TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Blacklist -- "The Stewmaker" -- 10/14/13

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Blacklist -- "The Stewmaker" -- 10/14/13

Synopsis:

AN EYEWITNESSES TESTIMONY IS THE ONLY THING THAT CAN HELP INDICT A WANTED DRUG LORD - CLIFTON COLLINS JR. GUEST STARS - While continuing her investigation into the truth about Tom (Ryan Eggold), Liz (Megan Boone) testifies against drug lord, Hector Lorca (guest star Clifton Collins Jr.). Later another witness is abducted when he is forced to testify against the dangerous drug trafficker. Red's (James Spader) interest is peaked and he informs the team that the witness may have been taken by "The Stewmaker" a man responsible for hundreds of missing and presumed dead people. Meanwhile, in an unlikely twist of events, Red and Ressler (Diego Klattehoff) must work together for the first time. Harry Lennix and Parminder Nagra also star.

Episode 4 of 22

Sorry to be posting a little late. I got caught up with some stuff at home.
Old 10-15-13, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: The Blacklist -- "The Stewmaker" -- 10/14/13

Holy shit! I did not expect that ending at all. Crazy ending. Reddington is the man!!

With the exception of that laughably bad CGI chopper explosion and fire, that was a pretty good episode. The Stewmaker was an interesting villain. I think adding a horror element to it made the episode a lot more effective. Noonan was genuinely creepy as the character.

Boone was good in that scene where the Stewmaker was prepping her for disposal. You really had a sense of the terror in her eyes.

So far through 4 weeks, it's been a pretty effective show. Having some recurring storylines as well as the Blacklist people of the week.

Awesome to see Robert Knepper as an upcoming Blacklister.
Old 10-15-13, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

This show is interesting because it really should be bad and come off as silly, but it doesn't. I find it quite interesting, surprising and bold in some ways. Surprise of the season so far for me.
Old 10-15-13, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

For a moment I got a feeling the FBI was going to show up at a wrong house, ala "Silence of the Lambs." The Stewmaker was very creepy.

I wonder if the girl in the photo was Red's daughter.
Old 10-15-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
For a moment I got a feeling the FBI was going to show up at a wrong house, ala "Silence of the Lambs." The Stewmaker was very creepy.

I wonder if the girl in the photo was Red's daughter.
Spoiler:
Pretty sure Elizabeth Keen is his daughter as well
Old 10-15-13, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching this while working and know I missed a couple things. What was with the "lightbulb moment" at the end when she was looking at the brochure? They zoomed in on the words and I'm guessing it was important. I'm going to re-watch but I still have to get through a bunch of last week's backlog in the DVR so hoping someone else paid closer attention than I.
Old 10-15-13, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

she saw the name "Angel Station" which was the name of the case file.
Old 10-15-13, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Decent episode. I was definitely creeped out by the Stewmaker. Still loving this show.

Must-watch for me "live" each week.
Old 10-16-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

The Stewmaker was a good villain, though the court trial and drug dealer took up too much screen time. It's a good thing they aren't turning Spader into the classic bad guy with a good heart trope.
Old 10-17-13, 01:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Great episode this week. There's no disguising Noonan -- knew that was him from the first scene when he had the wig and glasses on. Great villain (then again, isn't he always?).

The stuff with the drug dealer was marginal at best, but that's my only complaint. I like how each episode they pepper in more clues about Tom's past.
Old 10-17-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Great episode this week. There's no disguising Noonan -- knew that was him from the first scene when he had the wig and glasses on. Great villain (then again, isn't he always?).

The stuff with the drug dealer was marginal at best, but that's my only complaint. I like how each episode they pepper in more clues about Tom's past.
He will always be a villian to me. Either the Tooth Fairy or The Ripper. Those are all I think of whenever I see Mr. Noonan.
Old 10-18-13, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Good job, Liz, almost getting caught by your husband looking shit up about him and working on it at home. Why don't you go get the box out again? Better yet, why not just sit on the couch with him and watch the Bourne movies to see if he acts funny and uncomfortable?

I know she's supposed to be a 'profiler', but I found it too convenient how she was able to get the stewmaker to open up. So I know he had pics of his victims, but what was in the jars? Teeth?
Old 10-18-13, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Very impressed with this series. I hope it can sustain this level of intensity and interest. IMHO they are doing a great job with the little crumbs of information we get each week that keeps us hanging.
Old 10-18-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I know she's supposed to be a 'profiler', but I found it too convenient how she was able to get the stewmaker to open up.
I was going to post something about this. With all the hundreds of people he's killed, you'd think by now he would either tape their mouths shut or just learn to shut them out.
Old 10-19-13, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I was going to post something about this. With all the hundreds of people he's killed, you'd think by now he would either tape their mouths shut or just learn to shut them out.
No, he's never killed them. He's just been a cleaner and always made the bodies disappear. Keene would have been the first time he'd ever actually kill someone.
Old 10-19-13, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Spoiler:
Pretty sure Elizabeth Keen is his daughter as well
I shouldn't have clicked on that. I think it's accurate now.
Old 10-19-13, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
No, he's never killed them. He's just been a cleaner and always made the bodies disappear. Keene would have been the first time he'd ever actually kill someone.
You may be right. I'll have to rewatch it. If that's the case then it was stupid to hire him to kill her if he's never done it before.
Old 10-19-13, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Really? It sure looked like he had before when Red was flipping through the photo album. Half of the people looked like they were alive.

That, and I believe the witness that he dissolved in the motel was still alive. I'll have to rewatch as well.
Old 10-19-13, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I got the feeling that the cleaner had killed before but the victims were unconscious when they were thrown into the chemical bath. Since the stewmaker received instructions to make Liz suffer, she was awake and talking which our friendly neighborhood sociopath wasn't used to. I could be wrong though.
Old 10-20-13, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I got the feeling that the cleaner had killed before but the victims were unconscious when they were thrown into the chemical bath. Since the stewmaker received instructions to make Liz suffer, she was awake and talking which our friendly neighborhood sociopath wasn't used to. I could be wrong though.
Now that makes me want to rewatch it to find out.
Old 10-20-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay just rewatched it. Early in the episode, Red is explaining how the Stewmaker got his name. That infers he's just the cleanup guy.

But...Later when Stewie is talking to Liz, he talks about transference of energy "when the body dies." He just does it faster, cleaner, better than nature. He then he says he was asked to make her suffer, "sorry, it's my job." Liz then says that he's not a killer to which Stewie says "I'm a lot of things, Liz." Previously they showed a set of torture implements. At this point he pulls out a needle and tells Liz about a cluster of nerves that's painful. One can infer he's an expert in torture. He gives Liz a shot that will paralyze her but allow her to feel pain. His photo book showed some victims looking off to the side. They were probably still alive but paralyzed.
Old 10-20-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/10/20/th...st-dvr-record/

Show set a DVR record. Added about 6M viewers via DVR for episode 2.

Really shows how inaccurate overnight ratings can be.
Old 10-28-13, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I love how Spader is racking up a huge body count and no one is going to do anything about it
in the end he'll either be allowed to walk away or he'll just escape