Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Rundown 2 in development

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-13, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well this just came in that Peter Berg wants to do a sequel to The Rundown, and The Rock confirmed that he wanted to do it as well.

The Rock might not be the most famous actor in the world, but at this exact moment, there are few personalities in Hollywood who can generate buzz and potential green lights faster. His presence can reenergize franchises, it can add millions to disaster film budgets, and it can apparently pull a sequel out of a ten-year-old film that was considered a box office disappointment.

During an interview with Collider about his upcoming film Lone Survivor, acclaimed director Peter Berg got to talking about The Rundown and admitted the project might not be as far in his rearview mirror as you might expect. He’s apparently been in communication with The Rock recently about doing a sequel. The ex-professional wrestler is supposedly on board, and he’s taking meetings with writers to find the right collaborative partner or partners to pull off his big idea for round two.

Obviously, Berg wasn’t willing to talk about what that idea might be, but it seems to involve someone other than Seann William Scott. Here’s the quote in question that would lead sensible people to come to that conclusion…

"I really want to do it. I’ve talked to Dwayne. I have an actor in mind that I can’t say that I want to work with Dwayne on it, and we want to do it."

If you haven’t seen The Rundown before, you should really get on that. The film follows The Rock who plays a retrieval expert. He goes into situations and either returns with people or merchandise, depending on what his somewhat shady boss recommends. For his final job, he heads to Brazil to pick up said boss’ son, played by Seann William Scott, and naturally, all hell breaks loose, creating plenty of fun action scenes, a monkey fight and even some laughs.

Had this film been made a few years ago, it almost certainly would have made a tidy profit. The Rock’s status has increased quite a bit in the last decade. That’s likely the impulse behind making a sequel, and with a character that operates as a bounty hunter, basically, the format can easily be adapted for different films that offer a unique case but the same basic vibe.

Here’s to hoping this actually gets done. Until then, you can remind yourself of the original Rundown by checking out the trailer below…
I'd be up for this. I always though The Rundown was very underrated.
Old 12-10-13, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: The Rundown 2 in development

I'd be up for it, I thought the original was guilty fun. It can be a whole new adventure not involving Scott in a brand new environment (it doesn't have to take place in a jungle at all). Assuming his restaurant failed, of course.
Old 12-10-13, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The Rundown was fun 10 years ago. It does not hold up well now. Pass.
Old 12-10-13, 07:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Does anybody in the general public even remember The Rundown?

May as well do a sequel to Mona Lisa Smile.
Old 12-10-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The first film is fine for what it is but I don't really see why it needs a sequel so many years later. Johnson is a pretty big name though that they'll probably be able to draw in people who haven't seen the original to see the new one.
Old 12-10-13, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Was just thinking about this the other day. I liked it, and was actually invested in his ultimate goal of having a restaurant, though I doubt that'll figure much in the plot of this one.
Old 12-10-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The Rundown was fun 10 years ago. It does not hold up well now. Pass.
I disagree. I still love it to this day.

I'd be up for a sequel but I'm surprised it took this long for Berg to consider it. Did the first film not do well?
Old 12-10-13, 08:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be more interested if Berg weren't involved. He's a third rate Michael Bay impersonator, IMO.
Old 12-10-13, 09:06 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'd be more interested if Berg weren't involved. He's a third rate Michael Bay impersonator, IMO.
I'd agree with you when he does these idiotic paycheck films like Hancock and Battleship. But The Kingdom and FNL are solid. Lone Survivor looks pretty good too I think. And I have a soft spot for Very Bad Things.

But yea... this is dumb idea.
Old 12-10-13, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I agree that Hancock was crap (and the original script was actually worse) but I liked Battleship. It was silly fun.
Old 12-10-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Was just thinking about this the other day. I liked it, and was actually invested in his ultimate goal of having a restaurant, though I doubt that'll figure much in the plot of this one.
The Rock has found an ideal location for his new restaurant that has been put up for rent by the owner. However, the owner, who has some white collar charges against him, goes on the lamb and is subsequently pursued by the Rock and is caught and forced to rent the property at a very cheap rate.
Old 12-10-13, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Still like The Rundown, i'd love to see a sequel.
Old 12-12-13, 10:54 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Does anybody in the general public even remember The Rundown?

May as well do a sequel to Mona Lisa Smile.
I'm patiently waiting for a sequel to that, as well as Cold Creek Manor.