Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Forrest Gump ...a sociological study?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Forrest Gump ...a sociological study?
Yes, it makes a good case.
0%
No, it doesn't make a good case.
11.11%
What are you high?
88.89%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 12:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i somehow came across this article and found it quite fascinating.

will you see the movie in quite the same way now?

http://www.squidoo.com/analysis_forrest_gump

Introduction

"The world will never be the same once you've seen it through the eyes of..." Forrest Gump: a film chronicling the life of a mentally challenged man present during three of the most distinctive and dynamic decades in American history. While on the surface lies a heartwarming and inspirational story, the underlying narrative tends to explore progression of American society while depoliticizing history. Throughout the film Forrest is directly involved in major events of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, yet he never shows any initiative of his own. What is the filmmaker trying to insinuate?

Sociological analysis

An understanding of Forrest's background in an important and characterizing element in the film. Disadvantaged by a terrible spine condition and a low IQ, Forrest struggles through childhood in small-minded Greenbow, Alabama. Due to his mental disabilities, Forrest becomes the victim of academic discrimination, which his mother fights desperately to resolve. "He might be a bit on the slow side, but my boy Forrest is going to get the same opportunities as everyone else," she stated to the principal of Greenbow County Central School. "He's not going to some special school to learn to how to re-tread tires." (Gump 1995) Forrest's mother was determined. Taking advantage of this, the principal coerced Forrest's mother into trading a sexual favor for enrollment in school. In addition to these unsettling events, Forrest finds himself tormented and isolated by neighborhood children and townspeople who seem incapable of treating him with anything but reproach and disdain.

Forrest was also an active part of many important events, including protests lead by George Wallace against desegregation, the Vietnam War, the Ping Pong Diplomacy period, anti-war activism lead by Abbie Hoffman, Black Panther Party meetings, and the Watergate scandal. It would be reasonable to say that being part of such important events and would make him vulnerable to the social forces of the times, yet his lack of critical thought as a result of low intelligence seemed to indicate the complete opposite-- he remained wholly oblivious and ignorant of their significance. During George Wallace's "Stand in the Schoolhouse Door" protest, Forrest stands curiously in the background, more interested in his surroundings rather than the actual protest. During the Vietnam War, Forrest never questions the morality or the agenda of the U.S. government, and receives the Congressional Medal of Honor for his efforts. His entire experience during the Vietnam War can be summed up into one conversation between him and the Drill Sergeant: "Gump! What's your sole purpose in this Army?" "To do whatever you tell me, Drill Sergeant!" (Gump 1995) Still, the most dismaying portion of impassive responses glorified in this film can be contributed to Forrest's careless involvement in the anti-Vietnam War rally lead by Abbie Hoffman. He was entirely clueless as to the purpose of the anti-war movements. His view of Abbie Hoffman's role? "There was this man, giving a little talk... And every time he said the "F" word, people, for some reason, well, they'd cheer."

Though the focus of the film is directed towards Forrest Gump, the effects of social forces are most often expressed and implied through Jenny Curran. Forrest's generally unobservant nature contrasts harshly with Jenny's forthright and independent character. Without Jenny, we would have a collectively unrealistic and uncertain portrayal of many occurrences that contributed to the structure of today's society. Unlike Forrest, Jenny was consciously and intentionally involved in the counterculture movements of the 60's, as she is seen trailing the countryside with fellow "hippies," participating in anti-war movements, and secretly involving herself in Black Panther Party meetings. Before Jenny sets off on what turns out to be downward spiral towards debasement, she speaks to Forrest of her motives. "...I want to reach people on a personal level. I want to be able to say things, just one-to-one." (Gump 1995) However, Jenny's plans for a better society are brought to a staggering halt when Jenny develops a fatal disease stemming from precarious drug use.

Conclusion

Although Tom Hanks (Star in Forrest Gump) affirms that the film was "non-political and thus non-judgmental," the previous examples show implications otherwise. Though the film does take a stand against disability discrimination by shedding some light on the difficulties that accompany being handicap during a callous time in American history, it's motives were generally ambiguous and unclear. Based on the filmmakers unattractive outlook on counterculturalism, his lack of discretion when touching on issues like desegregation and independence, as well as his insensitive approach to the deaths of activists, we can arrive at the following conclusion: the harrowing experiences exposed in this film can be easily discarded as something warranted only by devoted individuals who attempt to foster humanity.
Old 12-14-13, 07:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Forrest Gump ...a sociological study?

I'd get into it but I'm tired. Weak basis of an argument. I don't think there's a lot to claw at with the sociological element to get what Zemeckis was trying to insinuate.

I've seen it enough that I get bored by it a bit severely overplayed and it is overhyped. But I do think its a solid film.
Old 12-15-13, 12:05 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I know film but I don't know sociology. Would the sociological aspect be like "people react to the film FG in a lot of different ways, depending upon that reaction we can determine things about their character."?

The issues in Forrest Gump seem more political and historical. If you browse around there's a lot of dissenting opinions regarding the film. I've heard black activists complain that depicting a white boy inspiring Elvis to dance is a white wash of history because Elvis learned it from watching black performers. That segues into the same allegation directed at Back to the Future's Johnny B Goode scene.

