Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

@Midnight with Chris Hardwick on Comedy Central

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Midnight with Chris Hardwick on Comedy Central

This debuted tonight on Comedy Central and I thought it was just hilarious. It is basically a fake game show format with Chris Hardwick hosting and 3 comedians riffing on mostly social media related stuff. As an example, one of the bits was for them to write a Yelp review of a music video orgy.

The guests tonight were Kamil Nanjiani, Doug Benson and Natasha Leggero. Some of the producers came from Reno 911, including Thomas Lennon.

This is supposed to be on 4 nights a week after Colbert which seems like a lot of material to generate, but the first show was great.

Looks like full episodes will be available at comedycentral.com

http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/-midnight
Old 10-22-13, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: @Midnight with Chris Hardwick on Comedy Central after Colbert

It helped that wasn't forced... or rather, too scripted.

Not sure if it can sustain itself or that I need to watch every night, but better than expected.

Last edited by Adboy151; 10-22-13 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-22-13, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was pretty fun, but I don't think I could watch it every single night. Even has a huge Nerdist/Hardwick fan.
Old 10-22-13, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!
Now I will know to stay far away from that channel @ 12am
(Chris Hardwick is by far the biggest and most irritating fanboy on the planet)
Old 10-22-13, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Hmmm so "clit" was bleeped but many "dick" and a "cock" reference was heard loud and proud.
Old 10-22-13, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This show makes me feel old.

I still liked it though.
Old 10-22-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haven't watched it yet, but the description sounds like the British show "Nevermind the Buzzcocks". Check it on youtube if you aren't familiar.
Old 10-23-13, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The first episode was pretty funny, Comedy Central seems to be rerunning episodes in prime time.
Old 11-13-13, 05:50 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
@midnight - new "gameshow" on Comedy Central

Anyone watching this show?

It's on at midnight (duh) on Comedy Central, hosted by Chris Hardwick. It's friggin' hilarious.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_VbzKApmaAY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u8AJicXy8I4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-13-13, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Re: @midnight - new "gameshow" on Comedy Central

New? It's about a month old.

I watch it. Some are funnier than others. It really depends on which comedians are the guest that night. Some I have just not enjoyed at all.
Old 11-13-13, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The ones I've watched have been great. Wish I had more time to watch.
Old 11-13-13, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: @midnight - new "gameshow" on Comedy Central

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
New? It's about a month old.
Are you responding to one of the nearly month-old posts?

I've enjoyed it when I've watched it.
Old 11-13-13, 08:22 PM

It's held up a lot better than I would have thought, but really does depend on the guests on any given night. Interesting story about it, apparently it was only greenlit for a 4 week run! But ratings have been great, so likely to be renewed.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#axzz2kaAhwtqR

@midnight' opens a new frontier for Comedy Central

By Patrick Kevin Day
This post has been corrected, as indicated below.
November 11, 2013, 1:10 p.m.
Comedy Central has been doing quite well for itself for a while now in late night with the one-two punch of Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. But increasingly, it looks as if Chris Hardwick might be part of that regular lineup, based on the straight out of the gate success of "@midnight."

With little fanfare and not a lot of marketing,"@midnight" has been staking out a unique place in the late night landscape, distinct from the traditional late night talk shows or even "The Daily Show" or "Colbert Report" that air before it.

A blend of panel talk show and game show, Hardwick hosts three comedians each night who compete for points by riffing on the most interesting Internet finds of the day. The points are assigned somewhat arbitrarily by Hardwick, but the intent is to generate as many laughs as quickly as possible, with the conventions of Twitter being one of the show's guiding forces.

"I love the game show format because it's a wheel that constantly drives the comedy," Hardwick said during a post-show chat in his dressing room at Hollywood Center Studios. "It makes people a little competitive. Yes, there are no prizes, but a comic's ego is very fragile and to be the funniest person, to have a score and quantify that, puts a nice element to it."

The series debuted on Oct. 21 with good ratings that continued to climb. During its first week of shows, "@midnight" was second only to "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" in the channel's core young male demographic, beating out Leno, Letterman and the rest of the traditional network late night guys.

Additionally, the series has proved to be a hit on Twitter, a key factor for a program that makes social networking a core part its DNA. Each night, the show uses new hashtags to provoke creative responses from its contestants, but at-home players are eager to throw out their own suggestions, meaning the show has appeared in Twitter's top trending topics every single night since its debut.

Though Comedy Central has been around for more than 20 years, it is just now attempting to program a regular original program into its after-midnight time slot, an hour that has long been a place where the channel aired reruns of its original programming.

"I thought [after midnight] could be a new frontier for us," said Kent Alterman, president of content development and original programming at Comedy Central. "In the past, we always did well with reruns at midnight. But reruns don't perform as well in the new TV age and there's a voracious appetite for new content from the audience."

"@midnight" began in slightly different form as "Tweeterdome," a pilot produced by Thomas Lennon, Robert Ben Garant and Funny or Die. When Hardwick saw the pilot, he was sold, but expanded the scope to include all forms of Internet media.

