TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrow -- "League of Assassins" -- 11/06/13

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-13, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Arrow -- "League of Assassins" -- 11/06/13

Synopsis:

"League of Assassins" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

THE CANARY SINGS - While Oliver (Stephen Amell) tends to the Canary's (Caity Lotz) wounds, he tries to get her to talk about where she came from but she refuses. However, after Oliver and the Canary are attacked at the Queen mansion by a trained killer from the League of Assassins, she confesses to how she's connected with the nefarious group. Meanwhile with Moira (Susanna Thompson) facing multiple counts of murder and conspiracy for her part in the destruction of The Glades, the Assistant District Attorney (guest star Dylan Bruce) offers her a choice - plead guilty now and avoid the death penalty or take your chances in court. Thea (Willa Holland) begs her mother to fight for her life but Moira seems resolute about taking the offer. Meanwhile, Oliver is furious with Laurel (Katie Cassidy) for joining the prosecution's team on his mother's case. Wendey Stanzler directed the episode written by Jake Coburn & Drew Z. Greenberg (#205).

Episode 5 of 23
Old 11-06-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Arrow -- "League of Assassins" -- 11/06/13

I scanned the summary to see how they're planning to make Laurel even more awful tonight - there you go.
Old 11-06-13, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Quite a constant use of "Meanwhile" in that plot summary.
Old 11-06-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
I scanned the summary to see how they're planning to make Laurel even more awful tonight - there you go.
She really has done nothing positive this season except be an annoyance to Oliver/Arrow. We'll see how things change when she finds out her sister is still alive and is also a vigilante. Not much use for her now though. She's no longer Oliver's love interest and she isn't helping the Arrow the way she was last season.

I don't know much about Green Arrow until this show, so I was pretty surprised at the reveal of who the Canary was. I was expecting it to be the chick from the island, Smoke.
Old 11-06-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's kind of lame their adding Batman shit to Arrow and there's no Batman.
Old 11-06-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Quite a constant use of "Meanwhile" in that plot summary.
meanwhile, back at stately Queen manor...

the chick playing canary has a very wooden delivery, and makes the dialogue sound silly. "they make the special forces look like choirboys"

derp derp derp.

Laurel is back to wearing the most unflattering red pants in the history of ever, toward episodes end. i hope she sobers up soon and gets a fashion clue.

i wonder what Oliver was going to do if there were assassins in Laurel's apartment. kick their asses and then say laurel was drunk and imagined it?

Thea knows what she is doing wearing 4 inch platform shoes to her mom's jailhouse meeting. i thought she was auditioning for KISS.

what in the name of all things good and holy is that mini-episode thing, "Bloody Bose Earbuds of Doom?"
Old 11-06-13, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk God

^^^

Dude, can you type even one post that makes any sort of sense?
Old 11-06-13, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I feel like this is The View with all the fashion talk. Next you guys will be talking about how to catch a man. Oh my god did you see those shoes. Girlfriend that girl was out of her mind.

On a different note. The girl playing Sarah was wooden as heck but she did good in those fight scenes. I think she can workout for the most part but they need to cut down on her speaking time.
Old 11-07-13, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Interesting that they included a mini-episode into the show.

Has any other series done that?
Old 11-07-13, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What you mean having a A and B plot? Nearly every show has something like that in at least half their episodes if not more.
Old 11-07-13, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
What you mean having a A and B plot? Nearly every show has something like that in at least half their episodes if not more.
He means the commercials promoting Bose headphones that will tell something of their own little story.

Which had better be collected on the Season 2 Blu Ray!
Old 11-07-13, 08:14 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I think it's kind of lame their adding Batman shit to Arrow and there's no Batman.
They've been doing Batman shit in the show since day-1. Deadshot, Bludhaven, etc, etc. All Batman related.
Old 11-07-13, 08:21 AM

Season 1 was good except for any scene with Tommy, so I was glad they killed him off. Now the Laurel scenes are worse than the Tommy scenes, though the non Laurel scenes this year are even better than the non Tommy scenes last year.
Old 11-07-13, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
They've been doing Batman shit in the show since day-1. Deadshot, Bludhaven, etc, etc. All Batman related.
This show was originally brought to the network as a young Batman series. It was only switched to Green Arrow when WB would not allow Bruce Wayne/Batman to be used on the CW. They likely had a series bible developed for Batman's character arc. You can map almost all of Arrow's characters to ones in Batman's mythology.

