Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

small 5.1 HT system on a budget - suggestions?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

small 5.1 HT system on a budget - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-00, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,
I'm looking for a 5.1 system with a lot of punch for the price - and I've got a lot of questions. I'm moving up from a Sony pro logic receiver, three cheapo Pioneer CS-G404s
across the front, and some seriously crappy Aiwa cast-offs for rear surrounds. I believe that I'm going for a sub-$500 sony receiver (probably the STR-DE945, but I have my doubts about the 2-way lcd remote) and then I will be needing new speakers. I have considered keeping the pioneers across the front, and possibly replacing the mids and tweets with something a bit more crisp sounding, but I would really prefer a whole new system w/smaller speakers (my current speakers are about three feet tall by 18 inches across by 14 inches deep). I like the idea of 5 small speakers with a separate sub; can this type of setup compare soundwise with similarly priced full range speakers? It seems to me that there would be a noticeable gap between the midbass and subaudibles? If not, what is a good speaker set for less than $1000 including the sub? I'm looking for speakers that can possibly be wall mounted, so not too big. The sub can be as big as necessary. I've been looking at:

Paradigm Titans (price unknown - any help?)
Acoustic Research AR-338 (139.99 per pair)
Acoustic Research Phantom Series
Infinity HTS-20 system (650.00 for the whole system, including sub)

Can anyone give their recommendations to any of these, or point me to anything else? Pointing me to the cheapest place to purchase anything you recommend would also be appreciated.
I was also wondering if it would acceptable to mount an identical speaker to whatever I pick for the left/right speakers to the wall directly behind and slightly above my television, thus saving me the expense of purchasing a (normally more expensive) shielded center speaker. Will a distance of about a foot be sufficient to prevent distortion or damage to the picture tube of the tv? (If this works, I will be able to split the price of a pair with a friend who will be doing the same thing.)
Thanks in advance for any help - and then hopefully I can find somewhere near me where I can give any recommendations a listen before I make my final choice.

[This message has been edited by Mister Beefhead (edited November 11, 2000).]
Old 11-12-00, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Ok - here's what you should be doing... Go listen to speakers. This is something very personal and only you can pick your speakers. I can say that Klipsch are fantastic and within your price range if you look on the internet (I got a whole 5.1 set cheap mostly from Ubid.com, but these days their shipping charges are a bit steep). I also liked JBL alot... they were the warmest speaker while also being bright. All the speakers at Circuit City were too bright for my taste. I've always loved Cerwin Vega, but their speakers are so large. I almost went with CV, but instead went with Klipsch because they sounded better (blew my mind - didn't think it was possible). Use Pricescan and pricewatch and pricegrabber and check out prices. If you buy Klipsch speakers from Ubid - they don't warranty them (so I've heard), but I haven't had any problems... beautiful soundstage for both music and movies. I have 8"ers in the front, 6"ers in the rear, a 12" downfiring sub, and dual 6" center channel. This is the only bookshelf speaker I've heard that sounds like a large speaker. But that's my ear - you have to listen for yourself.

For the reciever - I chose a Sony 835. It's one step down from the one you're selecting and I can tell you that it hasn't given me any problems yet (except one - look for my thread in here)... I can tell you that it's pretty much the exact same thing as the 935/945 except for the remote. I'd get the 845 if you're on a budget... if you can afford the 945, and you want to stick with sony, then you should be looking at their low end ES line. If you want a good reciever that's not a sony - ask someone else because I didn't do enough research on it to give advice.

If you have more questions about speakers or recievers, email me.
Old 11-12-00, 01:53 PM

IMO, I would recommend that you stay away from the Sony DE series...strictly mass-market oriented. In the US$400-$500 range, you should consider the Sony DB840 or DB940. The Sony DB series is slotted in between the entry-level DE and the higher-end ES series (build/peformance is more like the ES than DE IMO). Other receivers to consider in your price range include: Onkyo 575 or 575X (575 w/ S-video). Be advised that some Onkyo receivers, especially the 575, have had apparent problems with hiss.

Other mid- to high-end manufacturers include: Denon, Sony ES, Marantz, Pioneer Elite and Yamaha. I would certainly stay away from Technics, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony DE and JVC.

Paradigm Titans list for US$219/pair. Others have reported that the Atoms are actually better sounding (list US$189/pair).

Also, most speakers are designed to have separation from the walls in order to sound good. I have heard that PSB, at least in the past, can sound good when placed against the wall. Not sure what the new models are like. Try http://www.goodsound.com for some speaker recommendations.

For a budget priced 10" sub, I would recommend the Mission 700AS (or it's replacement, 700ASi) for US$500 list (US$300-$350 street). Check here for a review on the Mission 700AS by well known bass fanatic, Tom Nousaine of Sound and Vision (May 2000):
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/Sou..._cm_00,00.html

Nousaine's test measurements on the 700AS (10% distortion, 2 metres in a 7500 cu.ft. room):
Low Frequency Extension (LFE): 102dB at 25Hz
Average Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 108.1dB between 25-62Hz

Remember to audition, audition and then audition some more and trust YOUR ears. They are the only ones that count.

Dave

[This message has been edited by DavidY (edited November 12, 2000).]
Old 11-12-00, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
listen with music or dvd's you know well. you make all sound adjustments-salespeople can adjust the sound levels to get you to like what they earn the most on. i like klipsch also but some do not like the sound. many like the energy,and klipsch added to the speaker list you already have. I also like denon receivers alot. Good luck and buy what you like as long as it is not bose

------------------
Other Bargains Coupon Pet Thread
Old 11-13-00, 06:27 PM
Cool New Member

A buddy of mine bought the Atoms and they sound awesome, very clean. I would recommend a better sub than what is recommended with the Atoms as his sounds good but no deep bottom punch, but then he was on a budget of $1500. His entire speaker setup was $1,000. I highly recommend them.

------------------
"I want my HDTV"
Old 11-14-00, 10:11 PM

First of all, I would like to thank you all for your help. I never would have gone amp listening if not for the advice posted here. I believe that my choice of amp now leans towards either the Sony STR-V333ES or the STR-DB940. Any comments?
Anyway, I went out speaker listening today, walked into the shop thinking "Paradigm Titans" and came out thinking "NHT SuperOnes". I was very impressed by the SuperOnes, and now believe that I am sold, but I am wondering if I can beat the price - price quoted to me was $260 a pair for two pair, plus an additional $125 for a fifth for use as a center channel. I am aware that most (all?) online dealers are not factory approved and thus void the warranty, but if the savings is substantial then I will consider it.
I am also giving some consideration to a 10" or 12" Titanic sub - can anyone give any opinions?
I will be posting some of the above questions in seperate topics in order to generate more responses.

[This message has been edited by Mister Beefhead (edited November 14, 2000).]