Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

ATTN: WBShop Order fulfiller hacked, Check your CC's

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MifuneFan
Posted over at bluray.com. This is probably best for the retall section, but not everyone looks there. If you ordered anything at WBShop in June or later, it's quite possible that your credit card and other information stored has been compromised. Datapak, the company that fulfills orders for WBShop has been hacked, and myself and several others on here have gotten fraudulent charges on their credit cards. My charge was in late August, and others have seen similar charges around the same time.

So please make sure you look at your CC activity and see if there's anything you didn't purchase on there. You should also be receiving mailing directly from DataPak, so don't just throw it away if you see it.

If the mods want to move this to the Retail/Shopping section, it's fine with me, just wanted to post it here to give the heads-up to as many people as possible.
I caught a authorization charge on my account for $125 at a gas station called "Royal Farms" which was in Baltimore, MD. Luckily I check my credit card just about every night so I caught it and the credit card company cancelled the card before a bunch of charges were made.

Just wanted to get the word out since I know alot of peeps order from wbshop.com
Old 10-07-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: ATTN: WBShop Order fulfiller hacked, Check your CC's

Yep, victim here. Thankfully, my CC company caught the bogus charges and alerted me about it back in August. Scary stuff, that's for sure. I'll never shop with WBShop again unless they start accepting PayPal. I realize that any site can get hacked, but they've lost what little trust I had in them after this.

Datapak is offering one year of ID theft protection from AllClear ID to effected customers. Does anyone plan to sign up for this service, or should replacing the card be sufficient enough? What a f*cking headache!
Old 10-07-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Replacing the card should be enough. These 3-digit security numbers on cards are a joke. They should be requiring a 4-digit PIN on all transactions. The PIN should be mailed to your billing address, then memorize it, and use it. If you forget your PIN...a new card must be issued.
Old 10-07-13, 09:07 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Is the problem fixed over at wbshop.com? Did the letter say if new orders are ok. They have quite a DVD and BD sale right now.
Old 10-07-13, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by g
Is the problem fixed over at wbshop.com? Did the letter say if new orders are ok.
Datapak never specified which retailer the security breach was related to, but people have put two and two together. I just dug up my old WBShop packing slips and they do have www.datapakservices.com printed on them. This is quoted directly from the letter they're sending out:
Datapak recently learned that malware was placed on our systems on March 5, 2013 and could have been used to access personal information. Upon learning of this incident we immediately contained and secured the potentially affected parts of the system. We launched an internal investigation and we retained independent third-party security experts. Working with these security experts, we took steps to further contain and secure the potentially affected parts of the system. The investigation is ongoing and we are cooperating with the credit card companies and law enforcement.
Despite their phrasing, the compromise was hardly "potential" -- they were full on hacked. Just check out the dozens of folks coming out of the woodwork to report fraudulent charges on bluray.com.
Old 10-07-13, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Victim here, too. I received a letter from DataPak today. I had over $400.00 charged to my card back in June. Luckily, my CC company caught the bogus charges as well, and they were great to work with to clear things up and issue me a new card.
Old 10-07-13, 10:00 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I received the datapack services letter in the mail today as well - and thought this was to do with Rakuten (buy.com), there's another thread out there with the Warner Digibooks where people (including me) have posted on their CC hacks from purchase on Rakuten - perhaps it was not that at all. I have my CC stored on WBshop and maybe that's how it got hacked. $127 attempted on Walmart.com. something at a rental car agency and another one at a site called AntiqueInn.
Old 10-07-13, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just went to my account to see what c/c I had on file. I had 3 on file, but all were expired. Whew! Looks like I got lucky. I hope you all get everything resolved without issue...
Old 10-07-13, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjim25
I caught a authorization charge on my account for $125 at a gas station called "Royal Farms" which was in Baltimore, MD. Luckily I check my credit card just about every night so I caught it and the credit card company cancelled the card before a bunch of charges were made.

Just wanted to get the word out since I know alot of peeps order from wbshop.com
The exact thing happened to me at the same store. However, my credit card company declined it and contacted me immediately. How does anyone spend over a hundred dollars at a gas station? Must have been grocery shopping there.
Old 10-07-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I actually wasn't sure who Datapakservices services... So I was going to do a web search.. as it was ambiguous as to which site or sites could have had the issue.. now I am concerned.. although nothing has happened ... yet..
Old 10-07-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Interesting, I don't have a card saved with them... maybe I didn't so I may be safe.. going to monitor my CC much closer for a while though... and the letter didn't say ordered with or saved with anyone.. just used with some online retailers.. so maybe Datapakservices keeps a copy.. wonderful..
Old 10-07-13, 10:32 PM

If criminals have been cloning our cards and using them out in the open (gas stations, ffs?), I sure hope some arrests have been made. With so many people getting hit with bogus charges from the same establishments, it should be easy for law enforcement to nail these scumbags.
Old 10-07-13, 10:56 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

My credit card company detected invalid purchases a couple months back, and issued me new cards. Then today I get the notice from datapakservices about the "malware". I bought the Harry Potter Ultimates in the summer from wbshop.
Old 10-07-13, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Glad I don't use WB Shop very much, my last orders were in February. Double checked the statements for the card I had on file and didn't find anything suspicious. I removed the card from the web site though and can't say I'll be shopping with them again anytime soon (not that I did much to begin with).
Old 10-07-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My card company caught fraudulent charges in August. Some music store in Alaska for $10 and $3000 in plane tickets for a trip to somewhere in Asia. Both were denied and a new card was issued. I also bought things from WB this year. Thanks datapak!
Old 10-07-13, 11:55 PM

I had a $300 CC charge from Best Buy that I didn't make. I told my card company about it and shortly after got an email from Best Buy asking me to review my "latest purchase" - a $300 digital camera. Then the letter from Datapak showed up.

