Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Series 8 - Capaldi's Suit Revealed

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-14, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doctor Who Series 8 - Capaldi's Suit Revealed

Only Doctor Who could engender discussion and excitement about a character's clothing that doesn't come across as being totally nuts and obsessive - given the history and iconic nature of that suit. I think that speaks wonders for the uniqueness and quality of the show, but I digress.

They just - finally - released a promo photo of Capaldi in his Doctor's costume. And... it looks bloody awesome! Judge for yourself: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25921603

Striking, stylish, unique... perfect. Love the way the colors work together, and I really love the style of the suit. Modern, yet timeless at the same time - perfect balance.

I'm not some huge Capaldi fan, heck, I haven't really seen him acting in anything yet save for the 50th and Xmas special. He certainly got bonus points for his relationship with Craig Ferguson, but that was about it. That said, I'm incredibly excited to see his Doctor. More than that, I think he could well make the absolute best Doctor thus far. Part of it is certainly them habing gone back to a relatively older actor and all that entails (No more lovey dovey with female companions, in all likelihood), but he's also got that 'look', attitude and charm. It's going to have to be truly atrocious garbage for me not to be blown away in light of what we've seen so far.

All of which has me crazy excited for S8 - like most others, I thought Smith was going to be horrible as the Doctor when first announced. Too young, not the right look, whatever. Then he turns out to be my favorite Doctor so far. If the same holds true for Capaldi, considering where I started and ended with my opinion about Matt Smith, I might literally have my brain blown, exploding from sheer awesomeness by the time the 12th (or 13th, 14th, 99th, whatever.) Doctor regenerates.
Old 01-27-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Doctor Who Series 8 - Capaldi's Suit Revealed

Old 01-27-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

^

Not feeling the suit or the cheesy pose. Not that either will matter anyway. All that matters is his performance and the scripts he gets.
Old 01-28-14, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I see nothing wrong with it. At least it's not TOO small like Matt Smiths outfit for most of his run. I don't even like seeing tight or too small clothes on other people.
Old 01-28-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Both the pose and the outfit are obvious nods toward Pertwee...I like the look.
Old 01-28-14, 09:06 AM

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I don't watch the show (yes, yes, I know I would like it, I just haven't had time to sit down and go for it) though I wonder how the (new?) fanbase will do with an older doctor, especially if they never watched the classic series.
Old 01-28-14, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Both the pose and the outfit are obvious nods toward Pertwee...I like the look.
My first thought when I saw the picture.

I was a fan of the "classic" series and I am really stoked to think that the show may return to some of those "classic" roots. The show needs to have less romance and more friendship between the Doctor and his companions. Looks like this might be a step in the right direction.

Doug
Old 01-28-14, 10:16 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
I see nothing wrong with it. At least it's not TOO small like Matt Smiths outfit for most of his run. I don't even like seeing tight or too small clothes on other people.
Because it's 2014 and that's how people dress.
Old 01-28-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was because I was fat and nothing fit right.
Old 01-28-14, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cannot wait until the Daleks threaten him and he signs off with "okay, fuckity bye"
Old 01-28-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Some rumors on the upcoming episodes:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/other_news/news/?a=93516

Spoiler:
I'm a bit skeptical... but the Pompeii callback seems like something Moffat would do.

Charles Dance as the Master? Sounds good. Allegedly, this was accidentally leaked on the official Doctor Who twitter feed.

http://thebritishcupoftea.deviantart...ance-429681583
Old 01-28-14, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
^

Not feeling the suit or the cheesy pose. Not that either will matter anyway. All that matters is his performance and the scripts he gets.
Well, this is a still promo photo - what's more, it's essentially our first glance into Capaldi's Doctor's character and personality. So they had good reason, and clearly did, attempt to put as much oomph into a single image as they could; trying to give as much of a glimpse into a complex character in a still frame as they possibly could. So explians the overboard, bordering on cheesy pose. I would read next to nothing into it, or the implications it'll have for Series 8.

Plus, lest we forget, this turn to seriousness and hardcore sci-fi is not the way things have always been. Look at McCoy's tenure - the cheese was so utterly horrible as to be unwatchable at times. They can pay homage to, and even incorporate some of the camp factor because that's where the show came from, but without turning away from the grittier, darker and more intelligent stories the show has aired since the reboot.

If having used younger, hipper actors for 10 and 11 didn't result in a return to nonsensical camp, especially considering Smith's oddball look and really... 'funny' face, I hardly think going to an older, grayed actor is when they'll turn the show into a romping farcical comedy ala Monty Python/70s-80s Who.

Lastly, don't forget Smith had plenty of over the top moments himself, gesticulating wildly; wearing his beloved fez; and Moffat coming from a comedy background with Coupling et al. Doctor Who has always been equal parts absurdist comedy, spectacular fantasy and gritty sci-fi. The show has sucked when it abandoned that balance and shifted towards only one of those aspects, at the cost of others (aka. the ridiculousness of McCoy and various periods from other 70's-80's Doctors.)

