Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Star Trek Continues: first full episode online

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts
Star Trek Continues: first full episode online

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

Just watched the first episode of this web series continuing the original Star Trek's five year mission. It was a sequel to the episode "Who Mourns For Adonais?" with the original actor who played Apollo. Good? Certainly better than any episode of Agents of SHIELD so far.

The cast is a bunch of nobodies. Scotty is played by James Doohan's son. I think McCoy is just some hobo that they cleaned up and put in a uniform.

Nevertheless, the recreation of the original aesthetic is terrific. I love hearing those old music cues again. The director is a little more into camera angles than they were on TOS, and the lighting favors shadows more than that TOS bright and flat lighting design.

If you have any fondness for the old Star Trek (before JJ Abrams slapped lens flares all over it and made it exciting) check this out.
Old 10-25-13, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Star Trek Continues: first full episode online

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
The only real Trek is Abrams'.
You need an Adam Sandler avatar to make these kinds of comments.
Old 10-25-13, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoyed the first episode. The new Kirk is definitely no Shat but you gotta love the way he has the high price toupee like Bill...
Old 10-26-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by BKenn01
Enjoyed the first episode. The new Kirk is definitely no Shat but you gotta love the way he has the high price toupee like Bill...
He's got an ego at Shatnerian proportions. He plays Kirk, directs the episode, produces the web series.
Old 10-26-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

It's not bad quality wise but some of the actors aren't doing it for me. The guys playing Spock and McCoy respectively are both pretty bad. Whoever is playing Spock seems like an okay actor but just not right for Spock at all. The guy playing McCoy does seem like some person they drug in off the streets , also not keen on the actress playing Uhura. Cosmetically the show is pretty impressive and the music cues and stuff are great. Doohan's son as Scotty is cool. He's not the same as his father obviously but it's cool that he gets to reprise the role and I think he does a decent job. The role of Kirk isn't bad either, he seems like he's trying to take some cues from Shatner's performance but adds enough of his own that it's different.
Old 11-13-13, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that was certainly interesting. I love the production, the sets, the directing. And the auteur behind it all absolutely nails Kirk. There were many times that I had to remind myself that it wasn't Shatner himself. The other cast not so much. Bones' moobs were really distracting. And Uhura looks Filipino. I was impressed with Sulu a bit and was shocked when I realized that it is Grant from Mythbusters.

Also, one of the writers is clearly a big Somewhere In Time fan, as they named the hot redhead "Elise McKenna", after Jane Symour's character in that film.

I'll watch the others when they come out, for sure.
Old 11-13-13, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I really, REALLY enjoyed the episode But holy mother-effin cow, McCoy needs to do some sit-ups badly...
Old 11-13-13, 10:48 AM

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,130 Posts

I've only watched five minutes of the latest episode and I'm only a casual TOS fan and I have to say, they really nailed it. There's part of me who wishes the actors made a better effort with the distinct voices of their TOS counterparts and yet, mannerisms, timing, camera angles, it's all there!
Old 01-04-18, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

^ bump

The entire 11-episode series is now a wrap. The blow-up at Paramount over the entire Axanar clusterfuck resulted in them being forced to shut down pretty much all of the fan-made productions, which unfortunately meant that Star Trek Continues had to end.

The comments about the acting in Ep 1 were spot on, and they did replace the McCoy actor after a couple of episodes. But remember, the entire series was fan-written and fan-produced. As the series continued, they were able to raise funds to build additional sets and spruce up the sets they already had... the Bridge set already looked amazing, by the end of the series I really couldn't tell the difference between that and the original TOS set from 50 years ago.

As a nice going away gesture to the fans the STC folks have made ALL of their episodes available for download. Not only individually, but they've gone to the trouble to make DVD and BluRay versions already compiled as ISO files that you can download and burn directly to your own media. They've also included artwork (for your discs and cases), high-res episode posters, copies of the music suites for the entire 11-episode series, and PDF copies of the shooting scripts.

All. For. Free. (!!)

Linky: https://startrekcontinues/downloads.html

If you've not seen any of these episodes yet, you should. It's a 100% fan-funded and fan-made labor of love. And though it does take a mental "leap" to put different faces to known characters, the entire series is done amazingly well. I strongly recommend giving it a try, but f you only have 3 hours I recommend the following episodes:

III: Fairest Of Them All. This episode is set on the ISS Enterprise from the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror" and it follows what happens in the alternate universe after Kirk, McCoy, Scotty & Uhuru are returned to the Federation Universe. If you remember Spock with a beard, that's the episode I'm talking about.

X & XI: To Boldly Go, Parts 1 and 2. This story concludes the Enterprise's 5-year mission with a direct threat to Earth from an adversary that leaves the Federation helpless, but that Kirk & Co must face alone. It's save the Earth, or die trying.