Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "Full Boyle" - 2/11/14

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-14, 07:07 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "Full Boyle" - 2/11/14

CHARLES GOES "FULL BOYLE" ON AN ALL-NEW "BROOKLYN NINE-NINE" TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 11, ON FOX

Detective Boyle's new romance has upped his swagger, but Jake intervenes before his colleague goes "Full Boyle" and gets too serious, too soon, with his girlfriend (guest star Marilu Henner). Meanwhile, Rosa and Amy have trouble taking a costumed citizen crime-fighter seriously, and Captain Holt has a new opponent in the all-new "Full Boyle" episode of BROOKLYN NINE-NINE airing Tuesday, Feb. 11 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (BRK-117) (TV-14 D, L)
Old 02-12-14, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts
Re: Brooklyn Nine-Nine - "Full Boyle" - 2/11/14

Another winning episode. This show is really finding its stride in the second half of the season. Lots of good bits, but one of my favorites was Peralta describing himself as the "angel of love" like a cheesy chick flick and asking Santiago "You'd see that movie, wouldn't you?" and she nods yes
Old 02-12-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

He was Canadian, so he said was probably his fault he got robbed and apologized for wasting my time.
Oh Canada. Truly Odie to America's Garfield.

Old 02-12-14, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not one to get annoyed with cliche sitcom plots. It's almost always about the jokes but it can get annoying if it's too obvious. I thought I had this episode pegged from the moment Peralta brought up the idea of a double date. I thought for sure the blind date would turn out to be hot, Peralta would ignore Boyle and end up with both guys not getting the girl. So I was pleasantly surprised when they didn't go that route and instead had Peralta stay loyal to Boyle and rude to his date. Made way for some unique jokes.

This show is great. I don't know how ratings are but FOX seems to be trying to promote it. So I'm hoping this will be around for awhile.
Old 02-12-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm kind of sorry to see Boyle hook up with Marilu Henner. I was enjoying his bumbling attempts at wooing Rosa. That plot was cut way too short.
Old 02-12-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm not one to get annoyed with cliche sitcom plots. It's almost always about the jokes but it can get annoying if it's too obvious. I thought I had this episode pegged from the moment Peralta brought up the idea of a double date. I thought for sure the blind date would turn out to be hot, Peralta would ignore Boyle and end up with both guys not getting the girl. So I was pleasantly surprised when they didn't go that route and instead had Peralta stay loyal to Boyle and rude to his date. Made way for some unique jokes.

This show is great. I don't know how ratings are but FOX seems to be trying to promote it. So I'm hoping this will be around for awhile.
Ratings are absolutely abysmal. I hope it sticks around, it's one of my two favorite shows of the fall/spring season.
Old 02-12-14, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I'm kind of sorry to see Boyle hook up with Marilu Henner. I was enjoying his bumbling attempts at wooing Rosa. That plot was cut way too short.
I'm pretty sure they're not done with Boyle and Rosa. We certainly didn't see Rosa's reaction to Boyle getting engaged in this episode.
Old 02-13-14, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I loved Holt's gravitas.

Originally Posted by RichC2
Ratings are absolutely abysmal.
Really? That's too bad. I bet if it were a CBS sitcom with puns a studio audience, it would get huge numbers... At least Fox is giving it more of chance than is typical for them.
Old 02-13-14, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Ratings are absolutely abysmal. I hope it sticks around, it's one of my two favorite shows of the fall/spring season.
The ratings are fine for renewal, especially combined with the Golden Globes win. I'm surprised they decided to air new episodes of New Girl and Brooklyn this week. Idol takes over next week.
Old 02-13-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you wanted them to hook up sometime in the first season, get married in the second, have a kid in the third, another kid in the fourth, split up in the fifth, and eventually get back together in the sixth and final season?
Old 02-13-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I think they just need to drop the Boyle/Rosa idea. I don't see them ever working together. Sometimes things like that just need to be forgotten, like Leslie and Brandwowitz or whatever his name was on Parks & Rec.
Old 02-13-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

"We're both Carries!"
Old 02-13-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
The ratings are fine for renewal, especially combined with the Golden Globes win. I'm surprised they decided to air new episodes of New Girl and Brooklyn this week. Idol takes over next week.
It scores on average a 1.4 to 1.5 with around 3m viewers, with this weeks 1.2 being its low. That isn't generally considered renewal territory, though I'm sure it gets a DVR boost. These days a 2.0 is a lock for renewal (unless it's on CBS) for a sitcom, below that is bubble territory (just a few years ago, dropping below a 2.0 was instant death).
Old 02-13-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

This is the type of comedy that will likely do well once it has some exposure in streaming repeats. Fox needs to build its audience slowly. Years ago, shows didn't need to be immediate successes.

While I'm not a big fan of the stunt, some choice guest stars would probably help promote the show.
Old 02-13-14, 01:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe Lord & Miller could get Tatum & Hill to do a "21 Jump Street" crossover.
Old 02-13-14, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
So you wanted them to hook up sometime in the first season, get married in the second, have a kid in the third, another kid in the fourth, split up in the fifth, and eventually get back together in the sixth and final season?
No, I was thinking it would be a running gag at least into next season, and then she softens and starts seeing his good qualities. And then pass the tissues and cue the romantic music.
Old 02-14-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I was thinking it would be a running gag at least into next season, and then she softens and starts seeing his good qualities. And then pass the tissues and cue the romantic music.
It's not like that still can't happen.
Old 02-14-14, 09:26 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 918 Likes on 775 Posts

this was a stellar ep. very funny. i'm going full Boyle!!!