It would appear to be a variety of retailers they were handling charges for.
Old 10-08-13, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
... I'll never shop with WBShop again unless they start accepting PayPal.
I sincerely hope not. I absolutely despise PayPal. If PP is the only payment option, I usually don't order.

I realize that any site can get hacked, but they've lost what little trust I had in them after this.
Well... I have zip trust in PayPal for a number of reasons... there's plenty online on why not to trust/use PayPal, but I have personal ones. It's been about a decade, but within a year of each other, two different credit cards I had set up with PayPal were used for fraudulent charges within a week of registering them with PayPal. Pretty much zero chance either number was gotten thru another way. I wasn't much of a CC user then (preferred cash... still do) and neither card had been used for about three weeks... and not anywhere out of state where the fraudulent online charges were made.

In both cases the CC's fraud depts notified me in time. I got new cards, but I don't need that aggravation any more... and haven't had it since then (knocks on wood).
Old 10-08-13, 01:45 AM

Fucking mystery solved!!! Thank you! I had $150 charged to my account late august for a SriLankin airline. I wondered how the hell they got me and spent hours searching every nook and cranny of my computer for keystroke loggers. The only thing I ordered this summer was the Fringe full series bluray set for $20 during the pricing error. Got all my money back.
Old 10-08-13, 02:14 AM

I posted this in the thread in the DVD bargain section, but I'll post it here too:

I checked my statements for 2013 and no fraudulent charges were made. I have used WBShop, however that was after March 2013. I also didn't create an account with WBShop and store my credit card with them, I just checked out as a guest. I'm relieved all is well, but I'm definitely going to be checking my statements more often. I'm also more concerned about using my credit card anywhere but Amazon now.
Old 10-08-13, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DvdClon
I had a $300 CC charge from Best Buy that I didn't make. I told my card company about it and shortly after got an email from Best Buy asking me to review my "latest purchase" - a $300 digital camera. Then the letter from Datapak showed up.

It would appear to be a variety of retailers they were handling charges for.
If you got an email from BB to review your purchase, then it sounds like your BB account was hacked. That sounds unrelated from this c/c fraud. The only way you'd get an email like that was if it was ordered from your account...
Old 10-08-13, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Roybq
My card company caught fraudulent charges in August. Some music store in Alaska for $10 and $3000 in plane tickets for a trip to somewhere in Asia. Both were denied and a new card was issued. I also bought things from WB this year. Thanks datapak!
Either these criminals were really really smart, or really really stupid. I would think they could easily be caught and arrested if airline tickets were purchased. It's not like you could easily use a fake name for those. Unless they were so good that they also make fake passports.
Old 10-08-13, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine got compromised around August as well, had to get a new card, and my company caught the charges.
Old 10-08-13, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Were the only people who got their CC info stolen the ones keeping it on file on their website? I made two purchases with them this year. Once in March and another time last week. But haven't seen or heard anything about this until today.
Old 10-08-13, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

If criminals have been cloning our cards and using them out in the open (gas stations, ffs?), I sure hope some arrests have been made. With so many people getting hit with bogus charges from the same establishments, it should be easy for law enforcement to nail these scumbags.
I made mention of what happened to me in the WB digibook thread and this took place within the last 3 weeks.

From what the local police fraud dept. officer told me and my wife, the banks/cc companies will more than likely write it off as a cost of doing business unless the charges run in excess of $10,000. He said they may or may not do it then depending on exactly how much the total is. He said reason being that with it costing so much to investigate that they would come out cheaper just replacing the money rather than paying someone to look into it. Not sure if this is entirely true, but just relaying what we were told.

Now my wife was able to find out from one of the reps. from Wal-Mart's online site that the person/people who got a hold of my info were having their items shipped to a city about an hour from where we live. So we were thinking that maybe someone got my info through a "skimmer". But I also made a purchase back during the Harry Potter sale and the Fringe pricing error deal. Not sure if these two things are a coincidence(card hack, WB hack) since the items were being shipped so close to where I live, but it does make me wonder a little more.
Old 10-08-13, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Were the only people who got their CC info stolen the ones keeping it on file on their website? I made two purchases with them this year. Once in March and another time last week. But haven't seen or heard anything about this until today.
I didn't keep my info on file on the WBShop site, but I still got my CC compromised. I entered my CC info manually on their site for each order, since I rarely order from them.

Now I think I'll order from them even less!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.