In this photo I see that balance - nutty pose, dark and foreboding facial expression, fantastical suit colors. Exactly what the Doctor should always embody. I might be in for a spectacular disappointment here, but considering how the show has consistently been since 2005 using younger and more comedic oriented actors than I might prefer, I cannot fathom a move to an older, gray haired Doctor will result in anything but sheer awesomeness. Plus, Capaldi just has that innate look and feel of a conflicted, ancient, rebellious Time Lord.

He's not wearing a scarf with technicolored question marks or a staff that belonged to the Adam West's Batman's Riddler, so so far, so good IMO.
Old 01-29-14, 02:01 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by cdoug57
The show needs to have less romance and more friendship between the Doctor and his companions.
Originally Posted by Coladar1
Look at McCoy's tenure - the cheese was so utterly horrible as to be unwatchable at times..
After a very shakey start (season?) I think they started putting more care into the show but by this time it was too late.
They can pay homage to, and even incorporate some of the camp factor because that's where the show came from, but without turning away from the grittier, darker and more intelligent stories the show has aired since the reboot.
Agreed.
Doctor Who has always been equal parts absurdist comedy, spectacular fantasy and gritty sci-fi. The show has sucked when it abandoned that balance and shifted towards only one of those aspects, at the cost of others (aka. the ridiculousness of McCoy and various periods from other 70's-80's Doctors.)[...] Plus, Capaldi just has that innate look and feel of a conflicted, ancient, rebellious Time Lord.
Looking at the original series, as well as McCoy, Pertwee and Davison also had a background in light entertainment while the Bakers I think until then had tended to feature in more serious productions.

Notwithstanding his work on "The Thick of It", I agree that Capaldi should bring more gravitas to the role.
Old 01-29-14, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Because it's 2014 and that's how people dress.
Can't wait for that too be over. It looks ridiculous and I know it's odd having issues with seeing it on other people, yet there on TV and it's distracting because of my dislike for it. Time for a return on the more non mummy loose fitting clothes that actually look comfortable.

Skinny jeans can burn in the fire pits of hell! (Well, most women can pull off the look, they still look uncomfortable and restrictive)
Old 02-25-14, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

There's casting news for Series 8.

Potential Spoilers:

Spoiler:
Actor Samual Anderson will star as Danny Pink, Clara’s schoolteacher colleague, and new companion:
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-...erson-unveiled

The Coal Hill School reference in the 50th wasn't just a one-off, they're apparently going back to having schoolteacher companions for The Doctor.
Old 02-26-14, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When does it start in the US?
Old 02-26-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MScottM
When does it start in the US?
Likely the same day it starts in the UK. However, no start date has been set yet. There's only been indications of it premiering "Summer 2014" and "2nd half of 2014," so not for a while.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_...s_8)#Broadcast
Old 05-23-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New teaser from BBC America, saying it will premiere in August:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB2O9JBbzo4
Old 05-23-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

The new Doctor has the abilities of Mr. Fantastic/Plastic Man?
Old 06-27-14, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Doctor Who returns on August 23rd! Capaldi's premiere episode ("Deep Breath") is going to be "feature length."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7HaiGKiUuik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is it me or did Jenna Coleman get hotter?
Old 06-27-14, 07:25 PM

Since the BBC America original series Intruders (starring John Simm) premieres the same night at 10pm, I'm guessing "feature length" means the Doctor Who S8 premiere is essentially a double-length episode starting at 8pm (the BBC America press release confirms 8pm as the start time).
Old 07-04-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Second teaser trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LbX4tNG_k3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-04-14, 08:12 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Richard Madden, you're on deck.
Old 07-04-14, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Richard Madden, you're on deck.
He's been dating Jenna Coleman for three or four years, so he has an in.

Also sort of makes them ultimate nerd power couple.
Old 07-07-14, 03:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

Doctor Who scripts leaked online

Apparently BBC America is the source of some new script leakage...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28201577

Five scripts for the new series of Doctor Who have leaked online, seven weeks before the episodes are broadcast.

BBC Worldwide said it was investigating "a security issue around Doctor Who Series Eight where unfinished material has inadvertently been made public".

The statement urged fans not to distribute the spoiler material.

The series - which marks Peter Capaldi's debut as the Doctor - is due to begin on BBC One on 23 August.

Confirming the leak, BBC Worldwide, the corporation's global arm, said: "We deeply regret this and apologise to all the show's fans, the BBC and the cast and crew who have worked tirelessly making the series.

"We would like to make a plea to anyone who might have any of this material and spoilers associated with it not to share it with a wider audience so that everyone can enjoy the show as it should be seen when it launches.

[...]

The leaked scripts are reported to have originated from a BBC Worldwide office in the US.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.