TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Supernatural -- "Sharp Teeth" -- 1/28/14

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Supernatural -- "Sharp Teeth" -- 1/28/14

Synopsis:

"Sharp Teeth" - (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

GARTH RETURNS - After finding out that Garth (guest star DJ Qualls) is in the hospital, Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) go to check on him. Still carrying the guilt over Kevin, Dean lays into Garth about disappearing and demands to know where he's been. Garth makes an excuse and then hightails it away from the guys. Confused as to why Garth would run from them, Sam and Dean do some investigating and are stunned by what they find. John Showalter directed the episode written by Adam Glass (912).

Episode 12 of 23
Old 01-28-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Supernatural -- "Sharp Teeth" -- 1/28/14

You know I jumped off the show in season seven due to the dramatic fall in quality. I ended up picking up season 8 on sale in the fall and the turn around was epic. That really seemed like the beginning of a three season story. So I caught up with season 9 in the last three days lol.

Any word on a season 10 renewal?
Old 01-28-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
You know I jumped off the show in season seven due to the dramatic fall in quality. I ended up picking up season 8 on sale in the fall and the turn around was epic. That really seemed like the beginning of a three season story. So I caught up with season 9 in the last three days lol.

Very likely to be renewed. The CW Prez said that a week or so ago at the TCA's.
Old 01-28-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Very likely to be renewed. The CW Prez said that a week or so ago at the TCA's.
Cool. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-28-14, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981

I think this series stays on the air as long as Sam and Dean don't get tired of the roles.
Old 01-29-14, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, season 10... it's hard to believe. I can remember watching the pilot on a Tuesday night, except it only seems like months instead of a decade. All the moreso when one recalls that this show seemed exceedingly likely to be having its final season starting... what, Season 4? Jared and Jensen's burgeoning film careers, showrunner upheavals and so on. Has this show ever had a renewal for more than a single season, for that matter?

This is the literal "little show that could." Phenomenal that a show with so much against it (the niche genre; cast of basically only two guys, both irreplaceable spelling doom if only one ever left; heck, even surviving the now ancient UPN and WB merger; repeated showrunner changes; at times airing in fatal timeslots/nights, or against ridiculous competition; just the fact that a show like this has managed to recreate itself time and again, getting out of seasonal arcs that seemed to be untoppable, all the while remaining fresh and intriguing; so on and so forth, ad infinitum.) has not only survived, but thrived.

So won't a renewal for a S10 give this a coveted record that many a show now knocked on the door of, but always fell short of? I recall first the X-Files, then Stargate SG-1, most recently Smallville - all vying to surpass a nine season record for American, fantasy/sci-fi/supernatural television shows, all dying and failing to live beyond the seemingly deadly ninth season for sci-fi/fantasy episodic US content. I'm glad it'll be this show to do it - one of my favorite shows ever, exceptional quality in all regards - writing, acting, directing, sets/make-up/SFX, heck, even fan interaction and engagement. Jared and Jensen both seem like genuinely awesome guys, and behind the scenes stuff shows the entire crew is about as close to a family as an entertainment production gets.

Except... screw Jeffrey Dean Morgan for never deigning to make a reappearance as John. This show and that role resuscitated his career, and in almost a decade the best he's managed is to *literally* phone it in, a short voice acting bit of dialogue? Seriously, screw him so much. The stuff we could get with John, Sam and Dean? Such a wealth of riches exists there... and fine, he doesn't want to make the commitment? Just one single episode, one week out of his life, a one and done fantasy/illusion/dream where it's the "What if John never died" show. Argh, riles me just thinking about it - the sole reason I never even tried to watch Magic City, considering comments many have made about Morgan and Supernatural, including Robert Singer saying, "Without telling tales out of school, Jeff saying he’d be willing to come back and how much Jeff would want to come back are completely two different stories."

C'est la vie, I suppose - there's always next year, right? And with Supernatural, that statement is truer than ever as the show continues surviving despite expectations, refusing to fade away year after year after year.

Last edited by Coladar1; 01-29-14 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-30-14, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Jeffrey Dean Morgan is out of this show's budget at this point. Supernatural was lucky in some regards because it brought a different, male audience to the CW for many years, standing alone. I think they were afraid to cancel it and get solely known as a network for girls.
Old 01-30-14, 04:46 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Jeffrey Dean Morgan is out of this show's budget at this point. Supernatural was lucky in some regards because it brought a different, male audience to the CW for many years, standing alone. I think they were afraid to cancel it and get solely known as a network for girls.
if Clooney could come back to ER, then JDM could do the fans a solid and come back once.