Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Least Favourite Moment In Favourite Shows

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
Least Favourite Moment In Favourite Shows

I watched Seinfeld today, the subway episode, which I consider the worst of the entire series for the cringe inducing moment when the blind begger turns out to be (gasp) an undercover cop who saves Kramer from a robber and they dub over the sound of the audience applauding and cheering. Did the show turn into Happy Days all of a sudden? I remember in interviews for the show Larry David always prided himself on the "no hugging, no learning" rule they set down for the show, which makes me wonder how this cheesy-ass cheering was allowed onto the soundtrack. If the audience really did spontaneously burst into applause (which I doubt), Seinfeld's producers would have been better served leaving it out of the show. That part is so embarrassing. Worse than when the black guy on the street thinks Kramer is a pimp and gets all excited and gives him a big high-five.
Old 01-06-14, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Least Favourite Moment In Favourite Shows

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I watched Seinfeld today, the subway episode, which I consider the worst of the entire series for the cringe inducing moment when the blind begger turns out to be (gasp) an undercover cop who saves Kramer from a robber and they dub over the sound of the audience applauding and cheering. Did the show turn into Happy Days all of a sudden? I remember in interviews for the show Larry David always prided himself on the "no hugging, no learning" rule they set down for the show, which makes me wonder how this cheesy-ass cheering was allowed onto the soundtrack. If the audience really did spontaneously burst into applause (which I doubt), Seinfeld's producers would have been better served leaving it out of the show. That part is so embarrassing. Worse than when the black guy on the street thinks Kramer is a pimp and gets all excited and gives him a big high-five.
That was an episode early in Seinfeld's run, and I think Larry/Jerry changed the tone after that season (no hugging, etc rule). There were many other times that had a weird tonal shift compared to later seasons (Jerry buys illegal cable from Kramer and in his dream he is shot by the feds in his apartment.)

I think by the 1992-93 season (which I feel is the best Seinfeld Season), that is when Larry/Jerry found their groove for the show. and I think that is when they decided to never make a show where the audience gets involved in the drama, etc.
Old 01-06-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Friday Night Lights - Season 2 - Landry Clark
Old 01-06-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Homeland - Season 3. The whole season.
Old 01-06-14, 02:06 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Lem's fate in The Shield.
Old 01-06-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Conner in Angel. The entire time.
Old 01-06-14, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I was watching some episodes of season one of Community the other day. There were two storylines from different episodes, both involving Troy and Abed that really sucked. The first was when Abed and Troy had to take care of a lab rat. The second was when Abed was randomly better at athletic activities than Troy. In both plots, Troy turns into a dick for no good reason.

I'm happy they tinkered with the Troy character and made him to be sillier and dumber instead of being a typical jock asshole.
Old 01-06-14, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Sure was poignant though.

For my pick any of the bizarre and awkward sexual stuff that has been cropping up in SOA, for example the whole forced congical business or the you'll need both hands bit. Just brings everything to an awkward screeching halt.
Old 01-06-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

"Wiseguy":

Classic case of a show that was terrific in its first season, but slowly went downhill as (I assume) the producers responded to network notes to make it more attractive to a broader audience, -and then there were the health problems of lead actor Ken Wahl.

As I said, the first season was terrific, featuring two long-form stories over the course of the season featuring stellar work from Ray Sharkey and Kevin Spacey (in the first role I ever saw him in). The show also featured terrific supporting work from Jonathan Banks as Wahl's boss, which gave him a chance to play something other than heavies (over the holidays I was talking to my 40-year-old nephew who was surprised that Banks had a whole career before "Breaking Bad").

After the first season the show started making changes, with shorter story arcs and more one-shot episodes, with more "emotional" storylines for the Female audience. Most of the second season episodes were good, and replacing the injured Wahl with Anthony Denison (previously the big villain of "Crime Story") turned into a terrific arc with Ron Silver and Jerry Lewis.

The second half of the third season was where it went drastically downhill. They did an arc featuring a corrupt music label "Dead Dog Records" with Tim Curry as the villain and the whole thing sort of meandered and nothing memorable happened. The final arc of the season was the worst, -my least favorite, -as Wahl went undercover in a corrupt company town involved in dumping hazardous waste. Wahl injured himself again and had to leave the show and his exit was "covered" by having a stand-in for Wahl (generally shot from a distance from behind) have a breakdown and walk off the last scene of the episode. They brought in William Russ to reprise his morally compromised CIA agent from Season One (Spacey's henchman) to take Wahl's place, but they didn't modify the role, he just read Wahl's lines more-or-less. It wouldn't have worked better with Wahl anyway, since the climax hung on the villain being obsessed with the old William Castle cult film "Mr. Sardonicus", and Russ and Banks defeated him by re-enacting the film and "gaslighting" him into thinking he was going crazy. Considering the power of the first season, this was sort of an embarrassing pratfall.