I thought this was another stellar episode and don't really get the complaints about Laurel. I am disappointed not a single person has posted certain screenshots yet from this episode in the thread. They should make Laurel's sister a full cast member. She pulls off the fighting very well and adds another costumed anti-hero running around.
Old 11-07-13, 05:22 PM
Banned

Professor Ivo makes an appearance. This guy is batshit insane in the DCU so anything can happen. Little chance we'll see his Amazo android, but the reasons he's doing experiments on the prisoners on the ship probably has something to do with his fear of death/chasing immortality.
Old 11-07-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought this was a really good episode, and hopefully Black Canary sticks around either as a series regular, or by getting a spin off. I especially like how they've done a good job with Laurel's father in terms of making him an interesting character. Which is something I'm notcing on this show. The characters who are written well, are written really well(Felicity, Diggle, Oliver, Malcolm Merlyn Detective Lance, Sara Lance) whereas the characters who aren't written well, really aren't written well (The Mom, Thea, Laurel). I'm keeping Roy out because he's kind of a wild card.

And speaking of Laurel, I love Katie Cassidy, but they need to do something with her quick. She serves no purpose and seems to only be on the show because she was contracted to be for multiple seasons.
Old 11-07-13, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by robin2099
And speaking of Laurel, I love Katie Cassidy, but they need to do something with her quick. She serves no purpose and seems to only be on the show because she was contracted to be for multiple seasons.
I think she was originally cast to eventually become Black Canary and Green Arrow's main love interest. But I think they've realized that is not her strength as an actress and have decided to move Laurel in a different direction. I don't think she could convincingly pull off the physical stunts or fighting as Black Canary.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 11-08-13 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-07-13, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

^ there have been a fee scenes where she holds her own. However, from a character standpoint they are going to need to develop her a lot for me to "buy" her as somebody of the Arrow' s ilk.

I would point to Chloe Sullivan on Smallville though. She was reviled for seasons 2-4, but they turned her around into one of the better characters. So there is hope.

Actress playing Sarah isn't doing much for me. Mayne she'll get better if she comes back.

I was very impressed with the fight scenes. I think the one in the clock tower was one of the best to date on the show.
Old 11-07-13, 11:21 PM
Banned

I want them to resurrect Tommy just so Ollie can screw Laurel in front of an open window right in front of him again.
Old 11-07-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07

I would point to Chloe Sullivan on Smallville though. She was reviled for seasons 2-4, but they turned her around into one of the better characters. So there is hope.
People didn't like Chloe for a time? I always thought she was a well liked character throughout the entire show. I always liked her.
Old 11-07-13, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
These aren't solely Batman villains in the comics, either.

Merlyn, who is one of a Green Arrow's main protagonists, was a member of the League Of Assassins in the comics, too. Bronze Tiger, as well. Merlyn would later be part of another band of assassins, called the Killer Elite, which also included Deadshot amongst it's members. Deathstroke was originally a Teen Titans villain.

Anyway, one of the cool things about this show is that they aren't afraid to use characters from the DC universe at large, even if they do alter them to fit the show's needs. That, and that there are always little Easter egg shout outs to famous Green Arrow scribes and artists, or other DC Character people and place references being dropped all the time.
Old 11-08-13, 12:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how Oliver explained the mansion getting trashed to the fam.

Lots of people jumping and crashing through windows in this ep.

Al-Owal sounds too much like LOL to be a coincidence.
Old 11-08-13, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
People didn't like Chloe for a time? I always thought she was a well liked character throughout the entire show. I always liked her.
Heck, there were entire seasons when Chloe was the only character I liked on Smallville.
Old 11-08-13, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Originally Posted by Superman07

I was very impressed with the fight scenes. I think the one in the clock tower was one of the best to date on the show.

Was I the only one waiting for 'All the things she said' to start playing?
Old 11-08-13, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Caity Lotz has been really solid so far as Sarah. In this episode particularly, she really sold her skills in those fight scenes.

Great episode and I enjoyed the League of Assassins plot along with Sarah's backstory.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.