Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Men, Women & Children (2014, J. Reitman) S: Sandler, Garner, DeWitt, Norris, Greer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Men, Women & Children (2014, J. Reitman) S: Sandler, Garner, DeWitt, Norris, Greer

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 09:09 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Jason Reitman's Men, Women & Children has added Emma Thompson, Judy Greer and Breaking Bad star Dean Norris ahead of the start of principal photography in Austin, Texas.

The film, which also stars Adam Sandler, Jennifer Garner and Rosemarie DeWitt, is based on Chad Kultgen’s novel of the same name. Reitman is directing from a screenplay he co-wrote with Erin Cressida Wilson.

The ensemble pic follows a group of high school teens and their parents as they attempt to navigate the many ways the Internet has changed their relationships, their communication, their self-images and their love lives.

The cast also includes several young up-and-comers who will play the high schoolers, including Timothee Chalamet (Interstellar), Olivia Crocicchia (Terri), Kaitlyn Dever (Short Term 12), Ansel Elgort (The Fault in Our Stars), Katherine C. Hughes (Roadies), Elena Kampouris (Labor Day) and Travis Tope (The Town that Dreaded Sundown).

Reitman is producing the feature with Helen Estabrook via their Right of Way Films banner. Michael Beugg and Mason Novick will executive produce. Paramount announced that principal photography began Monday.

Rounding out the cast are David Denman, Jason Douglas, Dennis Haysbert, Shane Lynch, Will Peltz and J.K. Simmons.

Thompson will narrate the film. The British actress stars in Disney's Saving Mr. Banks, which is in limited release. She's repped by WME.

Greer's upcoming films include Tomorrowland and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. She's repped by CAA, Principato-Young Entertainment and Felker Toczek Gellman Suddleson.

Norris, who starred as Hank Schrader on AMC's hit series Breaking Bad, also stars on TV series Under the Dome. He's repped by CAA and Industry Entertainment.
Filming started in mid-Decemeber
Old 01-28-14, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Men, Women & Children (2014, J. Reitman) S: Sandler, Garner, DeWitt, Thompson, No

Nice to see some new developments on not only this but The Possibilities as well. I really enjoy Reitman's films so I look forward to both (as well as Labor Day this Friday).
Old 08-19-14, 11:35 AM

Re: Men, Women & Children (2014, J. Reitman) S: Sandler, Garner, DeWitt, Thompson, No

<iframe width="570" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lR_lKig3toQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-19-14, 11:58 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Somehow never even knew Reitman was doing this film. Hell...didn't even know Labor Day was by him till like a month ago. That one passed me unnoticed somehow.
Old 08-19-14, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Somehow never even knew Reitman was doing this film. Hell...didn't even know Labor Day was by him till like a month ago. That one passed me unnoticed somehow.
He's starting to branch out from his usual style. Labor Day wasn't fantastic, just OK, IMO. But I appreciated the change of pace for him.
Old 08-19-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Meh... it looks a like a cross between "Little Children" (and not just because of the title) and "Disconnect".

Hope this is better than "Labor Day".
Old 08-19-14, 12:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

didn't look too bad.
Old 08-19-14, 12:27 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Really liked Labor Day. But I won't watch anything with Sand-nuts.
Old 08-19-14, 12:30 PM
Banned

Sand-nuts?
Old 08-19-14, 12:54 PM
RIP

That's what I call Sandler. Watching his movies is about as pleasant as sucking sweaty nuts.
Old 08-19-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
That's what I call Sandler. Watching his movies is about as pleasant as sucking sweaty nuts.
I'm not gonna ask how you know.
Old 08-19-14, 01:03 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by Coral
I'm not gonna ask how you know.
40 years of rock 'n' roll, dude.
Old 08-19-14, 01:19 PM
Banned

But sweaty balls, man.
Old 08-19-14, 01:23 PM
RIP

You put enough chemical substances in your body, cock and balls start to look like pussy.

Never said I wasn't ashamed.
Old 08-19-14, 01:28 PM
Banned

...I got nothing. I'm...I'm. I need a Long Island now.
Old 08-19-14, 01:33 PM
RIP

Shit. Me too.
Old 08-19-14, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I need a neuralizer, that's what I need. Or some damn eyeball bleach which cleans things out of my brain and lets me unsee them.

If this is a comedy-drama, that trailer isn't aging up anything the slightest but comedic, it looks outright depressing. Looks interesting, but I always find these "existentially empty middle-class people" storylines a little navel-having. Yes, the suburbs are Purgatorial to some, how is this newsworthy? I think it's hard to come across a new way to approach the material after the wave of these in the 90s. I think the last film of his I saw was Juno. He's clearly branched out quite a bit since then.
Old 09-03-14, 04:13 PM

Old 01-16-15, 08:26 AM

Saw this last night. It wasn't bad or anything... but I think this is probably my least favorite of Reitman's work. Some stuff did strike with me emotionally, so it was effective in that sense. The cast is all very good.

Fuck Adam Sandler for being so good in dramas and making his shit comedies. I think he did some real fine work here in the small role he had.

Kaitlyn Dever is great in everything I see her in. Just a really spectacular young actress, IMO.

I didn't care much for Ansel Egort in Divergent, but he was really good in TFIOS and this. I'm surprised he doesn't have a shit load of movies on his plate for the future.

There's a blonde Lolita type in the film. I go to look her up and realize it's the girl who played Leary's youngest daughter on Rescue Me.

I read this only made like a million in it's theatrical release. Poor Reitman. I appreciate him trying new things and different styles though.

Last edited by dex14; 01-16-15 at 08:36 AM.