Hardwick said, "We're still perfecting it, but I think the best balance is 30% game show and 70% screwing around. So there's just enough game show to keep things moving."

Guests on the show have included Patton Oswalt, Natasha Leggero and Doug Benson, among others. While the comedians are given the topics for each show an hour or two ahead of taping, what's been most beneficial was the run of live shows Hardwick ran last summer out of live show space his company, Nerdist Industries, runs in the back of the Meltdown Comics shop in Hollywood.

"It allowed us to see what worked, see how interactive the show was," Hardwick said. And the test run allowed "@midnight" to land on the air seemingly fully formed.

But perhaps some of that instant familiarity comes from its host. Hardwick is seemingly everywhere these days, with his Nerdist podcast network and his weekly live appearances on AMC to dissect "The Walking Dead" and "Breaking Bad" before it. While some see his high profile as a triumph of geek culture, others resent his ubiquity.

"Sometimes people say, 'How many jobs do you need to take?'" Hardwick said. "But I just take the jobs I want to take. I'm lucky enough to have gotten to this point where I don't have to take anything I don't want to take. That's a really fun place to be."

"Chris is not an accidental host," Alterman said. "With the Nerdist empire he's been building, he's totally, authentically of the social media world."

The series received an initial four-week order and is currently in its final week of shows. Though Alterman declined to say if the show would be renewed, he did add, "There's a lot of enthusiasm for it throughout the network."

And despite the nightly addition to Hardwick's already busy schedule, his enthusiasm for the new show is easy to see.

"This is a show I would be very happy doing for a very long time," Hardwick said.

[For the record, 2:11 p.m. PST Nov. 11: An earlier version of this post described Judd Apatow and David Spade as guests who had appeared on "@midnight." Apatow and Spade are actually scheduled to appear this week on the show.]
Old 11-13-13, 08:25 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

victim of the shitty dvdtalk thread search... I tried... sorry for the dupe thread.
Old 11-13-13, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hardwick is the right host for this show. Some of the comedians are not a good fit for this format. It's a very funny show when the right guests are on it. What it needs are one or two recurring guests that have already proven themselves in the format. They also need to admit to themselves the comedian talent pool for women is shallower and not pander every episode to gender diversity.
Old 11-13-13, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Hardwick is the right host for this show. Some of the comedians are not a good fit for this format. It's a very funny show when the right guests are on it. What it needs are one or two recurring guests that have already proven themselves in the format. They also need to admit to themselves the comedian talent pool for women is shallower and not pander every episode to gender diversity.
I enjoyed Nikki Glaser, Grace Helbig, Iliza Shlesinger, Natasha Leggero, Ali Wong, and Kristen Schaal's appearances on the show. I will say the other female comedians sucked.

If we get a second season, I'd love to see them come back alongside Moshe Kasher, Steve Agee, Jonah Ray, and Doug Benson.
Old 11-14-13, 07:49 AM

This was better than expected throughout it's run; only a few duds here and there.

I too was surprised at some the people that kind fell flat like Patton Oswalt, Aukerman and Hodgman. Kurt Braunohler was pretty off the first time he was on, but he rebounded on his second go. So maybe some folks need to find their 'Jeopardy' legs.

Last edited by Adboy151; 11-14-13 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-14-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Why is this show called @midnight? It's on at 11:00 here ...

Old 11-14-13, 10:08 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Why is this show called @midnight? It's on at 11:00 here ...

Go East young man.
Old 11-14-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Yeah, it's on at 11pm here also...

Anyway, it's gotten a 40 week pickup starting Jan. 6th.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/come...0-week-pickup/

So the comedians must go over the topics before they do the show, right? They can't actually all come up with their material on the fly, right?

Last edited by windom; 11-15-13 at 12:58 AM.
Old 11-16-13, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom
Yeah, it's on at 11pm here also...

Anyway, it's gotten a 40 week pickup starting Jan. 6th.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/come...0-week-pickup/

So the comedians must go over the topics before they do the show, right? They can't actually all come up with their material on the fly, right?
It looks like a mix to me of surprise material and some segments in which the guests have pre-written material already prepared.
Old 08-15-14, 01:55 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

This was renewed for a second season: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ewed-at-656335

I just recently starting watching, and am enjoying.

What's the deal with the points jumping up without seeing how they got them? Is this normal? Are they just editing out responses? Kind of weird.
Old 08-15-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
This was renewed for a second season: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ewed-at-656335

I just recently starting watching, and am enjoying.

What's the deal with the points jumping up without seeing how they got them? Is this normal? Are they just editing out responses? Kind of weird.
Each episode is heavily edited down from a longer contest, that is apparent from watching the show. They likely cut any jokes that completely miss.
Old 08-15-14, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: @Midnight with Chris Hardwick on Comedy Central

show seemed very scripted to me (from what I've watched) and not spontaneous like they try to make it appear
Old 08-15-14, 03:59 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Each episode is heavily edited down from a longer contest, that is apparent from watching the show. They likely cut any jokes that completely miss.
It's pretty distracting... but oh well...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.