Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"From the people who brought you ____!" <--Does this marketing work for you?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-05-14, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

When you see posters touting:

"From the creators of DESPICABLE ME, comes HOP!"

-OR-

trailers that tout how many Academy Award-nomimated actors are in the marquee?

For example,
JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT touts Academy Award nominees Kenneth Branagh, Keira Knightly, and Kevin Costner.

ENDER'S GAME boasted Academy Award nominee Harrison Ford. Do we give a frog's fat ass about this?

Does this make any difference to your ticket-buying practices?
Old 01-05-14, 05:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: "From the people who brought you ____!" <--Does this marketing work for you?

Nope.
Old 01-05-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: "From the people who brought you ____!" <--Does this marketing work for you?

"From the producers of" is the most worthless one.
Old 01-05-14, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Speaking of which...
Old 01-05-14, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts

Can't say that it's ever made a difference for me.
Old 01-05-14, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Director? Sure, most movies are a strong reflection of their director's talent. Everyone else behind a film do nothing for me, when it comes to marketing.
Old 01-05-14, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not unless you're talking the director, writer(s), and lead actor(s). Films are such a cooperative effort that anything less doesn't suggest that there's going to be enough similar.
Old 01-05-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Not really, but it helps that I read about the whole cast and director online and at forums like this. I can see why they do it for the general audience. I don't think that many people would necessarily recognize Christopher Nolan's name, but if they say the director of the Batman trilogy or Inception, then people understand.

Although I have to admit I sometimes like it when I see a string of "Academy Award Winner _____" in trailers.
Old 01-05-14, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

No. Never ever.
Old 01-05-14, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We had on this like 4 months ago, no?
Old 01-05-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

A bit off-topic, but with awards season I'm seeing Winner of x number of Golden Globe Nominations (where "Nominations" tends to be in smaller font) rather than Nominated for x number of Golden Globes including...
Old 01-05-14, 06:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So do you mean "From the MIND of....M. Night Shyamalan" doesn't ring up the ticket sales??
Old 01-05-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Although I have to admit I sometimes like it when I see a string of "Academy Award Winner _____" in trailers.
I love it when the trailer is listing the cast and you see the titles, "Academy Award Winner Joe Blow, Academy Award Winner Sally Bla Bla..." and then it gets to, "Academy Award Nominee Some Bozo..." I always picture the nominee actor seeing the trailer and clenching his fist in anger.
Old 01-05-14, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always had a rule that when I would see a commercial or trailer that boast featuring the music of .... I would never see it. I have recently added a new rule by adding "from the producer or producers's of"... I will not see it. I learned my lessons growing up that 99% of movies that advertise the music that is in a movie are most of the times not very good.
Old 01-05-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly i'm savvy enough to know that by the time a trailer for a movie comes out i already know who directed it, wrote it, produced it and who is acting in it. so these ads do nothing for me.
Old 01-05-14, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a total prosumer, so no.
Old 01-05-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually know most of what there is to know about the filmmakers' resumes before I sit down to see a film, so it doesn't much matter to me. As to the question of whether it works for John Q. Public who thinks that Transformers 3 was the best movie evar, however, I have no idea, and would sort of be curious. I'm inclined to think that 90% of the public don't care much about who directed films and that very few directors (and pretty much no producers, Bruckheimer excepted) have box office cache with audiences. I think it's just the "If you like X, you'll love Y!" approach.
Old 01-05-14, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Director? Sure, most movies are a strong reflection of their director's talent. Everyone else behind a film do nothing for me, when it comes to marketing.
Old 01-05-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
A bit off-topic, but with awards season I'm seeing Winner of x number of Golden Globe Nominations (where "Nominations" tends to be in smaller font) rather than Nominated for x number of Golden Globes including...
The HFPA actually just issued a memo to studios to quit dong that.
Old 01-05-14, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest, when I was younger I paid attention to those things. For example, I saw The Lawnmower Man because I thought it was based on Stephen King's short story. Once I experienced THAT horror I started realizing....I WAS BEING LIED TO!
I do sometimes go out and buy books if I saw a movie I liked (for example The Bone Collector which got me reading Jeffrey Deaver and The Princess Bride)
Old 01-05-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This but generally directors I follow I tend to know their upcoming films. Once in a while if I see a big name attached as a producer or something that can make me a bit more interested in a film I don't know much about or have little interest in.
Old 01-05-14, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,159 Likes on 4,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Nope. "From the studio that brought you..." is much more worthless.
Old 01-05-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Nope. Especially if it's studio, that means nothing.

I find it amusing how every time a Ridley Scott movie is released they feel the need to point out it's from the director of Gladiator, while with Brian DePalma they want to make sure everyone knows he made Scarface. Typically because they movies they are using this logic to advertise are nothing like the ones for which they are listing credentials.
Old 01-05-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I always laugh when they say it's from someone involved with a movie I hated (I usually like Ridley Scott's movies, but always thought Gladiator was a piece of crap.) Since I love bad movies though, they ought to tout Razzie wins. Jack and Jill won EVERY Razzie the year it came out, yet the DVD cover doesn't flaunt it!

BTW anybody remember the great movie critic David Manning?
Old 01-05-14, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always gone to see movies I thought looked interesting or cool, not because someone who worked on some other movie decided to work on this one.

That's like asking me if I would eat at Red Lobster because the best waiter Olive Garden had now works at Red Lobster.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.