TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrow -- "Broken Dolls" -- 10/23/13

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Arrow -- "Broken Dolls" -- 10/23/13

Synopsis:

OFFICER LANCE'S PAST PUTS LAUREL IN DANGER - Lance (Paul Blackthorne) learns a criminal named Barton Mathis (guest star Michael Eklund), whom he put away years ago, broke out of prison during the quake and is back to torturing and murdering women. Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) offers herself as bait so Arrow (Stephen Amell), Diggle (David Ramsey) and Lance can catch this villain, but the plan goes awry. Furious, Mathis kidnaps Laurel (Katie Cassidy) in retaliation and plans to murder her while Lance watches. Meanwhile, Thea (Willa Holland) and Oliver are stunned when District Attorney Adam Donner (guest star Dylan Bruce) seeks the death penalty for Moira (Susanna Thompson). Oliver asks Roy (Colton Haynes) to help him find the Canary (Caity Lotz). Glen Winter directed the episode written by Marc Guggenheim & Keto Shimizu (#203).

Episode 3 of 23
Old 10-23-13, 12:30 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Arrow -- "Broken Dolls" -- 10/23/13

Old 10-23-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Looks like we are getting the villain Shrapnel in an upcoming episode: http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/293...apnel-on-arrow

Sean Maher ("Firefly") is set to play DC Comics supervillain Shrapnel in the second season of The CW's "Arrow" series.

Maher will guest star in this season's tenth episode as Mark Scheffer (aka. Shrapnel), a serial bomber who places Starling City in a grip of terror and threatens the life of Sebastian Blood (Kevin Alejandro).

In the comics he's a being made of organic metal, but much of his backstory remains unknown.

He marks the latest DC Comics character to make the jump to the series following the likes of Black Canary, Bronze Tiger, Sin, Isabel Rochev, Sebastian Blood and soon The Flash.
Old 10-23-13, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Laurell has finally removed head from own ass. Love how they keep expanding more into the DC Universe.
Old 10-24-13, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Batman is coming to get his bad guy back. No evil black wolverine to be found. All the women were dipped in makeup and one is going to turn into clayface. Oliver is on a boat. The mom looks gangster. Black Canary uses a sonic weapon instead of a scream. Roy gets beat up because he is was chasing a woman.

Aquaman will be in the next episode. He'll use his mouth to talk to fish instead of his mind, it makes it more real.
Old 10-24-13, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arrow brings in nonstop DC characters, drops sneaky references too, like there was a 52 in there tonight, and in Agents of SHIELD I'm begging for a scrap and they won't even give me a Vibranium reference. Yet in the movies Marvel literally puts in as many references to other characters as possible but in the history of DC movies (including stuff like Constantine) the only reference is a satellite in Man of Steel AFAIK.
Old 10-24-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't think this was one of their stronger episodes. Mainly because using Dollmaker as a villain was kind of a weird choice. And recent. He only debuted two years ago. But where this episode really rocked was in all the DC references. We got to see the shows version of the Canary Cry. We saw Black Canary hide out in a clock tower. We got an appearance from a member of the League of Assassins, and mentioning of Ras Al Ghul. And best of all, Laurel removing her head from her butt early in the season without carrying it on forever. So still a strong episode minus the weak villain.
Old 10-24-13, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think Slade might be gay in this universe. I think he was getting upset with Shadow taking Oliver away. He didn't seem concerned at all that Shadow might be getting bombed but was extremely upset over Oliver. And thinking back he never gives a longing look to shadow it is always when Olver is with Shadow that he gives those looks.
Old 10-24-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by cleaver
Arrow brings in nonstop DC characters, drops sneaky references too, like there was a 52 in there tonight, and in Agents of SHIELD I'm begging for a scrap and they won't even give me a Vibranium reference. Yet in the movies Marvel literally puts in as many references to other characters as possible but in the history of DC movies (including stuff like Constantine) the only reference is a satellite in Man of Steel AFAIK.
there have been several marvel universe references in the shield show.
Old 10-24-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was that Bullet from The Killing as Black Canary's sidekick?
Old 10-24-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
there have been several marvel universe references in the shield show.
You're right, they're references to The Avengers movie though, I mean like gimme some hint that there will be a Marvel Universe character on the show.
edit: my bad, all I'm trying to say is Arrow has revolutionized television

Last edited by cleaver; 10-24-13 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-24-13, 02:36 PM

Because they didn't show

Spoiler:
Graviton

on the show already
Old 10-24-13, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
Yep.
Old 10-24-13, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anomynous
Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
Yep.
and now that she is age appropriate and not a runaway, goddamn... she is built like a brick outhouse.

if i only read the synapses for this show i would think it was the most preposterous silly thing ever. Watching it however, it is one of the most action packed, well choreographed fight scene having shows. i really buy into the emotional lives of the people, and don't feel like i have to suspend too much disbelief to think some dude with a bow and arrow can change the world. if he and katniss had babies they would be so frickin awesome, guitars would wail with sweet licks and ninjas would do back flips to herald their arrival.
Old 10-24-13, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Loved the R'as Al Ghul name drop. Interesting that the League of Assassins member was wearing a uniform almost identical to that of Malcolm Merlyn.

Anyone notice that the ship was named Amazo and there was a reference to Metamorpho?
Old 10-24-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Arrow is destroying Agents of Shield. It is somewhat of a shame it will be confined to the CW where half of its potential fanbase doesn't even realize it exists.
Old 10-25-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved this episode. Good thing that the Lances are now on Team Arrow.

My wife asked me to look up which actress was playing Black Canary because she said she looked familiar. I of course looked it up on IMDB and ended up with a HUGE spoiler. So I would suggest not doing the same as I did.
Old 10-25-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

/\ I will avoid that, thanks for the heads-up!
Old 10-25-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Felicity needs a code name so Arrow doesn't have to constantly name-drop her during missions. I don't think they would use Oracle...would they?
Old 10-25-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Loved this episode. Good thing that the Lances are now on Team Arrow.

My wife asked me to look up which actress was playing Black Canary because she said she looked familiar. I of course looked it up on IMDB and ended up with a HUGE spoiler. So I would suggest not doing the same as I did.
i just looked at it. it is something that was speculated about in the past.

another great episode. love the tone of this show. finally laurel got her head out of her ass. about time.

Last edited by Deftones; 10-25-13 at 03:11 PM.