Naked City Complete Series 25.48 plus ship at walmart.com

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-13, 04:42 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Naked City Complete Series 25.48 plus ship at walmart.com

www.walmart.com/ip/28997565

Possible price error on Nov.5 preorder as it is more at amazon and dvd planet.

It is 25.48 plus ship on Nov. 5 preorder at walmart.com
from amzn:
Now available for the first time ever, experience the complete series hailed as “Not just another cop show” by Time Magazine. One of the most innovative police shows in television history, NAKED CITY puts a human face on crime, going beyond a simplistic portrayal of good vs. evil to delve into the complex personal dramas of the people involved. This collection contains all 4 seasons (138 episodes) on 29 DVDs from the acclaimed Emmy® Award-winning classic TV series.

Featured Guest Stars: Gene Hackman, Robert Duvall, Dustin Hoffman, William Shatner, Christopher Walken, Jean Stapleton, Carroll O’Connor, Jon Voight, Jack Klugman, Dennis Hopper, Martin Sheen, Robert Loggia, Robert Redford, Leslie Nielsen, Tom Bosley, Peter Fonda, Alan Alda, James Caan, Doris Roberts, Suzanne Pleshette, Ed Asner, Walter Matthau, Burgess Meredith, Rip Torn, Peter Falk, Diane Ladd, Mickey Rooney, George C. Scott, James Coburn, Vic Morrow, Rod Steiger, Telly Savalas, George Segal, Jack Warden, Martin Balsam and many more.

Last edited by g; 10-18-13 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-18-13, 10:01 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Naked City Complete Series 25.48 plus ship at walmart.com

Might be mixing up the pricing of The Best of The Naked City set. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. If they send me the wrong thing, I'll just return it.
Old 10-18-13, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Took a shot & ordered also.

Thanks for posting, g!
Old 10-18-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered....Wait to see what happens....
Old 10-18-13, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ernestrp
Ordered....Wait to see what happens....
Ditto ... I had to swear that I was at least 17

Amazon has a pre-order price of $99.99
Old 10-18-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered as well.

This is the second time that Walmart.com has apparently mispriced a complete series set (they did this with the Weeds: Complete Series Blu-Ray set a couple months back).
Old 10-18-13, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
This is the second time that Walmart.com has apparently mispriced a complete series set (they did this with the Weeds: Complete Series Blu-Ray set a couple months back).
Did they follow through with the mispriced Weeds set and ship them out for that price?
Old 10-18-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by brainee
Did they follow through with the mispriced Weeds set and ship them out for that price?
Well that set's not out yet (it also comes out November 5th), so the jury is still out on that one.

I will say, though, looking at my orders, that it's showing as processing, and they haven't adjusted the price after the fact or tried canceling the order.
Old 10-18-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The only other pre-order price error I bought was the LOTR theatrical trilogy set for $9.99. That actually came through without a problem and I ordered it a month or two in advance.
Old 10-18-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Took a shot as well. I usually find out about these errors after Wal Mart changes the item to being out of stock. Free ship to home too! I hate ship to store at my local store. It takes forever.
Old 10-18-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This was number one on my Santa list this year, so what a deal if it goes through. Many thanks for finding and posting this, G!
Old 10-18-13, 05:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, thanks G!, I took a chance as well while leaving my Amazon order in place just in case.

Like ProfessorEcho this has been high on my list to get since it was first announced many months ago.
Old 10-18-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm in too I think this'll make a great Christmas gift for my dad.
Old 10-18-13, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't even know what it is, but for 4 seasons with that kind of cast, I took a chance.

Thanks, OP.
Old 10-18-13, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blind Buy but at less than .20 cents an episode, I took a gamble.
Old 10-18-13, 08:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Don't even know what it is, but for 4 seasons with that kind of cast, I took a chance.

