Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guerilla Camera Prank Movies

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-18-14, 06:22 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are there any others other than Borat, Bruno and Bad Grandpa ?

I love these kind of movies if they are done right !

Surely there must be some others
Old 01-18-14, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Guerilla Camera Prank Movies

I haven't seen those 3 but which would you consider good?
Old 01-18-14, 06:40 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I like both Borat and Bruno. Bad Grandpa had its moments but not quite as good

They aren't high art, but are good fun to watch and you have to admire the balls on the performers
Old 01-18-14, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They pepper pranks into the Jackass films, in addition to the stunts and challenges.
Old 01-18-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts

Maybe I'm too cynical, but in the majority of these movies, the "unaware public" seems very staged to me. I have a hard time believing production doesn't place their own people in to react to the pranks in order to sweeten the comedy. I could be wrong, there is no way of knowing for sure.

There is an older Allen Funt movie called What Would You Say To A Naked Lady, that has some interesting pranks/socialogical experiments.
Old 01-18-14, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Maybe I'm too cynical, but in the majority of these movies, the "unaware public" seems very staged to me. I have a hard time believing production doesn't place their own people in to react to the pranks in order to sweeten the comedy. I could be wrong, there is no way of knowing for sure.

There is an older Allen Funt movie called What Would You Say To A Naked Lady, that has some interesting pranks/socialogical experiments.
Johnny Knoxville said when filming these pranks, they have to be there all day doing the prank to multiple people before getting the right reaction. I'm guessing for some it works out, but there would reach a certain point where they run out of time and just use the actors.

There was the Borat prank that had those college guys take them to court since they were drunk at the time when they signed the waivers. So some are legit.
Old 01-19-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen

Are the cameras hidden? It always seemed staged to me as well. Part of the reason I never cared for them. I always felt they were as authentic as the letters to the Penthouse Forum.
Old 01-19-14, 10:30 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not a movie, but trigger happy TV has always been my favorite. U.S. is too litigious. All the of pranks seems tame when they're all constructed to avoid lawsuits. You gotta get out of the U.S. to get some real good shows.
Old 01-20-14, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperJim88
It's not a movie, but trigger happy TV has always been my favorite. U.S. is too litigious. All the of pranks seems tame when they're all constructed to avoid lawsuits. You gotta get out of the U.S. to get some real good shows.
I've seen some Brazilian and Japanese prank shows on Youtube that ain't hardly bullshitting when it comes to scares. Stuff that would never be allowed in the U.S.
Old 01-20-14, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Are the cameras hidden? It always seemed staged to me as well. Part of the reason I never cared for them. I always felt they were as authentic as the letters to the Penthouse Forum.
Yes, the cameras are hidden.