The show came back for a fourth season, replacing Wahl with Steven Bauer as a brand new character, but only two episodes were shown on CBS. I eventually caught the remainder of the arc in the syndicated package, and it wasn't bad. However, it was a shadow of the original show and was probably better off put to sleep.

I know that's a long-winded answer, but I don't know how many people even remember "Wiseguy" anymore.
Old 01-06-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember Wiseguy. Oddly, the season I did watch was the "Dead Dog Record" storyline with Tim Curry and Debbie Harry. I can still remember the song she was singing in every single episode, and the bizarre ending where Tim Curry dressed up in tux and tails to tap dance on Paul Winnfield's booby-trapped grave.
Old 01-06-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The episode of The Office when Jim has his DUI and runs over a guy.
Old 01-06-14, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I think by the 1992-93 season (which I feel is the best Seinfeld Season), that is when Larry/Jerry found their groove for the show.
Yes, they found their groove that season....eventually. The beginning of the 92-93 season has some of the show's worst moments, particularly this plotline of Kramer and Newman and a trade of a motorcycle helmet for a radar detector. It culminates in an unfunny courtroom sequence where Newman is trying to get out of a speeding ticket by claiming to be racing to save his friend (Kramer) from suicide because he was distraught at his inability to become a banker. Seriously.

I was telling everyone that Seinfeld had "jumped the shark" (although not using that exact phrase since I don't think it'd been coined yet) and was no longer worthy of viewing. Then they did the episode of Jerry and Elaine on the same flight, Jerry having a wonderful time in first class, Elaine stuck in coach. Great episode, and the season just took off from there.

But yeah, that Kramer/banker thing is probably my least favorite moment in the entire run of the show.
Old 01-06-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Human Target Season 2: Adding the Ilsa Pucci character.

Macgyver: When he basically stopped being a globe trotting adventure character and basically became a social worker.
Old 01-06-14, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
Friday Night Lights - Season 2 - Landry Clark
My top choice, too.

Also:

Hippy Cult Leader Baltar in BSG
The Kalinda/Nick storyline in season 4 of The Good Wife
Tough girl Tori replacing Kelly and Jessie in Saved by the Bell
Any scene featuring skeletal Laurel in Arrow
The decision to have Jess and Nick hookup in New Girl
Old 01-06-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

The laugh track in Sports Night.

X-Files: Agent Reyes. I was down with Doggett and even down with the subpar final seasons, but Reyes was just a Mulder wannabe, and terrible performance as well.

and...
Originally Posted by robin2099
Old 01-06-14, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

The episode of the Simpsons where Homer wrecks the car after drinking and driving and puts Marge in the drivers seat so she unknowingly takes the rap for him. I know the Simpsons, both the show and the family, get a lot of flack, but I think (alcoholism, gluttony, and son-choking notwithstanding), that Homer overall really does try to do the best he can for his family, with his limited skills and limited intelligence. But that episode/moment really bothered me.

I agree with the Baltar/BSG and Jess/Nick things as well.
Old 01-06-14, 09:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Michael Scott left The Office.
Old 01-06-14, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Originally Posted by danfindlay
Sure was poignant though.
Yeah, it was terrible and poignant all at once. Shane's final act of cowardice hit me harder still.

Originally Posted by robin2099
No such season exist. The show was wrongfully cancelled after one season.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-06-14 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-06-14, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I can forgive some of the ridiculous moments in the first couple seasons of Seinfeld because the show was still finding its groove. Some of the plot lines in the final couple of seasons were a lot worse for me. The story where Elaine waited around a bagel shop for days on end trying to intercept a phone call from someone who had a her free sub sandwich voucher was painful to watch. Of course that plotline was in the legendary "Festivus" episode so I guess it wasn't all bad but it certainly put negative marks on an otherwise great episode.

I never cared for the unusually serious parts of the M*A*S*H finale. I know the show always had its share of serious material but having Hawkeye yell at a Korean mother until she smothered her crying baby to death and then spend half the finale in a mental institute was a bit too much for a show that prided itself on its comedy. It just seemed like a strange arc for the main character of one of the most beloved shows in history on the very final episode.
Old 01-07-14, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Hawkeye yell at a Korean mother until she smothered her crying baby to death and then spend half the finale in a mental institute
Did this part have a laugh track?
Old 01-07-14, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Two words: Kevin Finnerty.
Old 01-07-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Two words: Kevin Finnerty.
Beat me too it.

It was otherwise such a consistently great show and then out of nowhere a jarringly bad stretch plopped by early in the send-off season.
Old 01-07-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Star Trek The Next Generation when Crusher goes to some Scottish cabin or some shit.
Old 01-07-14, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Armin Tamzarian

Spoiler:
Old 01-07-14, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
michael scott left the office.
+1

Also Entourage --- the entire last season sucked... but Vince getting married was preposterous.

Last edited by Rob V; 01-07-14 at 10:24 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.