Reload this Page >

Trying to identify 60s-70s Anthology show

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-23-13, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

I've trying to recall the name of an old anthology show that I watched when I was an adolescent, -probably the late 60s or early 70s. I think it might have been British and (I believe) it ran on Thursdays on ABC about 8:30pm CST to 9:30pm CST. It had this eerie whistling theme and I seem to remember the opening titles played over an x-ray image of a rollercoaster. I don't remember a single episode, but I do remember liking it (though I liked anything remotely "Horror"). Anyway, that's my memory of it and I'm just trying to figure it out. Sound familiar to anyone?
Old 10-23-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Trying to identify 60s-70s Anthology show

Journey to the Unknown
Old 10-23-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Sounds right -Thanks!

From Wikipedia:
Journey To The Unknown is a British TV anthology series made in 1968, by Hammer Film Productions Ltd. It has a fantasy, science fiction and supernatural theme. It featured both British and American actors. American actors included George Maharis, Vera Miles, Barbara Bel Geddes, Patty Duke, Carol Lynley, Joseph Cotten, Stefanie Powers, and Brandon deWilde, along with familiar British actors such as Dennis Waterman, Jane Asher, Nanette Newman, Ann Bell and Tom Adams. Seventeen episodes in all were made.

The series had a memorably famous whistled theme tune by Hammer's Harry Robinson and title sequence involving a deserted and apparently haunted Battersea fairground.

Another note: I just looked up the opening on you.tube and it shows how you remember things. It wasn't an "x-ray", -just shot at night with lights against the darkness. Its still a great theme!

Last edited by DWilson; 10-23-13 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-23-13, 07:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Not on DVD as far as my 30 second Amazon search shows.