Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

DSi XL Got Wet...Dead?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
DSi XL Got Wet...Dead?

So, last night, my son managed to drop my Nintendo DSi XL into the toilet. Rather than tell me about it immediately, he didn't say anything. Instead, he tried turning it on and when that didn't go well, then he told me that he'd dropped it. When I got to it, it was soaked. The power was on, but the screen was white and frozen. I managed to turn it off and tried to get it as dry as I possibly could. Everything I read online last night told me to take the battery out and do not attempt to power it up until everything was fully dry. I couldn't do that, as I didn't have a small enough screwdriver.

So now, 24+ hours later, should I even bother attempting to remove the battery and switch it out? I'm leaning towards not even bothering and just buying a new one tomorrow, but I was just looking to get some opinions first. Thanks!
Old 12-10-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts
Re: DSi XL Got Wet...Dead?

Buy a 3DS XL if you're going to get a new system, they're either on sale now or will be again very soon. It's worth the extra $50 to be current-gen compatible as well as fully BC with the DSi XL
Old 12-10-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That is what I was thinking of doing. I just bought my son a 2DS for Christmas. I'm not a fan of the 3D, so the 2DS would be ideal for me, but the screen is smaller than what I've been used to. That being said, at this point in time, the 3DS XL is what I would get for myself
Old 12-11-13, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts

I found the deal. It'll be $149.99 again at Target starting 12/15.

The 3D is WAY better I the XL than the regular 3DS (which gave me a headache). As you know, you can turn the 3D entirely off, but I still recommend using it for the wonderful Zelda Link to the Past.
Old 12-11-13, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Dropping a DSI XL in the toilet?

Old 12-11-13, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

You are probably out of luck....the fact that he turned it back on while it was still wet probably killed your last chance of saving it by drying it out.
Old 12-11-13, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
You are probably out of luck....the fact that he turned it back on while it was still wet probably killed your last chance of saving it by drying it out.
That is what I was thinking. As of right now, it's got nothing. Even plugging the charger in doesn't do anything.