My feeling is that many social critics either lack a sense of humor or ignore the existence of humor. They look past the simple fact that some things are simply done to get a laugh. Forrest inspiring Elvis or Forrest's simpleton character being ideally suited to the military is done first and foremost to get a laugh.

Anyway it's certainly a fruitful topic. Everyone has seen the film and regardless of their opinion of the film they usually have strong feelings about the historical subjects that it touches on.
Old 12-15-13, 12:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is an analysis? Is there more to it at the link? Because that's barely even a synopsis.
Old 12-15-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, I don't see much analysis there, or how it would change the way I see the film.
Old 12-15-13, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DVDTalk is like a box of chocolates. Open a thread and you never know what you're gonna get.
Old 12-15-13, 01:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Is there a tldr?
Old 12-15-13, 02:38 PM
Banned

It's a right-wing movie case closed.
Old 12-15-13, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wouldn't it be left wing cuz it likes black people, cripples, and women?
Old 12-15-13, 06:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

About as much as a sociological study as Michael Bay's Transformer movies are essays on technology. That's the kind of analysis that would warrant an "incomplete" if this was turned in for a grade. It's not really any kind of an analysis as much as it is just describing the story of the movie. We know Forrest is slow, and of course he was oblivious to what was going on. This article (really, a sociological analysis?) is written from the standpoint that the writer isn't aware Forrest was slow. Which is actually amusing since the writer calls out Forrest has a low IQ.
Old 12-15-13, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
No it's not :

Spoiler:
The simpleton who follows the status quo lives an amazing life and the rebellious hippie dies of AIDS.
Old 12-15-13, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,467 Likes on 933 Posts

What is "precarious drug use"? Did she smoke while walking on top of walls?

I still haven't seen the movie. I have the book. I gather that the movie takes what is a pretty sharp satire of American values and makes it into a love note for baby boomers.

The book starts with a big gentle kid being drafted into his high school football program because of his size and getting trained by the coach to hit other people when he doesn't want to. Then he gets a football scholarship from Bear Bryant. His mom is so proud. The school knows full well that he's going to flunk out in one semester because he's so dumb, but all they care is that they'll get a football player for one season. They don't even bother to give him a dorm room, they just stick him in a basement room with one light bulb and dripping pipes.

He goes to Vietnam because the Army wants grunts, he goes into space because NASA needs to compete with the Soviets. He does pro wrestling, he accidentally carries off a naked Raquel Welch while playing the monster in a B-movie, he beats Bobby Fischer at chess, he becomes a millionaire businessman with a white friend from the swamps, and he's convinced to run for Senate.
Old 12-15-13, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Sounds much better than the movie ...
Old 12-16-13, 08:16 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Jenny got the hiv
Old 12-16-13, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why does everything have to be a commentary of something? What ever happened to just enjoying a story? I have NEVER gone to a movie because of its "social message". When I go to see a movie I am hoping for one thing only, that I will find it entertaining. It is escapeism for me. When I go to see a movie like FG I don't see a story written by people that hate the "left" or the "right", I see a story about a none too bright man and how he coped through out life and how the people that knew him where effected by him. I am just not wired to analyse everything I read or see as a commentary on what I believe or like. I actually feel sorry for people that do. It must be hell to go the Starbucks every morning and wonder it the barista that wishes you a "good morning" really means that or if they really wish you would just drop dead. Secret meanings, they are everywhere.

Have a good day folks.
Old 12-16-13, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

He was named after General Nathan Bedford Forrest, a Civil War hero, slave dealer and first Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan.
Old 12-16-13, 05:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
PULP FICTION which came out the same year as GUMP is left-wing by it's message.
Old 12-16-13, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
PULP FICTION which came out the same year as GUMP is left-wing by it's message.
It must suck to have your brain so hard-wired into politics and left wing vs right wing issues that it's all you ever think about, even when watching a movie about a gangster taking the boss' wife for a date, a boxer throwing a fight, and two guys disposing of an accidental shooting victim's body.
Old 12-17-13, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

This film deserves a scatological study more than a sociological one.
Old 12-17-13, 07:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I remember in 1995 I went to see Pulp Fiction with several friends, all of us members of the Young Republicans at our college. It did such a great job at communicating the message of the left, that we immediately converted. The boys threw away their guns, and the women all got abortions. Haven't looked back since. Thanks, Quentin Tarantino!
Old 12-17-13, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Damn Liberals
Old 12-17-13, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paff
It must suck to have your brain so hard-wired into politics and left wing vs right wing issues that it's all you ever think about, even when watching a movie about a gangster taking the boss' wife for a date, a boxer throwing a fight, and two guys disposing of an accidental shooting victim's body.
That's what art does.
Movies and music is art.
Makes one think.
When one thinks his views will not be liked by others who don't think that way.
GUMP and PULP are what they are. I like both movies but if I had to vote for movie of the year I would pick GUMP. Although I have watched PULP more often.