Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Louis C.K. makes rarely seen directorial debut, Tomorrow Night, available for $5

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Louis C.K. makes rarely seen directorial debut, Tomorrow Night, available for $5

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 04:23 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

In what is certainly the coolest news to drop today, Louis C.K. has dug up his first directorial effort, and is releasing the project on his website for sale next month.

All the way back in 1998, the comedian directed a film called Tomorrow Night, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival but was never picked up for distribution. The film has presumably been sitting on a shelf somewhere, or under a pile Emmys all this time, and the comedian has decided to release the film on his website next month for five dollars. Judging from the trailer, the film looks like a freshly dug up time capsule full of all your of your favorite comedians before they were famous, including younger versions of Steve Carell, Amy Poehler, JB Smoove, Conan O'Brien and Wanda Sykes. The film goes on sale at louisck.net.

C.K. is currently flipping the comedy world on its head with his brilliant FX show Louie, and we can definitely see shades of Louie's more surreal moments from the trailer and clips we've seen from Tomorrow Night. Based on the trailer, the film seems to heavily consist of a man sitting on a pile of ice-cream, so take from that what you may.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-k_Dq-NoVbI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=n44769" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Old 01-09-14, 05:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Louis C.K. makes rarely seen directorial debut, Tomorrow Night, available for $5

I'll definitely give him $5 to see this.
Old 01-09-14, 07:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Louis C.K. makes rarely seen directorial debut, Tomorrow Night, available for $5

I'll buy that for a dollar five dollars!
Old 01-09-14, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I seriously want my 2 minutes 28 seconds back.
Old 01-28-14, 04:24 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Well hello. This is Louis CK writing to you again to let you know about new stuff coming on my website. Mostly I would like to tell you that starting tomorrow (Wednesday the 29th) at noon, (New York time) my first movie "Tomorrow Night" will be available for download and streaming for the usual five dollars. As always you can buy it from anywhere in the world with no digital restrictions.

I made this movie, meaning I wrote and directed it, back in 1998. I was a struggling comedian and TV writer at the time and I pulled together my savings and some of my fiends money to make this movie on black and white 16mm film. There are some great people in this movie. Steve Carell, JB Smoove, Wanda Sykes and Conan O'Brien are some that you might have heard of. Robert Smigel, Chuck Sklar, Rick Shapiro, Heather Morgan, Nick Diapolo, Martha Greenhouse, Greg Hahn, Carey Prusa and Joseph Dolphin, you may have heard of a little less but they are all terrific. In fact all these people are comedians and actors I had been working with and around back in the 90s and I wrote all of their parts for them specifically. To me, that's what this movie was for, to create performance opportunities for all my favorite funny people. And to photograph them with prime lenses on Black and White reversal film.

Tomorrow Night is a bizarre little indie film and it gets pretty weird. It was a labor of love for me. It's how I learned to direct and there are some wonderful performances in it. The crew included some folks that still work with me today on my FX series "Louie" including director of Photography Paul Keostner and production designer Amy Silver.

Tomorrow Night screened at the Sundance film festival as well as other festivals from Seattle to Sweden. But it never got distribution. Any black and white movie is tricky to get a market for and this one is particularly strange. But it's funny and it's well worth watching. That's what I think, anyway. It certainly isn't for everyone.

In any case, Tomorrow Night has been sitting in storage in film cans for 15 years. No one has ever seen it. There are no tapes of it or even clips of it anywhere.

This year, I decided to get it out by putting it on my website. I had an excellent digital transfer made from the negative. The sound is the original Mono mix which is fitting for the style of the film. Be prepared to sit through people dialing rotary phones, which takes a while. The pace is sometimes slow and deliberate. Sometimes crazy. But it's exactly the movie I wanted to make and I'm proud of it. I'm putting it on my website with the hopes that I can continue this way of distributing stuff. I'd also like to pay back some of the people who helped me finance the film. I'd also like people to finally see it so that the performances can be awarded with applause and laughter. I'd also like to make a profit from it so I can use the proceeds to make a new movie and release that on my website as well. Wouldn't that be something? Ok, so buy it tomorrow. and tell your friends to do it also. Or don't. It's really only partially up to me what you do with your time and money.

Also, my latest HBO standup special "Louis CK - Oh My God" is available for the same 5 dollar download. You can't get Oh My God on video anywhere else (unless you have HBO and want to watch it there) I put it up a couple of months ago and we had some website traffic issues but we have completely rebuilt the site and it's far, far stronger than before (yes that's 2 fars) so if you tried to downloaded and had trouble, please try again now.
Old 01-28-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Judging by the trailer alone (which is far from the best way to judge, I agree in advance), I can see why the film didn't get a distributor. It might be worth $5 as a novelty (because of the talent attached), but it certainly doesn't look like a good movie.

If someone gets this, please post your honest assessment in this forum.
Old 01-28-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Finally! I've been waiting to see this forever.
Old 01-29-14, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

It's a shame it isn't getting any kind of physical media release. I still have his dvd of short films that I purchased off his site years ago. It was money well spent.
Old 01-29-14, 11:16 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

This looks better than most major comedy releases. I'm in.
Old 01-30-14, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Will this be available at Netflix in the future or on cable TV?
Old 01-30-14, 05:32 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Nothing tops Louis C.K.'s ultimate opus:
Old 01-31-14, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Bought it. Downloaded it. Burning it to disc right now.

Once you purchase it, he also provides disc artwork and dvd cover art.

Originally Posted by Chadm
It's a shame it isn't getting any kind of physical media release. I still have his dvd of short films that I purchased off his site years ago. It was money well spent.
That's still one of my favorite dvds in my collection.

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Will this be available at Netflix in the future or on cable TV?
I highly doubt it.
Old 01-31-14, 10:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PatD
Nothing tops Louis C.K.'s ultimate opus:
I love Pootie Tang.

Started watching it again the other day, need to finish it still though.