New Girl (FOX) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 9/17/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-17-13, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Synopsis:

JESS AND NICK TAKE THEIR RELATIONSHIP SOUTH OF THE BORDER ON THE ALL-NEW SEASON THREE PREMIERE OF"NEW GIRL" TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17 ON FOX

Picking up immediately after the events of the Season Two finale (Cece's cancelled wedding), Nick and Jess decide to go "all in" on their romantic relationship - which leads them to run away to a Mexican beach town. But when Nick runs into trouble with the authorities, it's Schmidt and Winston to the (possible) rescue, which may land Nick into even deeper trouble. Meanwhile, Schmidt makes a decision regarding Cece and Elizabeth (guest star Merritt Wever), and Winston becomes obsessed with completing a puzzle in the all-new "All In" season premiere episode of NEW GIRL airing Tuesday, Sept. 17 (9:00-9:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (NG-301) (TV-14 D, L, S)

Cast: Zooey Deschanel as Jess; Jake Johnson as Nick; Max Greenfield as Schmidt; Lamorne Morris as Winston; Hannah Simone as Cece.

Guest Cast: Merritt Wever as Elizabeth; Hemky Madera as Security Guard
(Gabriel)

Here we go, it's starting again. Summer is over. You better all be caught up with your shit.
Old 09-17-13, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts
re: New Girl (FOX) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 9/17/13

So, glad this is back. Absolutely love Schmidt... and Im straight. lol
Old 09-17-13, 01:18 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Tagline on billboard:

"Friends don't let friends do friends"

Old 09-17-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not really thrilled with the direction this is headed. I feel like I've already seen this recently in Chuck and Castle. As long as they keep it funny.
Old 09-18-13, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do we know when coach comes back and how he's going to fit back in. Room mate or just friend popping up everywhere?
Old 09-18-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I enjoy this show, but every episode feels like the writing is about 60% there, and the additional 40% completely misses or completely hits.

This is the sort of episode that had a lot of comedic value, had its funny moments, but also had some completely ridiculous moments that took you out of the story and reminded you you were watching a show.

I'll keep tuning in as my DVR catches it on suggestions, but it's just not "must see TV" for me anymore. Though I do love Schmidt! :P
Old 09-18-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

meh episode...
how does schmidt not choose cece???
Old 09-18-13, 09:07 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
meh episode...
how does schmidt not choose cece???
No kidding. If they had established Elizabeth as this total sweetheart of a girl I might buy it, but even putting aside looks she's never come off as an appealing personality. I get that she has a past with Schmidt and had good reason to have an attitude toward him, but they never evolved her past that negativity into an interesting, likable character.
Old 09-18-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, that was the complaint from the end of last season; Elizabeth didn't get enough time to be established and make it a real competition with Cece.

Nice episode, I thought it was funny to find out Winston was color blind.
Old 09-18-13, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I enjoy this show, but every episode feels like the writing is about 60% there, and the additional 40% completely misses or completely hits.

This is the sort of episode that had a lot of comedic value, had its funny moments, but also had some completely ridiculous moments that took you out of the story and reminded you you were watching a show.

I'll keep tuning in as my DVR catches it on suggestions, but it's just not "must see TV" for me anymore. Though I do love Schmidt! :P
Totally agree. Some episodes hit it out of the park, and some come off as trying way to hard to hit it out of the park, but whiff instead. Hence, I seem to be perpetually on the fence about this show.

Like most episodes, the premier did have some laughs, but felt a little listless overall, like many of the previous seasons' weaker eps. Not the grand opening to a new season that you like to see.
Old 09-18-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I actually laughed more at this episode than any other of the series..Sometimes I think that just comes down to me being in the right mood. But I don't remember it being this funny before.
Old 09-18-13, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Damn, Schmidt, what a douche bag! I hope they don't have him juggling Cece and Elizabeth too long in this season. Schmidt can be funny, but when he's a douche, it's so grating.

at Winston regarding Cece's underwear

"Yes, I needed your underwear to sew into my underwear."

