Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

90s Nickelodeon Show

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
90s Nickelodeon Show

I was on Retrojunk and found someone wanting to know about an old Nickelodeon cartoon that sounds really familiar, but neither of us can place it. Here is that post. Hopefully someone here knows what show this is....

Trying to find information on this cartoon, which aired during Nickelodeon's Special Delivery programming block in the 80s or possibly early 90s. The fact that it aired on Special Delivery makes me think that it was not part of a series, but either a feature or a pilot. The cartoon was about cat and dog kids going to school together in the city. They get into an argument about whether cats or dogs are better and have a competition to settle it. I think it may have been titled "the competition," "the contest," "the race," or something like that. The animation style, as best as I can remember, was similar to DIC cartoons like Heathcliff. (I don't know if DIC actually had anything to do with it.) The characters themselves were similar to the Tiny Toons in terms of their proportions.

I don't remember much of the opening to the cartoon... there was a song, but I don't think there were lyrics, just music. However, there was one part where the characters pop into view and go "Ruff! Ruff! Ruff! Ruff! Meow! Meow! Meow! Meow!"

Story...
The cartoon begins with the characters, four cats and four dogs, arriving at their school, which is actually inside a broken-down school bus. They are arguing and playing pranks on each other until their teacher arrives. The teacher is a large bird... I think a goose, or maybe an owl. After school, the kids begin arguing again about whether cats or dogs are better. They decide to have a competition to settle things. I don't remember exactly what the competition is, but I think it's a race or a scavenger hunt. Eventually, they are all racing to the top of a building, and two of the characters (one of the cats and one of the dogs) decide to try the elevator. They end up getting stuck, and all the kids have to work together to rescue them. After that, there was a second story that I don't remember as well. I think their teacher takes them on a field trip, and one of the cats falls through the ground and discovers something of historical significance.

Characters...
I remember more about the cats than the dogs.
- A musically-inclined cat named Piccolo. (My favorite, and the only one who's name I remember.) He was brown and white with a stripey tail, and his voice sounded kind of like Marvin the Martian. He could play his tail like a guitar or violin. (I drew him, from memory, here: http://www.swiftsden.com/art/piccolo.png)
- A gray cat that talked like a beatnik.
- A mouthy girl cat who was the "leader" of the cats.
- A fat, lazy cat who might have been named "Dozer," "Snoozer," "Doozer," or something like that. His voice sounded like he was always yawning.
- The "leader" dog that I don't remember much about. I think he might have been a typical 80s "cool guy," but I might be getting him confused with Cooler of Pound Puppies.
- A girl dog with a southern accent.
- A fat bulldog obsessed with eating. He was the one to get stuck in the elevator, along with the lazy cat.
- There was a fourth dog, but I don't remember anything about him.

So far, I have not been able to find any trace of information on the internet. The only possible mention is in this very forum, on a thread about Special Delivery in general: "I remember a cartoon about cats and dogs fighting... something like that? 'Cats are the Best...No, Dogs are the Best' That's alls I remember about that..." (http://www.retrojunk.com/community/p...5702#post87344) Would like to find out more about it, as I remember I liked it a lot when I was a kid. We did have it recorded on VHS at one point. I've searched and searched for the tape, but I assume it was thrown out or recorded over long ago. Would be a shame if it was lost forever.
Old 02-12-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: 90s Nickelodeon Show

mod note: Moving to TV talk