Thanks, OP.
The first season is based on a 30 minute format, while the later three seasons were restructured to use an hour long format. I've seen a handful of episodes of each format. While the first season was fine, for me the hour long format was so much better and really gave all the guest stars an opportunity to shine. So if you do end up with it due to Walmart honoring the pricing, don't judge it just by the first season.
Old 10-19-13, 02:29 AM

I'm in. I first noticed this set in a DVD catalog that arrived last week. Under normal circumstances it might have made my wants list in two or three years, but this is too good to not try. MeTV has been running Naked City at 1am Sunday nights/Monday mornings, and while I haven't seen it lately, this is not a blind buy. Not every episode is a gem...some feel like the script was rushed or the budget too tight...but most of what I've seen is excellent. Gritty. Nuanced. And the sights of New York City from that time are fascinating. Put a camera on a street corner or a rooftop, and IMHO you have an instant page out of Life Magazine and a sharp counterpoint to the studio-bound, backlot-bound TV comedies of that era that typically come to mind. (At this point, I should also plug Route 66.)

The set is from Image, so I don't expect them to screw up the episodes with fake widescreen or some other faux pas, but I do hope they avoid that cardboard packaging with pockets for the disks that scratch them up before you ever get a chance to put them in the player.
Old 10-19-13, 07:23 AM
Banned

Thanks OP! Definitely placed an order for this one...also here's hoping this will go through....To be continued!
Old 10-19-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
The set is from Image, so I don't expect them to screw up the episodes with fake widescreen or some other faux pas, but I do hope they avoid that cardboard packaging with pockets for the disks that scratch them up before you ever get a chance to put them in the player.
Image has previously put out "City" episode sets in a piecemeal fashion, and there are reviews out there.
Old 10-19-13, 09:04 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Giving it a try, thanks g.
Old 10-19-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Put in an order. Loved the movie.
Old 10-19-13, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Put in an order. Loved the movie.
The movie and the TV series are different but equally good ... I was about 10 years old when the TV series first aired. I didn't watch it then ... The Untouchables or Rawhide were more my "cup of tea". When Naked City came out on DVD a couple years ago, I bought one of the multi disc volumes. After watching it, I started buying the other single and multi disc DVDs. I think I ended up with about 75% of the available DVDs but they were already OOP and expensive. I have already spent over $100 on Naked City DVDs.

Needless to say, I really like the show ... $27+ (w/ST) for the Complete Series is a steal for such a high quality show.
Old 10-19-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I placed an order earlier this morning and hope they honor this obvious price mistake. Amazon has the MSRP as $179.98, so the question is: How has Walmart handled such errors?
Well, here's an earlier example from The Consumerist, although at a much lower overall price differential.

Walmart Admits Pricing Error On Iron Man 2 DVD, Attempts To Make Nice
By Chris Morran September 14, 2010

"Earlier today, we wrote about the numerous complaints we’d received about some shady dealings over at Walmart.com. Seems that many, many people had been lured into pre-ordering the Blu-ray/Standard DVD/Digital Copy combo pack of Iron Man 2 at the price of $15, only to then receive an e-mail from Walmart that their orders were canceled “due to limited availability.” This struck many people as odd, since Walmart was still taking orders for the same item, but at a much higher price. And guess what — you were right.
"Consumerist reader David just forwarded us this follow-up e-mail he received from Walmart regarding his canceled order:

"You recently received an email from us that your order of Iron Man 2 (Blu-ray + Standard DVD + Digital Copy) (Widescreen) had been cancelled due to a limited supply issue. The cancellation was due to a pricing error on this item, not a supply issue. We’re sorry for the confusion and the inconvenience.
"To thank you for your understanding, we will honor the $15 price that was displayed at the time of your purchase. We will email you a $10.87 eGift Card to cover the difference from the current price of $24.96 plus tax. Your eGift card will be emailed within the next 24 hours and can be applied towards the purchase of this item or a different item. We’ll issue one eGift Card per affected customer; this card can be used online at Walmart.com only."
Old 10-19-13, 04:48 PM

For those of us that have already ordered this set at Walmart's posted price, our chances of receiving the set at the advertised price would probably be increased if the rest of you don't order this set from Walmart.com.

It's really a bad series ... I doubt if the rest of you will enjoy ...
Old 10-19-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I've managed to cut way back on blind buys in 2013, but I'm willing to give it a go at this price. Works out really well with other rebates (Discover card is currently offering 5% cash back on online purchases).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.