"OMG, that's disgusting"

I literally LMAO at that comment.
Old 09-18-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

This was a great start to the season. Lots of funny material and they didn't ignore the developments from last season's finale. Even the stuff with Winston worked.
Old 09-18-13, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I was underwhelmed. They were yelling nearly every line at each other. It felt too staged.
Old 09-18-13, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sherm42
I was underwhelmed. They were yelling nearly every line at each other. It felt too staged.
Agreed. Couldn't figure out why I was having trouble with this episode and that was it. All they did was yell their lines
Old 09-19-13, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

Lol at Schmidt telling Nick to stop being selfish. I need you.... rofl.

They kinda drop the ball with cece/elizabeth, but I can see if a bit more going in why schmidt would kinda hesitate just a bit, even though it would have been damn funny if he had reminist for like 5 secs and then just straight out said "Cece, nuff said" lol
Old 09-19-13, 10:06 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

All I can think of when I hear "all in" is that episode of Bar Rescue.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vZxs6qqmqiM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-19-13, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The puzzle stuff was pretty funny. Overall not a home run but a decent start to the season.
Old 09-19-13, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Nice episode, I thought it was funny to find out Winston was color blind.
Enjoyed the episode and I like that they're giving Winston stuff to do in episodes since the last part of last season. He's had some good lines lately. The puzzle stuff and color blindness was funny.

"If you think your shoes are brown, what color do you think you are?"

"Is that an almond? You're using an almond as a puzzle piece." - not related to being color blind, but just another example of him being terrible at puzzles.
Old 09-20-13, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What a mess. The two girl thing is tired... it's look an old sitcom where the guy has to lie to two prom dates. Ugh.

And having the other two get together this early in the show doesn't make it likely... i don't know.
Old 09-23-13, 02:03 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i also wasn't that impressed

Not sure that Nick and Jess together works, it's kinda like when Angela and Tony got together on Who's the Boss, the show went downhill and tons of other shows where the tease of a relationship was better than the actual relationship
Old 09-23-13, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
i also wasn't that impressed

Not sure that Nick and Jess together works, it's kinda like when Angela and Tony got together on Who's the Boss, the show went downhill and tons of other shows where the tease of a relationship was better than the actual relationship
I agree. Too often the relationship brings down the show. Chuck was much better when he and Sarah were fighting or on the outs. Castle's romance is almost an aside. They don't focus on it a lot but I prefer the earlier seasons when the sexual tension was there and neither would admit to the attraction.
Old 09-23-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I agree. Too often the relationship brings down the show. Chuck was much better when he and Sarah were fighting or on the outs. Castle's romance is almost an aside. They don't focus on it a lot but I prefer the earlier seasons when the sexual tension was there and neither would admit to the attraction.
It demeans long-time viewers when they run that scenario for too long. Unresolved romantic tension has a certain shelf life. Most shows go bad because they switch to couples' humor when the two leads finally get together.
Old 09-24-13, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk God

New Girl -- "Nerd" -- 9/24/13

Synopsis:

When Jess desperately tries to fit in with a clique of "mean girl" teachers at her new school, she (mistakenly) turns to Nick for advice on how to deal with them. Meanwhile, an office party is anything but fun for Schmidt, and Winston plots revenge while cat-sitting for Daisy (guest star Song), whom he suspects is cheating on him in the all-new "Nerd" episode of NEW GIRL airing Tuesday, Sept. 24 (9:00-9:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (NG-302) (TV-14 D, L)

Cast: Zooey Deschanel as Jess; Jake Johnson as Nick; Max Greenfield as Schmidt; Lamorne Morris as Winston; Hannah Simone as Cece.

Guest Cast: Merritt Wever as Elizabeth; Dreama Walker as Molly; Angela Kinsey as Rose, Eva Amurri Martino as Beth; Brenda Song as Daisy; Curtis Armstrong as Dr. Foster; Emily Ratajkowski as Kiki; Mark Proksch as Dan
Old 09-25-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: New Girl -- "Nerd" -- 9/24/13

Loved this episode. Winston's interaction with the cat.? Schmidt and juggling Elizabeth and cece. Loved the tall drink of water that works in schmidts office

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.