supposed to be met with a congrats of some kind. My reaction is total indifference. (and isn't that the way it should be?) I actually can understand the significance of a first-time in an industry type of thing - such as we had this week with the college football player coming out. But an actress? No interest...
I'll be sure to let her know that you weren't interested. Maybe she'll say "oh, sorry, nevermind then."
Old 02-15-14, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 791 Posts

I'm much more interested in the bedroom antics of Olivia Thirlby
Old 02-15-14, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As the article stated, she decided to talk about her life experiences at "an event supporting LGBTQ youth." Someone who's famous and successful can obviously be very inspirational and potentially a role model (perhaps even a life-saving one) to youths who are part of the same minority.

Since she's famous, the press picked up the story and ran it. There's no indication that she expected "congrats" of any kind.

Though it is interesting that you always chime in with the same sentiment on threads related to this topic for which you have "no interest."
Old 02-15-14, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Ah yes, duff beer arrives just in time to raise the level of discourse.
I swear this forum has been taken over by a bunch of horny 20-something wannabe players.
Old 02-15-14, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fantastic speech!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1hlCEIUATzg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-15-14, 03:02 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess that's cool to know. I never gave a fuck about her personal life. Though I do really enjoy her work. It's not a big deal to me to know her sexuality but I do get the impact of her doing something like this. Good for her. I will detest how the media will make a big deal about this somehow. Gotta love our culture.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.