Reload this Page >

Damm i really really miss Spartacus

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-27-13, 12:43 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Favourite shows of mine have of course ended before but Spartacus has really left a void that no other current show can come close to filling

It was a very special show and it's only when you see no new season to look forward to that you realise how special it was

Surely the makers of Spartacus can come up with another cool point in history to depict ?

Maybe Feudal Japan
Old 12-27-13, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Damm i really really miss Spartacus

Yep amazing show

Pretty sure the creator is working on a sci-fi for Starz right now
Old 12-27-13, 01:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

yeah, I miss it too. I miss the speech... "set hands to purpose", "jupiter's cock", etc...

As for Incursion, the sci-fi followup seems like it will never get off the ground unfortunately. I'm holding off getting the seasons sets, waiting for the complete series set which hopefully will happen sometime in my lifetime.
Old 12-27-13, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah, I miss the show as well... one of my favorites. If you havent seen it yet, check out Vikings its out on dvd and its another pretty badass show.
Old 12-27-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Vikings starts up again the end of February.
Old 12-27-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Definitely. The cock always rages on.
Old 12-27-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
Yeah, I miss the show as well... one of my favorites. If you havent seen it yet, check out Vikings its out on dvd and its another pretty badass show.
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Vikings starts up again the end of February.
I haven't seen it. Is it comparable to Spartacus (i.e. graphic nudity, extreme violence, tons of gore & funny dialogue)?
Old 12-27-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Favourite shows of mine have of course ended before but Spartacus has really left a void that no other current show can come close to filling
As it turns out, I just finished watching the second episode (#1x02) of Witchblade and the actor who played Doctore was a featured guest star. It made me think of Spartacus, which ended up being a much better show than I initially expected. For me, it wasn't even the nudity and gore... it was the characters, dialogue, story... and choreography. To clarify, I'm a MMA fan, so I liked the fight scenes to a degree, but I didn't need to see buckets of blood or a closeup of a broken bone protruding through skin. That fell into "gore" for me. But all in all, it was a good show. The last season was somewhat of a letdown only because the inevitable required our heroes to ultimately fail.

Last edited by MikahC; 12-27-13 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-27-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I haven't seen it. Is it comparable to Spartacus (i.e. graphic nudity, extreme violence, tons of gore & funny dialogue)?
Different from Spartacus, but a very enjoyable show. More serious, less comic-booky. Try it, and give it a few episodes. I expected not to like it much but by three or four episodes in was completely hooked. It is very well acted and has an engaging story and visuals.
Old 12-27-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Different from Spartacus, but a very enjoyable show. More serious, less comic-booky. Try it, and give it a few episodes. I expected not to like it much but by three or four episodes in was completely hooked. It is very well acted and has an engaging story and visuals.
Less cock. Much better show. Spartacus was totally a comic book show.
Old 12-27-13, 09:13 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Batiatus is one of the best characters in TV history
Old 12-27-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Incursion won't get made anytime soon. Steven DeKnight already said on his Twitter feed that it's too expensive for Starz. He said it will be at least a few more years. Probably has to pitch it to another network.

As for a complete 4 season box set, DeKnight doesn't know if they will ever release one.
Old 12-28-13, 01:32 AM

It is most soothing balm to break words on subject of rebel Spartacus.
Old 12-28-13, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pull head from ass and use it for once!

Awesome show, and I miss Andy.
Old 12-29-13, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I picked up all four seasons for Christmas ... But I was home sick for a few days and broke into them early. I tore through the first two seasons in two days. Now I'm holding out on watching the final episode.

I love this show. It is very well done in virtually every aspect. You can see the influence of 300 early in the show's run. It seems as if they tried to get away from that, but it became one of the gimmicks they were know for so they couldn't fully escape the over-the-top cartoon gore.

I think the show would have drawn a bigger audience had they not felt the need to be gimmicky. My wife has started to watch it a few times, but always was turned off by the gimmicks. It is a shame, because it is a very engaging show with well written stories and characters. It's been tough trying to to find time to watch it when the kids aren't around.

There were a few rough spots which the show quickly overcame. The 2nd actor took a few episodes to settle into character, but once he did he was good. The third season (technically called the second season) was a little slow to start but took off wonderfully.

As for folks who are holding out for a series box set ... Don't hold out. The season sets all have consistent packaging (a rarity these days) and can be picked up for a very reasonable price.
Old 12-29-13, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

It was a very special show and it's only when you see no new season to look forward to that you realise how special it was

Surely the makers of Spartacus can come up with another cool point in history to depict ?

Maybe Feudal Japan
Not quite the same, but I would suggest checking out Rome and Vikings. Deadwood might interest you, although it is paced much MUCH slower.

I'd love to see a show with samurai warriors set in feudal Japan ...
Old 12-29-13, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe Feudal Japan
There is a pirate show going to start in Jan on Starz, looks like it might be something to get into.

Feudal Japan would be fantastic however
Old 12-29-13, 10:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Vikings is an okay show. It's nowhere near as captivating as Spartacus, and unlike Spartacus, it's not something where I simply cant wait to watch the next episode.
It's much more slower paced, but it's decent.

But Im with you... Definitely miss Spartacus. Spartacus was the quintessential 'guy' show.

In my opinion, the only show that's on TV right now that comes close to Spartacus, is Strike Back. Great one-liners, absolutely great action, and yes... there's nudity.
Old 12-29-13, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Check out Banshee