Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-00, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you buy a receiver which one do you pick: the one with 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1?
What is the difference?
Old 11-14-00, 06:42 PM

My understanding is that 5.1 is front R&L, Front center, rear R&L, and Sub. 6.1 has a rear center. 7.1 has a right & left rear center. Unless you have a big room and space to put then, I think that 6.1 and 7.1 are overkill, but some might disagree.
Old 11-15-00, 09:58 AM

thanks light98
that is a very good explanation
Old 11-15-00, 02:21 PM

I might emphasize that 6.1 and 7.1 involve adding sound channels, not just speakers. Specifically, they add one or two, respectively, rear effects channels. As such, a partcular effect can be better localized and/or given movement, e.g., a gunshot coming from behind the viewer toward the screen, or a plane flying overhead from rear to front. Of course, you only get the effect -- hehe -- if it's on the disc (THX-EX or DTS-ES), you have a capable receiver, and the additional speaker(s). (In a 6.1 or 7.1 setup, one would usually try to put their surrounds on the sides, and the rear effects in the rear.) At present, there's a short, but growing longer, list of THX-EX and DTS-ES discs. And, there is a fair number of 5.1 discs the sound of which is enhanced by the extra rear channel. With all due respect, you do not need a big room to appreciate the extra channel(s)(mine is only 18'x13'), and it's not overkill if you like action or other big sound movies.

[This message has been edited by McGuffin (edited November 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by McGuffin (edited November 15, 2000).]